Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
I mean, thanks for the replies. It couldn't hurt, could it, to have a listen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Tad Naff posted:

I'm no expert on Stereolab, but I've had Emperor Tomato Ketchup on my dog-walking playlist for years. I could do with recommendations to go further with them.

For me, I need more stuff like Gojira: heavy, complex drums, lyrically not shock-oriented and preferably half-intelligent. Rivers of Nihil is close.

That’s more appropriate for the recommendation thread but Gojira are very heavily influenced by Meshuggah. You should also listen to the first few Mastodon albums for all those descriptors, though their biggest direct similarity is that both bands’ most acclaimed albums involve whales.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Tad Naff posted:

For me, I need more stuff like Gojira: heavy, complex drums, lyrically not shock-oriented and preferably half-intelligent. Rivers of Nihil is close.

You're probably better served venturing into the Metal thread (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3433957) and getting overwhelmed with suggestions, but I'll at least give you a small seed to start your journey.

Check out The Ocean. Gojira/djenty, and the lyrics are not terribly shock oriented. All the albums have a geological theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6hRFcVZFlA

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Teach posted:

I mean, thanks for the replies. It couldn't hurt, could it, to have a listen?

The dead are almost equal parts super great and really bad, so they’re a great band to get into if you like lots of stuff to listen to and make fun of.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I've been listening to Motorhead's Overkill album and loving it, where should I go next? Also semi related I love the poo poo out of Judas Priest's Firepower album from a couple years ago, yet when I had previously tried a great walloping big greatest hits cd before then all the songs blended together into one forgettable generic rock mess to me. Also I stumbled into a CD of Halford's side project band Fight, but the only song I remember from it is Immortal Sin. Should I continue on with Priest or quit while I'm ahead? Or wait and see what a possible future album is like?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Overkill is Motorhead's second album, and their big three consists of that and the next two (Bomber and Ace of Spades). After that I'd say listen to the first album and then just keep going chronologically.

For Judas Priest, I'd say the highlights are Sad Wings of Destiny, British Steel and Screaming for Vengeance, but you really can't go wrong with anything they did in the late 70s or early 80s.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

ultrafilter posted:

Overkill is Motorhead's second album, and their big three consists of that and the next two (Bomber and Ace of Spades). After that I'd say listen to the first album and then just keep going chronologically.

For Judas Priest, I'd say the highlights are Sad Wings of Destiny, British Steel and Screaming for Vengeance, but you really can't go wrong with anything they did in the late 70s or early 80s.

I like Point of Entry for some reason.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Turbinosamente posted:

I've been listening to Motorhead's Overkill album and loving it, where should I go next? Also semi related I love the poo poo out of Judas Priest's Firepower album from a couple years ago, yet when I had previously tried a great walloping big greatest hits cd before then all the songs blended together into one forgettable generic rock mess to me. Also I stumbled into a CD of Halford's side project band Fight, but the only song I remember from it is Immortal Sin. Should I continue on with Priest or quit while I'm ahead? Or wait and see what a possible future album is like?

If you didn’t really like classic Priest you should still check out Painkiller, an insanely balls-out speed metal album that came out of nowhere as the band approached middle age. Though if you love Firepower it’s weird that a greatest hits didn’t do anything for you. Of their classic era I would go for Stained Class or Sad Wings of Destiny.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

Screaming for Vengeance is the quintessential 80's Judas Priest album, I can't imagine you hating that if you liked Firepower.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Henchman of Santa posted:

If you didn’t really like classic Priest you should still check out Painkiller, an insanely balls-out speed metal album that came out of nowhere as the band approached middle age. Though if you love Firepower it’s weird that a greatest hits didn’t do anything for you. Of their classic era I would go for Stained Class or Sad Wings of Destiny.

It was this cheap cash in greatest hits CD, the type you see in major retailers that still bother to carry CDs. Trying to plow through 34 tracks at once may not have been the smartest idea on my part, probably why they began to run together too much. But thank you all for the suggestions to chew on: I usually do better listening to original albums than greatest hits anyways. The only exception to this is Steppenwolf for some reason I haven't quite figured out.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Is it because they only have 2 good songs and it is easier to have them in the same place?

Jokes aside they are two great songs.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Turbinosamente posted:

You should listen to Unleashed in the East, in addition to the other stuff you've been recommended.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

A human heart posted:

You should listen to Unleashed in the East, in addition to the other stuff you've been recommended.

Agreed 100%. I generally am not a fan of live albums, but UitE versions of several songs are better than the originals, IMO.

As for Motörhead, once you get past the three uber-classic albums, Iron Fist is very good, as is Orgasmatron. The S/T is good as well, but leans toward Hawkwind-sound, rather than the ultra-speedy classic Motörhead sound. After that, it’s hit and miss, but I can’t think of any truly awful albums. No Remorse is a good compilation.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Count Basie's small combo recordings? I know he did some work with a smaller band in the fifties, but finding any releases is a bit of a hassle.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

I've seen Marc Ribot mentioned a bunch recently, and I want to know more about him. He's been on so much stuff - are there any good starting points that highlight his playing well?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Siivola posted:

Count Basie's small combo recordings? I know he did some work with a smaller band in the fifties, but finding any releases is a bit of a hassle.

The Penguin Jazz Guide from 2006, which I still trust in these kinds of things, doesn't particularly recommend anything, but this at least has come out since: https://www.freshsoundrecords.com/count-basie-albums/4713-complete-1952-1956-small-group-studio-recording.html

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Siivola posted:

There is an album called “The Fives” that I have somewhere on CD. It doesn’t appear to be streaming, but you may find a copy online.

It’s a pretty good compilation of the small group era.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

The Leck posted:

I've seen Marc Ribot mentioned a bunch recently, and I want to know more about him. He's been on so much stuff - are there any good starting points that highlight his playing well?

My knowledge is pretty basic but I know he played on a lot of Tom Waits albums starting (?) with Rain Dogs. So Rain Dogs.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015

Although next time, you would be wise to heed the ancient Japanese proverb... phone first!
Paula Abdul? I know "Straight Up" and I remember the one music video where she flirts with an animated cat but other than that nothing

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Given that she just has 3 albums, you probably could just get what you need from a greatest hits record or getting the first two albums, which will have all the hugely popular things she did.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
TMBG

Flood, maybe?

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

TMBG

Flood, maybe?

Sure. Then work backward before you go forward.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Sir Nose posted:

Same, but stop after Severe Tire Damage unless you really like what you've heard.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

El Gallinero Gros posted:

TMBG

Flood, maybe?

Flood. Then either Lincoln for older and weirder or Apollo 18 for darker themes and more rock-oriented arrangements. John Henry is their most rock-oriented album and it’s the first album with a full band.

Their new albums are still good. After you get out of the Elektra years, you can keep going chronologically, or skip to Join Us or Nanobots or I Like Fun to see what they’ve been doing lately.

They’re my favorite band and I think all of their albums are worth listening to and have great songs. Mink Car is considered their least liked album, and I don’t care much for their kid albums.

Sir Nose posted:

This is a simple and great approach.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Mink Car is actually really good, it's a full-band nod towards the Lincoln sound...it just sank without a trace because it got no promo support (their label died immediately after its release) and because people were slightly busy the day it came out (September 11, 2001)

Factory Showroom is actually my pick for the weakest record, though it's got a few tracks I really like. The Else is probably my favorite of the 00s material, though.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

hexwren posted:

Mink Car is actually really good, it's a full-band nod towards the Lincoln sound...it just sank without a trace because it got no promo support (their label died immediately after its release) and because people were slightly busy the day it came out (September 11, 2001)

Factory Showroom is actually my pick for the weakest record, though it's got a few tracks I really like. The Else is probably my favorite of the 00s material, though.

Yeah, I remember the documentary they had, and that film was so weird because you keep seeing this countdown to 9/11 but they obviously can't acknowledge it. But it's just a little weird and unnerving.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015

Although next time, you would be wise to heed the ancient Japanese proverb... phone first!
The Go-Go's? I know "We Got The Beat" and "Vacation", but not much more.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Junpei posted:

The Go-Go's? I know "We Got The Beat" and "Vacation", but not much more.

They don't really have an extensive discography. They only released three albums in their initial run, and they had one reunion album.

I don't know anything about the reunion LP, but from their first run, the first and the third LPs are the best - Beauty and the Beat, and Talk Show.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Electronic stuff along the lines of Matmos and Aphex Twin's non-ambient stuff?

(Meant to post this in the recommendation thread but I'll leave it here instead.)

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

me your dad posted:

(Meant to post this in the recommendation thread but I'll leave it here instead.)

JK Flesh

Check out the label Sskwan (its an offshoot of Wakaan, which is experimental heavy bass music. SSkwan is its' chiller, downtempo cousin)

Kevin Cey's Download project

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

JK Flesh

Check out the label Sskwan (its an offshoot of Wakaan, which is experimental heavy bass music. SSkwan is its' chiller, downtempo cousin)

Kevin Cey's Download project

Thank you - I have never checked out Kevin Cey's Download, despite that track being one of my favorite Skinny Puppy songs. I'll give these a listen. I welcome anything else. Just judging by the mention of Download, this will be right what I'm looking for.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

me your dad posted:

Thank you - I have never checked out Kevin Cey's Download, despite that track being one of my favorite Skinny Puppy songs. I'll give these a listen. I welcome anything else. Just judging by the mention of Download, this will be right what I'm looking for.

Hope you enjoy, let me know what you think! If you like Skinny Puppy, all of Cey's side projects are pretty cool. He's released quite a lot.

I'd also reccomend Ulver's The Assassination of Julius Caesar if you like electronic music in any capacity. It's influence is far more Depeche Mode than say, Aphex Twin, but it's an absolute masterpiece start to finish and I'm sure you'd enjoy it based on some other stuff you've mentioned you like.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

me your dad posted:

For stuff like Aphex: Jodey Kendrick. First put out a couple EPs and album on Rephlex (Aphex's label) and is very prolific and some people argue online (at least at first) that it had to be an RDJ alias.

early Rephlex stuff:
https://edmsoundwave.bandcamp.com/album/10

EDM A (fake various artist compilation its all him)
https://edmsoundwave.bandcamp.com/album/edm-a

EDM D
https://edmsoundwave.bandcamp.com/album/edm-d

There are albums on Spotify Electric Dance Music 1 & 2 that are compliations of tracks from those releases and generally compile the best tracks. Some tracks are hit or miss but there is a lot of amazing stuff in his discography.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Ras Het posted:

The Penguin Jazz Guide from 2006, which I still trust in these kinds of things, doesn't particularly recommend anything, but this at least has come out since: https://www.freshsoundrecords.com/count-basie-albums/4713-complete-1952-1956-small-group-studio-recording.html

XBenedict posted:

There is an album called “The Fives” that I have somewhere on CD. It doesn’t appear to be streaming, but you may find a copy online.

It’s a pretty good compilation of the small group era.
Thanks! Sadly I'm mostly stuck with streaming and the itunes catalog, but I’ll try to keep my eye out for either of these.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Siivola posted:

Thanks! Sadly I'm mostly stuck with streaming and the itunes catalog, but I’ll try to keep my eye out for either of these.

Turns out I was wrong.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Oh sweet! Thanks!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015

Another 'here's two bands with a major link in members' question-where do I start with both New Edition and Bell Biv Devoe? (I'll also take help for Bobby Brown's solo career as well)

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Junpei posted:

Another 'here's two bands with a major link in members' question-where do I start with both New Edition and Bell Biv Devoe? (I'll also take help for Bobby Brown's solo career as well)

Greatest Hits / Greatest Hits / Greatest Hits

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

I just heard Mastodon's "Toe to Toes". If I loved it, will I love the rest of Mastodon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Schiavona posted:

I just heard Mastodon's "Toe to Toes". If I loved it, will I love the rest of Mastodon?

Yep I'd say so, that's pretty typical of their sound. I love Mastodon because they have a good range of sounds, some really heavy metal and some really psychedelic math rock, and the vocals aren't totally cookie-monster.

A lot of people express favor towards "Early Mastodon" which was more heavy and classically metal, (See: Leviathan, Blood Mountain) but they have some really good psychedelic albums if you prefer that (Cracke the Skye) and in-between (Hunter, Emperor of Sand)

How do you like these?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jF7E77jUzc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qpu5QMa9xCQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOCPi9bkvOA

Their most recent album, Emperor of Sand, is probably the closest directly to the style of "Toe to Toes"