Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Sephyr posted:

Are sniper rifles and rocket launchers ever worthwhile as main weapons?

It feels that they don't do enough damamge/run out of ammunition way too fast to be effective. And pretty much every enemy can hit you with flawless accuracy from across the map with a pistol or just pounce to chew your face in two seconds.

The Sandhawk on Zane’s clone on Mayhem 10 absolutely slays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Some of the top tier weapons in the game are sniper rifles and rocket launchers, but outside of the really good legendaries they are only decent options. Snipers in are particular do have a habit of running out of ammo super fast.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

This sounds like heresy but: use a trainer.
It's fun. You don't have to 'ruin' anything for yourself.
You can gently caress around with a lot of variables, or keep it simple with things like 'infinite ammo' and other minor quality of life things so that you can focus on murdering and not scrounging for ammo pointlessly.
Or you can run the game in low gravity and 4x speed for some Unreal Tournament flashbacks.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I got a fun sniper rifle that shoots fire blasts and creates a volcano, and charges fast enough that aiming is not hard.

But yeah, it feels like unless you find a unique legendary, an assault rifle with a good scope or just good grenades are better for longer-range work.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Zane's new tree might encourage sniper usage, but yeah might just settle for a rifle. I don't think there are many stand out snipers besides like the Sandhawk which isn't really used as one. Guess we might get on-level Wedding Invitations in February, and I think I heard the new ones in Arms Race are good.

Are people playing Arms Race in groups? Solo I've not got much it of it, besides the one time I got a Maggie early and deleted everything.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The Storm is a great sniper rifle, especially if you can buff shock damage.

https://borderlands.fandom.com/wiki/Storm_(Borderlands_3)

The Firestorm is also good as a similar incendiary rifle:

https://borderlands.fandom.com/wiki/Firestorm

The Complex Root can be good but is less predictable in my experience, and is only from the Bounty of Blood:

https://borderlands.fandom.com/wiki/Complex_Root

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Sephyr posted:

I got a fun sniper rifle that shoots fire blasts and creates a volcano, and charges fast enough that aiming is not hard.

But yeah, it feels like unless you find a unique legendary, an assault rifle with a good scope or just good grenades are better for longer-range work.

Krakatoa sniper rifles might be my favorite weapon in the game.

Almosthere
Mar 9, 2006
I find the complex root really shines with ricochet or additional pellet count skills. Not a huge fan of too many launchers as the ammo is a bit prohibitive but Jericho's mortar mode can be fun.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Pretty sure Gearbox knew they had a stinker on their hands with this "Arms Race", which is why they packaged it with the new skill trees.

Edit: Yeah, I just tried out Arms Race. Without qualification, it is the worst and most boring Borderlands experience I've ever had outside of their forced dialogue.

They already had a mode where you could fight waves of enemies. It's the circle of slaughter and it's vastly superior to whatever Arms Race is supposed to be. I'm absolutely gobsmacked that this is even a thing. "Hey, let's take all the worst parts of Borderlands and make people sit through them time and time again because we'll lock new legendaries behind it".

And the UI. Oh my loving god, it's more busted on PC right now that it's ever been. Half the time, the escape key doesn't even quit the inventory.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Nov 13, 2020

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I really like the new skill trees but I'm super disappointed they don't want to add new characters. Gaige, Krieg, and Aurelia were some of my favorites to play.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Mr Scumbag posted:

They already had a mode where you could fight waves of enemies. It's the circle of slaughter and it's vastly superior to whatever Arms Race is supposed to be. I'm absolutely gobsmacked that this is even a thing. "Hey, let's take all the worst parts of Borderlands and make people sit through them time and time again because we'll lock new legendaries behind it".

I stopped bothering to follow the news on Arms Race because it sounded like it would be something I absolutely would never want to do, but is that correct, there are going to be Arms Race-only new legendaries?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Anybody try out the next gen versions?

Listerine posted:

I stopped bothering to follow the news on Arms Race because it sounded like it would be something I absolutely would never want to do, but is that correct, there are going to be Arms Race-only new legendaries?

Yeah a bunch, including all the purple trees legendary coms. (don't know if any are good).

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Not only are they locking them behind the lovely gameplay of Arms Race, but from what I am reading, they are very OP. So they are locking what seems to be the best gear in the game behind paid DLC which is extremely lovely.

I don't normally get that bent out of shape about things like this, but for gently caress's sake, the gear in this game had been an unbalanced mess for over a year now, and rather than going back to basics and fixing it, they're just pumping out superior gear behind a paywall.

There's only so long you can look at a screen full of orange gear on the ground and say to yourself "this is all garbage, none of it is useful" before satisfaction of legendaries wears off. Once that turns into knowing that you have to buy DLC and play through a tedious game mode that no one asked for to see the new/best loot, any desire to play goes down the shitter. At least for me it did. I uninstalled. I really have no faith whatsoever in Gearbox at this point.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

That seems to be their MO for balancing. Just plaster big numbers on the new stuff.

When they announced the new skill trees, I was almost certain I was gonna buy the dlc. But I was assuming the designers cut would give us something to do with them. I'll probably pick it up on a sale, or if they ever rework/enhance AR.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Nov 13, 2020

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

They want $29.99 for the Season Pass 2? Yeah, gently caress that. Half that price is pushing it for me, considering what seems like no new content.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Idk it might not be that bad but we still have no idea what's in the director's cut. Kinda lovely.

I think $15 for 4 new trees plus a new mode is fine, except that new mode doesn't address any of the reasons I've lost interest in the the game.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I figure it will be the Holiday Sale on Steam soon, so maybe it will be a more acceptable price then.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Arms Race is the shell of a freemium PvE score attack game that's been Frankenstein'd into TPS's Holodome - which was also heavily panned. There's no skills or action augments, which would be the perfect opportunity to use customizable, monetizable avatars divorced from the 4 characters. I wonder if AR was originally planned as a sideways release, with it's first battle pass being part of BL3 Season 2's pass.

As it stands now, the actual gameplay is a canned loop like Digistruct Peak, which was $5 USD at launch. Enemies and bosses aren't randomized, the map is static, and the loot pool is comically shallow and barely breaks into the double digits. It remains to be seen if GB has any intention of trying to salvage it, but I doubt that.

Moxxi's Underdome remains as the last time Borderlands had a decent randomized horde mode. :(

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Father Wendigo posted:

Arms Race is the shell of a freemium PvE score attack game that's been Frankenstein'd into TPS's Holodome - which was also heavily panned.

Holodome was a good idea on paper (replay value without expending a ton of resources) it's just that the arena wasn't very good (too big and vertical).

I still like it for being one of the few areas that presents a challenge (though again, some of that challenge is from the poorly designed map)

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Nov 13, 2020

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

Rinkles posted:

Yeah a bunch, including all the purple trees legendary coms. (don't know if any are good).

I loaded up the ps5 version last night. It's a step up by every metric except you can only upload one save right now. Like, I uploaded Zane from the ps4 version, switched over to ps5 version and loaded him in, went back to do the next one and it overwrote Zane instead of creating a different save. Hopefully they can fix it because everything else is pretty great. They even put different profiles for different types of guns into the trigger haptics/resistance thing.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Holy poo poo, just when I was about to give up on sniper rifles, I get the True Monocle to drop. If you can hit a crit location, it is just....devastating.

Makes up for the The Lob being so slow that enemies just circle around the energy orbs. If it at least clipped through terrain...

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Yeah. It runs fantastic on my sexbox and my save was there when I booted the game. I honk I’ll finally go and finish the Krieg DLC now. That boss sucked on Amara, but I figure Moze has a better chance.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Sephyr posted:

Holy poo poo, just when I was about to give up on sniper rifles, I get the True Monocle to drop. If you can hit a crit location, it is just....devastating.

Makes up for the The Lob being so slow that enemies just circle around the energy orbs. If it at least clipped through terrain...

I should've mentioned the Monocle when I was listing good sniper rifles above. Yeah, it's a good one, as long as you can adjust to having to use the extreme zoom scope.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I should've mentioned the Monocle when I was listing good sniper rifles above. Yeah, it's a good one, as long as you can adjust to having to use the extreme zoom scope.

Mine is just at the limit of what I can use comfortably. I just hope I can find another of these babies when I hit 65!

Also, do the maliwan mechs have any weak/crit spots? I usually just use corrosive weapons anyway, but it's good to know.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

Sephyr posted:

Mine is just at the limit of what I can use comfortably. I just hope I can find another of these babies when I hit 65!

Also, do the maliwan mechs have any weak/crit spots? I usually just use corrosive weapons anyway, but it's good to know.

If your run slaughter shaft at all at 65 you'll have more monocles then you'll know what to do with. For mechs most are weak in the chest area which is actually the face, if that's makes sense. I usually aim for the red glowy part.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Am I dumb as hell or does Arms Race suck? I can't walk 100 feet in any direction after the start without getting swarmed by half a dozen bandits and I don't have a gun.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Sephyr posted:

I found a Breath of the Dying AR cut through mechs like butter, although you have to be careful not to down yourself with the corrosive orbs it spawns on kills.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

skaboomizzy posted:

Am I dumb as hell or does Arms Race suck? I can't walk 100 feet in any direction after the start without getting swarmed by half a dozen bandits and I don't have a gun.

It's pretty dicey if you land somewhere that lacks an immediately accessible chest. I kinda like the challenge of having to work on the fly with whatever drops to take on the end boss. They're not really tough overall so it's doable without needing all purple or legendary.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Doomy posted:

It's pretty dicey if you land somewhere that lacks an immediately accessible chest. I kinda like the challenge of having to work on the fly with whatever drops to take on the end boss. They're not really tough overall so it's doable without needing all purple or legendary.

I'm playing it on Mayhem 2, should I not be doing that?

DecentHairJelly
Jul 24, 2007

I don't want Fop goddamnit
All of the drop locations should have a starter chest close to where you land. You might have to look a bit harder.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
And are certain rates bound to certain chests? Videos I've seen indicate you have to go for the outer chests to get them.

I've only beaten it once so far, not coincidentally when I got a Maggie.

Vimto
Sep 11, 2001
Manchester City F.C
This helps!

Almosthere
Mar 9, 2006
You can take the arcade machine buffs into arms race for now. There is always a level one chest with two shields and two guns where you land. Find a nearby pack and pick them off gear up and collect everything to sell if you happen to pass a machine or get one in an airdrop. Airdrops and chests have a decent chance of blue or purples not to mention the arms race legendary gear. The boss isn't too bad but you'll be happier if you have something to deal with shields and armor. There's also an unmarked ammo/med vendor at the boss entrance.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

hamsystem posted:

I loaded up the ps5 version last night. It's a step up by every metric except you can only upload one save right now. Like, I uploaded Zane from the ps4 version, switched over to ps5 version and loaded him in, went back to do the next one and it overwrote Zane instead of creating a different save. Hopefully they can fix it because everything else is pretty great. They even put different profiles for different types of guns into the trigger haptics/resistance thing.

The save thing makes me sad and for some reason I can’t figure out how to get my DLC, but that resistive trigger thing is freakin’ nifty. Once they fix the save transfers I’m definitely gonna get back into this for a bit.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Select mayhem 11 in matchmaking for arms race, wait 10 minutes to get another player, game is on mayhem 4.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

hamsystem posted:

I loaded up the ps5 version last night. It's a step up by every metric except you can only upload one save right now.

Not to get all console warrior-y but what the gently caress? Why would Sony do it that way :psyduck:

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

Chasiubao posted:

Not to get all console warrior-y but what the gently caress? Why would Sony do it that way :psyduck:

It's a bug, gearbox is working on a fix.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

hamsystem posted:

It's a bug, gearbox is working on a fix.

It's going to be really weird seeing how they manage to make it less functional than it is right now.

DecentHairJelly
Jul 24, 2007

I don't want Fop goddamnit
There's pretty much zero reason to play arms race on any mayhem level but 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

DecentHairJelly posted:

There's pretty much zero reason to play arms race