Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

mediaphage posted:

agreed but i'm probably still going to get one and use with my facebook account that has no friends and only a few groups and hope for some jailbreakin

they will still figure out who you are based on where you've logged in from historically and any tracking information they've absorbed in your life time online

this is not hyperbole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Share Bear posted:

they will still figure out who you are based on where you've logged in from historically and any tracking information they've absorbed in your life time online

this is not hyperbole

sure, they’re doing that now, though, and I don’t have much if any control over it beyond blocking some things and vpning others. it’s more about what they might do to restrict usage in the future.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you can fingerprint from straight vr trackin

source: that was my job for a year for a small vr dealio

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you can fingerprint from straight vr trackin

source: that was my job for a year for a small vr dealio

this doesn't surprise me since gait detection is a thing. doesnt the quest also have unnecessary biometric sensors

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
don’t they ban you and brick your headset if they figure out it’s not your main account

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

haveblue posted:

don’t they ban you and brick your headset if they figure out it’s not your main account

hard to say, apparently a bunch of new accounts triggered their fraud systems and autobanned a number of q2 buyers. it is against the rules to have more than one facebook account, i think, so who knows

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
i finished outer wilds over a week or so and it's extremely good. i don't think i've ever played space exploration type games but this one was amazing. the reset/loop structure is great for puzzle/exploration games like this because if you're stuck, it forces a change and you're also not staring ahead at a massive list of crap to do (like it felt like in the witness). you're never far from a solution because it has to be achievable from the origin.

a mystery to unravel about characters and plot is good player motivation to keep them going and the physics simulation is cartoonish and fun rather than realistic (though it can still be terrifying). are there any other space/exploration games like it?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

nothing like it, but maybe try post-update no mans sky

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

outer wilds has finally Clicked and I'm loving it

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

OW reminded me of the first SWKOTOR except the combat system didn’t suck total and utter anus

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lamo in AssCreed:Odyssey if you walk too close to a guarded area the guard will shout 'Be off with you, sellsword', 'you're not wanted here mercenary' etc.

I walked by today and the guy in front of the gate just bellowed 'FUUUCKK OFFF', I bust out an irl lol.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

OW reminded me of the first SWKOTOR except the combat system didn’t suck total and utter anus

I think you are talking about the other OW.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Strumpy posted:

I think you are talking about the other OW.

yeah, overwatch.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

teardown looks extremely my poo poo, gonna pick it up this weekend

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

i bought valhalla on a wim yesterday

my 2-hour impression is that it is a perfectly serviceable viking themed arpg but continues the trend of moving the asscreed games away from actual assassins

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

we're about to set up an unreal tournament 2004 server and maybe a q3 server for yosnerds to slam buckshot into each other on, hang tight

i am just gonna quote this into this thread because i am super looking forward to it and no one will find it in the hellworld thread.

for those who are interested, you can get ut2k4 on GOG for 10 bucks

and you should install this mutator (jonny please put it on the server too) to fix the fov and weapon models for modern widescreens, i have tested it and it works great. skip the XGame.u part, which is only needed for the single player ladder and will probably break client validation.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/sx2bs625jhhc6kd/WidescreenFixMod.zip/file

quote:

Place foxWSFix.u, HUDFix.u, and HUDFix.ucl in /UT2004/System.

Open /UT2004/System/user.ini with Notepad and replace all lines of:

* InputClass=Class'Engine.PlayerInput'

with

* InputClass=Class'foxWSFix.foxPlayerInput'

To uninstall, revert these lines and delete the 3 files.

Once in-game, open the console with the tilde key (~) and use the following commands to set the widescreen options:

* SetRatio 4x3 (default)
Your aspect ratio. Entering your resolution works too. Ex. 16x9, or simply 1920x1080.

* SetFOV 90 (default)
Your unscaled FOV angle. Ex. 90 for an effective FOV of 106.26 when scaled to 16:9.

works and looks great for me with setratio 3440x1440 and setfov 100.

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null

Sagebrush posted:

Thanks for this! Also `setres 2560x1440` will force a resolution.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

i am just gonna quote this into this thread because i am super looking forward to it and no one will find it in the hellworld thread.

and you should install this mutator (jonny please put it on the server too) to fix the fov and weapon models for modern widescreens, i have tested it and it works great. skip the XGame.u part, which is only needed for the single player ladder and will probably break client validation.

ty for all this great info

we just had a private intro sesh, notes:

* lol it just runs at 500 fps. all. the. time. it's GREAT
* i will install the widescreen mutator
* I can't figure out how to get votemap going so I may just go for https://forums.beyondunreal.com/threads/mapmixer-2-20-botmixer-1-00-released.153273/
* the ded server allows you to specify an http redirect for assets, so, of course, now Fastly is CDNing whatever random assets and mutators you'll download on load. LOL
* i thought i was really bad these days but i held my own and the translocator and flak cannon memory muscles are coming back

We will plan to play more tomorrow! I will post the server info then. tonight i'm going to be breaking it 10,000 times trying to install poo poo so no use playing

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

sorts out the FOV stuff but the mouse settings break and are stuck fixed at the defaults. guess I'm gonna have to get used to playing UT with 3.0 sens and mouse smoothing :(

e: nvm console commands still work, hooray for low sens

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 14, 2020

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
current james status: got credit roll in hades, fantastic game

also started up wolfenstein: youngblood coop with a friend. its dumb as hell but in a good way

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Kuvo posted:

current james status: got credit roll in hades, fantastic game

im in a groove now and keep making it to the final fight but not quite finishing. i like how i went from trying to rush to being very cool with dying a few times to beef up more things and trying my rng luck with the fists

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
once i got it though my head to take time with that fight i started clearing it a lot easier. he only has like 3 moves and theyre all super telegraphed so wait for him to do something, get a few hits in, move

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Been playing some AoE 2 in lockdown, still a great game. The Definitive Edition on steam feels just like it used to, although I doubt the original would hold up well.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i finished metro exodus, and i got the bad ending. now i'm sad.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lamo in AssCreed:Odyssey if you walk too close to a guarded area the guard will shout 'Be off with you, sellsword', 'you're not wanted here mercenary' etc.

I walked by today and the guy in front of the gate just bellowed 'FUUUCKK OFFF', I bust out an irl lol.

the only real immersion failure is there isn’t nearly enough swearing

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i 100%d batman on the ng+ knightmare mode so now i have 240% and the gold batsuit. hell yeah.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

The Fool posted:

my 2-hour impression is that it is a perfectly serviceable viking themed arpg but continues the trend of moving the asscreed games away from actual assassins

this is a positive point. i played for a couple of hours before I got the first stupid modern day sci-fi apocolypse horse poo poo

the best part of this series has always been letting you run around a AAA simulation of interesting historical periods, and the worst part has been assuming that you're too much of a moron to find history interesting so here's some dumb bullshit about aliens or conspiracies or something

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I just realized today that my Xbox account has AC Black Flag from back in the 360 days. gonna download the hell out of it and pirate it up on the Xbone

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I just realized today that my Xbox account has AC Black Flag from back in the 360 days. gonna download the hell out of it and pirate it up on the Xbone

that game is v good and would be even better with the entire main story removed

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Mad Wack posted:

that game is v good and would be even better with the entire main story removed
you can’t crash fire island. i thought ac games were supposed to have faithful recreations of culturally significant historic landmarks right down to the permeating smell of amyl nitrate.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i moved my ps4 to my office today and black flag happened to be on sale for $9 so that's downloading now

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

What will we do with a drunken sailor?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Truman Peyote posted:

this is a positive point. i played for a couple of hours before I got the first stupid modern day sci-fi apocolypse horse poo poo

the best part of this series has always been letting you run around a AAA simulation of interesting historical periods, and the worst part has been assuming that you're too much of a moron to find history interesting so here's some dumb bullshit about aliens or conspiracies or something

counterpoint: this is what lead to the second game having you kill a pope who could shoot lasers

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Roosevelt posted:

i finished metro exodus, and i got the bad ending. now i'm sad.
i’m getting back into it this afternoon and finishing up the caspian. sorry for your loss blyat

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Kenny Logins posted:

i’m getting back into it this afternoon and finishing up the caspian. sorry for your loss blyat

don't kill any slaves, even on accident

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Roosevelt posted:

don't kill any slaves, even on accident
so far i’ve been pretty careful about that, but yeah i don’t want him to leave blyat

it’s going to be what it’s going to be, i’ll youtube the good ending if i miss it slightly

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Any steam recommendations for an old who never liked video games, is probably going to be playing games from a lazy boy chair, and is likely to be using a usb keyboard/trackpad? I need a bunch of time kill activities for my dad, and he asked for games since the news has been so painful to watch lately lol.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

goose game

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

TimWinter posted:

Any steam recommendations for an old who never liked video games, is probably going to be playing games from a lazy boy chair, and is likely to be using a usb keyboard/trackpad? I need a bunch of time kill activities for my dad, and he asked for games since the news has been so painful to watch lately lol.

goose game not a bad idea if he could get into it. also he might enjoy stuff like bridge constructor (there's a twd tie in good christ) or those hidden item games.

that said you can always try him out on strategy if he might possibly get into blooding for the blood god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

maybe snowrunner if he’s into trucks, it’s a pretty casual game but I have no idea how it plays on a keyboard