Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
This popfindr thing seems like complete bullshit. There’s no chance there’s 14 units at one of the busiest targets in the area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
I have an LG C9 and a recent Onkyo tx-nr656 Receiver with mediocre 5.1 speakers. The receiver does not have HDMI 2.1 nor eARC.

I figure it is better to plug the PS5 directly into the TV for 4k120 and use ARC with Dolby (or DTS?) Bitstream audio, instead of plugging into the receiver for lossless audio but only 4k60?

Plugging into the TV directly also gives me HDR(RGB), which is not available apparently with HDMI 2.0/my receiver.

Is there any major difference between bitstream Dolby or DTS?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Fat_Cow posted:

I saw a goon complaining about how the PS5 made sounds when you install a PS4 disk. Is it suppose to be completely silent? Since mine made sound when I installed. It made a bit of sound when I launched that disk too but shut off once it got going.

A plastic disc spinning at hundreds of RPM is going to make a noise, so there’s no way it’s going to be ‘silent’. Some people do seem to have noisier drives than others.

It’s only going to spin up to install or to do the license check when you launch the game, it really doesn’t matter unless it sounds like a bag of tools being thrown down the stairs in which case the drive is probably hosed up in some way.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

ethanol posted:

How does the popfinder thing work, does it only update stock for the morning ? It showed stock in local targets yesterday but none actually had any. Now those same stores show less stock today as if they’ve been selling the ones that were not there

it updates as they go. someone bought those units you saw, probably employees

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

The Walrus posted:

So even if you get store pickup Walmart is just shipping it to their store with standard ground shipping instead of using their transport infrastructure. Bizzare. Games are apparently on their way. No sign of the console itself yet.

Yeah, I got one during the 6pm drop yesterday, and this is the current status:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The DualSense's haptics are legitimately amazing, as are the force-feedback triggers. I honestly can't wait to see some proper PS5 exclusives put them to actual use.

The DualSense is unreal. I’m a big ol dork about ~feel~ and nuanced control, immersion via physicality, manipulating the senses and all that and it’s a dream come true. It’s the coolest thing. I absolutely can’t wait to see more psgoons get their hands on it. It’s one of those things that makes me feel like I’m a kid again being blown away by new technology I got to try at Best Buy back in the day or something, haha. The fact that Sony put so much effort into evolving the way games are directly experienced is something I didn’t consider enough early on when the info was dropping. It’s a design focus (audio stuff too!) that makes me very confident about how the PS5 is going to grow through the years.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Costco just canceled my order saying they couldn’t auth my card

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Yeah I wasn't willing to stand in a covid line in freezing weather to maybe get one of the 12 ps5s the employees hadn't claimed.

gently caress this process sucks.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

grieving for Gandalf posted:

it updates as they go. someone bought those units you saw, probably employees

I checked while it in store and it said there were 13 there but there weren’t any

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

Kilometers Davis posted:

The DualSense is unreal. I’m a big ol dork about ~feel~ and nuanced control, immersion via physicality, manipulating the senses and all that and it’s a dream come true. It’s the coolest thing. I absolutely can’t wait to see more psgoons get their hands on it. It’s one of those things that makes me feel like I’m a kid again being blown away by new technology I got to try at Best Buy back in the day or something, haha. The fact that Sony put so much effort into evolving the way games are directly experienced is something I didn’t consider enough early on when the info was dropping. It’s a design focus (audio stuff too!) that makes me very confident about how the PS5 is going to grow through the years.

This is exciting to hear. I don't think anything since the Wii made me think 'wow, this is awesome' in terms of consumer tech. These past few years have all been about iterations rather than something new and awesome. I hope that haptics get good dev support...

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Fed Ex reupdated my order from tomorrow back to today. :shrug: we'll see. Though it's new location is 50 miles away so it seems close.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

ethanol posted:

I checked while it in store and it said there were 13 there but there weren’t any

i'm telling you unless they'd literally sold them out in the fifteen minutes before you got there and it just hadn't updated yet, they were there. it's real accurate

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kilometers Davis posted:

The haptic and trigger technology needs to get into a VR controller yesterday. There's so much that can be done with it there.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i'm telling you unless they'd literally sold them out in the fifteen minutes before you got there and it just hadn't updated yet, they were there. it's real accurate

There’s no way unless they were shoved in the warehouse and the employees were lying about sold out . It showed 13 units all day without budging. Same for showing 2 units at other targets

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

What time did PS5s go up on the playstation direct store yesterday? I want to say it was like 3 pm eastern but I can't remember. Hoping more go up today and I can be ready for it.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

ethanol posted:

There’s no way unless they were shoved in the warehouse and the employees were lying about sold out . It showed 13 units all day without budging. Same for showing 2 units at other targets

I watched it update in real time this morning as my girlfriend and I tried two different Targets for them. that's my anecdote, but it seems to be totally accurate

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

DO IT TO IT posted:

What time did PS5s go up on the playstation direct store yesterday? I want to say it was like 3 pm eastern but I can't remember. Hoping more go up today and I can be ready for it.

it was around that time, I'm trying to be on top of it today

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I watched it update in real time this morning as my girlfriend and I tried two different Targets for them. that's my anecdote, but it seems to be totally accurate

I mean my anectdote is I went to one with 13 units, and several others close to that store with 2 in stock and each target said sold out when I got there despite the app showing those units there while I’m checking in the store

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Costco employee now telling me to gently caress off. Even though the pending charge is showing up on Chase and it’s clearly and error on their end.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I didn't fully appreciate the controller until I played some Astro... holy poo poo this thing is amazing

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I finished Astro last night and then went to play something else and I miss the resistance on the triggers like when you do the UFO or even the gachapon machine.

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer
Popfindr showed 6 for my target. They had six and about twice that many people in line. I showed up late not believing popfindr gued i should of sjowed up two hours before open

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

pigz posted:

Popfindr showed 6 for my target. They had six and about twice that many people in line. I showed up late not believing popfindr gued i should of sjowed up two hours before open

this mfer so mad about it he had a stroke

Primworm
Aug 19, 2008

Six pokeballs, more than enough to catch anything that moves.
Update for those who may have been following my story, my package did indeed make up time in the sort yesterday and is set for delivery today. Now I just have to keep my eye out for FedEx to show up.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
FedEx updated my Target preorder from being delivered Wednesday to...Tuesday!

It's still sitting in Minnesota lol. Been there for days.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Yep, I just now finished getting all the trophies in astro because the game totally earned having every nook and cranny explored. It's totally possible to find every artifact and puzzle piece without any help, but some of the hidden trophies are pretty esoteric - I only thought of maybe half of the things it wanted before I decided to look them up. But even aside from that, make sure you take things slowly so you can really explore and feel all the little differences; if you have any kind of history with Playstation, you should interact with basically every bot npc for neat little animations and callbacks

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

These just dont exist in the uk right?

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

StabMasterArson posted:

Oh they are here, just not for sale until the 19th if you pre-ordered.

If you didn't pre-order you may well be out of luck for a while.

Pitwar fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 13, 2020

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

StabMasterArson posted:

they do but most stores that are not amazon had a proper pre-order queue system, so unless you are really lucky with those day 1 stock then... :shrug:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Also as mentioned by other people in this thread - games that have a PS4 and PS5 version can be annoying.

To make sure you're downloading the right one- in your game library when you confirm the game, select the 3 dots option menu next to download and it should have a prompt for the PS5 version.

This happened to me testing out Dead By Daylight. Since I claimed the game as a PS+ freebie however long ago, it defaulted to that version when I downloaded it. I had to specifically ask it to download the PS5 version instead.

Primworm
Aug 19, 2008

Six pokeballs, more than enough to catch anything that moves.

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

FedEx updated my Target preorder from being delivered Wednesday to...Tuesday!

It's still sitting in Minnesota lol. Been there for days.

Hopefully your package wasn't involved in the 29 vehicle accident yesterday on the interstate. I saw at least one UPS truck in the pile, my heart dropped when i saw that on the news yesterday.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Did the other Best Buy Canada goons get theirs yet? I got same day delivery yesterday so hopefully y'all did as well.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I really want to go pound on bestbuy door about my preparing for pickup on Monday status. It’s there... I know it...

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Primworm posted:

Hopefully your package wasn't involved in the 29 vehicle accident yesterday on the interstate. I saw at least one UPS truck in the pile, my heart dropped when i saw that on the news yesterday.

those poor people playstations, am i right

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jesus, even the media remote is impossible to get, and can only be purchased from scalpers on ebay for a 100% markup.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Is this thing gonna clog with pet hair instantly if left on the ground, or is there a decent shroud on the fan intake?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Not a Children posted:

Is this thing gonna clog with pet hair instantly if left on the ground, or is there a decent shroud on the fan intake?

It has inertial separators instead of mesh filtration. Watch the tear down so you know what to do

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Why are you so confident?

the sky
Jul 25, 2007

I never knew whether I’d truly been in love until my wife’s remote desktop connection was made unusable by me downloading Demon’s Souls. Now I know I really do love the Kingdom of Boletaria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Rexicon1 posted:

Why are you so confident?

i was born like that