Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
29x2.4/2.6 is the sweet spot for all the different tire sizes and widths and various riding types IME.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Bottom Liner posted:

29x2.4/2.6 is the sweet spot for all the different tire sizes and widths and various riding types IME.

Agree. I’ve been in this range for the last 3-4 years and have really liked it.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

ought ten posted:

Hey, I'm trying to get my first mountain bike since I was a teenager. Hoping I might get a decent end of season deal on a used bike. I'm pretty set on a hardtail, mostly for affordability. My usage is going to be northeastern single track without much elevation. Different mountain biking friends are giving me different advice on looking for a 29 or a 27.5. So seems like the best course of action is to get more opinions from more people. Is there a consensus, or an easy rubric?

Focus more on finding a good deal in your size. There are upsides and downsides to any wheel size, but it doesn't really matter since you're starting at 0.

casque
Mar 17, 2009
I don't think the difference between 27.5 and 29 matter as much as the geometry of the bike itself in terms of handling.

I see the major manufacturers doing wheel size proportional to bike size, which has always seemed reasonable.

I ride 29ers and the wheel size looks good on big bikes. I ride 650B on the road and love having that size with a fatter tire on a road bike.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
That may be important, too. I'm 4'20" (or 5'8" in lame units) and the 29ers feel like I'm sitting much higher overall, with a higher center of gravity. The 27.5 feels more natural and easier to throw around and correct mistakes on.

But ride as many bikes as you can. Buy the one you like the most.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Nocheez posted:

That may be important, too. I'm 4'20" (or 5'8" in lame units) and the 29ers feel like I'm sitting much higher overall, with a higher center of gravity. The 27.5 feels more natural and easier to throw around and correct mistakes on.

But ride as many bikes as you can. Buy the one you like the most.

too bad you’re not 1” taller

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
Go watch the replays of the two Lousa World Cups if you haven’t already. Please don’t delay, do it ASAP. Absolutely incredible riding on a great new track.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Yeah it was pretty fantastic racing, really nice to get one mostly dry event. Gonna miss racing after this short season :(

The pink bike and vitalmtb coverage is great as well, shows the cool parts of the track the broadcast missed. Would highly recommend if you're looking for a little more coverage or behind the scenes a bit.

Torbo
Jun 12, 2007
The track looked phenomenal. Loose, steep, soft, natural. I thought it was probably the best looking track i can remember seeing, just looked like it would be so much fun to ride. Obviously for me that would mean skipping the big drops and like creeping my way down it trying to survive, rather than absolutely railing it the whole way down like them, but still

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I have this magcshine headlamp:

Spent $150 on the drat thing and I've used it < 20 times. It now does not seem to be holding a charge. I like how the headlamp attaches to my helmet, so I'd like to keep the form factor. What should I get to replace it? Really disappointed with the lifespan of this product. I had an older magicshine headlamp that held up great. Unfortunately, I've handed that down to my BIL.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I have been using Cygolite. an 1100 on my helmet and a 550 on my bars. I would put a brighter one on the bars but the 550 is what I already have for commuting to work (when that was a thing...). My helmet one mounts like a go pro does and my helmet has a snap in mount to hold it.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

n8r posted:

Spent $150 on the drat thing and I've used it < 20 times. It now does not seem to be holding a charge. I like how the headlamp attaches to my helmet, so I'd like to keep the form factor. What should I get to replace it? Really disappointed with the lifespan of this product. I had an older magicshine headlamp that held up great. Unfortunately, I've handed that down to my BIL.

If you like the light, I’d keep it and get a new battery from Action LED or eBay. It’ll be cheaper than getting a new light and battery anyway.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I bought some cheap-rear end headlamps on Amazon/eBay like 4 years ago and they just work well. I'm sure one day they'll catch fire and send me down a ravine, but I'd like to hear what the best dollar/performance options are out there.

I have two of these on my handlebars for flood lights:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HNL4DTS

And I ended up buying 3 total of these because I liked the light but the battery life is only about 70-90 minutes, so I needed extra batteries.
https://www.ebay.com/vod/FetchOrderDetails?itemid=152165053391&transid=1791002527005&ul_noapp=true

I bought some extra 18650 batteries for the floods, but to be honest I've never needed a fresh set while on the trail. I have less than $110 invested in everything but I know I'll need to replace something eventually.

What are y'all using?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Bud Manstrong posted:

If you like the light, I’d keep it and get a new battery from Action LED or eBay. It’ll be cheaper than getting a new light and battery anyway.

Can you link me the proper battery? Do I have to tear my battery apart to do this? I'm not sure what I need to look for.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

n8r posted:

In your position I would contact the seller and get it replaced.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

In your position I would contact the seller and get it replaced.

I've done that both through their site and through Amazon. We'll see if they get back to me. The particular model isn't even on Amazon any longer so I don't have the option to leave a nasty review.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

n8r posted:

Can you link me the proper battery? Do I have to tear my battery apart to do this? I'm not sure what I need to look for.

You don’t need to tear it apart.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324264376281 should work. Or something like this https://www.action-led-lights.com/collections/batteries/products/gloworm-3400mah-2-cell-battery-no-fuel-gauge.

Bud Manstrong fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 4, 2020

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Apparently our work has an option of taking time off for election day so did my civic duty Tuesday. I somehow broke a cog on the XT cassette and it's one I use a bit and apparently that's gonna hurt pricewise, but otherwise an excellent day biking as always.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Does anyone have a recommendation for the most minimal, smallest frame bag? I want to be able to carry my phone, my wallet, my keys, and (at times) a small snack. I hate the way bags look on a bike so the more subtle, the better.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

One of those small feedbags that go just behind your stem if probably the best option. If you don't want to be looking at it while you ride there are some small triangular bags that go up between the top tube and seat tube.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Most stuff goes in my pockets. I tend to wear baggy shorts plus a jersey so I have a lot of storage space for my phone, multi-tool, snacks, and a light jacket. I also have cargo liner bibs so I can wear a regular shirt and still stick some bars in the back pockets. Then I use a backcountry research strap to carry a tube and co2 on my saddle rails. On my hardtail I usually had a tube strapped into the bottom of the triangle and then have a little thing that straps a co2 and chuck and tire lever to the seatpost. If I'm riding more than 2-3 hours without somewhere to refill water or need extra storage I'll wear a pack, either just a waist/fanny or full backpack.

jamal fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 9, 2020

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

me your dad posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for the most minimal, smallest frame bag? I want to be able to carry my phone, my wallet, my keys, and (at times) a small snack. I hate the way bags look on a bike so the more subtle, the better.

if you hate the way bags look on a bike just get a small/low profile fanny pack like the dakine hot laps 2L

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

If anybody cares, here's a short video of my dog chasing me down a trail. Featuring a crash at the end. I was a bit unbalanced that whole ride and went right into a log after that small bump and went OTB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2TqrbGcWxc

stratdax fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 11, 2020

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

stratdax posted:

If anybody cares, here's a short video of my dog chasing me down a trail. Featuring a crash at the end. I was a bit unbalanced that whole ride and went right into a log after that small bump and went OTB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2TqrbGcWxc

The dog running into is worth extra points!

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

she came to check on you :allears:

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

ironlung posted:

if you hate the way bags look on a bike just get a small/low profile fanny pack like the dakine hot laps 2L

I need to revisit these packs. I just looked up the 2L Hot Laps and it looks perfect. I really do hate the way stuff looks on my bike. I'm probably in the minority, but I'd rather have a bag hanging off my body than strapped to my bike.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I've tried a variety of hip packs and at least in hot and humid environments they are the absolute worst.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I got an osprey hip hydration pack on recommendation from folks in the discord and have been happy with it. It's 1.7l i think and has some auxilliary pouches for extra storage And didn't pop when OTB'd and rolled over it.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Fanny pack is definitely still better than a backpack in that regard.

I have a dakine hotlaps 5l and it's good as long as I don't fill it all the way up with water and then I try to drink more of that first before the bottles on the frame so that it's lighter. You feel it bouncing around quite a bit on descents when it has more than like 1.5l in it (it holds 2). If I don't need the water I can pull the reservoir out and it's a pretty good way to carry just a little bit of extra stuff and is pretty light and unobtrusive.

Other option is the frame bag. I picked up a topeak midloader and it fits both the cx bike and hardtail pretty well. Was really great for all the bigger gravel days I did this summer.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

I've tried a variety of hip packs and at least in hot and humid environments they are the absolute worst.

I'm in a hot and humid environment (summer 90+°F with 65+%) but I'm used to it. I wore a Cambelbak MULE for a decade and only stopped using it because I put a bottle cage on my bike. I still use it for really big rides and it doesn't bother me in the heat.

I also saw this Stealth Dakine, which may do the trick. I don't need more water.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

Hip packs are great and miles better than backpacks. I have this one and dig it. The bottle holders are easier to use than any other pack I’ve tried - you can easily remove and replace bottles while riding - and it fits enough stuff for most rides.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

also bags on bikes are cool. the more bags the faster you go.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!
As a rider in a hot and humid environment, hip packs are a thousand times better than backpacks. Hip packs let your shirt hang loose over your back instead of just pressing against you. I use a Hot Laps but most of them seem to be good. I find backpacks to be really awkward when moving around on the bike too, whereas hip packs (for me) stay put and don't affect my upper body moving around or bounce when I have to change position quickly.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

VacaGrande posted:

As a rider in a hot and humid environment, hip packs are a thousand times better than backpacks. Hip packs let your shirt hang loose over your back instead of just pressing against you. I use a Hot Laps but most of them seem to be good. I find backpacks to be really awkward when moving around on the bike too, whereas hip packs (for me) stay put and don't affect my upper body moving around or bounce when I have to change position quickly.

I find the same in a dry, hot climate with my hot laps. like it a lot.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

me your dad posted:

I need to revisit these packs. I just looked up the 2L Hot Laps and it looks perfect. I really do hate the way stuff looks on my bike. I'm probably in the minority, but I'd rather have a bag hanging off my body than strapped to my bike.

me your dad posted:

I'm in a hot and humid environment (summer 90+°F with 65+%) but I'm used to it. I wore a Cambelbak MULE for a decade and only stopped using it because I put a bottle cage on my bike. I still use it for really big rides and it doesn't bother me in the heat.

I also saw this Stealth Dakine, which may do the trick. I don't need more water.

I've got the Dakine 1.5L Hot Laps and it does everything I need (hold my phone, a few snacks, and, occasionally, an extra water bottle ). That said, I've been very tempted by that Stealth pack, since I tend to wear mine under my jersey anyway

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I was looking at dakine but their short straps can't accommodate my manly hips. Osprey's are 2 side adjustable and easy to since down.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

I don't get hip packs as-is, I always find them super bouncy or cinched down waaaaay too tight. I do wonder if I tried it with some kind of suspenders if I'd have better luck.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

me your dad posted:

I'd get a burrito bag or one that goes behind your stem.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

DeesGrandpa posted:

I don't get hip packs as-is, I always find them super bouncy or cinched down waaaaay too tight. I do wonder if I tried it with some kind of suspenders if I'd have better luck.

lol deong was just saying this same thing the other day before realizing he was essentially describing a backpack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

camelbak makes a lumbar pack for mountain biking, and there's also http://www.wingnutgear.com/ who make a range of low-slung backpacks. I've never been interested enough to spend $100+ to try the idea out, though