Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

TraderStav posted:

Catching up on all the posts and it's very clear that I need to watch Clone Wars and Rebels. Should I start with the 2003 series or ignore that? I saw someone mention watching seasons 5-7 or something but the 2008 series only has 4, so confused as to where to start.

The 2003 miniseries is great but it's part of the old canon. Next to nothing to do with the 2008 series. I'd still watch it because you get a lot of great Samurai Jack fights and Shaggy from Scooby Doo gets murdered by the best Grievous.

2008 series has 5 full seasons and 2 half seasons (Season 6 is titled "the lost episodes" and Season 7 is four story arcs packaged as one season)

Rebels has four seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
For what it's worth, I don't think she's a full-on Nazi. She just seems like an idiot who's been convinced by the seemingly "logical" surface-level poo poo they use to sway dumb fence-sitters.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

TraderStav posted:

Catching up on all the posts and it's very clear that I need to watch Clone Wars and Rebels. Should I start with the 2003 series or ignore that? I saw someone mention watching seasons 5-7 or something but the 2008 series only has 4, so confused as to where to start.

Watch the 2003 series at your leisure because it's well-done, and to understand why some of the art choices in the CGI series are the way they are.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Arcsquad12 posted:

The 2003 miniseries is great but it's part of the old canon. Next to nothing to do with the 2008 series. I'd still watch it because you get a lot of great Samurai Jack fights and Shaggy from Scooby Doo gets murdered by the best Grievous.

2008 series has 5 full seasons and 2 half seasons (Season 6 is titled "the lost episodes" and Season 7 is four story arcs packaged as one season)

Rebels has four seasons.

Whoops, had them backwards! I start with the 2008 (going to do the movie and short episodes before Season 1, Rebels, and then circle back for 2003 for funsies. Been looking for something fun to watch with the kids anyway.

Thanks!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

TraderStav posted:

Whoops, had them backwards! I start with the 2008 (going to do the movie and short episodes before Season 1, Rebels, and then circle back for 2003 for funsies. Been looking for something fun to watch with the kids anyway.

Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF3ocZu4cZo

Clone Wars 2003 is a great 2 hour feature if you want to prep your kids.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Phylodox posted:

For what it's worth, I don't think she's a full-on Nazi. She just seems like an idiot who's been convinced by the seemingly "logical" surface-level poo poo they use to sway dumb fence-sitters.

I dunno, anyone who derives pleasure from “triggering the libs” is just like 1 frog meme away from just saying a hate crime. It’s late 2020, I genuinely believe we are past giving adults who straddle the line the benefit of the doubt. Especially if by her own admission Pedro sat down with her and told her why what she posted was hosed up and she’s still doing it. I’m usually extremely anti-cancel culture but she’s just being so blatant about it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Carano has been Liking and Retweeting poo poo calling for violence against Antifascist protestors; she absolutely 100% knows what side she's on

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

TraderStav posted:

You don't need to. You won't be missing out on anything moving forward. If you want to enrich your Mandalorian experience with supplementary content, then yeah, Clone Wars/Rebels can do just that. Clone Wars is pretty rough until Season 3 though. General rule of thumb is that the 10th episode of S3 when Ahsoka gets an outfit upgrade is where the show starts to find its footing, so if you're willing to slog through the first 2 seasons, it's a solid ride through to the Season 7 finale.

That said, someone linked this curated Clone Wars episode list earlier: https://areyoubadenough.blogspot.com/2015/03/the-essential-clone-wars-episodes.html

I looked over it. Seems solid enough that I'm gonna follow it with a few friends over Discord who haven't seen the show :) Deffo gonna skip the movie though.

[edit] Watch all of Rebels. It owns.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

teagone posted:

You don't need to. You won't be missing out on anything moving forward. If you want to enrich your Mandalorian experience with supplementary content, then yeah, Clone Wars/Rebels can do just that. Clone Wars is pretty rough until Season 3 though. General rule of thumb is that the 10th episode of S3 when Ahsoka gets an outfit upgrade is where the show starts to find its footing, so if you're willing to slog through the first 2 seasons, it's a solid ride through to the Season 7 finale.

That said, someone linked this curated episode list earlier: https://areyoubadenough.blogspot.com/2015/03/the-essential-clone-wars-episodes.html

I looked over it. Seems solid enough that I'm gonna follow it with a few friends over Discord who haven't seen the show :) Deffo gonna skip the movie though.

Well, who knows what other material they’re going to pull from the series.

I’m also a completionist. I must see it all, or none!

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

The 2003 series is very uneven. It’s incredibly highly stylized animation with mostly bad storytelling and occasional cool moments. If you liked Samurai Jack or Sym-Bionic Titan you’ll be fine with it cause it’s the same dude and storytelling style. As a Star Wars series, it can best be described as “weird.”

Lots of lingering close-ups on motionless characters and faces, very little music, sporadic bursts of action, minimal dialogue.

Bad: Threepio reveals his new paint job by doing a literal striptease complete with sultry music. Theres space jousting which is stupid as hell but kind of cool? They have a multi-part episode to introduce and defeat a new pointless villain that has zero impact on anything else. There’s an incredibly weird and overly long subplot with Avatar aliens that’s only there to show that Anakin is angry. Dooku says “indeed” a lot and I’m pretty sure that’s his only dialogue twice in a row.

Good: Space battles are awesome. Animated lightsaber duels are clunky but fun to watch. We meet Ventress. Grievous owns. Clones own. The Windu episode linked above is stupid and cool. Battle of Coruscant is fantastic and shows everything leading up to almost the literal moment Episode III starts, but it’s interspersed with said stupid blue mole people subplot.

So basically a lot of downtime and pointless poo poo with cool bits peppered in. Each episode of the first season is only 5 minutes long so it’s not like you’re investing a ton of time.

Hazo fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 14, 2020

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

teagone posted:

:hmmyes:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd argue that Clone Wars 08 found its footing by the end of the first season. It's uneven with some bad Jar Jar episodes and the terrible Blue Shadow Virus story arc, but the Malevolence arc, Rookies, Lair of Grievous and the Ryloth campaign episodes are fantastic.

Season 2 is still somewhat uneven but it does have the fun (if pointless) retread of Geonosis and some really strong Rex episodes. Also, Seth Green plays an unwitting suicide bomber droid.

I never found any one season to really be the best in Clone Wars, but I do tend to veer towards the earlier seasons being better in my mind because I was a fan of the wider scope of the war. The later seasons become a lot more focused on Anakin, Obi-Wan and Ahsoka and I think they lose a lot in the process by not taking time to develop certain relationships outside of the main trio. Fives literally only got a character arc after every other member of Domino squad had died.

Watch them all and make up your own mind, really.

I was not able to get into Rebels at all. The animation was incredibly off putting in the first season (everyone's mouths are so expressive you'd think they'd all dislocated their jaws) and even by the end I felt the cinematography was not up to par with what had been achieved with Clone Wars. Why are all the dogfights in Rebels so slow??? Its like they're flying through molasses.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 14, 2020

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Rebels is way worse than 08 Clone Wars, by a lot, and Clone Wars is never watch-every-episode good either. But when it’s good, it’s definitely pretty good. There’s only a couple episodes of Rebels that I would recommend to anyone older than 10.

03 Clone Wars is kind of out of step with the later stuff but also introduces one fairly important character for 08 (Ventress). The 08 Clone Wars movie reintroduces her but it sucks and isn’t nearly as good an intro. So watch 03 for that.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

08 Clone Wars owns, and 03 does as well based solely on the Mace Windu/Mean Joe Green Coke commercial episode. I couldn't stand Rebels, though. I worked on FFG's Star Wars RPG for its whole run, and when it came time to work on Rebels stuff I negotiated money for buying episodes into my contract because I refused to watch it unless I got paid to do so. I just didn't give a poo poo about Space Aladdin or about his dead parents or about his hero's journey. Only thing good about that show is Captain Hera and that one episode with the B-Wing.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Season 1 of Rebels is pretty forgettable. Like, I literally forgot what happened. It gets better in Season 2 but Ezra is still a toolbox regardless.

Chopper is the best droid in Star Wars though

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXysTgaxr_8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5QvfQeZPP0

This is one of the places where you can take Lucas's meme-worthy "faster, more intense" statement and see it applied properly. I know one is atmospheric and the other is in vacuum but still, the sheer speed and ferocity from the Geonosis clip is nowhere in the Rebels clip.

EDIT:

gently caress I forgot about the Irish space lemur hippies that George Takei wanted to incinerate.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 14, 2020

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

PunkBoy posted:

My favorite little bit, though, was Bo-Katan's "This is the Way" when she forced Mando to help take the ship. Katee Sackhoff absolutely nailed that line. That was Starbuck-levels of smug.

She's got a couple of moments where she flashes one of her iconic grins or smirks, this show is just having her hold them much, much shorter than BSG did. You can even see her do one or two with a helmet on. Because it's Katee loving Sackhoff and she smirk like that.

Cartoon Man posted:

They literally invented a whole new technology to film this show on the cheap, it should get better as the seasons go on and they refine and expand upon it. I’m not surprised they’ve mostly stuck with desert planet, ice planet, water planet, and such for now.

Season 3 should be using Unreal Engine 5, which is going to let them go super complex for textures and shot composition.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 14, 2020

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Favorite part of Rebels was its demonstration of an orbital bombardment...

...which...gave us tiny piffs of dust clouds on impact despite there already having gorgeous fiery ground-based explosions they could've used to show it actually being effective a few episodes prior

But according to the Thrawn novels, apparently atmosphere dampens the force of lasers or something?

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXysTgaxr_8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5QvfQeZPP0

This is one of the places where you can take Lucas's meme-worthy "faster, more intense" statement and see it applied properly. I know one is atmospheric and the other is in vacuum but still, the sheer speed and ferocity from the Geonosis clip is nowhere in the Rebels clip.

EDIT:

gently caress I forgot about the Irish space lemur hippies that George Takei wanted to incinerate.

God, that Rebels fight is so slow. The pacing is awful. Also, what's a spec-ops freighter pilot like Hera doing flying an X-Wing? What's loving Ezra doing piloting an X-wing for that matter? Ugh, god, that show sucks so much. Still better than whatever that weird Borderlands-looking show that came out after it was, though.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://decider.com/2020/11/12/the-mandalorian-frog-lady-should-replace-gina-carano-cara-dune/

quote:

‘The Mandalorian’ Should Replace Gina Carano with Frog Lady

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
They're probably trying to decide if it's worth getting involved at all. If they decide it's more trouble than it's worth to keep her character written in the show they'll cut her, but if they expect the chuds to whine loudly enough about "silencing our voices" they won't do anything. At most they'll silently axe the character.

Also, is there a rebels watch guide? I've found a couple for clone wars but none for the other show.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

TraderStav posted:

Should I start with the 2003 series or ignore that?

The 2003 series is, as someone said, old-Canon but it does dovetail neatly into the beginning of Revenge of the Sith. The later series is currently "true", but about the only thing that doesn't fit is the Anakin-Ventriss fight in the earlier series. Everything else, especially making General Grievous a badass, fits just fin with current Canon. Yes, the Mace Windu stuff too. :colbert:

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

skasion posted:

Where’s the best place to get into the Dr Aphra stuff

She's okay in the Vader comic, but don't spend money on the actual Aphra comic that spun off of it if you can borrow it. She should translate to a live action show well if the people working on The Mandalorian do it, but the comic is awkwardly bad.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

If Cara survives this season she could easily be recast. Just have her face/voice surgically altered as a callback to that okayish Obi-wan arc in Clone Wars.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Can confirm this episode was good for adults who don't watch cartoons too.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Phylodox posted:

Yeah, if you have the time and interest to read comics, Marvel Unlimited is, like, a ridiculously good value for your money.

Hell yes. I rarely read comics anymore, but Marvel Unlimited is still the biggest bang for your buck subscription service on my very long list of subscription services.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

teagone posted:

That said, someone linked this curated Clone Wars episode list earlier: https://areyoubadenough.blogspot.com/2015/03/the-essential-clone-wars-episodes.html

I just watched the first two episodes of CW and they're really good! If that is what you call rough until Season 3, I'm really optimistic about the back half of the show!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Can confirm this episode was good for adults who don't watch cartoons too.

I also really enjoyed the episode and as said above had never watched any of the animated stuff. But it definitely made me really really interested in all of it.

One of these days I want to dive into the EU as well, but I imagine that's a gigantic undertaking.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Old EU is by and large not worth it. There are some good books and comics and quite a few good games but they’re half sunk in an ocean of tedious bullshit

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

skasion posted:

Old EU is by and large not worth it. There are some good books and comics and quite a few good games but they’re half sunk in an ocean of tedious bullshit

Is there a 'new' EU? If there were I wouldn't mind seeing what that entailed and maybe start diving into those books and comics.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

TraderStav posted:

I just watched the first two episodes of CW and they're really good! If that is what you call rough until Season 3, I'm really optimistic about the back half of the show!

It's more that it's very uneven. Every season of Clone Wars (and Rebels too, to a lesser extent) have some really, really, really lovely episodes, and the first two seasons have a higher number of those than others.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Honestly the new EU isn't any better than the old EU. You pick and choose what you want to read watch or play and go from there. I'm sure there's someone out there who will defend Aftermath's herkily jerkily tie fighters.

Outside of major "event" series like New Jedi Order or Legacy/Fate of the Jedi books, most tend to be standalone novels or series that don't expect you to do your homework before reading them. Some are good, some are bad, some will spark flame wars if you bring them up.

Ask in the Book Barn bugnest orgy thread for some recommendations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

TraderStav posted:

Is there a 'new' EU? If there were I wouldn't mind seeing what that entailed and maybe start diving into those books and comics.

The old EU was rebranded “Legends” and everything in it made not canon when Disney got Star Wars. The “Legends” name is rarely used in my experience and it’s just called old EU, compared to the New EU which is all the books and comics released since then.

The Old/Legends canon is hit and miss. Stuff than the Thrawn trilogy (Which were basically the sequel trilogy of the old EU) or the X-wing series are usually well regarded, as are stuff like the novelization of Revenge of the Sith, Darth Plagueis, and Shatterpoint, to name a few books at semi-random. Some of those are downright excellent, particularly the Wraith Squadron books of the X-wing series. Of course, there’s also stuff like the novel Darksaber (It’s from the mid-90’s and has zero to do with the dark saber sword from Mandalorian and elsewhere) which is chock full of every bad EU stereotype you can think of or seen referenced on the internet, and some of the chronologically later stuff is dark and weird, or the whole 20-book New Jedi Order series which is mixed.

The new EU canon, like the old, is hit and miss. Some books and authors are good, others ain’t. I’ve liked the From a Certain Point of View collections, everything by Claudia Gray has been well liked by the Star Wars EU thread in Book Barn IIRC, and I’ll still read Zahn’s new canon Thrawn books for the hell of it. On the other side, you have Wendig’s second person awkward Aftermath books, and others that people say are mediocre as well.

Keep in mind I’m just taking about novels. Both canons have tons of comics too, and the same applies to all them as well.

In short, there’s a lot out there, some is good, some isn’t, but it’s worth peeking into if you find stuff you like.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

TraderStav posted:

Almost all of the Marvel comic series are worth a read

Here's everything in roughly chronological order

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A personal recommendation for the Old EU is Jango Fett: Open Seasons.

Most of it still works in the New EU and it's one of the first places where the warring clans of Mandalore show up, notably the pre Clone Wars Death Watch.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Bust Rodd posted:

I dunno, anyone who derives pleasure from “triggering the libs” is just like 1 frog meme away from just saying a hate crime. It’s late 2020, I genuinely believe we are past giving adults who straddle the line the benefit of the doubt. Especially if by her own admission Pedro sat down with her and told her why what she posted was hosed up and she’s still doing it. I’m usually extremely anti-cancel culture but she’s just being so blatant about it.

The go-to term for conservatives (at least on this site) is Chud, for the movie Cannabilistic, Humanoid Underground Dwellers. I'd say that the pleasure at "triggering" the other side is a bit mutual.

People are allowed to believe dumb, even bad things. We tolerate that because "drat" and "bad" can be quite relative. Plenty of people consider immigration to be dumb and bad. Ditto abortion.

As far as Ms. Carano joining Parler, I'm fine with it. Eventually she'll post something or have a scene in something or just be a person with a vagina that'll trigger those people and they'll dogpile her. Nothing quite turns a person against a bunch of Nazi dogs than getting bitten by them.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 14, 2020

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

As Nero Danced posted:

They're probably trying to decide if it's worth getting involved at all. If they decide it's more trouble than it's worth to keep her character written in the show they'll cut her, but if they expect the chuds to whine loudly enough about "silencing our voices" they won't do anything. At most they'll silently axe the character.

Also, is there a rebels watch guide? I've found a couple for clone wars but none for the other show.

Just watch it start to finish. Even the mediocre episodes aren't THAT terrible and you'll quickly move on from them.

One of the reasons there are Clone Wars guides is not just because there are downright awful episodes, it's that seasons 1-3 aired out of order, so the narrative doesn't make sense. I'm talking about stuff from season 3 that happens before episodes in season 1, that kind of disparity.

None of that is present in Rebels so you can just chug right through them.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The S1 finale of Clone Wars is the one that stands out since it's a high stakes plot with Cad Bane that doesn't get resolved until S3 and is immediately followed by a different story involving Cad Bane that actually introduces the character.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Much as I hate Ziro the Hutt i have to admit that turning Nal Hutta into space Louisiana made me laugh.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Its Rinaldo posted:

Chopper is the best droid in Star Wars though

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Ballz posted:

None of that is present in Rebels so you can just chug right through them.

Season One of Rebels is a bit slow, but it ramps up toward the end and the two-parter Season Two opening is when I became okay with Disney getting Star Wars because they let Darth Vader be a scary badass again.