Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

It is but it also isn't going to happen. They're literally at the One Weird Trick stage of believing they can still somehow pull this off. Clinton supporters in 2016 floated the same idea between the election and the electoral college vote.

going full Hillary does ensure no one locks you up, so it's a good strategy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Gerund posted:

Just to check, does your speech-to-text also explain why you keep getting caught saying that "normal people" are opposed to what "those people" are doing in the larger movement for Black lives?

Because if so, I'm sorry that I believed that you are coming off as a white supremacist because of your choice in pronouns and framing.

What the gently caress ??

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, Operation Eagle Claw was a loving shitshow as was Black Hawk Down/etc.

https://twitter.com/Laurie_Garrett/status/1326989666055299074

also its not over.

20 states? That has to include some hilariously blue states right?

I compared this to 1876 earlier, but even that had just 4 states with a dust-up.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
In case anyone wants to read the full context of that 400k quote, and wants to see a PBS Frontline reporter doing a decent job of holding her feet to the fire, it's here.

tldr, her argument is that the executive is required to enforce the laws passed by congress, and that she and the Obama administration were working to enforce that law as best as they could by prioritizing deporting criminals and not just regular folks. I don't personally buy her argument, but that's it in a nutshell.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 58 minutes!

Gerund posted:

Harrison, you say? I don't think Harrison did any better than flaming out before Iowa either.

Only lasted 31 days to boot.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Edmund Lava posted:

Already deleted. What was it?

Copied for a new page

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Again, I'm only gonna tell you once. Make whatever point you're going to make, but the accessibility measures that I use for my disability or not something I'm going to apologize for, and you are acting like an rear end in a top hat about it.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Edmund Lava posted:

Already deleted. What was it?

Assuming it's the White House shop already selling Biden inauguration stuff.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Rust Martialis posted:

No, you just made that up in your head.

"CECILIA MUNOZ: The reform didn't happen because it requires action on the part of the Congress of the united States, which did not take it up. But he's going to keep at it until we find the partners we need in the Congress to get this job done."

Some posters sure seem allergic to checking sources around here.

https://twitter.com/basspankai/status/1297671151183892481

its literally her words dude

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I may be wrong but I am pretty sure that electors are selected by the Democratic party or the winning party of the state. So in order to get faithless electors you'd have to have a bunch of democrats all willing to select Trump instead of Biden.

I am pretty sure that's how it works.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Youth Decay posted:

I compared this to 1876 earlier, but even that had just 4 states with a dust-up.

I hope they try for some pointless vanity push like getting the NY electors to flip so the state turns red, just go for maximum humiliation.

Rust Martialis posted:

"CECILIA MUNOZ: The reform didn't happen because it requires action on the part of the Congress of the united States, which did not take it up. But he's going to keep at it until we find the partners we need in the Congress to get this job done."

'you just keep giving us money to deport people and we, the executive branch in charge of the agencies that deport people, can't NOT spend it' is either her being coy to deflect or her just genuinely not giving a poo poo.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

generic one posted:

It looks like she was on the transition team back in September, but I can’t find her name anywhere on the agency review teams list. Maybe her name getting noticed is based on old news?

My understanding is that the Agency Review Teams and the Biden Transition Team are separate entities (the former is overseen by the latter). You won't find Ted Kaufman's name on the ART list either but he's in charge of the whole thing.

Muñoz being on the transition team was mentioned yesterday in this AP article which I think is why there is sudden interest in her.

quote:

Biden named Cecilia Munoz, President Barack Obama’s top immigration adviser, to his transition team, which some interpreted as signaling a more moderate tack.

Her being in Biden's orbit is not fake news, I'm afraid.

sexpig by night posted:

'you just keep giving us money to deport people and we, the executive branch in charge of the agencies that deport people, can't NOT spend it' is either her being coy to deflect or her just genuinely not giving a poo poo.

Yes, the executive branch has wide latitude in how it goes about enforcement. You only ever hear the argument "nuh uh Congress is making us do this" when it's something they want to do but don't want to eat the blame over.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Hollismason posted:

I may be wrong but I am pretty sure that electors are selected by the Democratic party or the winning party of the state. So in order to get faithless electors you'd have to have a bunch of democrats all willing to select Trump instead of Biden.

Yes. For example Stacey Abrams has announced she’s a delegate for Georgia. Hillary will likely be one for New York, as Bill was in the past. These are the kind of people they think they can get to go rogue.

Edit with link so you can see who they’re sending

https://twitter.com/staceyabrams/status/1326972015216037889?s=21

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

37 blue state electors would be needed to flip to send it to the house.

Maybe Kid Rock and some chud celebrities can make a video this time

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation

sexpig by night posted:

the overwhelming pro-democratic party media apparatus not reporting on the multiple very public scandals she had means they actually didn't exist.

I mean it's not like you actually check any sources you post anyhow beyond headlines, so how would you know what the media is saying?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Copied for a new page

i am curious what new awful Christmas design/set up will be this year. i already blew like 100 bucks on ornaments this year because "gently caress it".

Youth Decay posted:

its desperation. they are throwing poo poo at the wall and making scary faces and hoping Biden just quits.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hollismason posted:

I think there's some where the legislature as a whole picks or something? Wasn't PA making some weird hay about this poo poo earlier in the week because their republican government decided to be all 'oh gee but things are so WEIRD this election we dunno what we'll dooooo'?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation

No you made up how she thought it was "cool and good" , dude. Learn to read.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Pick posted:

Again, I'm only gonna tell you once. Make whatever point you're going to make, but the accessibility measures that I use for my disability or not something I'm going to apologize for, and you are acting like an rear end in a top hat about it.

I believed that you have a pattern and practice in this thread of framing discussions of Black people being murdered by police as something that "they" do that is opposed by "normal people". This troubles me because these are the pronouns and framing of a white supremacist mindset.

If you need to work on things, so be it, and if you are having trouble communicating because of disability there is no reason to keep it up; but those biases are still something worth looking into no matter how you access anything.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Rust Martialis posted:

It's actually very much indicative of how immigration activists view Muñoz.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Pick posted:

It was bog standard ribbing over an appparent typo/autocorrect error, and incredibly mild. No one is going to remember your disability or keep a special list of posters who should be immune to gentle ribbing

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
yeah for reference the electors in the electoral vote system are party loyalists on the tier of hillary clinton

so you know, just convince ~35 people that are clinton-level loyal to the democratic party to switch their votes to trump, easy peasy no biggie

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Rust Martialis posted:

People are, correctly, extremely concerned that Biden will screw over immigration issues like Obama did, despite being significantly better than Trump on them.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Rust Martialis posted:

She is definitely lying about it being an obligation under the law, though, so what should we infer based on that?

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Harold Fjord posted:

It was bog standard ribbing over an appparent typo/autocorrect error, and incredibly mild. No one is going to remember your disability or keep a special list of posters who should be immune to gentle ribbing

I mean I'm going to drop it because I will remember, but I still find it troubling whenever anyone talks in terms of "those people" being opposed by "normal people" no matter how someone accesses anything.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am curious what new awful Christmas design/set up will be this year. i already blew like 100 bucks on ornaments this year because "gently caress it".

its desperation. they are throwing poo poo at the wall and making scary faces and hoping Biden just quits.

They know Biden won't quit, this is all just for making it appear to would-be donors that there's still a chance if only they would send them more of their social security check.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I do kind of wonder what kind of poo poo Pence is going to pull in January with the Joint Session of Congress? I forget the full details but I know Pence precides over something related to Biden being President in January.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 12, 2020

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Gerund posted:

I believed that you have a pattern and practice in this thread of framing discussions of Black people being murdered by police as something that "they" do that is opposed by "normal people". This troubles me because these are the pronouns and framing of a white supremacist mindset.

If you need to work on things, so be it, and if you are having trouble communicating because of disability there is no reason to keep it up; but those biases are still something worth looking into no matter how you access anything.

Why don't you post those things then. Instead of doing this weird whisper campaign when it's absolutely not something that I've ever said. Especially as a pivot to cover your rear end for using a typo based on someone's accessibility to dismiss their post.

You were calling me a white supremacist based on loving nothing as a way to double down on abusive behavior towards someone with a busted skeleton. What the gently caress is wrong with you,.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Rust Martialis posted:

so just to be clear your main issue is that you want us to acknowledge she supported the executive pretending to be helpless in the face of congress...giving them a budget... but she was, like, super bummed about it?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, Operation Eagle Claw was a loving shitshow as was Black Hawk Down/etc.

https://twitter.com/Laurie_Garrett/status/1326989666055299074

also its not over.

This is idiocy, since I'm pretty sure the dems get to nominate them

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, it's another even lesser known quirk of our terrible presidential election system. When you tick a box next to a candidate's name on a ballot, you are actually casting a vote for a group of electors. These groups are entirely disjoint because they are selected for the express purpose of voting for one candidate or the other; whichever group wins the state popular vote gets to cast electoral votes and the other group does not*. Flipping these groups is basically impossible because loyalty to their chosen candidate is the most important quality by which they're selected in the first place. Also SCOTUS ruled in favor of state laws binding electoral votes so in many cases it may be literally illegal.

*except a couple of states which use weirder systems

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Sub Par posted:

tldr, her argument is that the executive is required to enforce the laws passed by congress, and that she and the Obama administration were working to enforce that law as best as they could by prioritizing deporting criminals and not just regular folks. I don't personally buy her argument, but that's it in a nutshell.

It's a crock of horseshit especially when you consider the administration set the terms for what it considered criminals that needed to be deported. Crucially they considered illegal entry, overstaying a visa, and other similar victimless immigration infractions to be serious enough crimes to warrant deportations and it's why their numbers got so loving huge.

Obama deported the entire prison populations of the US worths of people during his tenure, so really the notion that it was dangerous criminals is absolutely laughable.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The Democrats don't have party messaging about cops. "Defund the Police" is a popular grass-roots movement, and the Republicans are going to blame the Democrats for it regardless. See the 1619 Project, also not a project of the Democratic Party.

This part is exactly the problem. If they DID have some sort of party messaging, even if it was "Stop Bad Cops", the Republicans would have a more difficult time filling in the gaps, and it would make space for individual politicians to additionally run on defunding the police.

Defund the police is mostly bad rhetoric for the Democratic party, not the people actually using it, and it's absurd that the party still isn't doing anything at all to get ahead of the issue and establish their own police-oriented narrative instead of letting the Republicans define it for them.

Attacking the activists for the failures of the Democratic party is stupid.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

TulliusCicero posted:

I assumed, like electoral vote allocation, this varied by state

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hollismason posted:

They're selected before the election but yes.

The only way you'd conceivably flip that many electors would be via some sort of large scale blackmail scheme.

thewalk
Mar 16, 2018

Jaxyon posted:

Everybody saying he should buy OANN instead of starting his own service forget that he can't afford to buy OANN and he's not going to start his own network because he's broke.

this sounds fun but why are people saying hes broke?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Hollismason posted:

I do kind of wonder what kind of poo poo Pence is going to pull in January with the Joint Session of Congress? I forget the full details but I know Pence precides over something related to Biden being President in January.

Pence so far hasn't indicated he's at all on board with Trump's "I really won" narrative. He's been remarkably quiet, except to take credit for the vaccine that Pfizer clearly stated their administration had nothing to do with, and to cancel his Florida vacation.

I mean, what's Trump gonna do, fire him?

thewalk posted:

this sounds fun but why are people saying hes broke?

Because he is? He has incredible debts, so high he used them to not pay any taxes. This is well known.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

TulliusCicero posted:

That doesn't mean that can't attempt to bribe, blackmail, or threaten them.

Trump will use every legal, quasi-legal and illegal method he can to hold on to power.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

so just to be clear your main issue is that you want us to acknowledge she supported the executive pretending to be helpless in the face of congress...giving them a budget... but she was, like, super bummed about it?

Don’t you know that only the words people say matter not what actions they actually carry out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Rust Martialis posted:

she is on video giving a full-throated defense of her office using the funding provided to it in order to deport as many people as possible. are you saying that she did not think it was good and proper for her office to do such a thing (a more decorous way of saying cool and good, if you will)?