Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

wow, that is way less close than I expected

also if I had a vote in these things I would absolutely blow my 10th place vote on the most random possible person, because why not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Lol which old asshat voted tatis tenth

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

For whatever reason I think MVP and CY award shares are a neat and interesting thing to keep track of.

So some notable updates from this year's voting:

Mike Trout's 41% share this year brings his career total to 6.32 MVP award shares, passing Willie Mays and putting him 5th all time (behind Bonds/Musial/Pujols/Williams). Trout needs only another 64% to pass those next three and move into second all time behind Barrold (who's safe with 9.30).

Freeman's surprisingly (imo) large 97.6% share increases his career total to 2.276, taking him from 189th all time up to 78th, sandwiched between Sandy Koufax and Adrian Beltre.

Mookie Betts' 63.8% share bumps him to 2.788, good for 46th all time, between Roberto Clemente (2.80) and Jonny Bench/Derek Jeter (2.77).

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 13, 2020

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

WHO THE gently caress VOTED FOR RYAN TEPERA???????

Took me a few seconds to remember who that even was.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

elentar posted:

also if I had a vote in these things I would absolutely blow my 10th place vote on the most random possible person, because why not

Yeah, this. Downballot MVP votes are totally meaningless, might as well give it to Some Dude You Like. It's like being named the ambassador to Liechtenstein.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

R.D. Mangles posted:

i'm hearing that tony la russa cannot wait to raise a glass in celebration of the MVP

e: https://twitter.com/officialBBWAA/status/1327037490176299010?s=20

WHO THE gently caress VOTED FOR RYAN TEPERA???????

lmao what the gently caress, is it the same guy who gave Kevin Pillar a single MVP vote last year?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
If anything, I'm more offended over the one guy who had Tatis only tenth.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Salvy got a 10th place vote which is cool. And I feel vindicated for my preseason analysis which was that a 60 game season means no second half Salvy, just first half. And, well...161 OPS+, you know?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Ammat The Ankh posted:

If anything, I'm more offended over the one guy who had Tatis only tenth.
yeah that's no question some kind of old guy statement vote

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
A single 10th place vote in an award where they only acknowledge the top 3 places just means you personally like Ryan Tepera.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

elentar posted:

wow, that is way less close than I expected

way, way, way back in the day in the NBA, Craig Ehlo and Brad Lohaus used to give each other a vote.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

apparently the guy who voted for Tepera was St. Louis Post-Dispatch writer Rick Hummel and he voted for him by accident because he clicked on the wrong name on a drop-down menu.
https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/cubs/how-cubs-reliever-ryan-tepera-got-mvp-vote

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

What about the Tatis vote, has that come out who it was yet

e: apparently it was Tracy Ringolsby

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

apparently the guy who voted for Tepera was St. Louis Post-Dispatch writer Rick Hummel and he voted for him by accident because he clicked on the wrong name on a drop-down menu.
https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/cubs/how-cubs-reliever-ryan-tepera-got-mvp-vote

lol and of all people it was an old St. Louis guy.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

R.D. Mangles posted:

Old Person Online

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
I tweeted at Topps about this before so they definitely know they should be credited Weed Mouse the cowards.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Practically dropped out of the top 5 of MVP votes this season, time for him to hang it up.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
It feels weird that I was listening to a ton of Effectively Wild episodes about what has happened to Jose Ramirez last year, then he just casually has another great season.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1327275161268203522
If true, good job Marlins.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Thanks for making me aware of the newest card for my "dumb/funny/silly baseball card" collection

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

I've been down on Jeter for a while but he should be congratulated for this. I hope she wins.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They did say the other day that the pick would be unorthodox

I like it though, she has a good track record

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Kim Ng has rumored for jobs for what, a decade now, and she takes the Marlins job of all things?

Still a big deal tho

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

This rules

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kim Ng was an assistant GM with the Dodgers and interviewed for the GM position when they hired Ned Colletti instead, 15 years ago. So yeah this is a long time coming.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Marlins finally found someone who'd take 70% of a GM's salary.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Yeah, Jeets!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Kim Ng was the person I wanted the Astros to hire at GM when they inexplicably went with Ed Wade instead

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Marlins/status/1327276960595243009

It's official. Cool!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Apparently her first time interviewing for a GM spot was 2005. Wow.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

poo poo this is pretty much a step down for her, as she was vice president of baseball operations for the league.

But good luck in righting that ship, Ng.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Aubrey Huff is trending on twitter right now because people are dunking on him over this and I am highly amused by it

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Even with Gausman returning, Giants still need to sign at least one SP. Our top pitching prospects are still like a year away, and like most minor leaguers they haven't played for a year so who even knows. Taking a look at the top FAs from MLBTR:

quote:

Bauer
Tanaka
Odorizzi
Quintana
Paxton
Taijuan Walker
Garrett Richards
Kluber
Charlie Morton
Wainwright
Mike Minor
JA Happ
Drew Smyly
Lester
Porcello
Hamels
DeSclefani

If this is really gonna be a slow offseason with teams cheaping out, seems like a smart GM could swoop in and sign a couple of these guys quickly. Maybe we could get Kluber and Smyly on 2-year deals or something? Throw in an option that vests if they dont get hurt?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

Aubrey Huff is trending on twitter right now because people are dunking on him over this and I am highly amused by it

Uh oh he said Voldemort's name

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

The best part is it's all pre-emptive dunking on him. He's too busy tweeting election denial stuff to even pay attention to the news of Ng's hiring.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

The Pussy Boss posted:

Even with Gausman returning, Giants still need to sign at least one SP. Our top pitching prospects are still like a year away, and like most minor leaguers they haven't played for a year so who even knows. Taking a look at the top FAs from MLBTR:

If this is really gonna be a slow offseason with teams cheaping out, seems like a smart GM could swoop in and sign a couple of these guys quickly. Maybe we could get Kluber and Smyly on 2-year deals or something? Throw in an option that vests if they dont get hurt?

my kingdom for a full season of my bad pitcher crush, Andrew Smyly

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I completely forgot about Drew Smyly after the Mariners traded a couple of minor leaguers for him, only to join the team, develop a "soggy arm" then ended up getting TJS and never ended up pitching for us.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
man...imagine how competent someone would have to be to break both of those glass ceilings at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
In other Kim-related news :v:

https://twitter.com/DanielKimW/status/1327301677800513537

Dude raked as a shortstop in the KBO. I wonder if he can translate that here.