Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Somewhere in the New Republic, Han Solo is being MeTooed and his wife Leia has to denounce him.

i mean he shot her with a Date rape/roofie gun once when he got jealous of her possibly marrying some prince. https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Gun_of_Command

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Admiral Daala once crashed a Super Star Destroyer into a planet on accident.

There is an entire race of aliens in the Star Wars universe that look like Baraka from Mortal Kombat hosed a Githyanki.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

PoptartsNinja posted:

There is an entire race of aliens in the Star Wars universe that look like Baraka from Mortal Kombat hosed a Githyanki.

the only place that alien is too cool for is star trek

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean he shot her with a Date rape/roofie gun once when he got jealous of her possibly marrying some prince. https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Gun_of_Command

I was rewatching clone wars yesterday and it’s really remarkable how pivotal that single dumb loving book ended up being to Star Wars canon, both Legends and the real one. Darth Maul’s resurrection, Ventress’s backstory, whatever the hell is going on on Dathomir in Fallen Order (haven’t gotten there yet)... it’s honestly amazing.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Hazo posted:

I was rewatching clone wars yesterday and it’s really remarkable how pivotal that single dumb loving book ended up being to Star Wars canon, both Legends and the real one. Darth Maul’s resurrection, Ventress’s backstory, whatever the hell is going on on Dathomir in Fallen Order (haven’t gotten there yet)... it’s honestly amazing.

dathomir is pretty cool it's just the rape gun that sucks

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like Dathomir in the Clone Wars is radically different from how it is in the book. No rancors, and there's zabrak male villages for some reason.

Then in Rebels they visit Dathomir and all the witches are dead, killed off by the Empire. They did leave some ghosts, so maybe their order could somehow be revived by the time of the early EU, but I feel like Kylo Ren's age might imply that Han and Leia's relationship progressed slower than it did in the EU anyways.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The only big element they kept from old Dathomir for new Dathomir is “dark side witches”.

SlothfulCobra posted:

all the witches are dead, killed off by the Empire

Separatists. Grievous did it for Dooku in Clone Wars

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I guess it’s just weird to me that they kept the name and everything from a book that had a bunch of gross weird stuff like elderly witch titties and rancors and exploding teeth torture and rape guns and alien princes and threepio singing songs about Han being great

They’ve shown before they’re willing to canonize old EU stuff while slapping a different label on it (Korriban/Moribund comes to mind). Maybe they just really like the way Dathomir sounded.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

why does my thread title keep getting changed to be dull. this ain't star wars science, that's for the people who debate the specs of star destroyers

this is a thread about corran horn loving an otter, and other science facts

btw while star wars is the main focus please feel free to post other science facts as the mood strikes you. i would be particularly curious to see star trek EU as my only exposure to it is a couple of shatner novels and, well

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 13, 2020

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hazo posted:

I guess it’s just weird to me that they kept the name and everything from a book that had a bunch of gross weird stuff like elderly witch titties and rancors and exploding teeth torture and rape guns and alien princes and threepio singing songs about Han being great

They’ve shown before they’re willing to canonize old EU stuff while slapping a different label on it (Korriban/Moribund comes to mind). Maybe they just really like the way Dathomir sounded.

Hell the entirety of Episode IX is just a montage of EU ideas

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Jazerus posted:

why does my thread title keep getting changed to be dull. this ain't star wars science, that's for the people who debate the specs of star destroyers

btw while star wars is the main focus please feel free to post other science facts as the mood strikes you. i would be particularly curious to see star trek EU as my only exposure to it is a couple of shatner novels and, well

:chaostrump:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

thanks. well, he really only did it once, so it's "hosed"

but the essentials are there and i appreciate the variety i think. declension is the spice of life

for reference i'd welcome title changes that followed the format "x, and other science facts" as i suppose corran horn isn't everybody's thing but the thread does need that certain factual mood

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Nov 13, 2020

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Jazerus posted:

for reference i'd welcome title changes that followed the format "x, and other science facts" as i suppose corran horn isn't everybody's thing but the thread does need that certain factual mood

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

...Where’s the stat for getting it on with a Selonian?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Karl Urban is really getting around in big franchises.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Jazerus posted:

That book is the alpha and omega of trek EU, quit while you're ahead.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like when Star Trek gets weird it's less exciting because while Star Wars's weirdest stuff is off in little corners that probably never got editorial approval, Star Trek just has plenty of that poo poo in the show itself, so it's not like books can get that much weirder than Worf turning into a lobster and eating a crewmate or Janeway evolving into a lizard and copulating and laying eggs.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like when Star Trek gets weird it's less exciting because while Star Wars's weirdest stuff is off in little corners that probably never got editorial approval, Star Trek just has plenty of that poo poo in the show itself, so it's not like books can get that much weirder than Worf turning into a lobster and eating a crewmate or Janeway evolving into a lizard and copulating and laying eggs.

SCIENCE FACT: Worf De-Evolved into a spider, Janeway was Evolved into a newt (she got better)

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

fartknocker posted:

...Where’s the stat for getting it on with a Selonian?

The health, as the mad lad still got finished even though it raised a rash.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

skasion posted:

Separatists. Grievous did it for Dooku in Clone Wars

I think it was just that Clan(which was the most powerful). We see a witch on Dathomir in Jedi: Fallen Order.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Linux Pirate posted:

I think it was just that Clan(which was the most powerful). We see a witch on Dathomir in Jedi: Fallen Order.

Merrin is a lone survivor of that purge, she’s super hacked off about it still

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

skasion posted:

Merrin is a lone survivor of that purge, she’s super hacked off about it still

Not lone, but they were defiantly scarce.

Wookieepedia posted:

Following the end of the Clone Wars, the Nightsisters' massacre at the hands of Grievous and Dooku became known, with very few Nightsisters remaining, like Merrin. However, as the Nightbrothers weren't wiped out. Merrin would take them as her servants and they took control of Dathomir during the age of the Galactic Empire.[12]

At some point during the age of the Galactic Empire, a female Inquisitor found Jerserra, a member of a Nightsister sect known as the Nardithi Nightsisters, and took her as an apprentice. However, years later, Jerserra betrayed her master, covered up her death, and took her double-bladed spinning lightsaber.[4]

The existence of the Nardithi might suggest there are a few, very small sects of witches somewhere out there.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Love that his flavor quote is tearing him down

"I bet you wish you had unpacked Luke Skywalker"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Corda. Bien sucks, there I said it. poo poo character

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Corda. Bien sucks, there I said it. poo poo character

i like him in i, jedi because he's just used as a mouthpiece to poo poo on kevin j anderson

i think that is the only legends book that explicitly revisits the events of another book and retcons the poo poo out of it

otherwise yeah. he's bad, op.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 16, 2020

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Wraith Squadron did some heavy retconning of Courtship of Princess Leia too. And Zahn’s Hand of Thrawn undid the Lando/Mara relationship

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

That time the Hutts built a death star and the rebels hosed the pooch ten ways from sunday trying to stop them but it was okay because they used low-bid contractors for everything and cut the navigation system budget too close to the bone so it flew straight into an asteroid as soon as they tried to use it

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

shame on an IGA posted:

That time the Hutts built a death star and the rebels hosed the pooch ten ways from sunday trying to stop them but it was okay because they used low-bid contractors for everything and cut the navigation system budget too close to the bone so it flew straight into an asteroid as soon as they tried to use it

Darksaber

Andersonnnnnn :argh:

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

You know people always poo poo on this, and yes it's an idea that probably can't support even a slim mass-market paperback, but I'm gonna go to bat for Darksaber as a concept. A bunch of hedonistic libertarian gangsters try and copy the Death Star, but cheap out on the armor, infrastructure, navigation and pretty much everything but the big doom laser itself, so it's just a big janky Groverhaus-esque piece of poo poo that's sorta terrifying until it plows itself into an asteroid field and kills itself? That's funny as gently caress in a shaggy dog story kinda way.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

It’s true that the concept of Darksaber isn’t especially terrible compared to some of the other awful “new villain with new super gun that shoots death stars” books. KJA had already written some of those so he knew what he was joking about.

The fun stuff in Darksaber however is all kind of a sideshow to Daala being an idiot while Luke road trips around with his girlfriend/ghost/student

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Come to think of it, I don't think I've seen many big sci-fi stories do much with interstellar organized crime. Usually at most they're a temporary threat that looms off in the distance only to be forgotten when the main plot comes along again.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

SlothfulCobra posted:

Come to think of it, I don't think I've seen many big sci-fi stories do much with interstellar organized crime. Usually at most they're a temporary threat that looms off in the distance only to be forgotten when the main plot comes along again.

the Vatta's War books by Elizabeth Moon are something kind of interesting to check out. Space is explored and settled and has no interstellar legal authorities of any kind; a kid gets kicked out of her planet's space navy and given a trading ship as a sinecure by her family; and fights pirates and poo poo. All the opponents are organized crime, some of the friends are, and while there's some political maneuvering it's pretty much all in service of letting the organized crime do its thing.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Corran was really good in x-wing 1.0(he was, in fact, better than Luke, but that's not saying much), but he got nerfed hard in 2.0 when his double-tap required bullseye-arc shots and the shield regeneration droids are no longer infinite or particularly good. The E-wing he flies looks like something out of battlestar galactica and i think the canon about it was that it was an absolute boondoggle that didn't go anywhere.

vs

Also, does not have any force ability given to force characters that was introduced in 2.0(he would probably be even more expensive if he did)

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 19, 2020

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Hazo posted:

Karl Urban is really getting around in big franchises.

I guess Stackpole no longer has the pull to make them literally put him in the game as his self-insert character like they did for the CCG.

Behold, the man so charismatic and handsome that every woman falls in love with him and every man begs to be his friend.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Defiance Industries posted:

I guess Stackpole no longer has the pull to make them literally put him in the game as his self-insert character like they did for the CCG.

Behold, the man so charismatic and handsome that every woman falls in love with him and every man begs to be his friend.

:swoon:

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
a true science fact from the new Empire Strikes Back short story collection is: all X-Wing pilots wear diapers

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Hell the entirety of Episode IX is just a montage of EU ideas

It really does show that the whole sequel trilogy has Legends DNA all through it.

"Here's the Empire's successors. Their Star Destroyer is twice as big as the Empire's basic Star Destroyer and they built a weapon into a planet that drains stars to power it and can shoot interstellar distances in minutes in a way that allows people on planets to see the shots like they were jet trails." Okay fine, somewhat acceptable if that was basically all they had-"They have a whole bunch of the better Star Destroyers and ones twice as big as those who can take out whole fleets and oh look the guy in charge flies around in a ship three times as big as the Super Star Destroyer Executor and also they have a portable low powered death star laser". Well I suppose some indulgence is "And another hidden part of the Empire built hundreds of OTHER Star Destroyers who also all had stripped down Death Star lasers."

Speaking of the Darksaber, there was its proto-form from the comic, the Tarkin, which was bigged up for being even more dangerous than the Death Star for the same reason the Darksaber ended up sucking so badly, barring the whole 'cheaping out on construction' parts. Also, it supposedly existed because the writer of the comic, David Michelinie, went to his bosses and said "Hey, I'm gonna have the Empire built a second Death Star' and they were like NO NO NO YOU CAN'T DO THAT without saying just why (the comic came out in mid 1981), so he did the Tarkin instead.

Seriously, with all the poo poo that the Empire had built/was building in the old EU, the First Order's excesses seem positively spartan.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

you're telling me that there's no gems in the shatner books? i can buy that the average trek EU book is basically a c-tier episode script and neither more or less weird than the shows. and it's been a long time since i read the first two shatner books, so maybe my memory is faulty here, but it felt like they were running away very quickly into crazytown

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

dordreff posted:

a true science fact from the new Empire Strikes Back short story collection is: all X-Wing pilots wear diapers

I'm pretty sure that's common across the board with jet fighter/long range bomber pilots and astronauts on earth.

Still, lol poop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Normalizing diapers was one of the only changes of the palpatine era largely looked upon with nostalgia in the new republic.