Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Wasn't he having a meltdown/existential crisis about being an online content creator. Maybe merch is the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005
I just assumed that they have all this poo poo around the office that they don't know what to do with. So why not create some goodwill and stuff some if it in a random tshirt order? Seems harmless enough. The first foil shirts sold out super fast before anyone knew there was a potential prize I think.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Purgatory Glory posted:

I just assumed that they have all this poo poo around the office that they don't know what to do with. So why not create some goodwill and stuff some if it in a random tshirt order? Seems harmless enough. The first foil shirts sold out super fast before anyone knew there was a potential prize I think.

Nope!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0t617WK10I&t=2069s

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
They're gonna be giving away a 3080 somehow too haha
edit : A Colorful with an LCD screen on it. Through the LTT store somehow. I dunno I didn't pay too much attention

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Purgatory Glory posted:

The amount of monetizing, marketing and min maxing everything by Linus just makes me think that "give" is not in his vocabulary. But also I do know he does a lot of cool stuff for his employees (allegedly) so of course it's not that simple. In short, Linus is a land of contrasts.

...so he's basically doing raffles without calling them raffles? lol

Jeff Fatwood fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Nov 10, 2020

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I think he's actually pretty nice, but a business person first.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Waiter: Thank you for eating at Cracker Barrel.
You:. Wait, hold on. What's this?!?!
Waiter: An after dinner mint
You: Uuuhhhh, I didn't expect this though?!?!?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Jeff Fatwood posted:

The amount of monetizing, marketing and min maxing everything by Linus just makes me think that "give" is not in his vocabulary. But also I do know he does a lot of cool stuff for his employees (allegedly) so of course it's not that simple. In short, Linus is a land of contrasts.

...so he's basically doing raffles without calling them raffles? lol

I took it to mean it’s possible that you could just be buying shirts thinking you’re getting in a raffle that doesn’t currently exist.

They’re handing out entire gaming rigs so you can see how people are motivated to enter not even knowing if it a "contest shirt" or not.

It’s kind of a new thing for them so I guess we’ll see how often they give out prizes and why.

If people are buying shirts thinking they’re entering a contest that doesn’t exist then that’s kind of lovely.

I still like my swacket from LTT

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 10, 2020

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Not only that but doesn't Canada have some hardcore laws about lotteries and contents? I'm not a Canadian lawyer or either of those things but it feels like they're blatantly trying to run a contest without actually admitting it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

Not only that but doesn't Canada have some hardcore laws about lotteries and contents? I'm not a Canadian lawyer or either of those things but it feels like they're blatantly trying to run a contest without actually admitting it.

Arivia posted:

linus had better hope none of these shirts period ever sell to a quebecker or he's in for some real hard poo poo

https://financialpost.com/entrepreneur/why-many-contests-exclude-quebec-residents

basically if the prizes are over $2001 ever and there's a quebecker in the draw pool linus can get legally hosed seventeen ways to sunday

and for those of you who aren't canadians, linus does not live in quebec

quebec does not care

quebec will ratfuck him to the very large extent of the law just for the hell of it

running a small time lottery for local people is not uncommon or illegal in Canada, 50/50 draws are common at sporting events and community stuff all over (well, pre-pandemic) but it's local and small

that's not what linus is doing

and if he fucks with quebec they will murder his company as an example (Canada has very very heavy strict interprovincial trade laws)

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I read the OP and sorry you can't just say that someone is persona non grata without telling me why and expect me to not be curious as hell and ask why.

So, what's wrong with 8-bit guy? I don't watch him very often as there is something that just doesn't grab my interest with his content (even though I like the things he's talking about).

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MrOnBicycle posted:

I read the OP and sorry you can't just say that someone is persona non grata without telling me why and expect me to not be curious as hell and ask why.

So, what's wrong with 8-bit guy? I don't watch him very often as there is something that just doesn't grab my interest with his content (even though I like the things he's talking about).

he's a texas CHUD

which was already bad enough

but awhile back he got a prototype IBM computer to work on, very very rare, and proceeded to gently caress it up in pretty much every way possible doing the most absurdly stupid boneheaded basic idiot things like using a dremel to remove case screws instead of just buying a security bit from his local hardware store then deliberately shorted the entire system as "troubleshooting"

then he went "oh well, this one didn't work, I guess I'll get another one and see if that one's in better shape" and proceeded to gently caress up the rest of that set of prototypes too

so politically he wasn't great, then he proved himself super unworthy of the trust and authority people gave him, and his response was to basically go "no gently caress you you're not my dad, trump's my dad" to the community at large

watching him is kind of awkward now because he gets cool video ideas and does cool things but he's proven himself to be a giant loving idiot in every aspect so you can't trust ANYTHING he says or that his work is actually worthwhile

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
Adding to above: he's an open carrying Texas chud.

Cool/ok videos, poor judgement, awkward guy, poo poo politics

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I think that's why I don't watch many of his videos. Half-assed approach to fixing stuff without actually knowing what he's doing. I think it's fine to break the rules if you know what you are doing, but having a million subscribers and doing stupid poo poo is bad. Especially to rare stuff.
Also lol at him being a Trumper Texas CHUD.

I watched the video. It was super painful. I also remembered how much I dislike the blue wall and the cable management he has on it.

He's no Mr Carlsons lab or Adrians digital basement, that's for sure.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 10, 2020

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

Jeff Fatwood posted:

I just assumed you get to shoot random people if you wear jorts with Nike Monarchs.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I feel like the 8-bit guy is ok but his absurd behaviour w/r/t open carry and then his destruction/non-apology of that IBM prototype were 2 big strikes for me. I don't regularly watch his videos anyway.. but I guess that's further condemnation

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Didn't he post a picture of himself carrying in a Subway? I can't remember where I saw that.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

cage-free egghead posted:

Didn't he post a picture of himself carrying in a Subway? I can't remember where I saw that.

Yeah, it'd be on this channel somewhere
https://www.youtube.com/user/awesomeairguns/videos

Here's a snippet at Costco Home Depot looks like
https://twitter.com/compgeke/status/1309634616127418369

mewse
May 2, 2006

cage-free egghead posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5y6PLe8V9s&t=169s

paraphrasing "it's not my intent to frighten people, I just do it to prove a point"

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Jeff Fatwood posted:

I totally thought this was LGR/Lazy Game Reviews guy and felt really sad at first.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
The 8 Bit Guy only occasionally open carries (used to carry?) a rifle, it's not like it's his essential every day carry. He wore the rifle as a political statement about the absurdity of the laws because someone can get into more trouble for carrying a pistol concealed than someone open carrying a rifle. I don't consider this enough to declare him a "Texas chud".

Similarly, there is a video from several years ago where he went over traits for choosing an airsoft pistol for self defense, which I assume is reasonable if you live somewhere that prohibits guns but allows airsoft. If anything I liked the video simply because it offers insight on a less lethal deterrent. I own guns but have never carried a gun, but if I felt a need to carry then a realistic airsoft might be a viable option. . . except for the fact that if you fail to scare you assailant away you might just escalate an attack into a real gun fight while you are carrying a toy. Regardless, I thought it was an informative video that was not overly political, I wish he didn't mention no guns in schools but ironically he does have a point that you can bring an airsoft gun in a school but not a real gun. I don't believe being a gun owner automatically makes someone a bad person, I don't remember 8 Bit Guy ever saying much about politics or BLM or anything controversial.

As for the IBM Executive, it's a little sad but I think he does have a valid point that is just an odd, not mass produced (failed?) old relic with little value. It's not like he pissed on Steve Jobs original wooden Apple, he just screwed a hard to find power supply. The paper clip trick was a bad idea, but I can not honestly say I would not have done the same exact thing in that situation. Cutting the power supply chassis while butchering the screw heads sucks, but I have never tried to cut a screw head with a Dremel, I cant say that I would have done any better. I think 8 Bit Guy is capable of doing good PC repair and resoration work, he is great at retro brighting and cleaning cases and he has done more chip level repair than I have ever done, he knows how to do good work he just hosed up this one since the IBM Executive is apparently a worthless piece of crap.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Nov 11, 2020

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I used to know Linus from years back before he became a YouTube superstar and he was a nice guy.

Cheers

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Nitr0 posted:

I used to know Linus from years back before he became a YouTube superstar and he was a nice guy.

Cheers

Appreciate the feedback. Added to OP. Thanks for supporting local businesses.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Nitr0 posted:

Cheers

said it multiple times before itt but I wish he did videos as Linus Sebastian and not Linus the Youtube Star. He seems genuinely cool in his crossover vids. I guess hes stuck being that character now :(

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Nitr0 posted:

Cheers

He says he got bullied in high school. Did you bully Linus?

RT though by all accounts he's just a workaholic, I don't think I've heard anyone say something bad about him personally.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
We met in our 20’s when I lived in Vancouver so no high school bullying here. I moved and we just lost touch but it’s always fun to watch the videos.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I briefly reconnected with a high school acquaintance on FB (before he tried to get me into a MLM scheme) and he said he is neighbours with Linus and he’s a great guy and throws awesome block parties.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

priznat posted:

I briefly reconnected with a high school acquaintance on FB (before he tried to get me into a MLM scheme) and he said he is neighbours with Linus and he’s a great guy and throws awesome block parties.

What MLM? This is very important and relevant.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Purgatory Glory posted:

What MLM? This is very important and relevant.

Multi level marketing. Basically pyramid selling.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

MrOnBicycle posted:

Multi level marketing. Basically pyramid selling.

Which mlm?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Jonathan Morrison just took Linus to task over his video on Apple silicon. John pretty much kindly schooled him.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Not Wolverine posted:

Similarly, there is a video from several years ago where he went over traits for choosing an airsoft pistol for self defense, which I assume is reasonable if you live somewhere that prohibits guns but allows airsoft. If anything I liked the video simply because it offers insight on a less lethal deterrent. I own guns but have never carried a gun, but if I felt a need to carry then a realistic airsoft might be a viable option. . . except for the fact that if you fail to scare you assailant away you might just escalate an attack into a real gun fight while you are carrying a toy.

I know this is a tech thread, but holy poo poo you're not putting enough emphasis on the bolded bit. He's advocating that folks respond to a situation by escalating it to where deadly force is in play, and you have no idea how someone with a gun pointed at them is going to react. This guy is a dweeb with fantasies of stopping Sandy Hook, don't go to him for gun advice.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

LionArcher posted:

Jonathan Morrison just took Linus to task over his video on Apple silicon. John pretty much kindly schooled him.

no he didn't. he compared hardware encoding on the iphone with software encoding on the imac. he pointedly didn't show hardware encoding on the imac

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

the talent deficit posted:

no he didn't. he compared hardware encoding on the iphone with software encoding on the imac. he pointedly didn't show hardware encoding on the imac

He did after on Twitter I believe. But JM point that Linus is jumping to a conclusion that seems doubtful (it’s just an iPad chip and therefore is not as good or isn’t worth it) still stands.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

LionArcher posted:

He did after on Twitter I believe. But JM point that Linus is jumping to a conclusion that seems doubtful (it’s just an iPad chip and therefore is not as good or isn’t worth it) still stands.

it's (structurally) almost identical to the a12z. the presumptive a14z that goes in the ipad pros will be almost identical to the m1. the only difference is probably i/o

anyways, did you watch the linus video? he goes out of his way to not jump to any conclusions. he complained about apple's vague metrics in the presentation and stressed that we need to wait for real benchmarks

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Yeah Linus going "it's an ipad" wasn't a conclusion, it was the "hot take opener before he goes 'let me break it down for you'". He wasn't real positive on the presentation, but it was more along the lines that they didn't say or show enough to be able to compare it to anything, and that software support and rosetta 2's effectiveness are still unknown.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Oops! Sorry!

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

MrOnBicycle posted:

Oops! Sorry!

No problem. I already decided in my head that it's Primerica or Herbalife.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Oh I can't recall which one, I think it was actually Amway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Amway sounds like a typical MLM but then you find out about how they take photos of you and analyze the color auras to help you achieve your diamond dream.