Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
This entire page is pissing me off

E: lol perfect snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Bob Morales posted:

I've already had it.

:birdthunk:

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
A friend of mine in North Dakota was always posting snaps where she was in restaurants and bars, drinking, right next to people, nobody was wearing masks. I expressed concern and got a "You don't get it, it's totally different up here, everyone is really spread out and it's barely here at all."

Then the South Dakota biker gathering happened and I warned her again, all those people will be coming home. Dismissal.

Few weeks ago a Snap came in..."Now I don't want to hear 'I told you so..."

Last I heard from her she had pneumonia and was on antibiotics.

I hope she's still alive.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The other thing is it isn't just a live/die duality either.

20% of COVID survivors (even mild cases) have developed some sort of mental problem.

There's evidence of long term lung and cardiovascular damage that we aren't sure if people will ever recover from.

There are certain long haulers have have bouts of fatigue and brain fog that leaves them unable to function normally even 6 months later and we don't know if they are going to recover fully. Some have lost days of memories (not even recent ones), others can't trust themselves to drive a car anymore.

We still don't know what the effects 5-10 years from now will be. It's entirely possibly (and some say likely) that the cardiovascular damage done during infection will lead to a spike in heart attacks and strokes later down the line.

You aren't throwing a hundred sided die with live on 99 faces and death on one face. You are throwing a die with tons of other conditions littered across the faces. You don't want to catch this, it's not worth the risk and only a small part of that risk is dying.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 13, 2020

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Let's not forget to mention the massive amount of guilt you'll have to deal with if you somehow manage to survive the infection with no side effects but infected someone you know and they died/had complications. Unless one is a sociopath incapable of giving a poo poo about other people.

Be a good neighbor. :colbert:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

klosterdev posted:

A friend of mine in North Dakota was always posting snaps where she was in restaurants and bars, drinking, right next to people, nobody was wearing masks. I expressed concern and got a "You don't get it, it's totally different up here, everyone is really spread out and it's barely here at all."

Then the South Dakota biker gathering happened and I warned her again, all those people will be coming home. Dismissal.

Few weeks ago a Snap came in..."Now I don't want to hear 'I told you so..."

Last I heard from her she had pneumonia and was on antibiotics.

I hope she's still alive.

I might be a bad person, because I would now reply with a "I told you so" to everything she posted. Twice on every post about any lingering effect.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

I decided to be the bigger person. This is life-and-death and the entire midwest is melting down because what she was posting was pretty much happening everywhere across rural America while masks + social distancing being politicized in the name of liberty means there's still no top-down mandates happening even when their hospitals are being pushed far past capacity.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

bull3964 posted:

20% of COVID survivors (even mild cases) have developed some sort of mental problem.

I've already had it.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I already had those.

:yeah:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

bull3964 posted:

You aren't throwing a hundred sided die with live on 99 faces and death on one face. You are throwing a die with tons of other conditions littered across the faces. You don't want to catch this, it's not worth the risk and only a small part of that risk is dying.

Yeah, it's like rolling on the random encounter table in D&D, only it's chronic mental, cardiovascular, and respiratory ailments instead of goblin and rust monsters.

Assorted Gubbins
Oct 28, 2017

klosterdev posted:

I decided to be the bigger person. This is life-and-death and the entire midwest is melting down because what she was posting was pretty much happening everywhere across rural America while masks + social distancing being politicized in the name of liberty means there's still no top-down mandates happening even when their hospitals are being pushed far past capacity.

But, like...why do you need a top down mandate?

Basically, if you need a top down mandate before you'll put on a mask, then you're a loving idiot moron who can't read and comprehend what's going on in the world. The fact is every one of these idiots who didn't start wearing a mask back in March is literally too stupid to live. I feel like it's become "edgy" to be OK with natural selection taking its course, but I look at it more like the old "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink" - we've known about this virus for almost a year, we've known how it's transmitted for 8 months, and we've known since then that wide use of masks drastically lowers the chances of spreading it to others. At this point are we really supposed to kowtow to anyone who doesn't wear a mask and try to politely convince them it's a good thing instead of dismissing them and their inevitable contraction of the virus as their just desserts? (Yes obviously the bad thing is their spreading it to others so I'm not saying leave them alone to not wear a mask, I'm saying at this point, November 2020, people like this should be treated as gigantic morons, because they are).

We look back at people in the 1700s and laugh about how they believed "humors" were the cause of ailments, because they weren't enlightened and didn't know the science. But frankly, those people were trying to explain as best they could things they really didn't understand, and while we can laugh at them from our perspective, we can't really know what life was like then and whether we would have come up with the same explanations, in the same way that probably in 500 years people will laugh at our scientists and their "dumbass string theory" to explain what will be perfectly obvious quantum mechanics in the year 2520. But it's WORSE, a million times worse, to know the loving science and ignore it, because you're spitting in the face of all those who died from diseases that they couldn't prevent at the time but we now can. (The same applies to antivaxxers). Just imagine "oh yeah I don't feel like wearing a mask" translated to the black plague - imagine telling the millions of people who died from the black plague "oh yeah, we know now it's transmitted by rats, but actually we're not gonna prevent the rats from coming into our homes because it INFRINGES ARE LIBERTIES".

Woops yes I'll have the roast chicken with a side of fries thanks

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Because, for the millionth loving time, choosing exercising your sacred American right to spit in the face of logic and not wear a mask does not mean "only you catch COVID and die for your hubris". You can still spread it to other people, people who may even be taking the proper precautions but as we know, no PPE is perfect so all possible vectors have to be guarded against!

You can't wipe out the virus while it's still crashing on the couches of everyone who chose ARE FREEDUMS over masks, either.

I know you touched on this in the middle of your post but it needs to be front and centre, not "we let them die off and also oh yeah maybe it's not good".

Weatherman fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 13, 2020

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

More poo poo that pisses me off: My boss said I'm not clean enough

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

*Deep breath* (but in a room by myself)

I don't know why this is something that still has to be said at this point, but masks are more effective at keeping a person from spewing forth viral particles than they are at keeping someone else from inhaling them.

So, the entire basis of your rant is faulty. That's why they need to be mandated. People aren't accepting the risk for themselves, they are increasing the risk for other people.

Everyone wearing a mask at all times in public would stop this thing dead in its tracks (or rather, would have about 4 months ago, not so sure anymore.) But it takes EVERYONE. One infected jackass in an enclosed space that refuses to wear a mask can certainly breach the defenses of other people using masks. However, if that person, no longer a jackass, wore a mask too, the reduction of expelled particles lowers the threshold to the point that very few make it through another's defenses.

This isn't a binary block/unblock. It's about reducing exposed viral load to the point where there isn't enough there for an infection to take hold.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

More poo poo that pisses me off: My boss said I'm not clean enough

Now this is a story I want to hear.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Assorted Gubbins posted:

But, like...why do you need a top down mandate?

Like it or not, human beings are tremendously selfish, especially in such an individualist culture. The problem is that the people elected by those people are individualist cowards who would choose their short-term political interests over saving tens of thousands of lives using the "dying for our freedom" romanticization that were baked into us all as kids.

Trump poured gasoline on this fire for sure, but this is very much a cultural problem where the leaders are acting just like their constituents to do their friends and family. Enforcement needs to happen, and it probably won't, and people will die for those freedoms whether they wanted to take part in that freedom or not. Most of the people who will die by their decisions they'll probably never even know their names. They were just in the same restaurant.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

klosterdev posted:

Most of the people who will die by their decisions they'll probably never even know their names. They were just working in the restaurant.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

It's really not. "If you're in the office, you wear a mask" is a very straight-forward ask and something that is easy to enforce.

What do you mean by "seeing close family or otherwise?" What does that have to do with it?

No one wants to enforce it.

No one wants to do this with customers either in retail (as an example, I'm not in retail), especially when those customers who are throwing a hissy fit are not cops and can't just like, paddywhack these idiots without being sued for assault or whatever.

So far my government location says you have to wear a mask if you're out and about but wont force you to wear it at your desk.

As for close family, anecdotally no one I know wears their masks while seeing their parents or whatever.

to be clear, I wear my mask whenever possible outside of my own home and believe in masks.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 13, 2020

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

xzzy posted:

Today I learned that despite the infection rate spiraling out of control, there are still people out there not taking this seriously and wearing masks.

Jesus tiddy loving christ, how many people have to die and how many hospitals have to be over 100% capacity before people realize this poo poo is real?

None, because that would require a non-zero level of human empathy.

Assorted Gubbins
Oct 28, 2017
Sorry I think my question was taken too literally. Asking "why do you need a top down mandate" should have really been "why the gently caress do we still have people who are too stupid to NEED a mandate". I absolutely WANT a mandate and it should have been in place federally March 1 or earlier. But the fact that we still have so many morons who wouldn't wear a mask without a mandate (and let's be honest, will still try to not wear one even with a mandate in place) is just soul-crushing, in that for all of humanity's advancements we are still, as a group, filled with such stupidity. I often think the Framers had the right idea in limiting the vote, just the wrong criteria (instead of "rich white male landowners", should have been "capable of basic logical reasoning"), but there's no good truly objective way of determining logical reasoning capability and if there were humans would quickly somehow twist it to only qualify those they deem "acceptable" for their own reasons, so that can never happen.

And I did mention that the entire purpose of masks is to prevent transmission to others, and that we shouldn't just leave people to not wear a mask. Unless we shove them all into North Dakota and BUILD! THE! WALL! around North Dakota to let them spread the virus to each other to their hearts content. A man can dream.

Anyway we should probably end this derail, poo poo pissing me off today is our VOIP provider (VOIP.MS) selling us a block of DIDs of which one (ending in 1111, i.e. a popular one) appears to actually belong to someone else and redirects to recorded spam ("please listen to the following offers"). We're currently checking with them, but if so, this would be the second loving time they've done this (sold us a number which they actually didn't own), which makes us look amazingly unprofessional to our clients and is making me very angry at my boss, who insisted we move to them from Flowroute because they were cheaper. As usual, you get what you pay for.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

GreenBuckanneer posted:

No one wants to enforce it.

No one wants to do this with customers either in retail (as an example, I'm not in retail), especially when those customers who are throwing a hissy fit are not cops and can't just like, paddywhack these idiots without being sued for assault or whatever.
Costco just announced that even if you claim a "medical exemption" you still has to wear a face shield to enter. My local Goodwill updated their policy by saying "If you can't wear a mask due to a medical issue, then you must shop online" (that isn't much of a paraphrase either).

Even as more States are writing laws to protect employers from getting sued by their employee's, I'm starting to see more and more store's are actually cracking down on it. It should of happened 6+ months ago, but at least something is happening.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Koskun posted:

Costco just announced that even if you claim a "medical exemption" you still has to wear a face shield to enter.

This is an example of a bad policy though because face shields are COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY ineffective at limiting a person's ability to spread and putting that exemption in there is going to have people who would have otherwise worn a mask don a face shield instead because they like it better.

Face shields really only keep larger (non-aerosol) particles from spraying into your eyes. Otherwise, they are not a good mitigation effort on their own.

If your medical issue is so bad that you can't breath through two layers of cotton, you shouldn't be out in public in the middle of a pandemic.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

This derail makes me even more thankful I live in a country with compassionate and competent leadership . At least on this particular issue.

Varkk fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Nov 14, 2020

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I was meeting with a contractor this week to repair some rotted steps in my rental property and when she pulled up she did the half-assed-put-the-mask-on thing while waiting for me to say "Oh no, it's okay. You don't have to mask up." When in actuality I said, "Thanks for putting your mask on."

She said, "I might pass out because I have a medical exemption to wear this thing because I am a 'mouth breather'." "This thing" being a disposable gossamer-thin paper mask. And right there I knew there was no way I was giving this person my business.

You poor, fragile dear. After "two decades in the construction business", to be laid low by a paper/cloth mask.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Nov 14, 2020

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The "mouth breather" joke writes itself but I feel like it has ableist roots?

I breathe through my mouth a lot more when wearing a mask, I think everyone does, but if you don't have the cardiovascular capacity to breathe with a mask on you don't have the cardiovascular capacity to do even light construction.

Also my lungs are kind of hosed from vaping for a few years, I'm trying to quit but it loving suuuckks and I've relapsed like three times now. The patches don't take care of acute cravings and you have to use the gum for like half an hour where you can't eat or drink anything else.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
How do all those doctors and nurses manage to live when they spend much of their day masked up under normal circumstances? It is a medical mystery we may never solve.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The "mouth breather" joke writes itself but I feel like it has ableist roots?

I breathe through my mouth a lot more when wearing a mask, I think everyone does, but if you don't have the cardiovascular capacity to breathe with a mask on you don't have the cardiovascular capacity to do even light construction.

Also my lungs are kind of hosed from vaping for a few years, I'm trying to quit but it loving suuuckks and I've relapsed like three times now. The patches don't take care of acute cravings and you have to use the gum for like half an hour where you can't eat or drink anything else.
Chantix, yo. It's probably free through your insurance (because your insurance wants you to stop smoking).

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Thanatosian posted:

Chantix, yo. It's probably free through your insurance (because your insurance wants you to stop smoking).

Even the gum works and you can use HSA funds to purchase (if you have that). That's what I used. But even to this day, I find myself reaching for the gum when super stressed out.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Weatherman posted:

How do all those doctors and nurses manage to live when they spend much of their day masked up under normal circumstances? It is a medical mystery we may never solve.

They also wear rubber gloves all day so throw on a pair of those

I wear a mask at the grocery store or whenever in public. I wear one outside of my office. I wear one coming in and out of the building.

I just don’t want to wear one at my loving desk.

If you think you’re going to infect someone a football field away 70 days after having the virus you’re nuts.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Bob Morales posted:

I wear a mask at the grocery store or whenever in public. I wear one outside of my office. I wear one coming in and out of the building.

If you think you’re going to infect someone a football field away 70 days after having the virus you’re nuts.

Can you not start this poo poo again? Wear the loving mask.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The real problem is you poor fuckers are still working in an office rather than transitioning to WFH ASAP :ohdear:.

Bob Morales posted:

You are working in a closed air-cycling system in your office, and anyone on your floor is hosed if you are shedding virus. You're also exhaling over your hands at your desk, and anything on it, so you're potentially infecting anyone unfortunate enough to touch the same door handle after you.

Koskun posted:

Costco just announced that even if you claim a "medical exemption" you still has to wear a face shield to enter. My local Goodwill updated their policy by saying "If you can't wear a mask due to a medical issue, then you must shop online" (that isn't much of a paraphrase either).

Even as more States are writing laws to protect employers from getting sued by their employee's, I'm starting to see more and more store's are actually cracking down on it. It should of happened 6+ months ago, but at least something is happening.

Face shields are worthless, we ended up banning them as acceptable face masks in Melbourne during our lockdown.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Going to super be fun next year explaining to people that yes, even though you had your vaccine doses that you need to continue to mask up and socal distance until CASE COUNTS indicate relaxation of the restrictions.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
The company that I work for is usually working from home, but the office is there for the few people that may need it. They have this entire protocol for checking in, checking out, wearing a mask while walking around the office, stay in distanced cubicles, etc. But, at least for now, the guidelines say that while at your desk, you don't have to wear a mask. I wonder if the new discoveries and number of cases (which are skyrocketing in Canada too) will make them alter the guidelines and mandate a mask while working at your desk. I have no intention of going in the office if I can help it.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Face shields are worthless, we ended up banning them as acceptable face masks in Melbourne during our lockdown.
Not arguing that. More that at least they are trying something. I'd almost be willing to bet that they are hoping the anti-mask idiots will "boycott" and not cause too much of a stir, maybe.

With how bad infections are in the US I suspect we are not too far out from a lockdown again (good), and that stores will (hopefully) fully crack down on the policy of "No Mask, No Admittance".

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

The fact that you came back here after I probed you and then said this is amazing to me. A few weeks ago you were pissed because you weren't supposed to be carrying a knife around your mental hospital facility and got in trouble for it. Then you come and say you've been warned not once, but twice, about wearing a mask at work. And "a football field away" is very different than "5 of us in IT stuffed in a room" that many of us likely rememeber from not that long ago. Pair that with your fantastic avatar and red text, and I am starting to think maybe it would be a good idea to do some self-reflection about how your actions affect others. I will say that from my perspective, your posts come off as you being a lovely chud. If that's not the way you want people to think of you, again, maybe some introspection would be worthwhile.

I don't really have a problem with threads going on a bit of a derail, especially for topics like COVID or labor rights, which affect us all, but maybe it would be good if we can move on and get back to complaining about lovely bosses or whatever.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Either you don't understand how recirculated air works, or you don't know-how immune systems work, or you don't give a poo poo and are a chud. I hope you are just ignorant and being willfully chuddy, but it sure as hell is looking like the latter.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Internet Explorer posted:

The fact that you came back here after I probed you and then said this is amazing to me. A few weeks ago you were pissed because you weren't supposed to be carrying a knife around your mental hospital facility and got in trouble for it. Then you come and say you've been warned not once, but twice, about wearing a mask at work. And "a football field away" is very different than "5 of us in IT stuffed in a room" that many of us likely rememeber from not that long ago. Pair that with your fantastic avatar and red text, and I am starting to think maybe it would be a good idea to do some self-reflection about how your actions affect others. I will say that from my perspective, your posts come off as you being a lovely chud. If that's not the way you want people to think of you, again, maybe some introspection would be worthwhile.

I don't really have a problem with threads going on a bit of a derail, especially for topics like COVID or labor rights, which affect us all, but maybe it would be good if we can move on and get back to complaining about lovely bosses or whatever.

gently caress, I didn't even realize this was knife guy.

Sigh.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
This is why I laud my company for immediately going to 100% WFH and literally locking down the building so that only approved persons (i.e., someone who has to cut actual paper checks) are even allowed in the office.

Our company recently announced that it was being acquired which is a stressful bit of news in this hosed up world, especially since it was given one day after election day, though I think the timing on that was purely coincidental. The very first question out of my mouth, before anyone else asked anything was "What is [acquiring company's] stance on 100% WFH, since literally our entire company went WFH and didn't miss a beat." Thankfully it seems they have sane policies on it and it (hopefully) looks like that won't change.

Wear your loving mask, Bob.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ConfusedUs posted:

gently caress, I didn't even realize this was knife guy.

Sigh.

Leatherman in my pocket while I have a tool cart. Not knife guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

And an honest question to any of you, do you have to wear a mask the entire time at your job? Because if you don’t, it’s easy to sit on a high horse and tell people what to do.

I’ll drop this but some of you need to relax.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)