Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Some good fuckin moments there. Uran at the Louvre was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Dowsett is having another go at the hour record

https://twitter.com/alexdowsett/status/1326194168759246849?s=19

Edit:
Having nerded out over some advanced stats I am giving him very little chance of doing it. Air pressure in December and him being at sea level Vs Campenaerts at altitude is too much imo.

Loving Africa Chaps fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 10, 2020

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
But have you considered Campenaerts is a massive wasteman OP?

For real though he 100% knows Ganna is going to go for it after the Olympics so this might be his one shot of having it for a few months again.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I thought Ganna didn't see the attraction?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

goatface posted:

ganna will probably accidentally break it during a rest day ride

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

goatface posted:

Ineos will ask him to do it for Marketing.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

He's put out a video saying he's signed a new contract, but under wraps who it is (so not ISN then)

Update: it was ISN

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Why would that have been secret?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

goatface posted:

Why would that have been secret?

Assume he was still negotiating the contract or just wanted to boost views for his YouTube channel, was pretty obvious he'd extended as he was wearing the kit for his hour record promo

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKaWVZllkVI

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
that’s just Lars van der Haar

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
Alternative title for the video is "Good Dog motivates racers at Vlaamse Druivencross"

:colbert:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Dowsett's hour record attempt is postponed due to him having the rona

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Sad trombones.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://cyclingtips.com/2020/11/zwi...LRzgkJ3lQJM8Ecg

Data doping is the next big thing in Zwift racing. The UCI will be round to calibrate your power meters soon.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

serious gaylord posted:

Data doping is the next big thing in Zwift racing. The UCI will be round to calibrate your power meters soon.

DCRainmaker's take

"Well, the definition of ‘now’ is probably important here. After all, nobody knew about this in public until Caley’s article. According to Zwift though, Caley was in turn tipped off to the details by someone in the Zwift community (probably another racer). But also according to Zwift, the details of these have apparently been published for a while."

Fun fact: I am (probably another racer)

Another fun fact: There is virtual sock height enforcement in the Pro-Am invitational Zwift races.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Nov 20, 2020

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Tobin is Deep Tube.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

serious gaylord posted:

It's really not, this is just people failing to submit data correctly (more likely due to technical fuckups rather than hiding dodgy data, due to happening in innocuous events on a single occasion) but then lying about it.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Vando posted:

It's really not, this is just people failing to submit data correctly (more likely due to technical fuckups rather than hiding dodgy data, due to happening in innocuous events on a single occasion) but then lying about it.

Nah, it's a real problem. As you said these two riders were people who weren't practiced at cheating and were just trying to cover-up their pairing fuckups. The fact that there's only two sanctions despite a large number of elite Zwift racers putting up mind boggling numbers in Pro-Am events just means that people are cheating and getting away with it.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Vando posted:

What makes you think people wont cheat at Zwift when they do all the time in every other form of cycling?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

It's pretty easy to do stuff like adjust the resistance of your turbo so it dramatically under/over measures power. There's a reason they need two sources of data.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I mean it's not the 'next big thing' because it's always been a thing, not that it's not a thing. It's the same as how you can always get away with a shitload more in real cycling, or indeed any sport, below the elite level.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Honestly it seems like these people are really dumb and bad at cheating. If anything, Zwift is telling people how to cheat better by listing how they screwed up at cheating.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Honestly it seems like these people are really dumb and bad at cheating. If anything, Zwift is telling people how to cheat better by listing how they screwed up at cheating.

Much like the UCI announcing the legal hematocrit levels in the 90's I suspect that's the purpose rather than a negative side effect. Cheating badly and obviously harms the brand, cheating well doesn't.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
There's a nice little row in Dutch media as it has become apparent that the Dutch cylcing union has been keeping apositive EPO test under tabs for over 9 years because the rider just pensioned immediately. They have however not released the riders name, just confirmed the incident, so now every Dutch racer is bombarded on the socials because people are really retarded.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Dope your zwift data with this 30 minute project using only a household mixer and some duct tape.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Rojkir posted:

There's a nice little row in Dutch media as it has become apparent that the Dutch cylcing union has been keeping apositive EPO test under tabs for over 9 years because the rider just pensioned immediately. They have however not released the riders name, just confirmed the incident, so now every Dutch racer is bombarded on the socials because people are really retarded.

So who is it?

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I don't know if I navigated PCS correctly, but this is the only Dutch rider I could find who retired in 2011 exactly (depending on what "over 9 years" means, 2010 would also be up for grabs). And he was 34 at the time, so idk

e: 2010 gets us these extra three guys:
https://www.procyclingstats.com/rider/servais-knaven on noted clean Team Milram
https://www.procyclingstats.com/rider/gerben-lowik Rabobank :thunk:
https://www.procyclingstats.com/rider/koos-moerenhout Rabobank :thunk:

Smirr fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 20, 2020

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Smirr posted:

I don't know if I navigated PCS correctly, but this is the only Dutch rider I could find who retired in 2011 exactly (depending on what "over 9 years" means, 2010 would also be up for grabs). And he was 34 at the time, so idk

e: 2010 gets us these extra three guys:
https://www.procyclingstats.com/rider/servais-knaven on noted clean Team Milram
https://www.procyclingstats.com/rider/gerben-lowik Rabobank :thunk:
https://www.procyclingstats.com/rider/koos-moerenhout Rabobank :thunk:

Teams
2010 Omega Pharma-Lotto (WT)

Right there in the open!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
None of them were setting the world on fire.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Knaven was really good even if he usually was on classics support rider role. He's probably the most notable and Mapei/QS aren't exactly squeaky clean.

IIRC he was one of those Andrea Tafi types where they were the kind of secondary/support classics riders who were good enough to win on their own if necessary.

E) knaven is currently a DS for Ineos :thunk:

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 20, 2020

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

My money is also on Knaven, given that he retired in the middle of the season, and also that he then almost immediately became a directeur sportif for Team Sky

e: beaten :sweatdrop:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Tbh I never get the fans who go nuts over a 90s/00s rider using EPO at this point. Like when Laurent Jalabert was named as a 1998 TDF positive and it was like, dude did anyone seriously think Laurent loving Jalabert was clean? The guy with maybe the most absurd palmares sheet not named Eddy Merckx? And who spent most of his career with loving ONCE?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think the only notable rider from the 90s I think might have been clean was Andrei Tchmil because he was too hard to dope and also Lotto back then were too lovely to dope. Iirc they didn't even have a team doctor until hilariously late and none of their other riders were worth a poo poo for most of the 90s.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Anyone from the 90s who you ever heard of 100% doped, it's not even a scandal to find that out at this point.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

That was the most fun part of this data dive: seeing all the old team names and all the old riders from that era and going ":hmmyes: it could have been all of them"

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Did knaven replace Sean Yates at sky?

Also Simon Freemantle is currently denying he knew that testosterone was performance enhancing so he's given up on keeping his medical license. I think we're up to 5 laptops now too.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
Addy Engels (Eddy English) and Servais Knaven Both would be a pretty big deal. Addy works at jumbo-visma who actively try not to employ former dopers. Knaven, who I've known as het last Dutch winner of Paris roubaix until Terpstra squeezed in, was actually really good and has been working for sky which would fit the narrative better. Still it might have been a nobody or a women even, the story is in the wichhunt for every active cyclist at that time.

Rojkir fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Nov 21, 2020

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Knaven would be more explosive as to continue working for Sky he had to sign a 'I've never doped' thing which as far as I know is a legally binding document and he'll get sued off the face of the Earth. Its why a bunch of their DS's quit the team back in 2012.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Eurosport is currently 19.99 for any uk goons

https://promo.eurosport.com/promo/a...o2IVzKD_7EEMwHQ