Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Don't ask how I know (yeah I bought one of the books sue me) but someone's selling Cataclysm fanfiction on amazon and apparently doing fairly well out of it:

Rapture (Apocalypse Gates Author's Cut Book 1)

TBH it's pretty gross and the writing is bearable at best.

e: technically it's more cataclysm-inspired I guess, but it's pretty clear that's mostly to do with rights with how many references there are

it's still very much not great mind you

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Nov 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Thats it, I'm gonna write a narrative of my latest playthrough and sell it on amazon. This is how I get out of retail. Catgirl lab experiment fanfic is a go

E: I'll also do one of my Rimworld playthrough and gently caress it, just narrative of my kenshi LP

Leal fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 13, 2020

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, that's a pretty effective technique, although it also takes about as much waiting and standing around as just manually bashing them into pulped meat. There's only ever so much of the game world around you that is actively being processed, so one doesn't really gain all that much from that tactic if they find the whole procedure tedious and boring already. As fun as it is to set houses on fire, it's just not the same if you do it in a video game

Yeah, the odd time I've lit a building on fire, it's burning for the rest of the game because at best it's only going to be in your reality bubble for a few minutes at a time. That's not a complaint from me at least, that's just the nature of how the game works.

Started playing a bit again this week, after a couple of months off; did they gently caress around with fires recently? I can't seem to keep one lit for more than a couple of minutes of game time, even in a brazier or oven.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
They ideal way to do house fires is light one and then just go across the street to another house, put earplugs in and read a book or two.

2-3 planks should be enough for a decent fire I think, but again Im using a modpack.

Private Speech posted:

Don't ask how I know (yeah I bought one of the books sue me) but someone's selling Cataclysm fanfiction on amazon and apparently doing fairly well out of it:

Rapture (Apocalypse Gates Author's Cut Book 1)

TBH it's pretty gross and the writing is bearable at best.

e: technically it's more cataclysm-inspired I guess, but it's pretty clear that's mostly to do with rights with how many references there are

it's still very much not great mind you

If you don't mind doing a post about the connections and stuff that would be neat. I always like that kinda stuff but not enough to read the book.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Nov 13, 2020

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Telsa Cola posted:

You could always light a house on fire and hide and watch as dozens of zeds come to check out the noise and fall into the flames.

Bonus if there was a basment so now theres a gaping, house sized pit in the ground full of trapped zombies.

Running them over a lot works too, especially if you have wheels the entire width of your deathmobile.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Telsa Cola posted:

If you don't mind doing a post about the connections and stuff that would be neat. I always like that kinda stuff but not enough to read the book.

There's quite a lot of it such as the omnipresent scavangeable cars, how zombies work, the titular Apocalypse Gates being basically the dimension gates from Cataclysm, the general setting of small towns separated by road and wilderness, survivors in terms of frequency and building shelters, giant ants, other monsters and zombie types (including zombified animals) and how more advanced ones appear with time, and this part I've taken from a review of the book on amazon:

quote:

The reason I feel this series isn't as good as Alpha world is because it keeps changing. I get that this is part of the story - the creators of the game haven't got it right the first time (or the second, or the third), and so the constant changes are part of the plot. They are an annoying part, however. Heavy exposition is frustrating to read more than once and so when the mechanics of the game seem to change almost every book, it's tiresome to have to try to remember all the new changes and why they matter.

The plot such as it is is Matrix except in a videogame because of reasons something something dystopian capitalism uploaded minds are put through videogames with real death as mass entertainment, but it's mostly an excuse and it doesn't play a huge role later on. The main character is content and even happy to be in the game world soon enough.

Again it's rather tedious, marysueish and some of the writers views are highly questionable, I eventually couldn't bring myself to keep reading.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Nov 13, 2020

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Wolfechu posted:

Started playing a bit again this week, after a couple of months off; did they gently caress around with fires recently? I can't seem to keep one lit for more than a couple of minutes of game time, even in a brazier or oven.

Yup. Its broken.

Revert to one of the older builds until it is fixed.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Good to see this thread resurrected. This game owns.

Have a video of my shortest ever run :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFnHhcB265s

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Jarf posted:

Bahahahahaha.

My save got borked, always keep a backup kiddos.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Jarf posted:

The game owns except when it doesn't, which is much of the time.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I'm just glad to see Bright Nights is still being worked on.

e: is it possible to plant c4 on metal doors to blow them up

Stairmaster fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Nov 23, 2020

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
ive never used any explosives outside of the grenades you find on soldier zombies. so much stuff in this game you can mess around with tho. so many possible playstyles

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

I'm just glad to see Bright Nights is still being worked on.

e: is it possible to plant c4 on metal doors to blow them up

By plant you mean activate then drop/throw then yes. Metal doors also go down to 1-2 .50 cal shots.

The BL9 (Resident evil rip off dungeons) mod is neat thought I 100% sequence broke the castle one my ramming the murderwagon through the exterior walls in the boss room and hosing down everyone with the .50 and a turret USP rifle.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I tried throwing it at the door in a police station and leaving it next to them and it didn't seem to have any effect.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

I tried throwing it at the door in a police station and leaving it next to them and it didn't seem to have any effect.

Did you activate it before hand? It should break those walls.

Edit: that was a bit dumb to ask, Im sure you did. You can try to focus the blast, you can grab a pick axe and mine through the wall/door, you can use a rocket, a .50 cal, or a vehicle. Also the torches.

Reading more into it explosives seem to be finicky when not properly couched.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 24, 2020

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
golf bags are really nice but they can have max item length of 59 inches so you cant carry a mop because those are 59 :(

i can carry my katana, AR, elephant gun, battle rifle and shotgun in it at the same time but it cant fit a loving mop

list of items i didnt expect to be op in this game:

golf bag
inline skates
mop
towel
curtains (most op item in the game imho, gives you all the components needed to craft a mop or towel )

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Feature request: Friendly NPCs can be your caddies

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Slaapaav posted:

golf bags are really nice but they can have max item length of 59 inches so you cant carry a mop because those are 59 :(

i can carry my katana, AR, elephant gun, battle rifle and shotgun in it at the same time but it cant fit a loving mop

list of items i didnt expect to be op in this game:

golf bag
inline skates
mop
towel
curtains (most op item in the game imho, gives you all the components needed to craft a mop or towel )

Gotta ask, why a mop? Is it a weapon, or is there some interaction I'm not seeing?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Dirk the Average posted:

Gotta ask, why a mop? Is it a weapon, or is there some interaction I'm not seeing?

Those pesky bloodstains are annoying.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Just because civilization has ended doesn't mean we can't be civilized ourselves.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Telsa Cola posted:

Edit: that was a bit dumb to ask, Im sure you did. You can try to focus the blast, you can grab a pick axe and mine through the wall/door, you can use a rocket, a .50 cal, or a vehicle. Also the torches.

Reading more into it explosives seem to be finicky when not properly couched.

It would be nice if the game had shaped charges which could more reliably be used for controlled demolitions

incidentally c-4 is my favorite way to break into strange temples

the real big brains way to break into metal shutters is an acetylene torch though

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
What kind of mop is only 59 inches long? That has to be murder on your back.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
mops seem to instantly clear tiles that are covered with sticky sludge. there doesnt appear to be much (if any) time cost for the mopping action, so the pupating zombies that leave oceans of sticky sludge everywhere become much less deadly if you find your escape route cut off while being chased by a zombie horde.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

So I want to try out the Bright Nights fork. I have some questions before I play.

1) How far behind experimental is it? I mainly want the pockets update at least if it already works along with any possible NPC upgrades.
2) Are mods made for the main fork compatible? I want to have a Magiclysm run on CBN if possible.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
My understanding is that BN does not include and by design will never include the pockets system.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Telsa Cola posted:

Edit: that was a bit dumb to ask

I'm sure it's dumb to ask most people this, but my dumb rear end has thrown unactivated grenades at zombies more than once.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Dreamsicle posted:

So I want to try out the Bright Nights fork. I have some questions before I play.

1) How far behind experimental is it? I mainly want the pockets update at least if it already works along with any possible NPC upgrades.
2) Are mods made for the main fork compatible? I want to have a Magiclysm run on CBN if possible.

1. As mentioned above, the container system isn't used.

2. Yeah they are pretty compatible, I am having some issues but in 90% sure its because I jammed like 80 mods on at once and some conflict with eachother. But magiclysm should work perfectly imo.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Wolfechu posted:

I'm sure it's dumb to ask most people this, but my dumb rear end has thrown unactivated grenades at zombies more than once.

I lost a very good character trying to point blank burst a zombie. Pro tip: Underbarrel grenade launchers are included in the F rotation.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
ive taken damage from my own hand grenades more often than not. mostly not a lot of damage but still. they are extremely useful for thinning out big groups of lower tier and squishy zombies

best way to use them is to wield them before you activate and throw. if you activate them while they are still in a bag and you try to throw them while holding something else you wont have any time to seek cover, it might even explode in the air while you throw it!! they seem to have a short range blast zone that will do some damage even through a fair bit of cover, shrapnel has much longer range but can be completely avoided with cover. i havent used them that many times or looked at the code so all this might be garbage?

Slaapaav fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Nov 25, 2020

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I recommend using the peek command to throw grenades from behind corners. This is also useful for dispatching of turrets.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Firing up the latest cataclysm up after a couple years away.

It’s very early on, and I’m cycling past an anthill past dozens of uninterested ants when I hear gunfire from below. Bit odd for ants, so maybe there’s something interesting happening down there. I pop into the entrance to the anthill and fall straight into a lab.

This is happening a bit earlier than expected. I have a short bow and a quarterstaff. I do not think I can climb back out.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Firing up the latest cataclysm up after a couple years away.

It’s very early on, and I’m cycling past an anthill past dozens of uninterested ants when I hear gunfire from below. Bit odd for ants, so maybe there’s something interesting happening down there. I pop into the entrance to the anthill and fall straight into a lab.

This is happening a bit earlier than expected. I have a short bow and a quarterstaff. I do not think I can climb back out.

Yeah you're probably doomed. But hey, lesson learned, right?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Sink or swim homie.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Only option is to crawl out using a grappling hook made out of your enemies.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Do bandits have the ability to hide, or anything like that?

I found a bandit camp and started clearing it out at range with my M4, but because of how much damage NPCs can apparently take, I had to drive home and reload on ammo before coming back the next day. While fleeing, a single bandit followed me out, but I got to my car and escaped. After coming back the next day, I found the bandit who chased me outside of the compound and took him down with little incident.

When I started going back towards the compound's entrance, I saw a fish in a nearby lake and safe mode stopped my movement. I deactivated safe mode and took one step, then my game stopped for several seconds and I got a "please wait" prompt similar to when you sleep. When the prompt finished processing, I had been shot several times and died before I was able to react. There was absolutely nothing in view except for the fish that triggered my safe mode.

I also got a message saying that a thug had missed me.... seventeen thousand times. Even if bandits do have the ability to hide, or for some reason I just completely missed him, surely this has to be some kind of bug? I'm playing on an experimental build from a few weeks ago.

EDIT: I was able to savescum and recover from an autosave just a few moments before my death. Moving directly towards where I died the first time, two out of three times the exact same thing happened. The other time gameplay seemed to proceed as normal.

Spoggerific fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Nov 26, 2020

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

What the gently caress :psyduck:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

That seems just a little buggy, yes.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, seems like something glitched out and set the time cost of that action down to close to zero, if I had to guess.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

There are bandits now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Does anyone have experience with reporting bugs in Cataclysm? What happened to me above seems to be at least partially reproducible, and I have a save where it happens. Should I go to their dev discord, open an issue on github, or is it maybe too much of a pain to bother?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

There are bandits now?

Yeah. I'm not sure how long they've been in, since the last time I played was 2-3 years ago when NPCs were only barely functional and disabled by default. This is my first time encountering any kind of NPC whatsoever in my world after about 90 in-game days of play, but apparently they're really good now, to the point where you can recruit them and make a settlement and even have them do things like help you with crafting tasks.