Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Duckman2008 posted:

Potentially true.

Yes you can for sure buy any unlocked iPhone (make sure it’s the unlocked branded model) and it works with whatever Verizon plan no problem, no fees.

If he wants the 12, he will want to take said phone to a store to get a 5G SIM card (free at corporate stores). Or, if stores in the area are closed, have care mail him one.

So only disclaimer, 5G phones now need a 5G SIM.

OK last question, can that 5G SIM card go back into the Galaxy phone that doesn't have 5G? Or can he just put the original SIM card back into it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

OK last question, can that 5G SIM card go back into the Galaxy phone that doesn't have 5G? Or can he just put the original SIM card back into it?

Uh....I think it’ll work ? It’s so new I haven’t tried it yet.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Duckman2008 posted:

So only disclaimer, 5G phones now need a 5G SIM.
Now need a 5G SIM period, or just need it to use 5G?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Now need a 5G SIM period, or just need it to use 5G?

Probably just to use 5G. The Samsung 5G phones did work when you put a 4G phone in them.

That said, 5G low band (Verizon brands it 5G Nationwide) is out, and unlike 5G ultra wide band, it works reliably and is compatible with all plans with no extra $10 a month fees. So honestly, if you get a 5G phone , you should be getting a 5G SIM card, it will likely help you.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I got my Pixel 5 (Google Store unlocked) yesterday and it did send me a text asking me to get a 5G SIM after activating with my old SIM. My very old 4G SIM works fine with it and I get the same signal I did before.

Trying to be a good citizen re: covid, so I used the online chat to request a 5G SIM. The whole chat process was a kind of a pain, probably should have just called the 800 number instead, but I should have my 5G SIM on Tuesday.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

waffle iron posted:

I got my Pixel 5 (Google Store unlocked) yesterday and it did send me a text asking me to get a 5G SIM after activating with my old SIM. My very old 4G SIM works fine with it and I get the same signal I did before.

Trying to be a good citizen re: covid, so I used the online chat to request a 5G SIM. The whole chat process was a kind of a pain, probably should have just called the 800 number instead, but I should have my 5G SIM on Tuesday.

Ok cool, that’s good to know.

And yeah, thanks for ordering vs in store. In store doesn’t take long, but it’s def a weird and stressful time to be in retail.

My store is closed for another week or two because of a case. Sucks , hopefully my co worker is ok, myself and my wife tested negative. I am not looking forward to Black Friday.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Got a SIM-free iPhone 12 last week. I was coming from an iPhone 11 with a SIM that was 3 or 4 years old, so I ordered a new 5G SIM for that line online.

When the SIM came I set it up on the iPhone 12. Then a few minutes later got a text that said something to the effect of "we noticed you changed your SIM, use you should use the 5G one that came with your phone."

Is this just some automated process that triggers on SIM changes and I can ignore that message, or did I not actually activate the new 5G one right?

The iPhone itself says 5G in most places and not LTE, but outside of UWB areas (where it's holy crap fast), I don't see any real difference in speed.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Do I have to upgrade my plan from my 16gb data to an unlimited one to use 5g like the Verizon app tells me? I’d rather not, if possible.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kitten smoothie posted:

Got a SIM-free iPhone 12 last week. I was coming from an iPhone 11 with a SIM that was 3 or 4 years old, so I ordered a new 5G SIM for that line online.

When the SIM came I set it up on the iPhone 12. Then a few minutes later got a text that said something to the effect of "we noticed you changed your SIM, use you should use the 5G one that came with your phone."

Is this just some automated process that triggers on SIM changes and I can ignore that message, or did I not actually activate the new 5G one right?

The iPhone itself says 5G in most places and not LTE, but outside of UWB areas (where it's holy crap fast), I don't see any real difference in speed.

You should be good. Nationwide 5G likely won’t be a big difference right now than 4G. Reviews are coming out saying the same to maybe 20-40% faster. In theory it should become more of a difference in 1-3 years

Wonderllama posted:

Do I have to upgrade my plan from my 16gb data to an unlimited one to use 5g like the Verizon app tells me? I’d rather not, if possible.

You should not have to to use 5G nationwide (see post above), although you will need a 5G SIM. You would have to for the ultra wide band, but honestly given the speeds of ultra wide band, if you have it in your area it would chew through 16Gb pretty quickly depending on what you do.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Y’all better be giving Duckman some business. Dude is going above and beyond and also read his other replies yo, he is answering same question over and over!

I was grading a hilarious call the other day for one of the dudes on my team where an Apple retail store employee called AppleCare asking if an android sim worked in an iPhone. Like come on son! Day 1 support stuff

Not hilarious call where the Verizon rep called in because they managed to put the customer in account recovery and was asking how to speed up process. Dude wanted to trade in old phone so not only was the iPhone in activation lock but his poo poo wouldn’t transfer over on the new iPhone. Got the whole I need to speak to a manager so unfortunately I didn’t get to hear him get told sorry that’s how it works. Dude was thinking it was only 24 hour wait. Probably going to be pissed when he learns it’s 24 hours till you get official waiting time that could be up to 30 days.

Hey Duck I been meaning to ask do they train you on the whole two factor poo poo for apple ids? I imagine it can slow down upgrades and new purchases since a ton of people don’t know their password

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Y’all better be giving Duckman some business. Dude is going above and beyond and also read his other replies yo, he is answering same question over and over!

I was grading a hilarious call the other day for one of the dudes on my team where an Apple retail store employee called AppleCare asking if an android sim worked in an iPhone. Like come on son! Day 1 support stuff

Not hilarious call where the Verizon rep called in because they managed to put the customer in account recovery and was asking how to speed up process. Dude wanted to trade in old phone so not only was the iPhone in activation lock but his poo poo wouldn’t transfer over on the new iPhone. Got the whole I need to speak to a manager so unfortunately I didn’t get to hear him get told sorry that’s how it works. Dude was thinking it was only 24 hour wait. Probably going to be pissed when he learns it’s 24 hours till you get official waiting time that could be up to 30 days.

Hey Duck I been meaning to ask do they train you on the whole two factor poo poo for apple ids? I imagine it can slow down upgrades and new purchases since a ton of people don’t know their password

Lol thank you. I’m fairly used to answering the same questions so I don’t even notice.

I’m off this week so maybe I’ll finally do a quick update to the OP. It’s def way out of date.

I can only speak for Verizon retail stores, although it’s probably similar in other departments. No Apple ID training that I remember, it’s technically not Verizon’s problem. That said, there is hands on training on resetting passwords when we have customers in real time. This has been reduced somewhat because of the pandemic.

That said: Verizon employees tend to care about 3 things with iPhones: 1. How iCloud backups work and is the customers phone backed up, 2. Is fine my iPhone on ? And 3. Basic password reset. So the most we tend to do is walk the customer to their password in iCloud settings and hope the phone lets them reset it with their 6 number lock code.

When it gets to where they can’t reset it or have to wait for Apple, honestly we give them Apple’s number and that’s that. We don’t have access to Apple’s password system (good), so it’s less liability to help customers once we get to that point, and now that Covid is there we can’t have customers sit in store on the phone with Apple for an hour.

I can see a lot of Verizon people over promising , but yeah I’m always the opposite. Apple has security on passwords for a reason, they’re not gonna just snap fingers to make an exception.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
I’m going to order an iPhone 12 max pro II air classic and will it benefit you at all duckman if I order through you? It’s not a new line, it’s existing. Just an upgrade. But I don’t mind kicking a ref your way if it helps.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wonderllama posted:

I’m going to order an iPhone 12 max pro II air classic and will it benefit you at all duckman if I order through you? It’s not a new line, it’s existing. Just an upgrade. But I don’t mind kicking a ref your way if it helps.

Unfortunately upgrades don’t benefit fit me , but If you’re ordering online I’ll still give you a referral code , maybe it makes me look good (look for a PM).

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

So do iPads that are ordered from Verizon usually come with a Verizon SIM card?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SourKraut posted:

So do iPads that are ordered from Verizon usually come with a Verizon SIM card?

Yes they should.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

nwin posted:

My wife and I are on a Go Unlimited plan and she’s due for a new phone. She’s got an iPhone 8 that is paid off and I’m wondering what we’d be looking at if she got an iPhone 12 mini?

I’m on the 2020 SE so I don’t really need an upgrade-I paid the device off, but if the trade in makes it seem worth it, then maybe I’d consider.

Reposting since I’m hoping there is more info out since were closer the the pre-order date of the mini.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nwin posted:

Reposting since I’m hoping there is more info out since were closer the the pre-order date of the mini.

Well, my store is closed for the next week because of Covid (not me), so I can’t see the promos yet, IF they were even announced yet (they usually come out 2 days before).

That said, the upgrade for an iPhone 8 was $100 with a premium unlimited plan, which Go isn’t, so....I don’t think you’re gonna get a good trade in from Verizon. I could of course be wrong.

I would keep an eye on Verizon but also apple, Apple tends to offer trade ins and they tend to be carrier agnostic. Verizon , and other carriers, sometimes offer good upgrade promos, but they are more sporadic.

They had targeted $200 off iPhone 12s for customers , some got it some did not. I would also call Verizon on Thursday and see if they have a promo for you.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Hey Duckman,

What's the skinny on this ad I keep seeing that looks like 2 S20 FE UW on Verizon for $200?

I can't find it directly, and whenever I see it, it's gone before I can actually click on it.

Of course, the ONE TIME IN MY LIFE when I actually want to click on an ad, I can't get the details.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AlexDeGruven posted:

Hey Duckman,

What's the skinny on this ad I keep seeing that looks like 2 S20 FE UW on Verizon for $200?

I can't find it directly, and whenever I see it, it's gone before I can actually click on it.

Of course, the ONE TIME IN MY LIFE when I actually want to click on an ad, I can't get the details.

Not sure, I’m out of the store (still fully paid, just due to Covid) until next week so I’m a bit out of the loop on the current promos. I can access my email, but I can’t see promos on my phone.

Best bet, call customer care and see what they can do. Wait times def could be long , although def call today versus Friday - Monday (the busiest times last I checked).

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I promised I'd come back with speed tests the next time I ate at the outdoor cafe where I'm getting ultrawide. The phone displays 5G uw and depending on whether I was facing east or west was getting 5 bars or 4 bars.

At 5 bars I saw down of 515 mbps and 138 mpbs up. At 4 bars I saw 127 mbps and 42 mbps. If I put the phone in my lap under the table it reverted back to regular 5G. I could latch on to uw with 3 bars inside at a window booth if I oriented the phone outward. And at 3 bars it's painful because it did a lot of jockeying between 5G with 5 bars and 5G uw with 3, seeing a net of 46 up and 11 down. I'm thinking of trying to build an IFTTT rule that locks out uw when signal is 3 bars or less. Whether I'll be successful is another story.

So everything they are saying is true - unobstructed signal strength is critical for uv benefits.

Completely anecdotal from a large midwest metro with Verizon on a Galaxy S20+5G.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Goober Peas posted:

I promised I'd come back with speed tests the next time I ate at the outdoor cafe where I'm getting ultrawide. The phone displays 5G uw and depending on whether I was facing east or west was getting 5 bars or 4 bars.

At 5 bars I saw down of 515 mbps and 138 mpbs up. At 4 bars I saw 127 mbps and 42 mbps. If I put the phone in my lap under the table it reverted back to regular 5G. I could latch on to uw with 3 bars inside at a window booth if I oriented the phone outward. And at 3 bars it's painful because it did a lot of jockeying between 5G with 5 bars and 5G uw with 3, seeing a net of 46 up and 11 down. I'm thinking of trying to build an IFTTT rule that locks out uw when signal is 3 bars or less. Whether I'll be successful is another story.

So everything they are saying is true - unobstructed signal strength is critical for uv benefits.

Completely anecdotal from a large midwest metro with Verizon on a Galaxy S20+5G.

Appreciate the report !

Do you see a difference on low band 5G in places you go ?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

From what I've experienced, low band 5G has been equal to 4G speed wise, when I manually switch between them.

Both run about 100/50. I have no proof but I think Verizon is still building out the infrastructure locally, and is why we're not seeing the 200+ lowband and 1000+ uw.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Goober Peas posted:

From what I've experienced, low band 5G has been equal to 4G speed wise, when I manually switch between them.

Both run about 100/50. I have no proof but I think Verizon is still building out the infrastructure locally, and is why we're not seeing the 200+ lowband and 1000+ uw.

Yeah, they’re absolutely still building it out. R me, same speed 5G is fine ish for now, with the assumption it expands and gets better.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
@duckman2008 I got a different more unlocked LG G8X with dual screen. It was a different submodel. This one is tits on verizon. I got about 170MB late at night on '4G' and its very stable on the network. Sweet!

[edit] brand new Sim card too.. support said it matters, so i got one

redeyes fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 8, 2020

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
Oh btw I got my 5G sim and it only took a short call to phone support to get it activated on my Pixel 5. As expected my home in in the northeast only has 4G and it's around 12.5/2.5 when I run it inside. So either the tower density or backhaul is pretty poor.

Edit:Which is to say I expect to see regular 5G no sooner than a couple years from now.

waffle iron fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Nov 8, 2020

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Silly Burrito posted:

Duckman, if I have the $40 military discount on my account but want to switch from Go Unlimited on three lines to Start on 2 lines and Play More on the third, how do I ensure that the discount doesn’t get removed or changed?

The only reason I ask is because I had another $10 military discount that went away when I tried to add my state employee discount, not knowing that it would wipe that out. Then even after reversing that and six months of trying they never could restore that discount. It’s made me gun shy of making any changes whatsoever.

Duckman2008 posted:

The $40 off is a grandfathered military discount code. So that is account level, not plan level, and doesn’t go away with plan changes (it would go away if you filed for a different work discount though yeah). It *should* stick moving to the start and play more plans. If you want to be sure (I don’t blame you), call care and they can confirm it over the phone before switching it.

Want to follow up on this post from a few months ago. I never did make the switch, but I'm thinking about doing it now. However, when I just called, they told me that if I switched to 1 Play More and 2 Start Unlimiteds, my military discount would go down from $40 to $25. She said it has been like that for at least a month. Would you know if that's a new change, or a CSR that had incorrect information? I don't want to make the switch if it drops my discount down $15, that would defeat the purpose of me doing so. Thanks!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I dunno if this is the right place to post this or not but here goes:

Bought an iPhone 11 Pro in February, in May I begin to have an intermittent problem where my GPS is not tracking my movement. It finds me mostly fine but while navigating, the gps stops as if it cannot see me moving then warps ahead, then freezes, etc. I am a package courier that runs a lot of different routes, so this is a major problem.

I go through customer support with both Verizon and Apple to troubleshoot it, trying everything they each recommend and eventually doing a factory reset, and still the problem persists. Eventually Apple replaces the phone through Apple Care, sending me a refurb unit and I send my defective one back.

The replacement phone behaves perfectly for months.

Then, last month, the problem hits again, with the exact same behavior. I'm furious with my phone. I snap buy a Pixel 4a out of frustration since I assume the iPhone 11 Pro just has a lovely gps antenna or something.

And this week, the Pixel 4a is doing it. It's just the network. It must be.

I have an older Verizon L Data plan for about 6gb. I have 2+ gb remaining for my current billing data, so I know that's not it. My browsing speeds seem fine, I don't think I'm being throttled. The problem seemingly hits randomly, independent of my signal strength to the tower. It'll last for a couple days then go back to being perfect, all in the same area.

Has anyone seen or experienced anything like this? I have used Verizon GPS consistently all day 5-6 days a week for years and have never seen a phone behave like this before this past summer, much less two phones from two different manufacturers. I still have over a year on my current contract, and I'm not sure what to do.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Id start with a couple things, turn off AGPS, so location set to GPS ONLY. Try and then put the device into airplane mode and get a GPS lock. If at this point it looses GPS, its your area having interference with the GPS signals, not the cell phone network.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

redeyes posted:

Id start with a couple things, turn off AGPS, so location set to GPS ONLY. Try and then put the device into airplane mode and get a GPS lock. If at this point it looses GPS, its your area having interference with the GPS signals, not the cell phone network.

Not sure if that’s an option on the iPhone, I’ll have to try it on the Pixel. It’s weird that both are presenting the exact problem though.

Also, fwiw, the Pixel performs noticeably worse, really never “warping” to where I am. And it’s a lot more front facing about LOST SIGNAL TO GPS messages on the screen.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 10, 2020

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Soul Glo posted:

Not sure if that’s an option on the iPhone, I’ll have to try it on the Pixel. It’s weird that both are presenting the exact problem though.

Also, fwiw, the Pixel performs noticeably worse, really never “warping” to where I am. And it’s a lot more front facing about LOST SIGNAL TO GPS messages on the screen.

Are you one of those people that turns Bluetooth/Wifi on and off to save battery or do you leave them both on all the time?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

TheWevel posted:

Are you one of those people that turns Bluetooth/Wifi on and off to save battery or do you leave them both on all the time?

They’re both on. I went through that whole rigamarole with Verizon and Apple’s customer service reps.

Seeing the same behavior in Airplane Mode using offline maps, on the iPhone at least.

I should also note I’ve seen this problem present all over the area. At least five different zip codes. I can drive maybe 150-200 miles a route and have seen it on multiple routes.

Then it’ll disappear and be fine for days or weeks then come right back.

It is loving weird.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Yeah that's pretty weird. The only other thing I can think of is when you're in the car, go to the compass app and try to recalibrate but I don't even know if iOS lets you do that anymore.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

TheWevel posted:

Yeah that's pretty weird. The only other thing I can think of is when you're in the car, go to the compass app and try to recalibrate but I don't even know if iOS lets you do that anymore.

It doesnt. Theres a compass option in location services which I’ve cycled, along with every other location and data toggle in the phone.

Like it’s so random that yesterday the Pixel was useless so I pulled out the iPhone which I’d been bringing with me in my bag just in case, swapped the SIM over during my lunch, it worked perfectly for three hours and THEN started hitching and pausing and not being able to track me. It’s maddening.

Being a courier I’ll have 100+ stops in areas I barely know and the one thing I need my phone to do is loving up during the busiest time of the busiest year. :argh:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Sorry for the double post:

So our lovely Android based package scanner gets new apps from time to time. Last week they put a navigation app on it, and I’ve never booted it. Just did, threw my next stop in there, and the entire way there this little thing just keeps saying:

GPS SIGNAL LOST

So I’ve gotta be dealing with some sort of outside GPS interference, right? The lovely work scanner found where I was, found where I needed to go, but could not track me there— the same behavior I’m getting on my phones.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Silly Burrito posted:

Want to follow up on this post from a few months ago. I never did make the switch, but I'm thinking about doing it now. However, when I just called, they told me that if I switched to 1 Play More and 2 Start Unlimiteds, my military discount would go down from $40 to $25. She said it has been like that for at least a month. Would you know if that's a new change, or a CSR that had incorrect information? I don't want to make the switch if it drops my discount down $15, that would defeat the purpose of me doing so. Thanks!

I thought it still gave you the $40, but it could have changed. I can always check for you if you want to PM me your number (give a few days turn around time).

Soul, I’ll be honest, I have no idea why you are having that GPS issue. Assuming you have co workers in the area, do they have the same issue on both the same and different carriers ?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Soul Glo posted:

Sorry for the double post:

So our lovely Android based package scanner gets new apps from time to time. Last week they put a navigation app on it, and I’ve never booted it. Just did, threw my next stop in there, and the entire way there this little thing just keeps saying:

GPS SIGNAL LOST

So I’ve gotta be dealing with some sort of outside GPS interference, right? The lovely work scanner found where I was, found where I needed to go, but could not track me there— the same behavior I’m getting on my phones.

Im pretty sure it is interference. Not much you can do about that sadly.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Duckman2008 posted:

I thought it still gave you the $40, but it could have changed. I can always check for you if you want to PM me your number (give a few days turn around time).

Thanks! Sent you a PM, appreciate it as always.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

redeyes posted:

Im pretty sure it is interference. Not much you can do about that sadly.

I did not know interference was a thing until you posted about it, thank you so much.

I really dont want to jinx it but after you mentioned interference I tested using nav on my scanner with my phone off and still had the problem.

Then I thought about the truck’s gps. It has a receiver taped to the dashboard. Every truck has had them for a year or two, and maybe they just turned them on? Maybe there’s more interference going on outside the truck and it’s just too much? Figured it was worth a try so I ripped that fucker up off the dash and turned it upside down and bam— phone’s working perfectly.

It could be coincidence, but even using offline maps with no signal has been fine for the past hour.

If this stays fixed I know what to do the next time I get this stupid poo poo: gently caress with company property. (It’s just taped down, I can fix it after every shift.)

Thanks thread!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Whoa seriously? Nice detective work. Usually the interference isn't coming from INSIDE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Does Verizon ever do Black Friday style sales on IPads? We are looking at getting a cellular iPad but wanted to wait in case we could get it cheaper?