Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MettleRamiel
Jun 29, 2005

Not being an American and just learning about this faithless elector thing blows my mind. Can anything be done about this? If enough electors in states that Democrats won vote for Trump to put him over the top, is that it? Can he actually win like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Will be a fork of TempleOS.

Replace the songs from God and words from god modules and say they are from Q now. Basically the same thing.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Friends, I have made this vid to commemorate the times:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugz9eAbwhAo

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1326997219124371464

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Silhouette posted:

Gonna start the Conservative Heroes Undermining Democrats party

You will have to compete with my Canadian Hunks Unleash Doomsday party.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

MettleRamiel posted:

Not being an American and just learning about this faithless elector thing blows my mind. Can anything be done about this? If enough electors in states that Democrats won vote for Trump to put him over the top, is that it? Can he actually win like this?

Theoretically, yes? Practically, no.

First, several states have laws forcing electors to follow the will of the voters in their state, basically making faithless electors illegal in those states. Second, the electors are almost exclusively well trusted members of the winning party in that state. For example, one of the electors for New York is Hillary Clinton and there is 0% chance you'd get her to vote for Donald Trump.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

also if they did the faithless elector plan the country would be burned to the ground

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

d0grent posted:

Friends, I have made this vid to commemorate the times:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugz9eAbwhAo

Excellent work. This will be looked at in the coming years.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

hawowanlawow posted:

also if they did the faithless elector plan the country would be burned to the ground

I don't that's a disqualifying factor for these numpties.

The Strangest Finch
Nov 23, 2007

MettleRamiel posted:

Some states allow for faithless electors and some don't, some that don't also don't have real penalties in place for them though.

That said, Trump "counting" on faithless electors is idiotic -- they are selected by the party that won the state, generally by high-ranking party members. Maybe in a less polarized political climate an individual trusted by the democrats might flip as a message or out of spite, but that seems vanishingly unlikely given how much Trump is loathed.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I, Turkey Volume Guessing Man, can assure you those vans did not have enough space to hold turkeys for all workers.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

DickParasite posted:

lol. Weren't their like four faithless electors in 2016?

Something like that. Three people in Washington changed their vote from Hillary to Colin Powell. Possibly as a joke?

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

hawowanlawow posted:

You would hope but no. You think the spineless Democrats would suddenly do something about Republicans cheating? They'd hem and haw, supporters would go "but if I go protest, I'll miss Malcolm In The Middle reruns!" and the whole thing would fall on its face.

I'm sorry but the Democrat party has a running reputation here

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

https://twitter.com/barbarastarrcnn/status/1326903725873647620?s=20
Benghazi ain't going away

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The Strangest Finch posted:

Some states allow for faithless electors and some don't, some that don't also don't have real penalties in place for them though.

That said, Trump "counting" on faithless electors is idiotic -- they are selected by the party that won the state, generally by high-ranking party members. Maybe in a less polarized political climate an individual trusted by the democrats might flip as a message or out of spite, but that seems vanishingly unlikely given how much Trump is loathed.

As an example of two electors, Stacey Abrams and Hillary Clinton

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

MettleRamiel posted:

He technically can, but the odds of any electors selected by the Democratic Party in each state suddenly deciding that this Trump guy should be kept around another four years are about zero.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/judge-dismisses-donald-trumps-libel-suit-against-cnn

Judge Dismisses Donald Trump's Libel Suit Against CNN

This hasn't been the best month for the 45th president of the United States. On Wednesday, a Georgia federal court judge rejected a defamation lawsuit brought by Donald Trump against CNN.

Trump's campaign filed its complaint back in March. It targeted an opinion piece from Larry Noble, a former general counsel at the Federal Election Commission who took the position that Special Counsel Robert Mueller should have charged Trump campaign officials with soliciting dirt on his opponents. The lawsuit made specific objection to a line stating the Trump campaign "assessed the potential risks and benefits of again seeking Russia’s help in 2020 and has decided to leave that option on the table."

The case was reviewed by U.S. District Court Judge Michael L. Brown, who was appointed to the federal judiciary by Trump himself. Brown considered CNN's contention that the political op/ed couldn't reasonably be understood as actionable false facts. While the judge disagrees with the cable newscaster about how to interpret the statement in question, finding it is indeed capable of being proven true or false, he takes note of the context of how Noble uses soft language and is signaling the expression of opinion overall.

That noted, the case comes down to Trump's failure to plead knowledge of falsity or reckless disregard of the truth. He is, after all, a public figure, and while he has often called for libel laws to be relaxed, public figures still need to demonstrate actual malice.

"Most of the allegations in the complaint regarding actual malice are conclusory," writes the judge, also not accepting that an alleged record of anti-Trump bias on Noble's part is sufficient.

For example, with respect to how Noble once tweeted that Trump "cheats and lies," Brown writes, "The tweet might show Mr. Noble’s ill will towards the President, but it fails to plead actual malice in the constitutional sense—that is, it does not show Mr. Noble made the Statement with knowledge that it was false or with reckless disregard of whether it was false."

As such, Trump's complaint is dismissed. While the judge gives him an opportunity to file an amended version, he hasn't cleared the bar that will allow discovery inside CNN's headquarters. Here's the full opinion.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Incredible that the Democrat election stealing machine was undone by not hiring enough dummy snack vans.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

withak posted:

He technically can, but the odds of any electors selected by the Democratic Party in each state suddenly deciding that this Trump guy should be kept around another four years are about zero.

What about a situation where the governor appoints the electors regardless of outcome in a state run by republicans? Is that a thing?

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

MettleRamiel posted:

Many American state legislatures are paralyzed by conservatives so effectively that passing new laws or amending existing ones is effectively impossible. Conservatives are convinced the government can't do anything well, elect people who make that true, and the cycle continues forever.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

MettleRamiel posted:

I'm not American either, but the way it works is that the presidential election is not actually for the presidential candidates per se, they are actually for the electoral college candidates who have said that they would vote for a specific presidential candidate. That's one of the administrative reasons for presidential candidates needing to register before a certain date in some states - the state must find elector candidates before the election who are willing to vote for the presidential candidate. A few states actually have the EC candidates' names on the ballot too, but most don't, but the principle is exactly the same. And the electoral college candidates for each state are nominated by each party's state committee or the candidate's election committee in the state. So the electors are almost always senior party functionaries in each state.

So realistically, it's not a problem at all.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Catastrophe posted:

You would hope but no. You think the spineless Democrats would suddenly do something about Republicans cheating? They'd hem and haw, supporters would go "but if I go protest, I'll miss Malcolm In The Middle reruns!" and the whole thing would fall on its face.

I'm sorry but the Democrat party has a running reputation here
I would have agreed a year ago, but we just had months of protests across the country. People are sick of this poo poo. This is not about what Democrats would do.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Say what you will about that Cecilia Munoz nazi lady that Biden added to his transition team, but man she's really hitting the ground running on her vet deportation strategy.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
The faithless electors plan is as ludicrous and hamfisted as it sounds, but it's probably their only realistic path to stealing the election at this point (by realistic, I mean far less than 1% chance of happening, but still more than zero, which is what all their lawsuits have amounted to).

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1326999455665704960

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

probably just a way to keep grifting money until dec 14

do the fundraising emails just say "for elector bribes" at this point?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Tarkus posted:

What about a situation where the governor appoints the electors regardless of outcome in a state run by republicans? Is that a thing?

no

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Start a facebook group calling for the beheading of Zuckerfuck and see how long that takes you to get banned.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Someone needs to update zuck's firmware while he is defragmenting overnight to try to install some kind of moral and/or emotional system

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Theory: mark zuckerberg is Lore

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Problem with theory: Lore can laugh

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I do remember the faint hope of this happening in 2016, that enough of these electors would see the popular vote disparity and cast their own vote accordingly. I don't think anyone was really counting on it, but it was a thing being talked about.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Pick posted:

Problem with theory: Lore can laugh

Also has a more believable human appearance

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Tarkus posted:

All states have laws requiring electors to be chosen be popular vote, i.e. the presidential election. So it would be super illegal for the governor to just appoint electors. Not saying that it wouldn't happen or they are not considering it. But it's explicitly illegal.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

MettleRamiel posted:

Trump getting 1 democrat elite (former dem presidents, DNC chairs, senators, etc.) is laughable.

Trump getting 30, from a list of names like Hillary Clinton, John Kerry, Al Gore, Howard Dean, etc., is completely lunacy.

Like however many atoms there are in our galaxy, Trump's chances would be 1 in that number.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Those vans were too small for snacks. Thought you were too clever, huh libs?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

wuffles posted:

Those vans were too small for snacks. Thought you were too clever, huh libs?

The Pennsylvania GOP said that Biden cheated by offering voters candy 🍭

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

MettleRamiel posted:

It's a dumb and outdated system that we have essentially nullified by way of letting the winning party pick the electors and by instituting laws the prevent faithless electors. It was literally designed to prevent someone like Trump from taking power and you can see how that turned out.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Sweet Biden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Trump getting 1 democrat elite (former dem presidents, DNC chairs, senators, etc.) is laughable.

Trump getting 30, from a list of names like Hillary Clinton, John Kerry, Al Gore, Howard Dean, etc., is completely lunacy.

Like however many atoms there are in our galaxy, Trump's chances would be 1 in that number.

Hilldawg finally exacting her (entirely pointless) revenge for 2008 (kinda)!