Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tangerines
Apr 25, 2016

Sirbloody posted:

At AR28 what should I be burning my resin on? Last few days I been doing exp books for the Childe banner but I figured I should be doing something more worthwhile now.

I would also like to know this. I've been getting talent ups and ascension mats but outside of that just exp books. Not sure when I want to move onto artifacts but assuming 35?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.

Sirbloody posted:

At AR28 what should I be burning my resin on? Last few days I been doing exp books for the Childe banner but I figured I should be doing something more worthwhile now.

I am at AR45, and in retrospect, I wish I farmed skill books more. It helps that the drop rate for these doesn't massively change later on, unlike most other things you can farm.

Weapon upgrade materials are also something you might want to grind out a bit early on. Once you hit AR40 and especially 45, you are going to want to dump way more resin into farming artifacts, since they are almost pointless to farm before 40 since you won't get any 5 star artifacts until then.

If you can't see anything reasonable to farm, it's never bad to hit up mora ley lines, as mora is a constant bottleneck later on.

EDIT: I just burned 20 resin on the AR45 skill book domain rank, and I got 3 green and 2 blue skill books. Rates are just garbage for those no matter how high a rank you run.

Mistikman fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 12, 2020

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I'd say the first thing to knock out, because it's the easiest to know if you're ready or not, is your weapon and character ascension materials. You can see exactly what you need and how much, so just have those loaded and ready to go as soon as you hit the next ascension threshold.

Second is exp books, third is talent books, fourth is mora. The reason why I rank exp books over talent books is because there's a fairly big bump in talent book drops at AR36 (you get a second silver guaranteed, which is equivalent to +3 bronze books per run), so it's honestly just easier to make sure your exp is maxed out and locked down first.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I posted this in the last thread, but there is a data gathering discord where people are collecting information on runs so that they can narrow down the probabilities to get ascension mats and artifacts etc. Some domain levels don't have a big sample size yet, but you can draw some conclusions. Here is the google doc:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ogaEsOEzGdnh-EccL6Y5FSOcEGKFdTFpEW9w5Vo-HCY/edit#gid=538920321

And here is their discord if you want to submit info from a run:

https://discord.com/invite/ydwdYmr

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Hi I love genshin impact.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Tsyni posted:

I posted this in the last thread, but there is a data gathering discord where people are collecting information on runs so that they can narrow down the probabilities to get ascension mats and artifacts etc. Some domain levels don't have a big sample size yet, but you can draw some conclusions. Here is the google doc:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ogaEsOEzGdnh-EccL6Y5FSOcEGKFdTFpEW9w5Vo-HCY/edit#gid=538920321

And here is their discord if you want to submit info from a run:

https://discord.com/invite/ydwdYmr

I'm the 100% prototype drop rate for the single reported WL2 wolf run

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It's a great idea but yeah the data's just not there yet. Boss drop scaling is so important for planning purposes and atm it's a black box. Right now I'm planning on doing zero bosses between AR45 and AR50 because they're the only thing besides world bosses that continue to scale past AR45.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Childe was already pretty cool before this patch but the main story and his character story really endeared him to me way more. What a lovable and concerning borderline psychopath.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
That is an A+ tier opener OP. Well done.

edit: Maybe say what a gatcha game is? This game is the first I've ever heard of it.

ninjoatse.cx fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 12, 2020

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.
I threw 3 10 rolls at the banner because I wanted Ninguang and managed to get every other character on the banner and bonus Mona but no Ninguang. :stare: The gacha works in mysterious ways

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
genshin is good because few games let you be so overly snarky to your cutesy mascot companion

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Rolled 10 wishes on the banner. Got Beidou AND Childe :black101:

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Tangerines posted:

I would also like to know this. I've been getting talent ups and ascension mats but outside of that just exp books. Not sure when I want to move onto artifacts but assuming 35?

Artifacts should be at minimum 40, but prerably 45. The reason for this is 45 when it guarantees 5* artifacts from domains, and given the artifact xp and mora limitations you don't want to be upgrading stuff that you will replace short-medium term.

I am AR 43 and still run a mix of 4* / 5* world boss drops on my 2 main dps, hand me down blues on support Fischl and random unupgraded junk on all my other characters. I have clear floor 10 of abyss but am stuck there as i don't have a second water character to get the 6th star with my somewhat unoptimised team.

Until AR 40 concentrate on getting your 2 main dps prepared so you can upgrade the character to 78 and their weapons up to 80 as soon as you unlock it, then work on getting your supports ascended at level 60 for the second passive, and farm their talents and weapons up.

By 45 you should have level 6 talents for the necessary talents of people you use(ie don't level the auto attack if they aren't main dps, you probably don't need to go all the way to 6 on Qiqis ult because it heals you to full without that, Fischl doesn't really need her ult ugraded etc.), a good range of 4* level 80 weapons across your main cast, most of your main guys at L60/70 with the main dps near L80, and saving up some mora.

Then you can run artifact domains for a couple of levels before getting prepared for AR50 ascensions.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

UltraRed posted:

That is an A+ tier opener OP. Well done.

edit: Maybe say what a gatcha game is? This game is the first I've ever heard of it.

It's a japanese word for basically games with realmoney lootbox/gambling systems to unlock new characters.
It's named after "gachapon" vending machines where you stick a quarter in and get a capsule with a random toy:

Don't spend real money on genshin impact unless you really know what you're getting into though. The prices are pretty terrible and depending on RNG you could spend nearly $300 on rolls before getting the current featured 5* character.
e: Or you could get it in your first 10 f2p rolls, congrats :toot:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The most optimal long-term way to spend your time after AR40 is to farm all of the weapon ascension mats you will ever need. I don't think I'm really that patient though.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Childe was already pretty cool before this patch but the main story and his character story really endeared him to me way more. What a lovable and concerning borderline psychopath.

The character and story writing in 1.1 was really fun, I hope they can keep it up because it's one of the best parts of the game so far

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Why do the test runs pair up the featured character with Kaeya so often? Not a great way to sell people on them, lol

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
the trials use free characters as party members because everyone has them and are more likely to be familiar with their kits, so the focus can be on learning/messing around with the showcase character

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

No Wave posted:

The most optimal long-term way to spend your time after AR40 is to farm all of the weapon ascension mats you will ever need. I don't think I'm really that patient though.

The aim of optimising is to maximise the amount of primogems you get from the abyss so you can roll more. If you just farmed weapon mats then you are missing out on a large amount of gems short-medium term.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Thinking of running who is the best carry out of Beidou/Childe/Xianling ? Thinking of swapping out my MC carry so I don't lose out on 1/4 of that character experience. I like having a claymore user in the party and am thinking of swapping out Noelle

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

UltraRed posted:

Thinking of running who is the best carry out of Beidou/Childe/Xianling ? Thinking of swapping out my MC carry so I don't lose out on 1/4 of that character experience. I like having a claymore user in the party and am thinking of swapping out Noelle

The experience from actually fighting stuff is basically 0, it seems like an afterthought. And it doesn't seem to scale up at all at higher world levels, so it's even more pointless beyond level 20-40.
For the most part you're gonna want to use your exp books on whoever your main carry is ASAP.

Childe is a fun character who does tons of dps during his melee form but has to wait for a long cooldown after swapping out of it, so if you wanna use him you'll end up having to use twice the resources leveling up a second carry for your party to use during the 50% of the the time Childe is stuck in bow form. (This is cheap early on, but leveling stuff up gets much more expensive later and it's pretty tough to keep more than 1-3 characters at the level cap).

Xiangling works great as a carry because of a special interaction with the Crescent Pike craftable weapon from the forge. It basically doubles her normal attack DPS. So if you want to use her, make sure to pick that up.
Beidou has a claymore which is always fun but doesn't really have anything else boosting her carry potential until you get her level 60 passive. She shines best when you swap to her, get some big burst damage with her counter skill, then swap off to someone else while it's on cooldown.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Why do I still need to switch to controller every time, and why can't I use my mouse and controller? Also, artifact sorting view isn't saved. It's annoying.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I think you will have much more fun with 99% of the game tearing up the overworld with Childe. His abyss struggles are kind of real but I am much happier with Childe in the lead and Xiangling swapping to support. I'd only rather have Xiangling vs overleveled Fatui, Samachurls, and the wolf, Childe has a much easier time with everything else.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 12, 2020

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tsyni posted:

Why do I still need to switch to controller every time, and why can't I use my mouse and controller?

when programming inputs, allowing players to double up on input methods can lead to extremely horrible gamebreaking problems the likes of which nothing else in the world can create

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The experience from actually fighting stuff is basically 0, it seems like an afterthought. And it doesn't seem to scale up at all at higher world levels, so it's even more pointless beyond level 20-40.
For the most part you're gonna want to use your exp books on whoever your main carry is ASAP.

Childe is a fun character who does tons of dps during his melee form but has to wait for a long cooldown after swapping out of it, so if you wanna use him you'll end up having to use twice the resources leveling up a second carry for your party to use during the 50% of the the time Childe is stuck in bow form. (This is cheap early on, but leveling stuff up gets much more expensive later and it's pretty tough to keep more than 1-3 characters at the level cap).

Xiangling works great as a carry because of a special interaction with the Crescent Pike craftable weapon from the forge. It basically doubles her normal attack DPS. So if you want to use her, make sure to pick that up.
Beidou has a claymore which is always fun but doesn't really have anything else boosting her carry potential until you get her level 60 passive. She shines best when you swap to her, get some big burst damage with her counter skill, then swap off to someone else while it's on cooldown.

I've already capped out Xiangling, for my second carry in the abyss, so I'll put some points into Childe. Thanks

Also, I meant friendship exp. Can't be friends with the MC

ninjoatse.cx fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 12, 2020

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

The White Dragon posted:

when programming inputs, allowing players to double up on input methods can lead to extremely horrible gamebreaking problems the likes of which nothing else in the world can create

Depending on how fast they can switch, it would be as simple as "press a key or move the mouse, switch to kb/m input. Press a controller button, switch to controller"

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
that ending to 1.1 was certainly worth a chuckle.
Zhongli just upending the entire rule of his nation-state, destroying the fed, handing all his power to the bad guys, then loving off.

"Nooooooo!!! You can't just abandon 3700 years of contracts to go off adventuring!!"

"What's mora?"

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

The White Dragon posted:

Ok, but what about just in menus? Lots of games seem to be able to switch when you hit a key of the other input twice

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

UltraRed posted:

Done! Hope my explanation makes sense lol

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Someone mentioned Jean and Barbara are sisters, and I noticed afterwards they have the same eyes. Nice touch.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tsyni posted:

Ok, but what about just in menus? Lots of games seem to be able to switch when you hit a key of the other input twice

that's true genshin is especially bad about this. but as far as i can tell they're using incontrol to manage their gamepad inputs, and THAT is poorly documented and fairly :psyduck: on the best of days. having to toggle between keyboard and gamepad detecting mode to tiptoe around it sounds just about right

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Tsyni posted:

Someone mentioned Jean and Barbara are sisters, and I noticed afterwards they have the same eyes. Nice touch.

Its in Jean's friendship story unlocks at least. It says that Jean's mother was a knight and her dad was an adventurer, after a while he went into the church becoming the deacon or something. They got divorced and mom kept custody of Jean and dad of Barbara. It also mentions they aren't really any speaking terms

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Dear Mihoyo,

Please remove Elemental Sight and everything that uses it. I just spent 30 minutes trying to find my bounties and didn't find poo poo.

Thank you,
Ultrared

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

UltraRed posted:

Dear Mihoyo,

Please remove Elemental Sight and everything that uses it. I just spent 30 minutes trying to find my bounties and didn't find poo poo.

Thank you,
Ultrared

Are you not following the airflow?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

UltraRed posted:

Dear Mihoyo,

Thank you,
Ultrared
There's a faint blue stink line that flows pointing you in the general direction the scavenger hunt is targeted at.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I just want the bounties to stop being immune to pyro damage so I can use my kitted out Klee.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
This game has one of the better controller supports that I've seen at just detecting a controller is plugged in. In quite a few other older games I've played the program would only recognize a controller if it was plugged in before the program started while this one can detect a controller mid session.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

yea i get it tho elemental sight is just really clunky and uninteresting and doesn't really add anything to the game i feel like

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n
When you first get to a bounty area, you have to hunt down "traces" of the bounty, which will be either an interactable spot on the ground, an environmental pickup you have to grab (like mint) or an enemy you have to defeat. Elemental sight will show you a blue-colored airflow pointing in the direction of a trace, like Tae and Anime Schoolgirl said, and will also show a red glowy mark over the pickup/enemy that has the trace (if you can see it from where you're standing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

id rather the elemental sight just be a toggle since it seems like just holding it down won't keep it going currently. turning it on constantly when doing something is just kinda annoying