Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Bob Morales posted:

And an honest question to any of you, do you have to wear a mask the entire time at your job? Because if you don’t, it’s easy to sit on a high horse and tell people what to do.

I’ll drop this but some of you need to relax.

Bitch wear the mask

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Volguus posted:

The company that I work for is usually working from home, but the office is there for the few people that may need it. They have this entire protocol for checking in, checking out, wearing a mask while walking around the office, stay in distanced cubicles, etc. But, at least for now, the guidelines say that while at your desk, you don't have to wear a mask.

:aaa:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Bob Morales posted:

Leatherman in my pocket while I have a tool cart. Not knife guy.

because it absolutely matters that your knife also has a pair of pliers in that context

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Woof Blitzer posted:

Bitch wear the mask

I have to, so I am. I just disagree.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

because it absolutely matters that your knife also has a pair of pliers in that context

There are about fifty other tools you can cut stuff with on the cart. Saws, snips, other knives, blah blah.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Bob Morales posted:

And an honest question to any of you, do you have to wear a mask the entire time at your job? Because if you don’t, it’s easy to sit on a high horse and tell people what to do.

before WFH? yes, for a month, daily, including on a ~3hr commute. I also wore a mask for the last two weeks at home along with my roommate due to an unavoidable trip. I recommend putting a few strips of paper towels inside to collect moisture. I've found that a proper disposable surgical mask (like the blue/white ones) are a lot more comfortable than a cloth one, especially when bent out properly so it never makes contact with your face in the front.

Impotence fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 14, 2020

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
CEO emailed me at 9am complaining that he was receiving PDFs in a new format that could not be edited. I assumed the problem was that something had stolen the PDF association from Acrobat. I usually jump right on any request from him because he's such an impatient rear end in a top hat but gently caress him. It's Saturday morning, and he often waits until after hours to report a problem to me.

Six minutes later he sent a followup copying in his assistant and Bill demanding that this be fixed immediately because he was buried in work and cannot function.

Okay, okay.

I open Outlook and begin typing a reply that I will call him within five minutes, but my phone is already ringing. It's Bill.

gently caress off Bill, I am taking care of it. I get him off the phone and send the email, but my phone is ringing.

It's the assistant. gently caress off assistant, I am taking care of it.

I already have the remote support software open and connecting to the CEO's computer, I have my earbuds in and am dialing the CEO.

Call waiting. It's the CEO. I drop my call and switch over to him and he is already bitching at me before I can say "Hello." I ignore him and take control of his computer, see that Edge has stolen the PDF association, fix it, and am disconnecting from his machine before I can get a word in.

I had to wait about another 20 seconds for him to stop talking so I could tell him that the problem is fixed and he can go back to doing all the work that he should be delegating to his employees.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Same thing but CEO’s Secretary was printing the actual PDF to another PDF which zaps all the forms etc

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

I’ll drop this but some of you need to relax.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

no dig UP you idiot

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Bob Morales posted:

I just don’t want to wear one at my loving desk.

There's also a strong performative aspect to wearing a mask. it shows that you take the current crisis seriously. If you consider yourself to have any sort of positive reputation at work you need to back your rep up, and if you don't, wow's the time to get some.

I moved into an office recently. I've got 2-3 hours of meetings even on days I find myself on-campus, so being able to shut the door and take off the mask for multi-hour stretches is sweet. But I'll leave the door open and the mask on when I'm not on a call; I appreciate that I have to both show willing and set an example.

Wear the goddamn mask, you're setting a bad example you're living on nuts and berries.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

My wife’s nose is scarring from wearing PPE for 12 hour shifts for the past 8 months to keep maskless chuds alive on ventilators.

gently caress you. Wear a loving mask.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I say this as someone firmly committed to various posting gimmicks: "Just wear the loving mask, Bob" (as the kids say these days).

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

More poo poo that pisses you off: Just wear the loving mask, Bob

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime
Work things pissing me off:

Ive been working from home since the first UK lockdown, so have not been around to tell people not to store poo poo in the server room.
Popped in earlier to connect a couple NIC ports to the a switch. Or at least thats what I wanted to do - I couldn't even get to the server rack as a bunch of disassembled desks had fallen onto the pile of old CCTV equipment and jammed the rack door shut. Shut the door, locked up and went home to send a ranty email to the Directors.

Home things pissing me off:

My girlfriends daughter put on a load of lip balm and kissed my TV a bunch and I have just smeared it around trying to get it off.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Jeoh posted:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Jeoh posted:

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Jeoh posted:

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Jeoh posted:

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Jeoh posted:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Jeoh posted:

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Jeoh posted:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jeoh posted:

This is like electing a pope. Thread title by acclamation.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Welp. Who am I to disobey the will of the people?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Beautiful

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Thanatosian posted:

Chantix, yo. It's probably free through your insurance (because your insurance wants you to stop smoking).

Chantix works fairly well, I had to stop taking it though because it was causing me to have such vivid dreams it was loving up my sleep.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Wear the loving mask, Bob.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Jeoh posted:

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Work standing is it’s fine not to wear at your desk and my dumb brain didn’t think of recirculating air. Same work also makes me come in despite having 2 confirmed cases on my floor last week. Now that I’ve been reminded of basic concepts of air travel like a 4 year old, I’ll be masking up if I’m outside my house.

We’re also converting everyone to laptops so they can WFH but IT? gently caress them. :sigh:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

lament.cfg posted:

My wife’s nose is scarring from wearing PPE for 12 hour shifts for the past 8 months to keep maskless chuds alive on ventilators.

This detail is like a knife. This loving country.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Irritated Goat posted:

Work standing is it’s fine not to wear at your desk and my dumb brain didn’t think of recirculating air. Same work also makes me come in despite having 2 confirmed cases on my floor last week. Now that I’ve been reminded of basic concepts of air travel like a 4 year old, I’ll be masking up if I’m outside my house.

We’re also converting everyone to laptops so they can WFH but IT? gently caress them. :sigh:

Bring up the possibility of infection from circulated air with your manager and HR and go get tested.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The server room has a huge blower attached to it on the other side of the far wall, and most of the air in the building gets blasted through it. When I have to work in there I feel like I'm being constantly hosed down by everyone's germs because no one wears a mask.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Irritated Goat posted:

Yeaaaaaah I'm probably going to go from casually wearing a double-layered gaiter when I'm not at desk to wearing a full mask as much as possible.

jebrown84
Aug 27, 2005

Help me Johnny Boy you're my only hope.
Wear the loving mask Bob.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

WHO website:

A well-maintained and operated system can reduce the spread of COVID-19 in indoor spaces by increasing the rate of air change, reducing recirculation of air and increasing the use of outdoor air.

Maybe ask your maintenance department if they are regularly changing your air filters instead of just freaking out about your HVAC?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

jebrown84 posted:

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Bring up the possibility of infection from circulated air with your manager and HR and go get tested.

When we had 2 confirmed cases on my floor, I asked about WFH full time since I only go in 2 days a week and I’m also high risk. I got some hand waving bullshit. I’m trying to get out of there double time.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

lament.cfg posted:

We have had masks mandated as PPE which means even if you are medically exempt you still have to wear one.

I had a member of staff raise the issue of asthma as an excuse to not wear a mask - that will not cut it, unless you have a NHS letter of exemption which this person does not.

So when the choice was get a note, wear a mask or, if you can't do either of those, you can't come to work and you go on sick pay which wont last long - up to you.
They were then magically able to wear a mask, although they then decided they suffer from the nose scarring issue you refer to due to 'allergies'

This person did actually solve this issue themselves - we are being issued to different coloured sets of masks, seemingly randomly. This person got a box of the lighter coloured ones for themselves as they are supposedly less something or other and this stops the allergy issue.

I suspect it's solved the issue that this person doesn't have their very own badge of honour to tell people about but whatever - at least they are wearing a mask.

In my workplace the challenge around masks is not the wearing of masks, but constantly having to walk past everyone and go "ahem! *pinching gesture of moving mask properly over nose*" i.e. the constant challenging of people to wear them properly.

Whilst there is an argument that in my place of work we have a lot less air circulating equipment so if you are in your own office you are not the greatest risk compared to how modern large open plan offices are designed/built etc, it really isn't a lot to ask someone to wear a mask. Just wear the loving mask!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bob Morales posted:

WHO website:

A well-maintained and operated system can reduce the spread of COVID-19 in indoor spaces by increasing the rate of air change, reducing recirculation of air and increasing the use of outdoor air.

Maybe ask your maintenance department if they are regularly changing your air filters instead of just freaking out about your HVAC?

Oooh, ooh, I can play this game!

quote:

However, adequate ventilation is just one of the preventive measures to reduce the risk of COVID-19 transmission. Other important measures include maintaining physical distance of at least 1 meter whenever possible, frequent hand hygiene and wearing a mask.

COVID-19 management is about risk mitigation, you don't pick-and-mix the bits that sounds good and feel smug about being safe. You're not. You apply goddamn-every measure to minimize your chance of infection, or infecting others. Because that's the best any of us can do.

jebrown84 posted:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've been fortunate to be WFH since mid March, right now my biggest office space problem is whenever I put my pants on to actually leave the house for some reason my cat loses her poo poo because she loves going on adventures and she's decided that me swapping my shorts for pants = adventure time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Bob Morales posted:

WHO website:

You know what else reduces spread? Masks. You know what's better than one reduction? Two.

Just wear the loving mask, Bob.