Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

it's insane that i have to use a third party app for natural scrolling on trackpad, non-stupid scrolling on mouse wheel. but here we are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

I have to use a third party app to have functional side buttons on a non-poo poo mouse

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

it's insane that i have to use a third party app for natural scrolling on trackpad, non-stupid scrolling on mouse wheel. but here we are

i thought that osx had separate scrolling modes per device

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Shaggar posted:

i thought that osx had separate scrolling modes per device

nope, there are separate checkboxes in the trackpad and mouse settings screens but they toggle the same value

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lmao

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
it should be able to detect trackpad vs mouse and set it accordingly. just like it should have with tablet/desktop on windows 8 with it’s war crime of a start menu.

computers peaked with osx 10.6.8/Win7/the 2600K, burn it all down.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

gonna be a guinea pig for the 16gb-ram 512gb-storage arm mini but it wont ship for 3-4 weeks

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

FYI I'm using an app called Mos to fix the mouse scrolling direction, because Big Sur appears to have finally killed off ScrollReverser

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Clark Nova posted:

Big Sur appears to have finally killed off ScrollReverser

:negative:

but thanks for the tip re: mos

luckily there's basically no way i can free up enough space on this machine to download and install big sur so i don't have to worry

i'd be real tempted to get a new mini if they went to 32g of ram though. i still wouldn't actually _do_ it, but id be tempted

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Clark Nova posted:

FYI I'm using an app called Mos to fix the mouse scrolling direction, because Big Sur appears to have finally killed off ScrollReverser

lol Apple really does hate their users

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Achmed Jones posted:

i'd be real tempted to get a new mini if they went to 32g of ram though. i still wouldn't actually _do_ it, but id be tempted
they will eventually. could be pretty soon (<1 year). i don’t think we’ll see the huge gaps between mac mini (or any mac) updates like we have until they get a few iterations deep and figure out the high performance stuff

right now they want the low-end money first

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i received my mini iphone 12, for some reason it shipped with ios 14.1 and it's taking an inordinately long time to update before i can restore my backup. it's almost exactly the same size and wight as my iphone se (og), but it doesn't have touch id and it doesn't lay flat on the table. it's impossible to say if it's good or not

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

infernal machines posted:

i received my mini iphone 12, for some reason it shipped with ios 14.1 and it's taking an inordinately long time to update before i can restore my backup. it's almost exactly the same size and wight as my iphone se (og), but it doesn't have touch id and it doesn't lay flat on the table. it's impossible to say if it's good or not
i hope you end up liking it :-)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
me too. seems like a waste otherwise.

e: also can't use my phone to listen to music until monday at the earliest since timb decided not to ship a $10 headphone adapter with my $950 phone and the place that sells apple accessories down the street isn't open sundays

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 15, 2020

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

i just upgraded today from the good SE and i fear my new and large adult screen

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

actually jealous sort of

me too. seems like a waste otherwise.

e: also can't use my phone to listen to music until monday at the earliest since timb decided not to ship a $10 headphone adapter with my $950 phone and the place that sells apple accessories down the street isn't open sundays

too bad your speakers are broken

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

if they got consistent about doing a mini phone even every other year i’d get one and never look back

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

can you imagine if other gear had its own proprietary dongle for headphones

like if your nintendo switch had a $20 cable so you could play with ear buds

i've literally stopped listening to podcasts and such because i misplaced my dongle my last move. i loving hate it

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
friends, let me tell you about a little thing called bluetooth

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

The Management posted:

i have a dozen perfectly good pairs of headphones already

but yeah let me buy something i don't want that sounds great

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i have some good earbuds that works with anything else i might want to use earbuds with, and in fact worked with my apple telephone until just now. i can't imagine why i'd replace them with some bullshit i'd have to charge when i don't have to charge these and they work quite well, but i guess it's a $10 adapter or that

e: one noticeable improvement, when typing, the key under my finger is the one that's selected, rather than a random key in the six surrounding it. definitely better than the iphone se with ios 13+

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 15, 2020

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

courage

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lord funk posted:

i've literally stopped listening to podcasts and such because i misplaced my dongle my last move. i loving hate it

buy some bts, they're actually good now and i have real good headphones i still use

anyway they're hardly the first, i've had a bunch of phones that had mini-USB dongles for the headphone jack pre-iphone (lookin' at you HTC)

tbh i use bluetooths most of the time anyway and i still have the Good SE as my phone just because i manage to catch the wires on loving everything god drat these big cabinet handles

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

lord funk posted:

i have a dozen perfectly good pairs of headphones already

but yeah let me buy something i don't want that sounds great

just use the headphones that came with the phone

problem solved

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Doc Block posted:

just use the headphones that came with the phone

problem solved

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
:haw: :xd:

for srs tho, Lord Funk of all people should have a pair of lightning earbuds from a previous phone he can use.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 15, 2020

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

The Management posted:

it sucks

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

these days even the $40 taotronics earbuds I have work fine once paired

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I was having slow update problems too until I moved closer to my router. maybe try that op

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Juul-Whip posted:

I was having slow update problems too until I moved closer to my router. maybe try that op

i was updating from the computer running mac os, via usb. the update downloaded fine in a minute, installing took about half an hour for some reason

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

i like my powersbeats pros for podcasts and somafm at work, but yeah if i want to listen to music and really enjoy it i use wired sennheiser cans or else listen in my car i guess. for every thing there’s a season

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

in re headphone chat i recently washed my etymotics, p sad

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
you’re going to have to rip this bandaid off sometime. might as well do it now.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
a more informative post from the checkra1n dude about booting other operating systems

the most essential bit: you can't turn off secure boot, but you can put it into a permissive mode which allows you to enroll your own hashes, therefore, booting other operating systems is possible

quote:

So about those... (a bit of a primer on what that hardware looks like)

They don't run EFI but iBoot instead (but you can chainload to another bootloader if you want to, not prevented when Secure Boot is set to permissive). That permissive option doesn't technically turn off Secure Boot. It allows you to enroll your own hashes to the Secure Boot policy on the system w/ user authentication instead.

They also do not have EL3 (which is very useful to implement PSCI inside... (only EL2,EL1 and EL0). There's no Arm GIC as the interrupt controller, but Apple AIC instead.

Our strategy at checkra1n so far is, because they're modern Armv8.4 parts supporting nested virtualization, reserve EL2 to ourselves. The goal is having a thin hypervisor layer to simulate a standard interrupt controller, IOMMUs and PCIe ECAM-compliant controllers, which would be impossible to provide otherwise. (then UEFI + ACPI will run on top, preferably with CPPC for power scaling). This approach will allow, at a minor performance cost for VMs, to reduce the amount of work necessary.

Another nice tidbit is that iBoot loads the firmware for the GPU and all the other on-SoC blocks before passing through control from iBoot. This removes the concerns on whether that firmware is redistributable or not in practice.

However, reversing all of those blocks will take quite some work, I hope that Apple will end up providing documentation.

Does that plan look not too insane? (however, it'll take a while to bear its fruits)

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I got the iPhone 12 mini edition and I say it’s a good upgrade from the 7

MagSafe is confusing though

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Silver Alicorn posted:

MagSafe is confusing though

loving magsafe how does it work

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I’m waiting for a MagSafe compatible case in the exact shade of purple I want

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

lord funk posted:

I'm pretty sure some nintendo handheld did have a dongle or adapter, I don't remember which one it was though

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

BobHoward posted:

a more informative post from the checkra1n dude about booting other operating systems

the most essential bit: you can't turn off secure boot, but you can put it into a permissive mode which allows you to enroll your own hashes, therefore, booting other operating systems is possible

neat. it sounds like the same setup as efi secureboot, but not efi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'm pretty sure some nintendo handheld did have a dongle or adapter, I don't remember which one it was though

it's a dongle and half of it connects to your cellphone because there was no way to do voice chat via the switch itself