Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

wesleywillis posted:

Finally got around to ordering the Milwaukee nut fucker 5000. 300 bucks plus gub'mint extortion fee. I'm most definitely looking forward to using it for some nut loving. Last time I had my car in to get a wheel bearing replaced I neglected to specify to the service advisor to have the tech use a torque wrench on the lug nuts. I expect to have no troubles.

I routinely zip off fasteners torqued to 5 or 600 NM like it ain’t no thing. You’re gonna love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Who makes Good extension cords?

I'm going to be looking for a good 230v cord and a good 120v cord to be able to move my welder around more. The site that I'm ordering the welder from recommends Southwire, which looks pretty gnarly, but I know nothing about such things.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Idk about 110/120 I just use whatever but for 230 especially high amps like a welder buy a really good cord from a trusted company, it's a fat amount of power and you need big conductors to handle it. Well insulated in a durable sheath as well, especially around hot welding poo poo. This is like burn your house down if it shorts power imo.

The one on the welder at work is easily as thick as my wrist and I'm sure it wasn't cheap. It looks like a house special but we deal with high voltage high amp poo poo all the time so I'd trust it but if I was buying for my own house or shop I'd go big. Maybe try a local welding or gas supplier and see what they have?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Krakkles posted:

Who makes Good extension cords?

I'm going to be looking for a good 230v cord and a good 120v cord to be able to move my welder around more. The site that I'm ordering the welder from recommends Southwire, which looks pretty gnarly, but I know nothing about such things.

Southwire makes good stuff.

You can also buy bulk good quality SJOOW at an electrical supply place and put your own ends on it.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Idk about 110/120 I just use whatever but for 230 especially high amps like a welder buy a really good cord from a trusted company, it's a fat amount of power and you need big conductors to handle it. Well insulated in a durable sheath as well, especially around hot welding poo poo. This is like burn your house down if it shorts power imo.

The one on the welder at work is easily as thick as my wrist and I'm sure it wasn't cheap. It looks like a house special but we deal with high voltage high amp poo poo all the time so I'd trust it but if I was buying for my own house or shop I'd go big. Maybe try a local welding or gas supplier and see what they have?
Bold is exactly what I'm worried about, yeah. I have "normal" 110/120 cords, but I'm thinking a dedicated high-quality item for the welder will be necessary (it's dual-voltage, and I'll probably be doing a lot of initial practice on 110/120).

Hitting a local shop isn't an option (what with the overloaded hospital systems and what, 10 million total cases?), but welding shops online are. Thank you!

Motronic posted:

Southwire makes good stuff.

You can also buy bulk good quality SJOOW at an electrical supply place and put your own ends on it.
perfect, thank you!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Krakkles posted:

Bold is exactly what I'm worried about, yeah. I have "normal" 110/120 cords, but I'm thinking a dedicated high-quality item for the welder will be necessary (it's dual-voltage, and I'll probably be doing a lot of initial practice on 110/120).

I mean, this isn't really as big of a deal as you might think. Just don'tbe real dumb with where you have your cords.

But it's also one of the reasons I said SJOOW. It's all kinds of water/oil/etc resistant and generally will just last a long time in that kind of service. It's also expensive, but to be fair anything with an appropriate current carrying capacity is going to be be. It's just a lot of copper.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
You can look for a nomex/kevlar cable cover, I use one that covers my torch and coolant cords to keep from melting them on accident. Don't know if them make them big but I imagine they do.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Motronic posted:

DING DING DING. Buy high quality cord ends, high quality copper cord, and be done with it. Zoro and other industrial suppliers will sell bulk SJOOW cord. 10/4 is probably going to be sufficient (and 12/4 might do). Just don't be surprised at the cost. Cheaper cords use SJTOW or even worse, SJTW which has thermoplastic jacket and PVC insulator, and that's what sucks. Neoprene jackets last a lot longer and can handle oil/grease better, and the EPDM insulation does as well.
https://www.awcwire.com/faq-portable-cord

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 12, 2020

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Motronic posted:

I mean, this isn't really as big of a deal as you might think. Just don't be real dumb with where you have your cords.

But it's also one of the reasons I said SJOOW. It's all kinds of water/oil/etc resistant and generally will just last a long time in that kind of service. It's also expensive, but to be fair anything with an appropriate current carrying capacity is going to be be. It's just a lot of copper.

sharkytm posted:

DING DING DING. Buy high quality cord ends, high quality copper cord, and be done with it. Zoro and other industrial suppliers will sell bulk SJOOW cord. 10/4 is probably going to be sufficient (and 12/4 might do). Just don't be surprised at the cost. Cheaper cords use SJTOW or even worse, SJTW which has thermoplastic jacket and PVC insulator, and that's what sucks. Neoprene jackets last a lot longer and can handle oil/grease better, and the EPDM insulation does as well.
https://www.awcwire.com/faq-portable-cord
Thanks, guys, that looks like the way to go. I'm good with spending more to have quality/safer equipment.

(I say that, but I'm about to go look...)

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Motronic posted:

I mean, this isn't really as big of a deal as you might think. Just don'tbe real dumb with where you have your cords.

The usual suspects sell #10 SJOOW by thre foot.

All my welding cords are hand made from it.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
:siren::siren: AI: Secret Santa Registration Closes Soon! :siren::siren:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3946227

Please come sign up. We currently have 30 signups out of the 50 I am aiming.

Please see below for a VERY generous offer from McTinkerson

McTinkerson posted:

Any Canadians that have yet to sign up will get a 4 pack of locally brewed tall boys delivered to their door. [No IPA's because gently caress that.] Any American that signs up who hasn't yet and has at one point owned something powered by Doritos will get a 1.5L bottle of La Fin Du Monde.

Edit: Subject to availability of the special 1.5L bottles. They are usually available for xmas.

I'm still offering participation prizes for Kiwis & Aussies!

Don't miss out

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3946227

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
For big extension cords I agree with the other guys. SOOW for 3 phase over 300V, SJOOW for 208 3 phase or 240 single phase. It's crazy tough stuff chemically, I've had some of mine sitting in the sun outside for 8 years straight and it's still not cracked or dried up, and exposed it to all kinds of chemicals. I standardized on NEMA 1430 twistlok plugs and receptacles early on since I hate cords pulling out of outlets but you can use 4-wire dryer/range type connectors instead if you are less picky. That way you aren't spending 20 bucks each on plugs and receptacles.

Assuming you aren't going a long distance, #10 is fine for 30 amps, #12 for 20 amps, #8 for 40, #6 for 50. Those are of course ballpark figures, you can push it a little further if it's an intermittent load or don't mind some voltage drop, or step up in size if you expect constant heavy loads and need every volt, like if you wanted to run a welder in the driveway on max current for hours at a time.

Home depot has both SOOW and SJOOW on the wire rack near me if you can find an employee to actually measure it out and label it for you.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

It's crazy tough stuff chemically, I've had some of mine sitting in the sun outside for 8 years straight and it's still not cracked or dried up, and exposed it to all kinds of chemicals.

That's why it's carnie cable. You go to a carnival and walk over those big bunches of cable coming from the gen trailer and going to the rides? That's what it is. And they've been using the same poo poo forever.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

kastein posted:

For big extension cords I agree with the other guys. SOOW for 3 phase over 300V, SJOOW for 208 3 phase or 240 single phase. It's crazy tough stuff chemically, I've had some of mine sitting in the sun outside for 8 years straight and it's still not cracked or dried up, and exposed it to all kinds of chemicals. I standardized on NEMA 1430 twistlok plugs and receptacles early on since I hate cords pulling out of outlets but you can use 4-wire dryer/range type connectors instead if you are less picky. That way you aren't spending 20 bucks each on plugs and receptacles.

:hfive:

I use the same thing, the strain reliefs are the perfect size for SJOOW, and it's so nice not worrying about accidentally unplugging poo poo, every corded hand tool should have twist-lock receptacles on it.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

This may have been a better question for the general chat thread but I think it could (kind of) work in tools too. I'm trying to improve my home gym since it looks like I won't be working out at my old gym for the foreseeable future, and I just got this cable/pulley system that looks like this:

The only problem is the included cables are too long, so what I'd really like is a steel cable (ensheathed in rubber ideally) that's 52" long and has eyelets on the ends. It needs to support ~250lbs, I don't think the steel cable will be the issue as much as the crimp for the eyelets. I did come across this cable on amazon which has pretty strong statements on the weight it can handle:

but I'm wondering what I need to crimp on the eyelets. I did buy a cheap Titan 11477 recently to crimp bullet connectors for my bike (which worked out well), but this seems like a much different situation.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
1/16" seems really thin. What is the diameter of what you have now? It's hard to tell from the pic, but it looks closer to 1/4".

Also, if it breaks at 368lb, I would want a lot more safety factor if you're expecting it to hold 250lb. When you yank on it, it's going to experience momentary loads higher than the static weight.

If the cables are too long, and you're OK with crimping new cables together, why not use the cables you already have? If you measure the cable size, you can buy eyelets for whatever size it is. Cut it to length and re-crimp it.

You're right that a normal hand-powered electrical crimper is going to be inadequate for steel cable. Electrical contacts are copper, which is much softer, and even then can be difficult without more leverage. Maybe a hydraulic crimper or hammer/anvil crimper would be more appropriate for steel, but I have no idea what is done in industry.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I use my harbor freight hydraulic crimper for that stuff. The dies aren't really sized for it but if you choose one that looks about right it usually works well. Aluminum crimp ferrules should crimp alright on steel cable with one, I have had success even with smaller sizes of steel ferrule.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Wire rope clips are strong and easy, 80% of rope strength with the right clips. Not sure about coated cable though.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

MomJeans420 posted:

This may have been a better question for the general chat thread but I think it could (kind of) work in tools too. I'm trying to improve my home gym since it looks like I won't be working out at my old gym for the foreseeable future, and I just got this cable/pulley system that looks like this:

The only problem is the included cables are too long, so what I'd really like is a steel cable (ensheathed in rubber ideally) that's 52" long and has eyelets on the ends. It needs to support ~250lbs, I don't think the steel cable will be the issue as much as the crimp for the eyelets. I did come across this cable on amazon which has pretty strong statements on the weight it can handle:

but I'm wondering what I need to crimp on the eyelets. I did buy a cheap Titan 11477 recently to crimp bullet connectors for my bike (which worked out well), but this seems like a much different situation.

I'd shorten the provided cables with some of those two-bolt cable clamps available at the big boxes that I can't find the search term for.

I emphasize on the lack of Gym availability right now, btw.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Look at this tough guy lifting 1.5 trumps.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Elviscat posted:

I'd shorten the provided cables with some of those two-bolt cable clamps available at the big boxes that I can't find the search term for.

I emphasize on the lack of Gym availability right now, btw.

Wire rope clips, from the post above you. Just remember, never saddle a dead horse. The saddle goes on the live end of the cable.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

StormDrain posted:

Wire rope clips, from the post above you. Just remember, never saddle a dead horse. The saddle goes on the live end of the cable.

Bingo. Either Nicopress, clips, or be-a-real-macho-man and splice the wire manually. And you definitely want bigger wire than 1/16. I'd say 3/16 or 1/4 minimum.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Nthing just shortening the cables you already have, and using a couple of these for the loop.

You can also add a thimble to help reduce chafe on the cable loop if you think you’ll need it.

Edit: measure the cable w/o plastic cover and get a clamp that fits it, I just got the above as a generic ‘this type of thing’, get one that’s the right size. It’s probably 1/4”.

Big Taint fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 13, 2020

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Thanks for all the recommendations, I'll just shorten the existing cable because I can keep one long one if needed, they're both too long. Those Nicopresses look nice, but I'd rather not buy fairly expensive crimping tools if I can help it. The wire rope clips look much more reasonable.

I definitely need to measure the cable because I have no idea what thickness it is, but you guys are right it's probably not 1/16.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
I try not to post a bunch of deals to this thread just because I like tools but this...

wesleywillis posted:

Finally got around to ordering the Milwaukee nut fucker 5000. 300 bucks plus gub'mint extortion fee. I'm most definitely looking forward to using it for some nut loving. Last time I had my car in to get a wheel bearing replaced I neglected to specify to the service advisor to have the tech use a torque wrench on the lug nuts. I expect to have no troubles.

reminded me of how just I laughed the first time I used mine because it was so great. I have the dewalt version which is currently on just a ridiculous deal if you're willing to deal with detent pin instead of hog ring. https://toolguyd.com/dewalt-brushless-impact-wrench-kit-dcf899m1-deal-112020/ $200 for tool + 4ah battery, charger and bag.

e: looks like the milwaukee version is now $250 with a 5ah battery. https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200786986_200786986

builds character fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 13, 2020

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I will never shut up about when I used the Milwaukee for 1/2“ bolts holding the rear bumper on and it just broke 3 out of 4 of them immediately.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

Words cannot describe how happy and excited I am to finally have this:

Husky 46 inch and I love it.

A total impulse purchase. We only went into HD for bead board but this was 28% off and I have had my eyes on it for a while.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

StormDrain posted:

I will never shut up about when I used the Milwaukee for 1/2“ bolts holding the rear bumper on and it just broke 3 out of 4 of them immediately.

Krakkles posted:

I still remember the day I figured this out. Every friggin' bolt on my jeep had been giving us trouble and I didn't check the direction of the impact before attempting to loosen a bolt. There was a brief moment where I thought I'd hosed up, then I realized that McMaster-Carr exists and I'd actually just realized how to save a lot of time. A smile - nay, a smirk - crossed my face, and ...

BRAP
BRAPBRAPBRAP
BRAPBRAPBRAPBRAP
This was in response to a kastein post about the same, but ... yeah, gently caress it, they're rusty anyway, I just need [that part] off, it's often faster to break them than it is to try to fight them (and probably break them anyway).

nadmonk posted:

A total impulse purchase. We only went into HD for bead board but this was 28% off and I have had my eyes on it for a while.
Jealous. I've been ordering stuff (shelves and a welder cart so far, but more to come) to organize my garage and make it useful, and while something that big probably isn't in the cards in the immediate future, organizing poo poo is really fun.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

nadmonk posted:

Nice! I've got a Husky box and I really like it. I grabbed the sixty-something inch with the wood top and pegboard because I needed a work surface. If I was going for pure storage I'd pick up something like that one. I think you'll enjoy it.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Nice! I've got a Husky box and I really like it. I grabbed the sixty-something inch with the wood top and pegboard because I needed a work surface. If I was going for pure storage I'd pick up something like that one. I think you'll enjoy it.

I do really like that wood top one they have.
Thankfully, I'm pretty well set for work surfaces. But right now all of my tools are spread to the four corners of the world. Now I embark on the question of tool chest organizers.
This one was $200 off and the same price the 36" originally was (which is now $100 off).

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Krakkles posted:

, and while something that big probably isn't in the cards in the immediate future, organizing poo poo is really fun.

Like totes bro! I remember years ago when I got my tall chest and roller cabinet for underneath and I had all my wrenches and screwdrivers and sockets and a gang of other poo poo laying around and then it came time to organize it all. I was so excited to decide where all that poo poo went and then putting it in the right spot, then being all 'gently caress that it'll work better in this drawer' changing it up taking way too much time to organize. Putting back a six pack while figuring, doing, changing and admiring........

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Some days you work on what you like, others you work on things to be ready to work on what you like. Sometimes you like that stuff too.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I really need to clean up the garage. I mean the place is a cold, dirty thing, but at least when it's organized it's decent to do things in. There is no point in doing a big renovation as of yet as we might (it's a family "second" house) make it into a utility room for washing, storage etc as an extension from the living area of the house. But at the same time I don't really know when it'll happen, so am toying with the idea of spraying the walls with some fresh cheap paint and maybe just float some concrete leveler on the floor to make it a bit less bumpy and janky. Doesn't have to last, just be a bit nicer until it's time to redo it. Has to be cheap to make sense though.

The cycle of our garage is always I clean and organize -> it stays clean until there is a major cleanup etc from renovating something -> everything gets put in the garage until we have time to rent a trailer and go to the recycling station -> poo poo stays there for ages because only one car has a trailer hitch.
So I bought an S10 so we can go whenever. Just need to fix that first.... lol.

VVV: That's what I'm a bit afraid of. On the other hand it gives me the opportunity to actually see what I need and don't need and then make sure it stays where it should. Duplicates can go to family members etc so we don't have to move basic tools around all the time.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Nov 14, 2020

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

On the one hand I really need to organize my tool box. On the other hand if I actually go all out with foam and such I'll have to get another box. I still need to leave room in my garage for a mill and lathe and a big finger break would be nice and...

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

https://youtu.be/AbSehcT19u0

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Rexxed posted:

South Main Auto uses the Astro lights so I got one for my friend for xmas a couple of years ago (40SL). He likes it. I think harbor freight has a $10-15 knock off of it but bigclive did a teardown of both and found that it wasn't as well made.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB6_T5Eq8uk

Necro post I know, but man gently caress LED work lights forever. When my dad moved to a new shop he gave me 3 old Safe-T-Lite florescents and they are the poo poo. The outer casing finally broke on one that has to be 20 years old, I can't even find the part number online.

I didn't know they were $150 for ones without a reel and $200+ for those with one. Thanks dad!

I took apart a Crapsman rechargable that the battery lasted a year on and fixed the busted Safe-T-Lite.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

builds character posted:

I try not to post a bunch of deals to this thread just because I like tools but this...

reminded me of how just I laughed the first time I used mine because it was so great. I have the dewalt version which is currently on just a ridiculous deal if you're willing to deal with detent pin instead of hog ring. https://toolguyd.com/dewalt-brushless-impact-wrench-kit-dcf899m1-deal-112020/ $200 for tool + 4ah battery, charger and bag.

Hell yeah, I almost bought this last week as a bare tool. Thanks for posting!

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I have the mid-torque Milwaukee 1/2" impact, and it's fantastic. At 600ft-lbs it hasn't had an issue with axle nuts or anything else I've used it for. It's tiny compared to the giant one, but so nice and easy to use. I may have justified the big combo pack cause I couldn't find the combo with the charger anywhere nearby, so now I have a sawzal, impact driver, drill, circular saw, and work light. All of which have come in handy, why on earth did I wait this long to pick up good battery powered tools???

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

TrueChaos posted:

I have the mid-torque Milwaukee 1/2" impact, and it's fantastic. At 600ft-lbs it hasn't had an issue with axle nuts or anything else I've used it for. It's tiny compared to the giant one, but so nice and easy to use. I may have justified the big combo pack cause I couldn't find the combo with the charger anywhere nearby, so now I have a sawzal, impact driver, drill, circular saw, and work light. All of which have come in handy, why on earth did I wait this long to pick up good battery powered tools???

Which one is this? I'm making a list of things to keep an eye out for holiday/black friday sales. Looks like maybe this one - M18 FUEL™ 1/2" High Torque Impact Wrench with Friction Ring Kit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

tangy yet delightful posted:

Which one is this? I'm making a list of things to keep an eye out for holiday/black friday sales. Looks like maybe this one - M18 FUEL™ 1/2" High Torque Impact Wrench with Friction Ring Kit?

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Fastening/Impact-Wrenches/2861-20

This is the midtorque. The one you linked is an older version of the bigger high torque version