Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Holy poo poo - it's like Bo-Katan was ripped straight out of the shows. It's loving INSANE seeing these characters in live action now. Like, never in a million years watching that poo poo would I think that those shows would be as beloved as they are but here we are. Clone Wars and Rebels is straight up some of the BEST Star Wars tales.

I legit yelped hearing Bo-Katan tell Din to go find loving Ahsoka Tano. Amazing. Simply.... amazing.

Also the puppet baby frog was hilarious - just some solid thing on strings - straight out of the 80s. :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Robot Style posted:

I'm assuming it's just coincidence, but it's interesting how each episode of this season mirrors something from the same numbered episode of season 1:

Episode 1 - Mando teams up with a character who looks like a more famous ESB bounty hunter, and the episode ends with a major character reveal.
Episode 2 - Episode opens with Mando getting ambushed by people who want to take the child. He does an egg-based sidequest, and his ship gets wrecked at some point.
Episode 3 - Mando does battle against Imperials and is saved by other mandalorians.

The ep 2 analogy doesn't really work. The space cops wanted Mando, not the child. Even 3 is pushing it too.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Robot Style posted:

I'm assuming it's just coincidence, but it's interesting how each episode of this season mirrors something from the same numbered episode of season 1:

Episode 1 - Mando teams up with a character who looks like a more famous ESB bounty hunter, and the episode ends with a major character reveal.
Episode 2 - Episode opens with Mando getting ambushed by people who want to take the child. He does an egg-based sidequest, and his ship gets wrecked at some point.
Episode 3 - Mando does battle against Imperials and is saved by other mandalorians.

It's like poetry.

Brad Pitt
Nov 7, 2009

:smugdog::smugdog::smugdog::regd09:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The ep 2 analogy doesn't really work. The space cops wanted Mando, not the child. Even 3 is pushing it too.

I think he is referring to the opening scene on Tatooine

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Is this the first time tea has been mentioned in Star Wars? Is tea now canon?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Maxwell Lord posted:

Is this the first time tea has been mentioned in Star Wars? Is tea now canon?

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Tea

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

There's something that always bugged me about Mandalorians popping their domes on and off in the Clone Wars and now it bothers me more in live action.

All practical stuff, like "well now you have to carry the dang thing around" and "what is actually holding it on your head?" and "if I hit you with a stick, is your helmet just going to spin around on your head and now you can't see?"

No wonder Jango's head flew right out. Not even a chin strap holding it on.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Dave Syndrome posted:

In the end I really liked the way it was resolved. Anyone who's ever had a rambunctious kid that doesn't know his or her own strength has probably at some point stood in awe at the same kid being suddenly (and almost instinctively) incredibly tender when stroking the head of a baby, or petting a kitten. The way Baby Yoda handled the tadpole gave me really strong vibes of that feeling, and it almost feels like he grew up a little at that moment.

It read to me like he still was thinking of it as food, but his attempts to get a solid grip on it were being misinterpreted as petting motions.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Sash! posted:

There's something that always bugged me about Mandalorians popping their domes on and off in the Clone Wars and now it bothers me more in live action.

All practical stuff, like "well now you have to carry the dang thing around" and "what is actually holding it on your head?" and "if I hit you with a stick, is your helmet just going to spin around on your head and now you can't see?"

No wonder Jango's head flew right out. Not even a chin strap holding it on.

When Bo-Katan took off her helmet towards the end of the episode, it made a noise similar to Vader's helmet being put on for the first time at the end of RotS, suggesting some sort of airtight seal.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

She had moved slightly in between being shot Calican and being discovered by whoever found her and her surviving isn't really any dumber than Darth Maul or Boba Fett surviving their original fates.

I mean the dumbest survival in all SW has to be Ahsoka surviving against Vader because of TIME TRAVELLLLLLL in Rebels.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

I legit yelped hearing Bo-Katan tell Din to go find loving Ahsoka Tano. Amazing. Simply.... amazing.

:same:

I know Ahsoka is gonna be on the show, but hearing Katee Sackhoff as Bo-Katan name drop her put a huge rear end grin on my face and legit gave me goosebumps.

[edit]

DurosKlav posted:

I mean the dumbest survival in all SW has to be Ahsoka surviving against Vader because of TIME TRAVELLLLLLL in Rebels.

This is wrong.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
After a second or two I remembered "Oh right they did say Ahsoka would be in this season" but in the moment it felt like a surprise.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Can't wait for the Bo-Katan and The Armorer fight over Din Jarin's Mando soul.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

teagone posted:

:same:

I know Ahsoka is gonna be on the show, but hearing Katee Sackhoff as Bo-Katan name drop her put a huge rear end grin on my face and legit gave me goosebumps.

[edit]

This is wrong.

Absolutely wrong. Plus SW: Rebels also had Thrawn defeated by magic space whales. And it worked because as capable as Thrawn was, only something as bizarrely unpredictable as magic space whales could have beaten him.

Also, I do not care if ridiculous bullshit is required to bring back Fenner Shand because Ming-Na Wen = Good.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My singular complaint is that I am very tired of Din just moonwalking into the most obvious ambushes in the universe. This episode was otherwise extrememly cool. As someone unfamiliar with Clone Wars and Mandalore stuff, getting to discover that Din is like a fundamentalist wackjob at roughly the same time that he did was very amusing. I am very curious as to what he was raised to think of Mandalorians who don't follow all the rules.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Bust Rodd posted:

My singular complaint is that I am very tired of Din just moonwalking into the most obvious ambushes in the universe. This episode was otherwise extrememly cool. As someone unfamiliar with Clone Wars and Mandalore stuff, getting to discover that Din is like a fundamentalist wackjob at roughly the same time that he did was very amusing. I am very curious as to what he was raised to think of Mandalorians who don't follow all the rules.

Obviously that there were no such beings. You followed The Way (including don't remove your helmet) or you weren't a Mandalorian.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

I am very curious as to what he was raised to think of Mandalorians who don't follow all the rules.

He just thinks they aren't Mandalorians lol.

[Edit]

Everyone posted:

Obviously that there were no such beings. You followed The Way (including don't remove your helmet) or you weren't a Mandalorian.

You just reminded me of Bo-Katan's sarcastic delivery of 'This is the way' to Din. I loved that.

teagone fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 13, 2020

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I just hope he doesn't start questioning his beliefs and start taking his helmet off

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

teagone posted:

You just reminded me of Bo-Katan's sarcastic delivery of 'This is the way' to Din. I loved that.

She's just so smug and gently caress you fundie it's great. Makes a good counterpoint for the end when she says it to Din more sincerely as she emphasizes that Mandos helping Mandos is The Way

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Captain Splendid posted:

I just hope he doesn't start questioning his beliefs and start taking his helmet off

Speak for yourself. :swoon:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

404notfound posted:

I feel like the port crane AT-AT was a nod to the (debunked) myth that Lucas was inspired by the cranes at the port of Oakland for the idea of AT-ATs. I love that they can throw in fun bits of trivia like that without rubbing it in your face; if you're not in the know, it just seems like another piece of Star Wars machinery.

I just liked the practicality of a walking crane like that, and I didn't see it as definitely a repurposed AT-AT. I just thought of it as a sensible way to use the technology that we already know is around in Star Wars. The crane was punching way above its weight and really put me into the world and came across as just one of those super neat Star Wars tech ideas that come along every now and then. It's the most I've fanboyed out for a piece of tech in this show since the Vibrobrade, and the Vibroblade had the advantage of me having read about them in a TON of EU(now Legends) books, so it landed especially well with me.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

We reuse army tech all the time in normal life. Construction vehicles for sure. Who hasn't seen a front end loader with a tank cannon?? Kidding but I thought the AT-AT was cool and definitely something that would happen here too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Darko posted:

I just laughed at Mando "No True Mandalorianing" someone who was actually THE Mandalore at one time.

Mandaloresplaining.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Did they lose everyone in the covert, other than the Armorer, or just, a whole bunch of them?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Glad this was kind of a middle finger to everybody who complained that the last episode didn’t have enough story progression

Gideon absolutely gonna find the piece of space junk from Mando’s ship lol

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Did they lose everyone in the covert, other than the Armorer, or just, a whole bunch of them?

Unclear. The Armorer said she hoped some got out but she doesn't know.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

teagone posted:

When Bo-Katan took off her helmet towards the end of the episode, it made a noise similar to Vader's helmet being put on for the first time at the end of RotS, suggesting some sort of airtight seal.

Which makes Din apparently almost drowning in the trap even funnier. It’s like his order are a bunch of pseudo-Luddites who don’t even think to put breathing equipment in their tin can helmets.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

404notfound posted:

I feel like the port crane AT-AT was a nod to the (debunked) myth that Lucas was inspired by the cranes at the port of Oakland for the idea of AT-ATs. I love that they can throw in fun bits of trivia like that without rubbing it in your face; if you're not in the know, it just seems like another piece of Star Wars machinery.

The crane walkers actually originated in Solo, and early designs seemed to be more obviously inspired by the Oakland than the AT-AT's seemed to be.

The ones that actually ended up in the movie had a less spindly design, and are totally different from the ones in The Mandalorian.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I've been really confused in general about the idea that Madalorian is belief system and not a race of people and those sort of cleared it up that Din is actually an Uber fundamentalist. The fact he doesn't believe that actual living breathing Mandalorians are ideologically pure is hilarious

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

SalTheBard posted:

I've been really confused in general about the idea that Madalorian is belief system and not a race of people and those sort of cleared it up that Din is actually an Uber fundamentalist. The fact he doesn't believe that actual living breathing Mandalorians are ideologically pure is hilarious

all he knows of mandalorians is what the sect taught him... though they really probably should have covered the other people out there laying claim to the title

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My volcel warrior-monk getting red-pilled in real time

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

all he knows of mandalorians is what the sect taught him... though they really probably should have covered the other people out there laying claim to the title

Why? It's completely congruent that the "Watchers" would raise orphaned children to believe that their Way is the only Way. Plus, the situation seems to be that they all thought that Mandalore was a dead planet and that they really were the only Mandalorians left.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I have just been so confused because in Clone Wars and Rebels you see Mandalorians putting their helmets on and taking them off all the time. So I have been very confused about this whole "don't take your helmet off ever" thing. The fact that it's (apparently) only a belief of his sect cleared a lot up.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
From what I have learned from various Star Wars shows, the Mon Calamari are supposed to be renowned shipbuilders. Which made the patch-job that one guy did on Mando's ship all the funnier to me because it was such absolute poo poo.

Like, why did he even need to drape the seats with fish nets? The seats were one of the few things that weren't damaged. No reason, just throw it in there with the rope and seaweed and whatever the hell.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, that was a huge revelation for this show. Trust in Filoni!!

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
I've gotta say -Given her history, taking the darksaber from Bo-Katan, and leaving her alive is a bold move. There's really nothing she can spend her life doing OTHER than getting that thing back.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Like, why did he even need to drape the seats with fish nets? The seats were one of the few things that weren't damaged. No reason, just throw it in there with the rope and seaweed and whatever the hell.

I really laughed out loud at that it was so funny picturing the mechanic getting in the cockpit being like “oh well here’s your problem you don’t have any loving nets anywhere! I bet you’re fish are just floppin’ all over the place!”

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

IBroughttheFunk posted:

From what I have learned from various Star Wars shows, the Mon Calamari are supposed to be renowned shipbuilders. Which made the patch-job that one guy did on Mando's ship all the funnier to me because it was such absolute poo poo.

Dude’s probably an actual good builders but the ship was in such terrible shape AND Din paid so little for “repairs” dude just went to town on it in the shittiest way possible.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
Godammit, talk about whiplash. On one hand this episode was flawless and may be my favorite so far. On the other hand it really drove home the point that they intend to let Feloni turn the show into a "I get to bring my goofy cartoon into the real world" vanity project. I never would have believed it, but I'm starting to think that they may be able to do that without the show becoming terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
If you've seen Mon Calamari ships, they look kind of like they're grown out of coral or something, so them being good at building ships their way in no way necessarily translates to them being good at fixing other kinds of ships.