Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
My favorite fun Amway fact is that they have one retail storefront and for some reason it is at Citifield, aka the home of the New York Mets.

Which, if you know anything about the Mets, and in particular, about their ownership, up until a week ago, is extremely funny if a bit too on the nose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Ok, fess up, which one of you is this?

mewse
May 2, 2006

I feel like Steve Burke has single-handedly pushed the industry towards full mesh front panels

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

mewse posted:

I feel like Steve Burke has single-handedly pushed the industry towards full mesh front panels

Pretty much. My feeling is that if the industry hadn't become so glass-obsessed that they made cases with all glass and no ventilation, which ended up far worse than even oldschool closed cases, he wouldn't have been driven to make a test suite that extensively documents the benefit of high airflow (mesh).

Between mesh cases and the junk that's built primarily as displays for LED geegaws, I'm on Steve's side. But reluctantly, because I still think there's a reason for a (well-engineered, functional) closed-front case.

edit: just to be clear I'm not against mesh-fronts at all, they're great and superior at what they do well. But if I was buying a new case for myself, I'd get a Define 7 -- the modern incarnation of my trusty P182.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 13, 2020

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I really like my Meshify: Very easy to vacuum the front dust filter while I'm at it. And it's quiet.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Klyith posted:

Pretty much. My feeling is that if the industry hadn't become so glass-obsessed that they made cases with all glass and no ventilation, which ended up far worse than even oldschool closed cases, he wouldn't have been driven to make a test suite that extensively documents the benefit of high airflow (mesh).

Between mesh cases and the junk that's built primarily as displays for LED geegaws, I'm on Steve's side. But reluctantly, because I still think there's a reason for a (well-engineered, functional) closed-front case.

I first ran into his crusade after I bought an NZXT S340 elite and his review kinda tore into it for only having adequate ventilation. I like that companies like phanteks are remaking their cases with perforated front panels though

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

mewse posted:

As his influence grows he is slowly transforming from Tech Jesus into Tech Buff Korean Jesus.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Klyith posted:

edit: just to be clear I'm not against mesh-fronts at all, they're great and superior at what they do well. But if I was buying a new case for myself, I'd get a Define 7 -- the modern incarnation of my trusty P182.

I rock a corsair 500D thats fully closed in the front and its got tons of airflow. Cooling is one of my main focuses and I found people on youtube with fully built systems saying the temps surprised them before I got it.

Steve was also the one who said an inch on each side on the front is fine after all.

The sides being open (the glass panels are spaced away a bit from the side) actually helps move air out of the case. It might be dumb luck on corsair’s part but I think it helps with the thermals.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I bought the be quiiet! 500DX and it's such a fantastic case in every way. Thank you, Steve Burke.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
This shows how out of touch I've been with PC building, I only recently learned that a lot of case windows nowadays are actually glass. I was assuming it was all still acrylic.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

spunkshui posted:

I rock a corsair 500D thats fully closed in the front and its got tons of airflow. Cooling is one of my main focuses and I found people on youtube with fully built systems saying the temps surprised them before I got it.

Steve was also the one who said an inch on each side on the front is fine after all.

You need 1 inch of clearance away from a panel for the fans to not be impeded by the panel itself, but that doesn't say anything about how restrictive or open the rest of the area the fans are drawing air through is. A case with fans 1" from the front panel that only has a hole the size of a postage stamp to draw air through wouldn't be very good.

A case like the 500D is not efficient with it's fans when compared to mesh ones, which is shown by GN's standardized tests. OTOH it can overcome that by adding more fans than the GN test, and it's totally functional because the difference between the leaders of the GN charts and the stuff in the middle is not really a big deal in real world conditions. It's a-ok and you shouldn't care that GN rates a lot of cases built on those lines poorly, especially if you like how it looks over the ones that are "better".

Personally something like the 500D is where I'm way more on Steve's side, because it is absolutely designed with some aspects primarily for looks and secondary for either cooling or noise. (Ex: side panel gaps may help cooling, but they're bad for noise.) But that's just me, I don't give a poo poo what my PC looks like. But I also think mesh cases are not always "the best" just because they're the top spots on the GN charts, because there are some things GN doesn't test. Primarily, minimum noise idle.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 14, 2020

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

This shows how out of touch I've been with PC building, I only recently learned that a lot of case windows nowadays are actually glass. I was assuming it was all still acrylic.

You'll still find acrylic on the really wonky curved-esque design cases like the Thermaltake View 37 which has a gullwing door or on some really super cheap cases but yeah it's glass town, baby

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

I'm so out of touch, I thought transparent cases died out in mid-late 2000s.

On the other hand I'm ahead of the curve on mesh fronts:

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 14, 2020

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I love my phanteks enthoo evolv with the glass sides it is great and stays very clean due to washable mesh dust screens!

Also the glass blocks the noise well.

Haters gon hate

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Actual photo of Canadian Dweeb Abraham Lincoln being shot by Canadian Dweeb John Wilkes Booth (not pictured)

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Purgatory Glory posted:

No problem. I already decided in my head that it's Primerica or Herbalife.

I figured it was probably "Global Affiliate Zone" - had a similar thing happen two years ago. Family friend posting endlessly on social media about his passive income, seemed very MLM-y, so when he made a "contact me" post I thought I'd reach out for kicks. He sent me his link and pestered me a bit afterwards about it... despite him being a family friend and me knowing him since I was an infant, there was literally zero "omg hi it's been so long how are you?" - it was just straight down to business. Essentially what GAZ does is show you how to run an "online business" and they basically fully set it up for you based upon a "product". they say oh, this will work for anything and you don't have to use this product, but everything is made as an example for this product. So you'd be stupid not to just use it for the product it was designed for.

That product? An alkaline water machine called Kangen. The price structure establish a 8-piece piece of pie, and up a given chain everyone gets a different amount of the pie. So in other words the machine is priced way more than it's worth, and it's intended to just pay off people up the commission chain. It's a self-feeding loop of course because to start selling the machine you have to buy a machine. And the more machines you sell, the more pieces of the pie you can get from those eventual sales. It's loving insane.

But no really, it's not a pyramid scheme, Global Affiliate Zone is all about teaching you how to set up your online business! :circlefap:

EDIT: To add that even today, years later, their newsfeed is filled with all kinds of ambiguous posts not about the business or product they sell, but rather why network marketing is so great and totally not a pyramid scheme. Anything that isn't that is decision- or life-affirming bullshit. Sell the lifestyle because the money comes from recruiting, not the product itself... but no really it's not a pyramid scheme guys

Guitarchitect fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Nov 15, 2020

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Guitarchitect posted:

I figured it was probably "Global Affiliate Zone" - had a similar thing happen two years ago. Family friend posting endlessly on social media about his passive income, seemed very MLM-y, so when he made a "contact me" post I thought I'd reach out for kicks. He sent me his link and pestered me a bit afterwards about it... despite him being a family friend and me knowing him since I was an infant, there was literally zero "omg hi it's been so long how are you?" - it was just straight down to business. Essentially what GAZ does is show you how to run an "online business" and they basically fully set it up for you based upon a "product". they say oh, this will work for anything and you don't have to use this product, but everything is made as an example for this product. So you'd be stupid not to just use it for the product it was designed for.

That product? An alkaline water machine called Kangen. The price structure establish a 8-piece piece of pie, and up a given chain everyone gets a different amount of the pie. So in other words the machine is priced way more than it's worth, and it's intended to just pay off people up the commission chain. It's a self-feeding loop of course because to start selling the machine you have to buy a machine. And the more machines you sell, the more pieces of the pie you can get from those eventual sales. It's loving insane.

But no really, it's not a pyramid scheme, Global Affiliate Zone is all about teaching you how to set up your online business! :circlefap:

EDIT: To add that even today, years later, their newsfeed is filled with all kinds of ambiguous posts not about the business or product they sell, but rather why network marketing is so great and totally not a pyramid scheme. Anything that isn't that is decision- or life-affirming bullshit. Sell the lifestyle because the money comes from recruiting, not the product itself... but no really it's not a pyramid scheme guys

Okay I guess a post about those stupid ads for affiliate marketing that run before the YouTube tech idiot I actually want to watch is on topic

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx-a5jZbNmE

Well, now, this is a really cool and interesting development! I'd love for them to do it in that full GN transparency. They've shown HOW factories work and now, if this happens, we can come along for the ride to see the journey of a single product through this labyrinth.

He doesn't reveal which company approached them but it sounds like it's either NZXT or Lian Li.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Steve's been on a real airflow kick. Its guaranteed to have at least a mesh front panel, and maybe a return of side panel fans

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Without trying I managed to pause the video in a perfect spot (somewhere around 6:19) to get an accidental Renaissance painting composition:

Tech Jesus asking for divine guidance from the community in his half-hour of doubt (2020; digital video on SD card)

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Getting that painted would make for a good charity stream.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Wirth1000 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx-a5jZbNmE

He doesn't reveal which company approached them but it sounds like it's either NZXT or Lian Li.

He said the relationship between GN and the mystery company is they had real bad interactions but also real good interactions.

I'm going with Cooler Master especially how GN influenced their redesign of the H500p being a benny for all sides.

mewse
May 2, 2006

There's a perfectly good kitty cat case behind Steve in that video.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

mewse posted:

There's a perfectly good kitty cat case behind Steve in that video.

He did a full video on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62oPBdI9CSA

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Arivia posted:

Okay I guess a post about those stupid ads for affiliate marketing that run before the YouTube tech idiot I actually want to watch is on topic

Back on-topic, i'm really curious as to who Linus is building that wonky pyramid PC for - he constantly trashes the person/client so it must be a friend of his or someone who gets a kick out of being humiliated?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Guitarchitect posted:

Back on-topic, i'm really curious as to who Linus is building that wonky pyramid PC for - he constantly trashes the person/client so it must be a friend of his or someone who gets a kick out of being humiliated?

I think its a joke and the client doesn't exist.

Kinda annoyed we dont get more fabrication and tech hijinks with linus anymore.

What happened to the man who did whole room watercooling?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

They're like redoing their whole warehouse space so they can't get at all the shoptools they've bought right now.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

spunkshui posted:

I think its a joke and the client doesn't exist.

Kinda annoyed we dont get more fabrication and tech hijinks with linus anymore.

What happened to the man who did whole room watercooling?

Those huge projects usually involve many people and it’s been pretty obvious that for the past 8 months or so the channel has been limiting the number of people working together to create videos for some reason. I’m sure that when whatever is causing it is resolved there will be a return to hijinks.

mewse
May 2, 2006

GutBomb posted:

Those huge projects usually involve many people and it’s been pretty obvious that for the past 8 months or so the channel has been limiting the number of people working together to create videos for some reason. I’m sure that when whatever is causing it is resolved there will be a return to hijinks.

:hmmyes:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Guitarchitect posted:

It's weird because if it were someone noteworthy it'd be a cross-promotion or at least mentioned. If it were PDP or Ninja or some other twitch/esport/gaming celebrity they'd be in the videos.

They've obviously got money to burn on the world's most distinctive and visible computer, but they're still incognito. How on earth do you get a one-off custom PC from LTT but not mention it anywhere online? Is some nobody going to post it on /r/battlestations and just be like "i have money" in the comments and go into no detail?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
The way they talk about the client is pretty "comical" and it'll probably turn out to be Riley or whatever and it's all just one big LTT in-house project.

More importantly someone needs to tell them it just looks like poo poo either way.

mewse
May 2, 2006

It’s 100% not Reilly

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

mewse posted:

It’s 100% not Reilly

As in a joke. Not.... not literally Riley. What??

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It's Reilly not that interesting.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Wirth1000 posted:

As in a joke. Not.... not literally Riley. What??

Sorry I thought you might be honestly suggesting the guy who lives in a minimalist torture chamber with his wife actually wants a 500lb illuminati sculpture

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

There are many ways to ask for a divorce.

E: serious answer it's probably Coulton.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Some Goon posted:

There are many ways to ask for a divorce.

E: serious answer it's probably Coulton.

There's a floatplane video up on Colton's Intel upgrade whatever. He has a desk that's bowed in the middle cause he didn't add the 5th supporting leg, has a monitor he has to "warm up" for 30 minutes to get working properly and has a TV in his gaming room that's like 10 years old. He's not exactly on the bleeding edge of tech.

I like the series. It let us know Anthony is a borderline furry and Riley is a psychopath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Romes128 posted:

There's a floatplane video up on Colton's Intel upgrade whatever. He has a desk that's bowed in the middle cause he didn't add the 5th supporting leg, has a monitor he has to "warm up" for 30 minutes to get working properly and has a TV in his gaming room that's like 10 years old. He's not exactly on the bleeding edge of tech.

I like the series. It let us know Anthony is a borderline furry and Riley is a psychopath.

“Borderline” is a very generous understatement.