Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
I’m not really into cop shows but man Bosch is so good. all the actors are excellent, the writing is pretty good, the cinematography is outstanding. everything is good and I didn’t realize another season dropped back in April so I’ve been watching that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

hm what's gushing out of the usenet firehose at the moment?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osGcADewoFo

:eyepop:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
The only form of ethical consumption under the late-capitalist mode of production is buying and selling used copies of Dune with a first-sell date before the rise of the foul usurper Brian "Lord of Lies" Herbert.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
smoka has escaped the shark. missed u

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

mediaphage posted:

I’m not really into cop shows but man Bosch is so good. all the actors are excellent, the writing is pretty good, the cinematography is outstanding. everything is good and I didn’t realize another season dropped back in April so I’ve been watching that.

I tried a couple episodes when it first came out but thought "oh look yet another gritty rear end in a top hat alcoholic detective but actually he's brilliant show" and dropped it. if it manages to transcend that maybe I'll give it another shot

also I'm watching gundam unicorn and the plot is convoluted garbage but it has some of the best giant robot pew pew action I've ever seen

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
i figured out something i think about fargo season 4

there aren't any more good cop characters

actually that's what should have been bugging me about previous seasons

the only good cops retired from copping when they realized what a poo poo show the job was and that they didn't deserve to have the power of life and death

s4 just does away with any semblance of a sympathetic cop

which is good

little on the nose

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

qirex posted:

I tried a couple episodes when it first came out but thought "oh look yet another gritty rear end in a top hat alcoholic detective but actually he's brilliant show" and dropped it. if it manages to transcend that maybe I'll give it another shot

also I'm watching gundam unicorn and the plot is convoluted garbage but it has some of the best giant robot pew pew action I've ever seen

i admit that one of the things i like about it is that it is technically well-executed. i'm really tired of tv shows where they change camera angles literally every five seconds or less. i have a hard enough time paying attention as it is, i don't need the tv to switch it up for me

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i got african kung fu nazis already, havent seen it. looking forward to it

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Jonny 290 posted:

i got african kung fu nazis already, havent seen it. looking forward to it

There was also a couple docus that I've had queued for a while both dropped in today, "J.R. “Bob” Dobbs and The Church of the SubGenius" and "Fireball: Visitors From Darker Worlds" about shooting stars and meteor impacts, the latter narrated by Werner Herzog.

The SubG one I will absolutely bail on if there's even a hint of lib smuggery, but the early SG poo poo amused me as a young man first on the Internet way back when.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Oh for sure. there's a bit of value in looking back at that. It's like Adbusters, kinda. Super tame and a little cringe in 2020, but 20-25 years ago? fuckin straight up subversive

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

mediaphage posted:

i'm really tired of tv shows where they change camera angles literally every five seconds or less.
:yossame:

it can be a sign of something that’s chopped and screwed all tae gently caress in post but it’s really annoying and it feels like the cinematographical equivalent of jangling keys in front of the viewer

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

i’m not going to watch bosch though. glad someone unironically enjoys it

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mediaphage posted:

Bosch is honestly one of the most deranged pieces of copaganda and one of the running subplots is dealing with Chinese spies.

My favorite season is the one where they deal with the BLM movement, and a black lawyer who is suing the department for doing another rodney king. The whole season they paint the black lawyer as an absolute piece of poo poo, he cheats on his wife frequently, neglects his son (which causes him to get into dealing drugs), and things like that. The lady who is heading the BLM movement is painted as an violent extermist despite only organizing peaceful protests the whole season, and told by the police chief that they only way they can change the system is by joining it and trying to change it from the inside. Bosch also has a whole line about how there are good cops and bad cops, and it's on the good cops to root out the bad ones.

It should be added that he lives in a huge mansion in san francisco despite being a police detective and treats his teenage daughter (who has dealt with a shitload of emotional trauma) as a stay at home wife in later seasons.

The best cop show is Justified because the whole show is supposed to show the marshals as nothing more than a bunch of goons who terrorize people, but timothy olyphant unironically believes that is a good thing for cops to do.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Can I like Monk?

:ohdear:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
i like inspector morse. that's it really.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The best cop show is Justified because the whole show is supposed to show the marshals as nothing more than a bunch of goons who terrorize people, but timothy olyphant unironically believes that is a good thing for cops to do.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Bosch is honestly one of the most deranged pieces of copaganda and one of the running subplots is dealing with Chinese spies.

My favorite season is the one where they deal with the BLM movement, and a black lawyer who is suing the department for doing another rodney king. The whole season they paint the black lawyer as an absolute piece of poo poo, he cheats on his wife frequently, neglects his son (which causes him to get into dealing drugs), and things like that. The lady who is heading the BLM movement is painted as an violent extermist despite only organizing peaceful protests the whole season, and told by the police chief that they only way they can change the system is by joining it and trying to change it from the inside. Bosch also has a whole line about how there are good cops and bad cops, and it's on the good cops to root out the bad ones.

It should be added that he lives in a huge mansion in san francisco despite being a police detective and treats his teenage daughter (who has dealt with a shitload of emotional trauma) as a stay at home wife in later seasons.

I’m not really defending the content since acab but I still enjoy the filming and scenery ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

for less coptroversial submissions I think lovecraft country is worth a watch

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
justified loving rules.

bosch the tv show is ok and bosch is never presented as a house/holmes type savant. bosch is an rear end in a top hat whos just smart enough to use the system to hide his crimes. if hes better than other cops its just because he actually does the work, not because he sees the things other people dont. hes an rear end in a top hat to his co-workers because he thinks they dont work as hard as he does and hes an rear end in a top hat to people he thinks are criminals because he has mommy issues.

the hero of the show is a defense attorney who spends her days fighting abusive cops, which of course would include bosch.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Shaggar posted:

justified loving rules.

bosch the tv show is ok and bosch is never presented as a house/holmes type savant. bosch is an rear end in a top hat whos just smart enough to use the system to hide his crimes. if hes better than other cops its just because he actually does the work, not because he sees the things other people dont. hes an rear end in a top hat to his co-workers because he thinks they dont work as hard as he does and hes an rear end in a top hat to people he thinks are criminals because he has mommy issues.

the hero of the show is a defense attorney who spends her days fighting abusive cops, which of course would include bosch.

this is pretty accurate.

i like justified because im from kentucky and tbh it was just nice to see a show that wasn’t (entirely) about “lol those dumb hillbillies”

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

mediaphage posted:

this is pretty accurate.

i like justified because im from kentucky and tbh it was just nice to see a show that wasn’t (entirely) about “lol those dumb hillbillies”

it's good to remind people that not all hillbillies are drunken ape men

serves as a warning

i like walter goggins

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
see also: ozark

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
the best cop show is Banshee

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

Oh for sure. there's a bit of value in looking back at that. It's like Adbusters, kinda. Super tame and a little cringe in 2020, but 20-25 years ago? fuckin straight up subversive

who else remembers schwa

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
the Arecibo telescope is collapsing. I suspect hostile aliens :ohdear:

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

indigi posted:

it was mulder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLoIctfI5jQ

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtLxg8fKP1Q

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

indigi posted:

they never fixed the dent from trevalyan falling and its just kept getting worse

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Shaggar posted:

justified loving rules.
even the lesser half of the series (generally: odd numbered seasons) is so much better than so many other cop type shows it’s baffling

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Kenny Logins posted:

even the lesser half of the series (generally: odd numbered seasons) is so much better than so many other cop type shows it’s baffling

tbh i think my favourite character on the show is still mags bennett

I think martindale is a good actor generally though

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

qirex posted:

who else remembers schwa

Was this the one where the stick figures fought each-other, like a hybrid of The Matrix (Wachowski/Wachowski, 1999) and Spy vs. Spy (Prohías et. al., 1961-Present)?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

mediaphage posted:

tbh i think my favourite character on the show is still mags bennett

I think martindale is a good actor generally though
s2 was my fave season and she’s part of the reason why

https://twitter.com/alexqarbuckle/status/1256604369799262209?s=21

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Schadenboner posted:

Was this the one where the stick figures fought each-other, like a hybrid of The Matrix (Wachowski/Wachowski, 1999) and Spy vs. Spy (Prohías et. al., 1961-Present)?

no it was a book/zine/sticker thing in the 90s with lots of aliens and people being mind controlled and the like. I think I still have one of the books floating around

stick figures were not invented in 2002

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Schadenboner posted:

maybe you're thinking of xiaoxiao?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw4wzwYeZ0Y

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
man when martindale showed up on The Americans was so good

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Kenny Logins posted:

s2 was my fave season and she’s part of the reason why

https://twitter.com/alexqarbuckle/status/1256604369799262209?s=21

I love when his boss punishes him for murdering a small town's worth of people by doing this

and making him do his job.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Chris Knight posted:

she was EXCELLENT in the americans (an also excellent show)

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Chris Knight posted:

agreed

don't think i've ever seen her in anything where she was anything less than great tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Oh man, I used to watch the poo poo out of these when I was CJing the computer labs. loving Newgrounds or some poo poo?