Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

mystes posted:

I don't know if this is necessarily a huge deal to me but but it would probably be enough to make me choose ASUS if there was no other huge difference between similar boards from multiple companies.

agreed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I got a bunch of system firmware upgrades for a Lenovo X1 through LVFS. Also an over-the-air enablement of the fingerprint scanner which didn't previously work under Linux.

LVFS is good

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
LVFS whips, yeah. I'm glad its being further adapted.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
https://twitter.com/vmg/status/1325218229921439744

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

one more for good measure

AMD SoC PMC Driver Slated To Come With Linux 5.11

the linux support for new amd laptop hardware has been shoddy for a while, nice that they finally got it in

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
museum near me is having a train history exhibit but i get such nostalgia whenever i see "steam locomotive" written out

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

I've snuck it into the ansible role common to every single linux computer in our org.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Antigravitas posted:

I've snuck it into the ansible role common to every single linux computer in our org.

in my last position at one of our customers i built a small static infra portal website for peeps to access tools and hid an ASCII art wu-tang clan logo at the end of the CSS file. people really liked the portal so it got copied around to a few of our other customers so wu-tang is now truly forever

edit: vvv my SSID at home is named "Wu-Tang LAN" which i'm pretty sure i stole from someone here vvv

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Nov 12, 2020

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
it really was the wu tang LAN

Forums Medic
Oct 2, 2010

i be out there in orbit
wu tan clang

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Soiled Meat

Antigravitas posted:

i have some ascii art on all our poo poo that is a chicken with "LOW CHICKEN PRICES" on it.

it's very useful and makes me smile whenever it pops up randomly on a page somewhere or in stdout.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Cowsay can be templated pretty easily. I've used it on login nodes to wall at people. But sl holds a special place in my heart.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

P sure there is a cowsay mod to fortune anyway, just use that

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

P sure there is a cowsay mod to fortune anyway, just use that

cowsay is a separate package these days. also it's enabled in ansible by default, a truly bizarre decision and a point of contention since forever: https://docs.ansible.com/ansible/latest/reference_appendices/faq.html#how-do-i-disable-cowsay

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
smdh if you dont turn on cowsay in ansible.cfg with every pr

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
smdh if you have to be involved with ansible

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
smh if you don’t use :goonsay: instead

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Soricidus posted:

smdh if you have to be involved with ansible

yeah

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
? The only thing better than Ansible is NixOS and nobody will let you use that for anything

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
:psyduck:

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
lol if you don't use chef

or, more correctly, the non-chef redistribution of it a la centos https://cinc.sh

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
seriously what automation framework should i use, I've been waiting things out by not automating anything

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

psiox posted:

lol if you don't use chef

or, more correctly, the non-chef redistribution of it a la centos https://cinc.sh

I used Chef for years and that's how I know why people don't use it anymore

Jowj
Dec 25, 2010

My favourite player and idol. His battles with his wrists mirror my own battles with the constant disgust I feel towards my zerg bugs.

xtal posted:

? The only thing better than Ansible is NixOS and nobody will let you use that for anything

this is my experience so far too but i haven’t tried terraform, so i guess maybe that?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
they’re all bad in different ways, but ansible is a yaml based dsl with a template syntax that is a particularly poor fit for yaml syntax so it’s automatically the worst

terraform does something a bit different and hcl is only better than yaml because it has more entertainment value ...

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
yaml is real bad, and that makes ansible bad

it's a shame, because ansible would be good otherwise

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

ansible works for me op :shrug:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

starbucks hermit posted:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

whats a good laptop to run fedora on im bout ready to jump off the mac train cause big sur looks like dog poo poo. just dell or thinkpad whatever fits my specs?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

my bitter bi rival posted:

whats a good laptop to run fedora on im bout ready to jump off the mac train cause big sur looks like dog poo poo. just dell or thinkpad whatever fits my specs?

That depends OP: where do you stand on the issue of whether or not threads should be ripped?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

ThinkPad from 2008

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Perplx posted:

seriously what automation framework should i use, I've been waiting things out by not automating anything

it's not 2012 anymore so ignore the ansible and chef likers. the world has moved on and those tools are a dead end. build images with packer and deploy them with terraform or cloudformation

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

packer looks cool I will try it next week

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

starbucks hermit posted:

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

yes

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

try to get thunderbolt

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

xtal posted:

ThinkPad from 2008

you honestly will have a much better time with hardware support if you get a laptop that is a few years old

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

get an arm Mac but run arm fedora in a vm
I’m only half kidding

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

but dont use fedora because fedora is dogshit. debian + kde, or arch if you're an insane linux pervert like me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Perplx posted:

get an arm Mac but run arm fedora in a vm
I’m only half kidding

can't you just, get an arm mac and run arm fedora on it

or is there some compatibility issue because apple

comedy option: arm windows in a vm