Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

infernal machines posted:

it's a dongle and half of it connects to your cellphone because there was no way to do voice chat via the switch itself

This is what I was thinking of:

https://www.amazon.com/Gameboy-Advance-Earphone-standard-earphone/dp/B002JEUDX4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

that one too

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 15, 2020

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

mediaphage posted:

loving magsafe how does it work

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

The Management posted:

you’re going to have to rip this bandaid off sometime. might as well do it now.

or i could spend a few more years using good headphones instead

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Clark Nova posted:

nope, there are separate checkboxes in the trackpad and mouse settings screens but they toggle the same value

Lol how did they screw this up

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i like the twelvesouth bookbook case and am eagerly awaiting the one for my iphone pro 12 max paypig edition

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Good Sphere posted:

Lol how did they screw this up

they didn’t consider that there are psychopaths that want the trackpad one way but the mouse the other

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

they actually just made a stupid mistake when they implemented "natural" trackpad scrolling and should have patched it immediately by putting a -1 in the mouse wheel logic. but they didn't and now they're stuck with it

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

but they didn't and now they're stuck with it
the word you’re looking for is courage.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
the answer is you should be using a magic mouse instead of some ancient mouse with a primitive scroll wheel

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
i'd sooner use a magic trackpad

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
i just use an iphone now in a big bed with my wife.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i have some high sperg count logitech mouse i got on amazon on sale and i honestly don’t know which way the scroll wheel goes. i switch between macs all the time and they could be ‘natural’ or otherwise and i just suck it up without noticing

i guess you could say i really am a gentle autist

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

me too. seems like a waste otherwise.

e: also can't use my phone to listen to music until monday at the earliest since timb decided not to ship a $10 headphone adapter with my $950 phone and the place that sells apple accessories down the street isn't open sundays

lol should've gone to the store any other day in the 2 weeks since they started selling the phone

reducing e-waste is the future. better get used to it. as regulators are going to drag the tech cos into it whether they get slightly ahead of the curve like this case or not.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

they stopped making it so you can use an imac as just a display right? it'd be nice if they brought that back when they put the arm chip in it, so I can use it as a display for a video game computer, then use it for not games

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i feel like they brought back the magsafe name for phones specifically to troll me, the guy still mad it’s no longer a thing on MacsBook

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
magsafe was awesome in my bitsy air and sucked rear end on my mbp. put notebook in lap (I know) or on basically anything that’s not any kind of hard surface, pop goes the magsafe.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

mediaphage posted:

magsafe was awesome in my bitsy air and sucked rear end on my mbp. put notebook in lap (I know) or on basically anything that’s not any kind of hard surface, pop goes the magsafe.

the og magsafe design was much better

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Oneiros posted:

the og magsafe design was much better

ain’t wrong

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
lol

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Gentle Autist posted:

i have some high sperg count logitech mouse i got on amazon on sale and i honestly don’t know which way the scroll wheel goes. i switch between macs all the time and they could be ‘natural’ or otherwise and i just suck it up without noticing

same, thank god I still have some mental malleability left

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Pardot posted:

they stopped making it so you can use an imac as just a display right? it'd be nice if they brought that back when they put the arm chip in it, so I can use it as a display for a video game computer, then use it for not games
lol it was barely a feature when it existed and stopped working after 10.14.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
MagSafe on the 12 is really good for charging

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

half expect Apple to make MagSafe a thing on the next refresh of the arm macs but pull a Magic Mouse "you shouldn't use it while charging" and put the MagSafe spot dead center on the trackpad or something.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I am very satisfied with the iPhone 12 mini edition

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Chris Knight posted:

lol it was barely a feature when it existed and stopped working after 10.14.

yeah, it was only an option on two model years iMac, and only the 27”. it was obviously a feature some engineer enabled because he thought it was neat but as soon as some hardware change occurred he couldn’t be assed to figure out how to fix it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I used that feature at work for a while when they issued me a laptop but didn't take back the imac on my desk and it's kind of a pain. there's no way to set the imac permanently to monitor mode so every time you disconnect and reconnect them you have to do the key combo again. if you had the imac logged in it's still logged in so if you touch its input devices you might accidentally do stuff and it can still make sound. it's not a bare video connection, it's done at a higher level so it only works if the source is also a mac running the right macOS version

it was also fairly common for the setup process to fail and the imac screen remained black until I disconnected the cable and started over

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

oh that sucks. well then I hope they come out with a higher end mini I guess

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

they've put out some pretty piss-poor minis in the past so i wouldn't hold my breath. i still wonder if the next iteration isn't just going to look like an apple tv since they'll literally be using the same chips.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Plorkyeran posted:

or i could spend a few more years using good headphones instead

if you actually gave a crap you’d have a lightning/usb headphone amp by now. just lol at using a tiny lil built in phone dac with your “good” headphones

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
wish the 12 mini was smaller. it's just slightly too large to one hand and I can't touch stuff on the upper left part of the screen without shifting my grip

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Baxate posted:

if you actually gave a crap you’d have a lightning/usb headphone amp by now. just lol at using a tiny lil built in phone dac with your “good” headphones

the iphones aren’t that bad though, compared to some devices that aren’t specifically targeting “audiophiles” and besides a number of “good” headphones don’t actually require any more power than that to the extent that an amp is basically wasted on them

I guess if you’re using a pair of high resistance cans tho go hog wild

dragon enthusiast posted:

wish the 12 mini was smaller. it's just slightly too large to one hand and I can't touch stuff on the upper left part of the screen without shifting my grip

isn’t it just barely bigger than the se? I like small phones but not sure I’d want anything smaller. or do you think they should stick with the og se sized screen and shrink the bezels, etc., accordingly? not trolling but I think battery life would be considered unacceptable by many at that point even if you thickened ‘er up a bit

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

mediaphage posted:

a number of “good” headphones don’t actually require any more power than that to the extent that an amp is basically wasted on them

yeah this, saying if you care you have an amp is only true if it's like 2003 (maybe not even then, but I'm trying to be generous)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

mediaphage posted:

isn’t it just barely bigger than the se? I like small phones but not sure I’d want anything smaller. or do you think they should stick with the og se sized screen and shrink the bezels, etc., accordingly? not trolling but I think battery life would be considered unacceptable by many at that point even if you thickened ‘er up a bit

barely bigger is still noticeable if you're switching from the original model se. the main thing is the screen extends higher and lower on the face than the se's did, so while you could comfortably reach the top and bottom of the se's screen with your thumb without adjusting your grip, you may not be able to with the mini

the imminent huh
Apr 6, 2016

lord funk posted:

can you imagine if other gear had its own proprietary dongle for headphones

like if your nintendo switch had a $20 cable so you could play with ear buds

no need to imagine. you need a $20 dongle to use bluetooth headphones with nintendo switch

the imminent huh fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 15, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

barely bigger is still noticeable if you're switching from the original model se. the main thing is the screen extends higher and lower on the face than the se's did, so while you could comfortably reach the top and bottom of the se's screen with your thumb without adjusting your grip, you may not be able to with the mini

ok that's fair. i will say that i finally actually want a new iphone now; i sidegraded from 6s+ to my SO's se some time ago (like a couple years i guess) and i love everything about it except very occasionally the screen feels cramped

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/1328035876199419905

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

the imminent huh posted:

no need to imagine. you need a $20 dongle to use bluetooth headphones with nintendo switch

you mean earphones? bluetooth headphones have an aux input for passive use

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Baxate posted:

the iphone dac was actually shockingly good for a phone dac and while you absolutely can buy better, even the mid-end ones often weren't. iems don't particularly need an amp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

you almost have to if you want a headphone jack these days