Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i think what i liked most is the comforting fiction that somewhere in our government, people were at least competent and capable. Evil, clearly, but competent and capably so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
except for the Hawkeye one that one sucked poo poo

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

indigi posted:

you mean the MCU guy?

was he the guy who stepped in on our beloved matt damon?

yeah jeremy renner

so that is your main complaint the guy from the comic book movie had to not be matt damon a guy who definitely did not come from comic book movies

e: sorry never saw it or the other ones agreeing with rotor there is a kind of grace to competence even when evil and everyone should just watch Confessions of a Dangerous Mind

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lol it always cracks me up when he uncaps that pen

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

indigi posted:

the Bourne movies rule actually

indigi posted:

:hai:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Howard the Duck was the only good MCU movie.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Schadenboner posted:

Howard the Duck was the only good MCU movie.
and yet they cut the condom scene on the bluray

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

avery brooks is just slamming it early even with the hair and no beard

maybe it's residual love for when i was a kid and the tng borg arc got good but probably the best capitan is sisko

it's going to take you a while to get there, but eventually you will get to watch S06E19, In The Pale Moonlight, which is the single best hour of Star Trek ever aired.

i love ds9 so much

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Jonny 290 posted:

it's going to take you a while to get there, but eventually you will get to watch S06E19, In The Pale Moonlight, which is the single best hour of Star Trek ever aired.

i love ds9 so much

argh

"Far Beyond the Stars" is the 137th episode of the syndicated science fiction television series Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, the 13th episode of season 6. The teleplay was written by Ira Steven Behr and Hans Beimler, based on a story by Marc Scott Zicree, and directed by Avery Brooks.

that one i mean that's debatable but as far as the star treks go doing a bottle episode i guess is cheating against an ongoing plot line

it's just outside of the universe and was kind of prescient and kind of tone deaf but looking forward to all that

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that one's up there too.

basically ds9 later seasons are amazing

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
i feel like vonnegut should have been credited somehow for that one

just cheesy scifi mixed with real social commentary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1X9h4Xv-6I

i never watched tos but i respect the fact that it pushed even so slightly

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I recently finished up umbrella academy and it was pretty decent for something based on a comic book. Has anyone read the actual comics? How are they?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I recently finished up umbrella academy and it was pretty decent for something based on a comic book. Has anyone read the actual comics? How are they?

they're short, just a limited series really

though there was a new one released recently after season 1 that i haven't gotten yet

the adaptation built up on top of it a decent amount, of course. i liked them

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Umbrella Academy reminded me a hell of a lot of The Transition by Iain M Banks, particularly in how they represented The Handler in the series

It was good.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
the creator of umbrella academy was a comic book nerd who tried breaking in at dc comics in his early 20s but got nowhere, so he switched to plan b: become a rock star, sell almost 10 million records, and then go back to dc and try again (it worked)

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i liked the umbrella show which is weird because i never like time travel nonsense

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

FMguru posted:

the creator of umbrella academy was a comic book nerd who tried breaking in at dc comics in his early 20s but got nowhere, so he switched to plan b: become a rock star, sell almost 10 million records, and then go back to dc and try again (it worked)

lol

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
he got his own pop-up sub-line ("young animal")

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I hated the comics when I tried to read them. I do like the show though.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
cause of a twitter thread i endedup rewatching Looker (1981), absolutely falls apart in the second half but man the first half is a real early cyberpunk mood

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
s3 of sopranos isn’t really grabbing me as much as the first two but the ep where paulie from rocky carries out a hit on his godson was pretty great for a number of reasons.

joey pants’s character is not really written or directed very well so far imo which is disappointing. the butt cut is pretty lol at least

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So I’m rewatching Who Mourns For Morn and I’m confused: how could Morn have sat down on “that very bar stool” 10 years ago if the FCA liquidated all of Quark’s chattels and he had to get new furniture at the end of the union episode?

:confused:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

sometimes people in television shows say things that are inaccurate.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Achmed Jones posted:

sometimes people in television shows say things that are inaccurate.

:mad:!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Kenny Logins posted:

joey pants’s character is not really written or directed very well so far imo which is disappointing. the butt cut is pretty lol at least
he is the worst and will remain the worst, his only redeeming quality is the way he pronounces "whore." he's not even a particularly compelling villain, just a shithead they shoehorned into the story played by a good actor

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
we just finished the sopranos ep where joey pants beats a stripper to death. jesus christ

still not sure if it was worse than the ep where chris and adrianna try to get a miserably awful alternative band off the ground

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Kenny Logins posted:

we just finished the sopranos ep where joey pants beats a stripper to death. jesus christ

still not sure if it was worse than the ep where chris and adrianna try to get a miserably awful alternative band off the ground

there is always more and it is always worse

there was a youtube of ugliness inherent in the system it's been taken down

BaldDwarfOnPCP fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Nov 13, 2020

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
so much fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQb00kKRA08

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

that was a good season. except for the ufo poo poo

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Kenny Logins posted:

that was a good season. except for the ufo poo poo

the ufo poo poo did kind of detract from hanzee dent's arc

i'm not sure why but that was interesting to me and then yeah

still think fargo should lean in to scifi poo poo just as a counterpoint to the hideousness of the human experience

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
also, sorry i did try to put spoiler tags on the soprano clip but that did not work

i can go back and edit it out and maybe should

the show has been out for a while

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Im watching thru legion again and then im gonna watch thru fargo again

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

also, sorry i did try to put spoiler tags on the soprano clip but that did not work

i can go back and edit it out and maybe should

the show has been out for a while
yeah don’t worry about it. i am the last person who hasn’t seen it and even i can’t fault you for it lol

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

still think fargo should lean in to scifi poo poo just as a counterpoint to the hideousness of the human experience
it worked better in s3 yeah. not perfect but integrated better

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Shaggar posted:

Im watching thru legion again and then im gonna watch thru fargo again

why not watch something new

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

fart simpson posted:

so much of new things are bad and so much of old, watched things, are good

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

if you watch something and like it, you'll probably like it if you watch it again. maybe even more!

new things might suck, and frequently do. nobody rewatches stuff they don't like, except tori and star wars bc he just can't help himself

I like to mix it up, you know? I watch new tv AND old tv. I'm kind of a Renaissance man that way

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Achmed Jones posted:

if you watch something and like it, you'll probably like it if you watch it again. maybe even more!

new things might suck, and frequently do. nobody rewatches stuff they don't like, except tori and star wars bc he just can't help himself

I like to mix it up, you know? I watch new tv AND old tv. I'm kind of a Renaissance man that way

you can not go wrong with queen's gambit

just putting that out there like it's my original thought

and a fun rewatch from a couple years ago that may have been in this thread is Sorry to Bother You

and based on the fact that the main character is black and has curly hair immediately i had to say watch Atlanta

i felt bad that that was where my mind went but gently caress it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

fart simpson posted:

there arent alot of new things worth watching

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
i'm gonna preemptively defend myself and say that Sorry to Bother You had a main character who kind of had something in common with Don Glover's character in Atlanta

both of them were intelligent but struggling with lovely jobs and lovely situations i'm sure i can't relate