Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

repiv posted:

I figured I may as well check this since I got a S2721DGF, and it doesn't appear to accept 4K input

The EDID doesn't advertise it, and forcing it as a custom resolution "works" but the OSD still says the input is 1440p so I think the GPU is pre-scaling it even though I have NVCP set to prefer monitor scaling

I don't have a 4K console handy to test with unfortunately
There's a Dell resource page confirming it doesn't have it, it's just that this stuff doesn't scale to find out for multiple monitors. I guess this is kind of a niche thing if it weren't for Sony being dumb-dumbs about PS5's output resolution.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

sony please stop being dumb-dumbs about the ps5s output resolution

they say it's due to them focusing on TVs, but sony themselves have made 4K TVs that only accept 120hz up to 1440p due to HDMI 2.0 limitations

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
Sorry if this is covered in the thread, but couldn't see it in the OP or in the last page.

Are there any OLED monitors that are in the 24-32" range, preferably geared towards gaming? The only ones I could see are the gigantic ones like the Alienware 55" monstrosity or small ones like the ASUS 22" Proart

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Vidaeus posted:

Sorry if this is covered in the thread, but couldn't see it in the OP or in the last page.

Are there any OLED monitors that are in the 24-32" range, preferably geared towards gaming? The only ones I could see are the gigantic ones like the Alienware 55" monstrosity or small ones like the ASUS 22" Proart
There's an LG 48" tv, but otherwise not much. There were some announcements a year or two ago but it didn't really translate into real monitors.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

At 27" 4k I think you'd be either running the monitor at less than native resolution or relying on OS scaling to make text legible, each of which can have pitfalls. It might be fine, but it might not.

I use 27" 4K with Linux and Windows both and it's fine for 90% of stuff (that is native resolution with 200% scaling). It really, really depends on what apps you plan to use, though. Anything Java might be a shitshow on Linux, for example.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

K8.0 posted:

LG 34GN850, but you're paying like three times as much for 35% more monitor. If you're into that kind of gross excess why not look at the 38GN950? But then you realize it costs more than an LG 48" CX OLED. But then you realize it's 48" so now you're remodeling your computer room.

Could also go for the Samsung super ultrawides, now you're paying three times as much for the equivalent of 2x 27" but as VA panels. Not sure if this is a better or worse value proposition.

Rhaka fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Nov 11, 2020

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Can anyone recommend a solid budget 1080p monitor for like $100ish? It’s for a budget gaming rig. Free sync or sync would be nice but not required. Thanks

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Search amazon for 1080p IPS and buy anything with the right inputs that looks good to you. 21-24" 1080p monitors have been commodities for quite a few years at this point. If it's got good reviews, you'll be happy.

*sync isn't going to do much for you because you need at least 120hz to fully utilize it, but if it doesn't cost anything it wouldn't hurt to look for a 75hz Freesync option even if you wind up leaving it turned off.

I think it's also worth asking what's going to be done with this rig, because you can at some points get 24" 1080p 144hz IPS Freesync monitors for ~$170, and if this machine is mainly going to be used for playing like CSGO/OW/League/Rocket League and other potato esports games, if possible it might be worth dropping some horsepower elsewhere in the build to get that sweet high refresh experience.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

DrDork posted:

Watch for Amazon Warehouse deals. I was able to snag a pair of the 83A's for ~$250/ea because they were labeled as "Acceptable," which as far as I can tell meant that there was some scuffing on the packing box--they're otherwise both pristine. Highly recommended as a way to save some money.

Was this you being lucky, or is that the usual Warehouse experience?

I_Socom
Jul 18, 2007

A great ride that requires finesse and effort to get the best out of it.

Courtesy of this thread's recommendations I picked up a LG 27GL83A-B a few months ago and it's been great. Now I've upgraded to an RTX 3080 and considering an additional large monitor; current options are:
1) another 27GL83-A (£430, Amazon)
2) Asus TUF VG27AQ (£410, Ebuyer black friday deal)
3) Asus ROG Strix XG279Q (£400, Ebuyer black friday deal)
4) wait for a 4K 144hz panel in either 27" or 32" (EDIT: maybe the new LG 27GN950-B? Not been reviewed by rtings yet though...)

AFAICS on rtings the Strix review better than the TUF (which reviews better than the LG), so if I want a new 27" now I should just get the Strix. Does that seem sensible (unlike the Ebuyer pricing options :v:)?

And are there any options in the 4k/144Hz space coming soon? I've seen a few reviews of monitors around that spec for ~£900, which is a fair chunk of cash but might be worth it given I've got the 3080 to drive it properly. Is there anything on the horizon or should I hold off for a few more years?

I_Socom fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Nov 13, 2020

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Rinkles posted:

Was this you being lucky, or is that the usual Warehouse experience?

This is, at least in my experience, pretty typical. Obviously YMMV, but I've bought a ton of Amazon Warehouse stuff over the years, and this is more or less what I've ended up breaking their condition metrics down into:

Used - Like New: Seal/tape on the package broken. Everything inside untouched. Almost literally new.

Used - Very Good: Seal/tape on the package broken. Possibly some evidence that someone actually took something out of the box, looked at it, and put it back in. Normally still has the contact plastic on the item, accessory bags unopened, etc. Basically still new for all intents and purposes.

Used - Good: Doesn't pop up too often.

Used - Acceptable: Some damage to the shipping box. Item inside ranges from basically still new to apparent that someone took the item out, maybe plugged it in once, then returned it. Contact plastic usually still there, but not always. Accessory bags might have been opened.

Effectively Amazon Warehouse doesn't really deal with truly used items very often. Almost all of what you're going to get is stuff someone bought and then returned because they (1) found a better price after it had already shipped, (2) decided they didn't need it, or (3) realized it wasn't compatible / wasn't the right model / whatever. I'd bet that, for those items that ever got opened at all, the average out of box time would be under an hour. Despite things like "cosmetic damage" notes, I've found that those are almost always talking about the actual box, rather than the items, which more often than not are basically pristine.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I_Socom posted:

Courtesy of this thread's recommendations I picked up a LG 27GL83A-B a few months ago and it's been great. Now I've upgraded to an RTX 3080 and considering an additional large monitor; current options are:
1) another 27GL83-A (£430, Amazon)
2) Asus TUF VG27AQ (£410, Ebuyer black friday deal)
3) Asus ROG Strix XG279Q (£400, Ebuyer black friday deal)
4) wait for a 4K 144hz panel in either 27" or 32"

AFAICS on rtings the Strix review better than the TUF (which reviews better than the LG), so if I want a new 27" now I should just get the Strix. Does that seem sensible (unlike the Ebuyer pricing options :v:)?

And are there any options in the 4k/144Hz space coming soon? I've seen a few reviews of monitors around that spec for ~£900, which is a fair chunk of cash but might be worth it given I've got the 3080 to drive it properly. Is there anything on the horizon or should I hold off for a few more years?

This is just me, but my preference is to have matching displays if at all possible. Otherwise the differences between the displays always draws my attention - different color, brightness, sharpness, etc. It also carries over into using an external monitor to extend a laptop screen for me - I've been doing this for work purposes and it has made me think I need to replace the dogshit 24" Dell TN display I've been using for it because the display is so bad.

I know a lot of people run mismatched monitors and are fine with it, but it bugs me. When I was running an old 720 monitor in portrait orientation as a second monitor I could tolerate it because I only used it for documents and such, but it was still slightly distracting for me.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I just pair mine with a nice Dell Ultrasharp. They are cheaper than gaming monitors and are good quality productivity monitors. Tiny bezels, good factory calibration.

I wouldn't spend £300+ on a secondary monitor unless I had money to blow and even then I'd be more interested in the expensive productivity monitors than a gaming monitor, unless you want to do dual screen gaming.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Nov 13, 2020

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The new AUO panel looks really good... but that price (+name) is not so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3X3yFh0-gE

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
I've seen the g9 mentioned a few times in the last few pages - I'm really tempted. currently have a ~5 year old x34 that still runs great but I'm putting together a new wfh/gaming box so I figured I'd update the screen too. pretty tied to the ultrawide aspect ratio. any impressions would be good. I read they had some quality control issues over the summer, is that something that's been ironed out?

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
maybe it's just me, but samsung's QLED feels like a step back in tech compared to dell/apple/equivalent IPS screens

I just get really bothered that the color at the bottom of the screen is different from the top of the screen

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

MeruFM posted:

maybe it's just me, but samsung's QLED feels like a step back in tech compared to dell/apple/equivalent IPS screens

I just get really bothered that the color at the bottom of the screen is different from the top of the screen

QLED is just fancy VA, so I'm not surprised. You still get the same tradeoffs and advantages of traditional VA vs IPS.

"QLED" being thought of as an OLED equivalent is an incredibly successful piece of marketing.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
It's important to separate the technology from the marketing on this one.

Quantum dot technology is a real thing that can be used to improve brightness and color accuracy on pretty much any kind of display. Quantum dot LCDs are pretty much the standard at the top end of the television world, and a few vendors have shown off OLED displays using quantum dots though they're not in mass production yet.

QLED is Samsung's marketing name for an LED-backlit LCD using quantum dots, specifically intended to cause confusion with OLED among consumers who don't know any better. It's pretty drat effective at doing that.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Is there a good monitor stand (that probably clamps to the desk?) that can hold two 34" ultrawides one on top of the other? Right now I've got them bolted to the wall but I might be moving soon and it would probably be easier to just use a stand.

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000

Fhqwhgads posted:

Is there a good monitor stand (that probably clamps to the desk?) that can hold two 34" ultrawides one on top of the other? Right now I've got them bolted to the wall but I might be moving soon and it would probably be easier to just use a stand.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15525

I have these at work and at home. I have 27 inch screens, but the support arms appear to have enough length that they could hold a larger screen horizontally. You may be pushing it all the way to the sides.
I just got new monitors at home, but this model had no problem holding a significantly heavier Dell U2410, I just had to adjust the gas spring to get it to not sag.

You may consider getting two separate mounting arms.

I've said this before, but please notice the mounting bracket can be removed from the end of the arms so you can put the bracket onto the monitor, then just clip it onto the ends of the support arms.

Most of my office has some more expensive monitor arms that do not have that removable bracket. Getting the monitors mounted to those things was a huge pain in the rear end and took longer than it needed because it took two people loving around with lining up the monitor and getting a screw started and holding everything in place.

EDIT: Basic reading comprehension is not my strong suit today...
What about something like this: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=33089 but you know, not that specific brand...

Let's check McMaster for the name of that shape....

There's this stuff: https://www.mcmaster.com/structural-framing/t-slotted-framing-rails/ but it gets expensive quick.

SopWATh fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 14, 2020

Pork Chops Aplenty
Jan 11, 2008

Any thoughts on which of these size/resolution options would work best for productivity? I'm using a t480s with Fedora/RHEL for development work and a 2014 MBP for hobbyist music production and I want to easily switch between the two. I'm replacing 2 fairly lovely 21" 1080p monitors so anything will be an upgrade.

Dell U3419W - 34" 3440x1440
Dell U3818DW - 38" 3840x1600

A couple of questions are keeping me from pulling the trigger:
1) Is the extra real estate on the 38" worth the extra $$$? Not sure how my older MBP will handle the weird resolution either.
2) Is there anything else out there that I've overlooked that:
- is work/productivity focused, don't give a poo poo about gaming performance
- has KVM/PBP and USB-C charging to switch between work/personal laptops
- is under $1k (preferably well under)

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

If it's just $200 dividing those monitors, I would go for the 38" in a heartbeat.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Just as an FYI to monitor shoppers, as of right now the PS5 120hz mode does not work on the ASUS VG27AQ. It was one of the motivating factors for me buying a higher refresh monitor a couple months ago, but there's just no support right now. Hopefully there will be a firmware update at some point to support native 1440 res displays, but until then its good old fashioned 60 hz gaming.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

It's not specific to that monitor, the PS5 just won't do 120hz unless it's in conjunction with 4K over HDMI 2.1

It won't even do 1080p120

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

repiv posted:

It's not specific to that monitor, the PS5 just won't do 120hz unless it's in conjunction with 4K over HDMI 2.1

Yeah I dunno why (probably the price tag) but I just assumed this ASUS monitor would be HDMI 2.1 so it could do 4k/120 and downsample it to 1440, or the PS5 would support 1440 natively, or SOMETHING. Everything still looks really nice on here even with the fake HDR.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

There aren't even any actual 4K monitors with HDMI 2.1 yet, nevermind any 1440p ones

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
And supporting downscaling like that isn't even a desirable feature on a gaming monitor. You always want your GPU doing the scaling in the PC world. If you want a monitor for console use, you're looking for something very specific (and in general, something that doesn't exist yet).

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
The PS5 doesn't even support VRR which makes it an inferior console to the X|S for multiplatform games, multiple games have 120hz modes on both but the PS5 version stutters and hitches because of the lack of VRR, on top of having higher input delay. It's a truly baffling oversight on what is otherwise a pretty fantastic piece of hardware.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I doubt it's an oversight. VRR was mentioned in official materials pre-release. Probably just one of the features that wasn't ready for launch, as is usual for consoles.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Perhaps it will eventually come in alongside the missing 1440p support. Like I said - great hardware with some odd decisions behind it.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

repiv posted:

What.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The PS5 doesn't even support VRR which makes it an inferior console to the X|S for multiplatform games, multiple games have 120hz modes on both but the PS5 version stutters and hitches because of the lack of VRR, on top of having higher input delay. It's a truly baffling oversight on what is otherwise a pretty fantastic piece of hardware.

Don't the PS5 and X|S use the same SoC?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

teagone posted:

Don't the PS5 and X|S use the same SoC?

They're both based off of Zen2 and RDNA2 (maybe RDNA 1.75 for ps5, no one has been exactly clear), but no they're different parts with different customizations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Some Goon posted:

They're both based off of Zen2 and RDNA2 (maybe RDNA 1.75 for ps5, no one has been exactly clear), but no they're different parts with different customizations.

Yeah, in particular the GPUs are different. Not just the different clocks/CU count, but the XS has been noted to have the complete RDNA2 feature set, while the PS5 does not. Also the XS is basically running a stripped down, locked down version of Windows as its core OS, while Sony is using a custom built OS (again), so presumably they'd have needed to do some extra work to get VRR enabled--Microsoft was likely able to just port over what they already had cooked up for Windows that FreeSync sits on top of.

The PS4/Pro didn't, either.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Some Goon posted:

DrDork posted:

Yeah, in particular the GPUs are different. Not just the different clocks/CU count, but the XS has been noted to have the complete RDNA2 feature set, while the PS5 does not. Also the XS is basically running a stripped down, locked down version of Windows as its core OS, while Sony is using a custom built OS (again), so presumably they'd have needed to do some extra work to get VRR enabled--Microsoft was likely able to just port over what they already had cooked up for Windows that FreeSync sits on top of.

Neat! Didn't know that :haw:

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
HDMI 2.1 VRR is in a sketchy place right now (for example I couldn't even use it on my 3090 / C9 without joining a beta firmware program).

It's really, really premature to start placing snap judgments on the VRR capability of the PS5.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Since we're talking about the PS5 and 4k monitors, let me throw what is probably a super subjective question into the ring: how "bad" does it feel to play 1080p games on a 4k monitor, really?

I'm currently on some cheapo 21.5" Asus TN 1080p panel (VS228H) and am looking at a cheapo 28" Asus TN 4k panel (VP28UQG). My PC GPU is an old as hell 6gb 1060 that I don't intend to replace for a few years at least (hence the PS5). I'd be going from playing every PC game at native res and most PS5 games with supersampling to every PC game with blur from upscaling on a larger screen and some PS5 games with upscaling and some at native res.

Does it even make sense to go for this or would the gains to a handful of native res PS5 games be offset by everything else being (slightly?) worse?

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

DrDork posted:

The PS4/Pro didn't, either.

Well, because they couldn't do even 60 in all the titles. 4k120 TVs didn't even exist back then. Cheap 144hz monitors are abundant now and the PS5 could easily drive 1080/120, what the hell. It seems like such a dumb and weird oversight.

Jeff Fatwood fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Nov 16, 2020

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Taima posted:

It's really, really premature to start placing snap judgments on the VRR capability of the PS5.

Not necessarily, even the ye olde base xbox one supports it and has done for several years. It's not an unrealistic expectation to have the PS5 support it when Sony has been shouting about HDMI 2.1 support from the rooftops while peddling their 65XH9005 screens with 'ready for next gen' marketing buzzspeak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

FallenGod posted:

Since we're talking about the PS5 and 4k monitors, let me throw what is probably a super subjective question into the ring: how "bad" does it feel to play 1080p games on a 4k monitor, really?

I'm currently on some cheapo 21.5" Asus TN 1080p panel (VS228H) and am looking at a cheapo 28" Asus TN 4k panel (VP28UQG). My PC GPU is an old as hell 6gb 1060 that I don't intend to replace for a few years at least (hence the PS5). I'd be going from playing every PC game at native res and most PS5 games with supersampling to every PC game with blur from upscaling on a larger screen and some PS5 games with upscaling and some at native res.

Does it even make sense to go for this or would the gains to a handful of native res PS5 games be offset by everything else being (slightly?) worse?

If you're gonna use the monitor for other things then I'd say it's worth it otherwise I would say no. Everything is so crisp on 4K (especially at 27" or 28") that having blurry games is just so much more noticeable. For me, anyway :shrug: