Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Trabisnikof posted:

the film blob is still enjoyable even if the pacing and special effects are out dated

I think if anything deserves a remake, it's The Blob. Shapeless monster busts through a movie screen and consumes everyone on Main St in a small town– it's great stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

Egg Moron posted:

Battletruck is directed by Harvey Cokeliss who was the second unit director on The Empire Strikes Back and also directed the weird tommy lee jones/linda hamilton movie Black Moon Rising which was written by john carpenter

also the bizarre british horror movie Dream Demon

also the intensely satisfying Burt Reynolds action thriller Malone (1987)

I just watched Bad Moon Rising recently. Cokeliss has a great visual style

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Falukorv posted:

Whats the issue some of you have with moviebob? Know next to nothing about the guy besides him being a critic and vaguely recognizing his twitter profile. Feels like im missing some context but im always up for some gossip.

He's basically every possible stereotype of a bad nerd rolled into one, from living in a basement, to wearing a fedora, to mindlessly defending old video games from his childhood as the best thing ever, to creepily trying to be an "ally" to gamer women in the hopes that they will reward him with sex...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fXqydQOz2o

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

the film blob is still enjoyable even if the pacing and special effects are out dated

The McQueen film? I'm watching that one tonight.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Toph Bei Fong posted:

He's basically every possible stereotype of a bad nerd rolled into one, from living in a basement, to wearing a fedora, to mindlessly defending old video games from his childhood as the best thing ever, to creepily trying to be an "ally" to gamer women in the hopes that they will reward him with sex...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fXqydQOz2o

Is he still a virgin?

A lot of Moviebob's politics make sense if you understand that he never got over being bullied in High School.

He's also the kind of guy who thinks that consuming mass-produced by committee superhero flicks is doing politics.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

bob has lots of extremely dumb opinions but hes mostly become a target bc he has an almost glinner-esque case of twitter derangement but without the terf poo poo

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I’ve never seen anything he’s done in the wild but so far bob seems like the sort of guy who’d tweet something like “people say eat the rich, but maybe we should really be saying eating the poor, for several reasons, primary being the rich, unlike the poor, have ample means to pay their meal’s surviving family a finders fee, furthermore (1/12)” but it wouldn’t be intentional satire and would be nestled between a tweet criticizing the fur render on the meerkat in the new Lion King remake, and accidentally sharing a link to his favorite kink.com video, wherein a lady in stockades really wants to get at the erection dangling in front of her, but can’t.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so i just read an academic article about pride and prejudice and zombies and learned that the women learned how to fight zombies at a shaolin temple in china which is dumb but probably something i used to know which i just forgot about

the more important information learned is that there was apparently an entire trend of rewriting classic nineteenth century social novels into stupid nerdbait and im going to list some other titles from this trend with the caveat that no i am not making these up these are real books

android karenina
grave expectations
little vampire women

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

If you don't like JE, watch Vivarium

Yeah, I've seen it already, it was a better movie but still nothing to write home about.

I liked him in Richard Aoyade's Double, but it feels like since then he's been doing the exact same character in exact same type of movie, except each time it gets worse.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Some Guy TT posted:

so i just read an academic article about pride and prejudice and zombies and learned that the women learned how to fight zombies at a shaolin temple in china which is dumb but probably something i used to know which i just forgot about

the more important information learned is that there was apparently an entire trend of rewriting classic nineteenth century social novels into stupid nerdbait and im going to list some other titles from this trend with the caveat that no i am not making these up these are real books

android karenina
grave expectations
little vampire women

And Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter.

I only read, or attempted to read, Pride & Prejudice & Zombies but it was, unsurprisingly, awful. Literally the text of the original, with dick jokes and zombies inserted

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I watched the first episode of The Liberator on NetFlix, which is this WW2 drama about a US army unit composed of Mexicans and American-Indians that distinguished themselves despite their status as second-class citizens.

The main schtick is that it's shot with this cel-shaded comic-book filter that... well, makes everything look like it's from a comic book.

It was annoying at first, but then I realized that the blocking and the cinematography and the composition of each take was also done in such a way that it does look like panels of a comic book. It's hard to describe, but a lot of shots have a static camera position with a specific motion or action happening, and it's not strictly realistic. I think it works, and I enjoyed the episode, even if the lead character comes off as a little too white savior-ish.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

android karenina
grave expectations
little vampire women

i agree this is dumb BUT have to say that grave expectations is an s-tier pun

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

grate deceiver posted:

Yeah, I've seen it already, it was a better movie but still nothing to write home about.

I liked him in Richard Aoyade's Double, but it feels like since then he's been doing the exact same character in exact same type of movie, except each time it gets worse.

I didn't mean that you should watch Vivarium because it has a good Jesse Eisenberg performance, I meant you should watch it if you really hate him and want to watch him suffer.

I think he's a great actor and will watch him in anything.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
speaking of Jesse eisenberg, I thought adventureland with Ryan Reynolds and Kristen Stewart was good too

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Some Guy TT posted:

android karenina
grave expectations
little vampire women

there's a whole market for books you're expected to buy as a humourous gift and, god willing, never read

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Jesse Eisenberg plays Marcel Marceau in Resistance, a Holocaust thriller that came and went in March, and that’s... I dunno. I’m watching it for free as soon as I can find it.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

android karenina
grave expectations
little vampire women

i thought it was going to be the next big horrible hollywood trend when i saw thet trailer for the pride and prejudice and zombies movie

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

babypolis posted:

for a while it was a trend and it was horrifying yeah

there was also the horrid hansel and gretel movie where they are vampire hunters or some poo poo, and probably some other even worse movies ive forgotten

Wasn’t a plot point that Hansel & Gretel need to manage diabetes contracted during their time as children in the witches trap?

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Also they seem to be twins as children but as adults Gretel is somehow about fifteen years younger than Hansel.

After the success of Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland there was a wave of movies based on fairy tales or public domain fantasies. Some were straightforward but some were edgy and dark like Hansel and Gretel, Red Riding Hood, and Snow White & The Huntsman.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Action Jacktion posted:

Also they seem to be twins as children but as adults Gretel is somehow about fifteen years younger than Hansel.

After the success of Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland there was a wave of movies based on fairy tales or public domain fantasies. Some were straightforward but some were edgy and dark like Hansel and Gretel, Red Riding Hood, and Snow White & The Huntsman.

Terry Gilliam’s big follow up to Fear & Loathing was The Brothers Grimm, which is wild to think about.

Also, looking this up taught me he finally got his Don Quixote film made, which is kinda heartwarming.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Action Jacktion posted:

yeah i changed my post because the dark fantasy trend, while similar to the what Some Guy TT mentioned, wasnt really the same thing. more like a weird outgrowth that thankfully died in the crib

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

mysterious frankie posted:

Also, looking this up taught me he finally got his Don Quixote film made, which is kinda heartwarming.

Gilliam is a rear end in a top hat now and I would be perfectly happy if he never gets to make another movie.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Tonight I am watching my first early John waters' film. It will be multiple maniacs since that is what is on HBO Max.

Earlier I watched Anchors Aweigh. It is a bit long, but the song and dance numbers were very enjoyable. The movie also tap dances around the plot being about 2 navy sailors trying to get laid. Gene Kelly's character is a massive jackass and womanizer. Sinatra's character is a very nice young man who is desperately wanting to lose his virginity because he nearly died.

Last night I watched The Man Who Knew Too Much. The ending is a hell of a 15 minutes.

Mr Hootington has issued a correction as of 00:29 on Nov 15, 2020

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Alhazred posted:

Gilliam is a rear end in a top hat now and I would be perfectly happy if he never gets to make another movie.

Wait, what did he do?

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Wait, what did he do?

he made The Zero Theorem

unforgivable.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Alhazred posted:

Gilliam turned a book that was about serious stuff and also drugs into a movie about drugs.

Sort of like if you made an American Psycho movie that was only about Patrick Bateman's fashion sense, worklife, and fancy restaurant meals.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gilliam turned a book that was about serious stuff and also drugs into a movie about drugs.

Sort of like if you made an American Psycho movie that was only about Patrick Bateman's fashion sense, worklife, and fancy restaurant meals.

What? I love falilv to bits but it really is just two fuckheads being idiots on massive amounts of drugs with an a+ page of musing on the death of the hippy dream shoehorned in about halfway through. The film was fine, but it was nothing if not faithful.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Wait, what did he do?

Called metoo a witch hunt, complained about men being oppressed, made a joke about identifying as a black trans woman.

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2020/01/04/monty-python-terry-gilliam-black-lesbian-transition-metoo-harvey-weinstein-holy-grail/

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

The Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter guy also wrote a book about The Three Kings saving Baby Jesus from evil monsters. I think it's something youngins would enjoy

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

I disagree. The movie version of Fear & Loathing is about what a privileged shithead Thompson is, how he abuses the working class without even thinking of the consequences, and is as much a contributor to the problems of the world as the people he blames.

Right at the beginning, he completely ignores the waiter who brings him the phone while leaving, while the waiter follows insisting that Thompson pay his bill, and gets a door in his face for the trouble. He steals the rental car guy's pen, after demonstrating that he has no regard for the vehicle he's renting. Just look at how much he steals from, destroys, or otherwise abuses the hotels. Working class people will have to clean up after him. As much as Thompson feels comradere with Christopher Meloni's hotel clerk abusing the little amount of power he has over the police chief, Thompson is ultimately a much bigger problem in terms of what the clerk will end up having to deal with later. Are Thompson's small scale thefts and abuses of people really all that much better or more morally permissable than the larger scale ones perpetraited by the people he criticzes? Does his being an artist and writer excuse his treatment of the working class?

Or, just watch the bit near the end in the diner, where, ignoring the guy outside getting beaten by the police, Dr. Gonzo sexually harasses, threatens, and terrorizes the waitress, just because he can. This woman isn't "The Man" or some rich entitled rear end in a top hat. She's someone who has had a very hard life, and is just trying to get by. Thompson could say something. He could do something. But instead, he just lets the abuse happen, and then slinks off while she stands there crying, nearly stealing his dinner plate, until he feels too ashamed to actually walk off with it and returns it, one of the only times he doesn't steal something when presented with the opportunity. This time what we see isn't funny; how must all those earlier times in the film must have looked from the victim's perspective?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

That's a lot of what I'm trying to get at, I think it's a darker, grosser, sparser novel than all the dumb Gilliam gloss and nonsense.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The poster above was making the point that all that stuff is in the movie. Do you have examples of things that were left out that shouldn't have been?

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

Right after I watched Fear and Loathing, I read a book called Dwarf Rapes Nun, Flees in UFO. There's a Hunter S. Thompson character in one chapter and he's an obnoxious prick that no one wants to be around

THS
Sep 15, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djQhaCtCsxw

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

sebmojo posted:

The poster above was making the point that all that stuff is in the movie. Do you have examples of things that were left out that shouldn't have been?

I don't think it's exactly an issue of completism, I think it's an issue of presentation. Probably though I just hate Gilliam movies.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so i made it to the second article of my academic journal and this is becoming quite the issue this ones all about these graphic novels called roll hard and executive outcomes which are about poor misunderstood private military contractors in iraq and sierra leone

just reading the descriptions of these comic books is making me feel kind of ill because of course the blackwater guys are noble patriots and the executive outcomes guys just want to protect the peace by killing the bad guys this is of course done with just the right amount of nuance to suggest objectivity about tough men making hard decisions so the books dont get accused of being whitewashes

so i was wondering if anyone had actually read either of these books or even heard of them i dont have a clue how much cultural penetration they had even in the very narrow context of the pretentious graphic novel community

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I watched The Dead Don’t Die last night and I kinda liked it for what it was, which is the joke, “Jim Jarmusch is so far up his own rear end, while simultaneously self-aware, that he made a satire whose premise is ‘what if aging, self indulgent indie darling Jim Jarmusch made a zombie movie?’” It’s an extremely slow & meandering film, is cast is full of Jarmusch regulars (with a pivotal scene breaking so that Bill Murray can bitch about how Adam Driver is getting preferential treatment from the director, even though Murray has known him longer), is too ironically detached to effectively hit the social commentary beats common in zombie films but goes for it anyways (“polar fracking” being the reason for all the weirdness, Buscemi’s “make America white again” hat, having Tom Waits play a forest hobo that gives a really bad speech about people loving stuff over a montage of zombies, etc), the running gag where everyone points out Sturgill Simpson is both great and made the theme song (the soundtrack by SQÜRL is terrific as well), and the acknowledgement that he’d probably try to cop out and do something weird in the end because he wouldn’t want it to be a “normal” zombie movie ending (suddenly UFOs).

You might really have to like Jarmusch, weird uneven tone, and be able to tolerate excessively meta humor, to enjoy it, but I do and do so I did.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEdRhmBx8IU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eh, Tonay! You seein’ this poo poo? They makin’ a mockery of our culture! They turnin’ da cinema into dah freakin Olive Gahden!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
watched Bacurau, it owns, incredible movie and very cspam