Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Alchenar posted:

Or the prophecy. Or what the Jedi order actually believes in.

At least with the Jedi you get to see how they typically behave. With the Sith you have Maul and Sheev, and Maul dies* and Sheev's an outlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hey so no Ian did not want to do fight scenes at all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjdycGgeaIY

4:35

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Good clip, and a sneak peak of the fabled "Anakin lurking in the background" version of the scene.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah. It’s also crazy how not under wraps the prequels were. I found every spoiler ever through regular released material.

Like I got the book just to know spoilers, and I know they switched out the ending, but I had toys and other little leaked things to fill in those gaps.

Fun times haha.

I’ll never forget the day the NOOOO was leaked and immediately made into a YTMND and a huge meme on that site.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLcaWJtq3DU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
My favorite was how everyone ran out to buy the soundtrack for TPM the day it was released(first new Star Wars soundtrack in like 20 years, so it was a big deal) and one of the tracks was named "The Death of Qui-Gon".

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The novelisation for the original Star Wars came out almost 6 months before the film. It was based on an earlier script (and so included things like Jabba or Luke as Blue 5) but it still spoiled everything.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The novelisation for the original Star Wars came out almost 6 months before the film. It was based on an earlier script (and so included things like Jabba or Luke as Blue 5) but it still spoiled everything.

Because no one cared back then. It was just some silly movie no one had heard about. Mark Hamill tells the story about how he passed the script around to his friends, who passed it around to their friends, who all thought it was the silliest thing they had ever read. That all changed 3 years later.

He also tells a great story about when he was told the "I am your father" twist for ESB. That Kershner pulled him aside on the day of shooting and told him, "What I'm about to tell you, only I know, and George Lucas knows, so if it leaks, we'll know it was you." Which I've always thought was hilarious.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Something I never quite picked up on, and I don't know why, is that McDiarmid is loving great at acting in front of a green screen. The common refrains was 'oh, you can't get good performances in front of a green screen, but Ian just nails every scene, often while interacting with a tennis ball on a blue background. I'm not surprised at all to find out he came from the stage originally. He's very much in the hallowed ranks of amazing classically trained british actors who've ended up with their careers defined by genre films.

That opera scene is actually just peak pulp cinema and it rules.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

McDiarmid is the master of chewing imaginary scenery. He's one of the highlights of every SW movie he's in, even counting his awfully contrived appearance in Rise.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
McDiarmid's Palpatine is my favorite character in the entire saga. Ian is just so good at that role; easily one of the top 5 antagonists ever, I would argue.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Alchenar posted:

'Bullet time' is The Matrix.

e: or at least, that's the film that everyone started copying it from. I don't know if technically they were the first but my understanding is that a lot of those shots were pioneering cinematography. Not merely slow motion but panning the camera around a scene while in slow motion.

Grrr it's a pet peeve of mine when people call all camera moves pans.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Alchenar posted:

Or the prophecy. Or what the Jedi order actually believes in.

The further away I get from last having actually watched the prequels and having the acknowledge all the problems there are with how they come out, the more I appreciate how bold and genius some of the ideas that Lucas had were.

Imagine pitching to Disney a three film series where the main villain who is taking over the galaxy is a periphery character who will enact most of his plot either in the background or by implication and there will never be a point where the protagonists fully comprehend what he's done.

Basically this. Looking back I like the vagueness of the Jedi's beliefs too because it's so empty since for so many years their beliefs have clearly been "murder whoever the senate tells us to."

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Gonz posted:

McDiarmid's Palpatine is my favorite character in the entire saga. Ian is just so good at that role; easily one of the top 5 antagonists ever, I would argue.

In that little clip that got posted, someone said that palpatine is the devil, and McDiarmid absolutely got that and played this larger than life character. He's so good at it that you forget the massive senate scene was probably on a set the size of a living room.

Reminded me, weirdly enough, of those old soviet films like Ivan the Terrible, where there is very little subtlety to the performance, since there was a clear line from stage acting to that style of movie acting.

PeterWeller posted:

McDiarmid is the master of chewing imaginary scenery. He's one of the highlights of every SW movie he's in, even counting his awfully contrived appearance in Rise.

UNLIMITED POWERRRRRRRRRRRR!

I embarassed about liking that scene as a kid and tried to discount criticism rather than embracing the camp and cheese that is often Star Wars at its best.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Snowman_McK posted:

Something I never quite picked up on, and I don't know why, is that McDiarmid is loving great at acting in front of a green screen. The common refrains was 'oh, you can't get good performances in front of a green screen, but Ian just nails every scene, often while interacting with a tennis ball on a blue background. I'm not surprised at all to find out he came from the stage originally. He's very much in the hallowed ranks of amazing classically trained british actors who've ended up with their careers defined by genre films.

That opera scene is actually just peak pulp cinema and it rules.

Some actors require different things. Ian comes from the stage so he’s probably used to dealing with sets that are just voids.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

anybody got any juicy star wars spoilers

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Palpatine is Ray's grandfather

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

The United States posted:

Palpatine is Ray's grandfather

yea i am

she sucks

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

In that little clip that got posted, someone said that palpatine is the devil, and McDiarmid absolutely got that and played this larger than life character. He's so good at it that you forget the massive senate scene was probably on a set the size of a living room.

Reminded me, weirdly enough, of those old soviet films like Ivan the Terrible, where there is very little subtlety to the performance, since there was a clear line from stage acting to that style of movie acting.

UNLIMITED POWERRRRRRRRRRRR!

I embarassed about liking that scene as a kid and tried to discount criticism rather than embracing the camp and cheese that is often Star Wars at its best.

It works though because if you are encased in that much makeup you have to over-emote or the camera isn't going to see anything. McDiarmid knows when he needs to bring subtlety (the opera scene) and when he needs to go full ham.

If anyone wants to see more of him, if you can get ahold of BBC historical-drama 37 days he's fantastic in that (trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B08zSvOJvk).

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

yea i am

she sucks
what did you accomplish before you turned 18 gramps?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

PeterWeller posted:

Even in bit parts like Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

Make a point to look for him? No need, you'll find him when he's in the scene.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

thrawn527 posted:

Because no one cared back then. It was just some silly movie no one had heard about. Mark Hamill tells the story about how he passed the script around to his friends, who passed it around to their friends, who all thought it was the silliest thing they had ever read. That all changed 3 years later.

He also tells a great story about when he was told the "I am your father" twist for ESB. That Kershner pulled him aside on the day of shooting and told him, "What I'm about to tell you, only I know, and George Lucas knows, so if it leaks, we'll know it was you." Which I've always thought was hilarious.

Do you have a decent youtube link to him telling those anecdotes? Always enjoy seeing him talk about OT stuff. I honestly don't know how that dude remained so... normal? all these years.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Corvette Summer probably helped.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Glottis posted:

Do you have a decent youtube link to him telling those anecdotes? Always enjoy seeing him talk about OT stuff. I honestly don't know how that dude remained so... normal? all these years.

You're in luck! He told both when on Graham Norton for The Last Jedi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYgY8xXFCOY

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Alchenar posted:

It works though because if you are encased in that much makeup you have to over-emote or the camera isn't going to see anything. McDiarmid knows when he needs to bring subtlety (the opera scene) and when he needs to go full ham.

If anyone wants to see more of him, if you can get ahold of BBC historical-drama 37 days he's fantastic in that (trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B08zSvOJvk).

Oh yeah, i know why it works, but I used to be one of those people who defended the prequels by going 'no, the silly stuff isn't that silly' while the correct response is 'of course it's silly. The bad guy is satan helped out by dracula to defeat the laser sword wielding space wizards in the past/future.'

I did a bit of a run of the star wars knockoffs/cash ins, like Ice Pirates and Space Adventure Cobra. Is there a list of that kind of film? You know, the 'not star wars for legal reasons' type films.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

McDiarmid Discourse reminds me of how the first time I started realizing how much of a hack Tim Burton was, was when I realized he’d cast McDiarmid, michael gambon, AND the Christophers Lee and Walken in Sleepy Hollow, and barely let them nibble on the scenery at all, or even share scenes.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

That sheev video reminds me of how open they were about the production of the prequels compared to the new ones. The Vader father reveal really just broke star wars. The sequels are just endlessly chasing the high of that reveal

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

McDiarmid Discourse reminds me of how the first time I started realizing how much of a hack Tim Burton was, was when I realized he’d cast McDiarmid, michael gambon, AND the Christophers Lee and Walken in Sleepy Hollow, and barely let them nibble on the scenery at all, or even share scenes.

Walken doesnt even talk in that, does he?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Walken doesnt even talk in that, does he?

He hisses and snarls some.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Holy gently caress that's true.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Lmao, yeah. That's a really good point. I didn't even realize.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

josh04 posted:

The corkscrew jump is self-justifying, sorry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ve1889zS030

"He spins now!"

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

A true teacher is constantly learning from their pupils.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

It is a good trick.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

They spin now?!

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
"Is it possible to learn this trick?"

"Not from the Senate."

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Vinylshadow posted:

They spin now?!

He spins now...

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Doctor Spaceman posted:

David Prowse talked about how Vader is Luke's father at a talk he was giving at a school or something like six months before ESB came out.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Neo Rasa posted:

David Prowse talked about how Vader is Luke's father at a talk he was giving at a school or something like six months before ESB came out.

Well, yes and no, he threw that idea out in an interview in 1978, but it was almost certainly him joking around, since A this was two years before the movie came out and B the whole “obi-wan killed your father” dodge on set was, by all accounts, specifically designed to keep Prowse from figuring it out because he’d been leaking poo poo to journalists in return for promos on his exercise books, so it’s doubtful they would have actually told him.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Well, yes and no, he threw that idea out in an interview in 1978, but it was almost certainly him joking around, since A this was two years before the movie came out and B the whole “obi-wan killed your father” dodge on set was, by all accounts, specifically designed to keep Prowse from figuring it out because he’d been leaking poo poo to journalists in return for promos on his exercise books, so it’s doubtful they would have actually told him.

Ya know, I'm beginning to see why Lucas was pissed with him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

McCloud posted:

Ya know, I'm beginning to see why Lucas was pissed with him
I interviewed Prowse years ago in his ratty London gym. Didn't take much for him to start ranting about how he was done out of stardom by Lucas and James Earl Jones. He's a bitter, bitter (Green Cross) man.