Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Just finished Queen's Gambit.

1. Excellent story overall, A+. I rarely give out that grade.
2. By far the best of anything Netflix has put out.
3. Crisp, clear, interesting storytelling. No need to have 15 plot threads to coax the viewer into thinking "confusing" is "interesting."
4. I really enjoyed it. Sad it isn't based on a true story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

SlipkPIe posted:

drat, American Gods really does go off the rails in season 2. The first season was uneven, but interesting and promising. This is just an immediate shitshow

they lost Bryan Fuller, that's basically the kiss of death

the new showrunners also cut the best character in the show for probably-racist reasons going into S3

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Rewatched "Sorry to Bother You" on Hulu. Might be the most explicitly marxist movie from beginning to end I've ever seen, and it's through the lens of "the black experience". It's black humor is a bit painful in how true it is, but goddamn does it get you feeling, even as it gets surreal.

This rewatch i really appreciated the relationship with Cass and Detroit (and by extension Squeeze) as feeling really "real". No forced romance subplot, and when they break up it's handled as sober adults, no drama.. Did a lot to ground the movie as the surreal elements crept in. They are forever comrades in the fight :ussr:

Incredible, incredible movie.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

New Boots Riley movie when?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Sorry to Bother You is fantastic.

I'm just disappointed with some of Boots Riley's posts on Twitter.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What did he say?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Famethrowa posted:

Rewatched "Sorry to Bother You" on Hulu. Might be the most explicitly marxist movie from beginning to end I've ever seen, and it's through the lens of "the black experience". It's black humor is a bit painful in how true it is, but goddamn does it get you feeling, even as it gets surreal.

This rewatch i really appreciated the relationship with Cass and Detroit (and by extension Squeeze) as feeling really "real". No forced romance subplot, and when they break up it's handled as sober adults, no drama.. Did a lot to ground the movie as the surreal elements crept in. They are forever comrades in the fight :ussr:

Incredible, incredible movie.

Based on this I'm rewatching it.

Also I guess Atlanta will be coming back eventually and has two more seasons written* but watch the first two seasons everyone it really captures something. I mean for an emmy winning show it seems underwatched/underrated.

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a33981180/donald-glover-atlanta-season-3-update-delay/

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

What did he say?

He's deleted his account due to the heat but he said that Tianamen Square was a hoax perpetrated by the Capitalist news media and that it was really done by a handful of rich elitist students.

This is a small excerpt from it:

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

https://www.democracynow.org/2018/7/17/boots_riley_on_how_his_hit

This has the whole transcript of the video that particular quote was taken from. I see a lot of vague stuff on twitter implying that he elsewhere said the Tiananmen massacre was a hoax, or exaggerated, or the victims deserved it or something, but it's hard to find people pointing to much beyond that one quote.

EDIT: errrrr oh https://twitter.com/HuntWMD/status/1136424724265701378/photo/1

Martman fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 11, 2020

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Martman posted:

This has the whole transcript of the video that particular quote was taken from. I see a lot of vague stuff on twitter implying that he elsewhere said the Tiananmen massacre was a hoax, or exaggerated, or the victims deserved it or something, but it's hard to find people pointing to much beyond that one quote

He absolutely said it. I remember reading the post and commenting on it when he did.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Sorry not trying to dismiss your claim, just seems like the other tweets (which I was failing to find at first) are way more clear and bad

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Martman posted:

Sorry not trying to dismiss your claim, just seems like the other tweets (which I was failing to find at first) are way more clear and bad

It's fine. I should have linked something better but nobody has seemed to take a screenshot of it.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

Sorry to Bother You is fantastic.

I'm just disappointed with some of Boots Riley's posts on Twitter.

Yeah, he's undoubtedly a true believer maoist. Even in STBY the white collar labor organizer is seen as secondary to the lumpenprole "horse" characters.

Doesn't take away from how moving the movie is, especially in light of the BLM protests of this year.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Martman posted:

This has the whole transcript of the video that particular quote was taken from. I see a lot of vague stuff on twitter implying that he elsewhere said the Tiananmen massacre was a hoax, or exaggerated, or the victims deserved it or something, but it's hard to find people pointing to much beyond that one quote.

EDIT: errrrr oh https://twitter.com/HuntWMD/status/1136424724265701378/photo/1

He's 100% correct. There were many kinds of protesters at Tiananmen and the student protesters were overwhelmingly capitalist managerial aspirants. The violence was directed mostly at uneducated workers who were resisting Dengist reforms

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

DeimosRising posted:

He's 100% correct. There were many kinds of protesters at Tiananmen and the student protesters were overwhelmingly capitalist managerial aspirants. The violence was directed mostly at uneducated workers who were resisting Dengist reforms
I'm no expert on the history, but it seems like there's a big gap between "directed mostly at" and "this group wasn't killed, this other group was"

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
And like even if they were advocating the wrong thing killing protesters is (checks notes) bad

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Finally finished off Bly Manor. While I certainly understand why some prefer Hill House, I thought they were roughly equal. I think Bly has a stronger start and Hill House had the stronger ending though.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Simone Magus posted:

Finally finished off Bly Manor. While I certainly understand why some prefer Hill House, I thought they were roughly equal. I think Bly has a stronger start and Hill House had the stronger ending though.
Just so many bland hours. They could've done the same thing with half the time.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Finally getting around to giving Lovecraft Country a watch. I can certainly see why it's reception has been rather divided, there's a pretty sharp shift between the first episode and what comes after. But now that I've realized it's basically a gleefully pulpy 1950's Supernatural and adjusted my expectations accordingly I'm enjoying it quite a lot.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

GORDON posted:

Just finished Queen's Gambit.

1. Excellent story overall, A+. I rarely give out that grade.
2. By far the best of anything Netflix has put out.
3. Crisp, clear, interesting storytelling. No need to have 15 plot threads to coax the viewer into thinking "confusing" is "interesting."
4. I really enjoyed it. Sad it isn't based on a true story.

I loved it, but best thing Netflix was put out? It is up there , but I’ll probably put The Crown and Master of None above it. HoHH and Russian Doll are close to it. That said that is all I can think of off the top of my head when it comes to Netflix originals. Plenty of other good stuff, just not on that level of quality.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

they lost Bryan Fuller, that's basically the kiss of death

the new showrunners also cut the best character in the show for probably-racist reasons going into S3

Not saying racism didn't play a part, but there was rumored to be pushed back from Gaiman about the actor because Jones pretty much took over as a surrogate show runner halfway through season 2 when the new guy was fired was took it wildly off book. The fact that season 3 deals with part of the book he doesn't show up in was a useful excuse.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Orlando Jones was improving and elevating the material, even ad libbing most of his lines

He was being "problematic"... lol

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i'll admit i'm also biased here because i don't have all that much respect for Gaiman's source material :v:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
pushback from Gaiman would surprise me, because Anansi was one of the only elements of the show that felt dead-on to the book.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Anansi yeah, but the overall story kind of went all over the place. The adlibbing was something the studio hated about him taking over. The actors adlibbrd so much that union rules required them to get a script credit and thr associated pay bump.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ps5 has no HBO max app. Wonderful. If it’s anything like PS4 I can’t wait to enjoy HBO again a year from now.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Sony's been in a pissing match with WarnerMedia ever since they got bought by AT&T - it's why Funimation left Crunchyroll.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
American Gods is a fun read but it's not something where we have to worry about being true to the source material. There's a lot of room to work with to explore other aspects of the core idea, but it's production has been such a clusterfuck it's a big whatever.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

Ps5 has no HBO max app. Wonderful. If it’s anything like PS4 I can’t wait to enjoy HBO again a year from now.

Oh good another device HBO Max isn't on

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Simone Magus posted:

I finished Bly Manor tonight and although I found myself a little bored at times throughout I was still all choked up and weepy at the ending. Hill House made me cry like a drat baby so I think I liked that better.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I watched The Vow on HBO and now Seduced on Starz and with both of these documentary series about NXIVM I feel like we are only getting half the story. Both of these series feel like they were made to exonerate the people involved from the crimes the cult committed.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Deadite posted:

I watched The Vow on HBO and now Seduced on Starz and with both of these documentary series about NXIVM I feel like we are only getting half the story. Both of these series feel like they were made to exonerate the people involved from the crimes the cult committed.

I fell off hard after 5 episodes or so of The Vow, it just seemed so repetitive and I am shocked they are doing a second season.

I was already familiar with NXIVM from a podcast I heard a couple years ago, but the first episode of The Vow made NXIVM seem pretty awesome.

Similar to the Netflix documentary on Adderall, which just really made me want to try Adderall.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Sock The Great posted:

I fell off hard after 5 episodes or so of The Vow, it just seemed so repetitive and I am shocked they are doing a second season.

I was already familiar with NXIVM from a podcast I heard a couple years ago, but the first episode of The Vow made NXIVM seem pretty awesome.

Similar to the Netflix documentary on Adderall, which just really made me want to try Adderall.

There was absolutely no reason for those last few episodes to exist. They just decided to keep introducing new people who had the exact same experience and spending the whole hour telling their story.

Season 2 in theory should have more content to work with if they follow the criminal court case.

But yeah, it fell off hard.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
I will say that the best part of Seduced was seeing Mark Vicente in the background of all of the NXIUM footage really getting into whatever Kieth was saying. They also made it clear that Mark was directly making money off of recruiting new people into the cult.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
They go over that in The Vow too though? Sarah, her husband and Mark are all pretty explicit about their role and guilt over having recruited people. Sarah explicitly explains "this is my income and job" early in the show. Theres an entire conversation between Mark and Anthony about that guilt.

Theres also entire segments and an entire episode about "Mark buying into Keiths bullshit" in The Vow. Plenty of clips of him fauning over the guy.

He is the guy who made that awful "What the Bleep" doc so it doesnt surprise me at a NXIVM got him hook line and sinker.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
Yeah I just feel it was more explicit in Seduced. Like, Mark was making a commission on every person that took his course so the more people he could recruit directly increased his income. And while Mark spent a lot of time in The Vow expressing how he didn't know NXIVM was a cult and that "NOBODY JOINS A CULT" Seduced makes it clear that it was definitely a cult. They show footage of something called Tribute Night were groups from the different NXIVM bases basically swear fealty to Keith and give performances about how wonderful and perfect Keith is. During this whole thing Mark is sitting right behind Keith just lapping it up.

My point is that Mark had to know it was a cult and that he was knowingly recruiting people into a cult, which he tries to avoid admitting to in The Vow.

India does the same thing in Seduced, which is why I feel neither series is giving an honest account of the people involved.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Having been forced to watch What the Bleep Do We Know!? in high school by a very nice but possibly misguided teacher, I was primed to think Mark was dogshit from the very start of the documentary. It's a terrible fake science documentary that does stuff like claim native Americans were literally unable to see the boats of invading colonizers because they just did not have the kind of worldview that would allow them to visualize such an idea, and uses quantum mechanics words utterly arbitrarily in an attempt to prove that you should throw away your antidepressants.

On top of all its pseudoscience jargon BS, it features the leader of an organization called Ramtha's School of Enlightenment, and is extremely unclear about the fact that Mark and the other directors are students of this cult:

quote:

The school was established in 1988 by J. Z. Knight, who claims to channel a 35,000-year-old being called Ramtha the Enlightened One. The school's teachings are based on these channeling sessions.

Mark both sucks and is an idiot, and also always seems to be getting involved in this stuff and then looking for angles to get famous.

Martman fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 14, 2020

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Martman posted:

On top of all its pseudoscience jargon BS, it features the leader of an organization called Ramtha's School of Enlightenment, and is extremely unclear about the fact that Mark and the other directors are students of this cult:

Mark both sucks and is an idiot, and also always seems to be getting involved in this stuff and then looking for angles to get famous.

Oh hey, that was my local cult for a while. It is extremely unsurprising that he was a member of it. Hearing he was involved in the NXIVM stuff wasn't surprising either, but his involvement in The Vow really put me off from watching it because it just seems like yet another opportunity for him to get attention.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Jingle Jangle: A Christmas Journey on Netflix is pretty enjoyable. Acceptable book, very good music (it is a musical), spectacular costuming and set work. Also you get to hear Forest Whitaker sing, an unexpected pleasure. A fun as hell movie, although it does the Netflix-Christmas-Movie thing where its less a Christmas movie and more Christmas-adjacent. As a household that's been watching a lot of Hallmark Movies, there's a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Anyone given Truth Seekers a try? New Nick Frost and Simon Pegg thing on Amazon Prime Video where Frost leads a team of goofy Youtube ghost hunters who stumble onto some real paranormal conspiracy poo poo. At least I think that's the idea.

Surprised no one's talkin about it! Probably gonna give it a shot tonight.