Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

So is half price jamon in January really a thing or a goon joke.

Also if it’s real January is hereby renamed Jamonuary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78M9scktuqU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
The fewer people that buy full price jamón in December means the more people that buy half price jamón in Jamónuary.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Manuel Calavera posted:

gently caress, ok guess I need to go back and look for it. What's it called? I don't recall seeing anything like it. I just barely found the PB&Choco mix, because I forgot what I was looking for there, until I saw it and was like OH YEAH THIS.

Fannie May S'mores Snack Mix.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Now I'm hungry for nothing but ham.

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007
Not the Costco jamon, but most of the UK supermarkets get some form of jamon around the festive period.

2018, I watched as the prices dropped over the Xmas and New Year period. 2.5kg half leg (https://groceries.asda.com/product/chorizo-salami-hams/asda-extra-special-serrano-ham-leg/1000009332965), started around £30(~$40). By the time I picked one up at the start of February, it was reduced to £8(~$10).

The only downside being that it's use by date was mid-March. So to begin with it was all delicate slices, but that soon gave way to cubing it up like pancetta and adding it to other foodstuffs, and eventually just cutting thick slabs to fry off like a bacon chop.

By the end of it, I was a little sick of jamon. But I finished it. Saw the same sort of price drops in 2019, but didn't pull the trigger that time. Once was enough.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I didn't think about the cat factor. My cats have shown zero interest in human food, but with an entire ham sitting out that might change the equation.

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

I didn't think about the cat factor. My cats have shown zero interest in human food, but with an entire ham sitting out that might change the equation.

My cat had no interest in the jamon, and she usually hangs around and makes every attempt to get food that I'm prepping. My jamon came with a stand and a little bag to put it in, so that might've been deterrent enough.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah I'm not saying I won't get the ham. I just have to ensure I have a bagging method.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Costco Thread: Spanish Hamlove

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I have a dog and two cats, neither went for the jamón.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
2020 is the year of jamón. This year, as I sit among the presents and the cruft; I eat the meat.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Popoi posted:

Um Jamon Hammy

I appreciate this reference more than you will ever know.

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom
I got a Costco jamon as a Christmas present last year. After the novelty of cutting off thin slices wore off I ended up carving off the meat in big pieces and then slicing it thin with a deli slicer. It took all day but it freezes surprisingly well.

aqu fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Nov 14, 2020

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

aqu posted:

I got a Costco jamon as a Christmas present last year. After the novelty of cutting off thin like slices wore off I and ended up carving off the meat in big pieces and then slicing it thin with a deli slicer. It took all day but it freezes surprisingly well.

I wonder how much a butcher/deli would charge if I rolled up with a whole Jamon leg

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

seance snacks posted:

I wonder how much a butcher/deli would charge if I rolled up with a whole Jamon leg

They would charge the jamon tax

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

My uncle Benny cuts up jamon with the best of them. He can cut your Jamon nice and thin, little slices, so thin they melt in a pan with some olive oil. Tell him you know me, he’ll help you out.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Sittin’ on the porch in muh rockin’ chair a-whittlin’ my jamon.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Imagine a whole jamón shop.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

The Valencia Central Marketplace in Spain has all sorts of little shops inside. You toss a shopkeeper a euro and they'll give you a cup of whatever they have on offer: fresh fruit or jamon (with or without little cheese chunks) and a toothpick to eat it with. You can see some on the right-hand counter.

You can spend an hour in there just... smelling. My friend fell in love with the egg lady, and we ate fartons and drank horchata for 1 euro 50 (with refill) (this isn't true).

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Well I made it out under $200 friends. Had to pass on the Jamon since it's bigger than any counter space I had, but I called attention to it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Hate to interrupt the last 6 pages of ham-talk but cross posting from the hiking gear thread to say that the Garmin inreach is on sale for $100 off and a free month of service at Costco.

https://www.costco.com/garmin-inreach-mini-bundle.product.100686688.html

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Yo listen, I bought a super nice hoodie with fur lining for $20. PBUC.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I used to never get clothes there but they have some really good deals. I recently got a down coat for like $30 and I really like it. It's my new fall/early winter jacket. I'm wearing my Spyder sweater ("jacket") right now which was maybe $30-$40 and most of their stuff online is like $200+.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The clothes are good and inexpensive but beware turning into middle aged dad too soon, don’t buy everything you wear from Costco

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Beware eating the entire leg of a pig, lest you become the pig.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Also don't buy the Kirkland Signature jeans. They are precut to dad bod.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Meridian posted:

Beware eating the entire leg of a pig, lest you become the pig.

We should be so lucky.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Mostly I started getting a few clothes there just because I am not going to a clothing store for covid reasons. I bought basic pants and shorts this year. Hard to argue with $20 chinos I can wear to work. But I used to be staunchly against it, until I realized how cheap the clothes are and the easy return if they don't fit.

I do agree though, do not get the Kirkland dad jeans.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I've previously gotten Unionbay Tech Men's Travel Pants which are really great for hiking. Lightweight, synthetic so they dry super fast, and have a DWR (durable water resistant) coating which makes light rain or a drizzle just bead off. Also look good for business casual wear.

It took a few returns though to get the right size since you can't try on in the store and I ended up having to purchase online because they run larger than normal pants so had to order their smallest size of 30x30 online.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

poisonpill posted:

The clothes are good and inexpensive but beware turning into middle aged dad too soon, don’t buy everything you wear from Costco

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

poisonpill posted:

This is also true. I bought 2 pair of their jeans and I don't think I'll be getting more. I have a sweet rear end and they don't extenuate it.

edit: I don't think I'm using extenuate correctly. I thought it meant like show off or make stand out, but it means to lessen. :( Now I know.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I've previously gotten Unionbay Tech Men's Travel Pants which are really great for hiking.

Yeah their hiking pants are great.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 14, 2020

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
accentuate

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

We should be so lucky.

Pigs spend their whole lives not worrying about poo poo then get killed before they get old and decrepit. They got it figured out.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Whooping Crabs posted:

I found this in store at my costco and bought one for $159. It juusst barely fit it my car (hatchback). Now I can buy all the meats.

So I'm guessing it wouldn't fit in a normal compact like an Elantra.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Costcos here don’t have tall sizes so I rarely find stuff that fits, I bought a hoodie there once that I regret.

Great for kids stuff though!

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Quixzlizx posted:

So I'm guessing it wouldn't fit in a normal compact like an Elantra.

Probably not. I just measured the box and it's about 34"x34"x23"

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Whooping Crabs posted:

Probably not. I just measured the box and it's about 34"x34"x23"

Thanks for the info.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Treated my new truck to that Costco fuel and my old truck to that Kirkland Signature motor oil.

Also bought a little surface mound LED light, the kind you see in all new builds, for $10! It was on sale normally 15. It was a mini impulse buy and I put it up in my hallway which had a huge fixture on it for a 4x10 area. Much nicer now, no obstruction and it's a more even light too. I wish I had bought ten of these to add fixtures to every room.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Forgive me Costco thread for I have sinned.

For the first time ever, I found the jamon at my Costco. I didn't buy it. At the end of the day, I can't justify spending $100 on a piece of meat that nobody will eat but me, and adding that on top of an already full cart and $550 pull.

If I see it again 1/2 in Janurary though you bet your rear end I'm gonna snatch it right up.

e: not gonna lie either, I'm a little intimidated by it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

SirPablo posted:

Imagine a whole jamón shop.

I like my jamon so much, my old tinder profile pic was me standing in front of the Museo del Jamon in the Puerta del Sol.