Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Pikestaff posted:

Are there any other magical girl (or magical girl adjacent) shows out there with a duo dynamic a la Futari wa Precure? It's my favorite type of dynamic for this genre but most of the shows I've found focus either on a single heroine or on a team.

Both Twin Angel anime have duo leads but I wouldn't call them good per say...

Really in action anime (and Tokusatsu) you either end up with just a solo lead or a team either cause they end up easier to write (easier to write a solo focused series, for a team you can stretch things out with a focus on minor characters/more toys to sell). It's why Futari Wa is so unique as it's a dynamic anime really doesn't do except for a few shows like say Dirty Pair....

Julias posted:

Flip Flappers!

How dare you forget Yayaka

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pikestaff posted:

Are there any other magical girl (or magical girl adjacent) shows out there with a duo dynamic a la Futari wa Precure? It's my favorite type of dynamic for this genre but most of the shows I've found focus either on a single heroine or on a team.

maho tsukai precure

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

maho tsukai precure

Also Splash Star and the first handful of episodes of HeartCatch.

Cardcaptor Sakura technically has a duo as well (though it takes a bit before they start working together consistently).

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Maho got a third Precure though, 4 if Cure Mofurun wasn't in movie rights jail. Splash Star probably counts though that's only cause the Kiryuu's got done dirty ( I still think they would of been Bright and Windy if the Cure Black/Cure White fight didn't happen in the movie)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Remind me again why they’re not allowed to use Cure Mofurun anymore (well part of her cameoed in Hugtto at least)?

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Endorph posted:

maho tsukai precure

Larryb posted:

Also Splash Star and the first handful of episodes of HeartCatch.

I should've clarified, I've already seen every Precure season. Splash Star was the closest to what I'm looking for because it didn't have any mid-season Cures or late additions but I couldn't really get into the characters the way I did with the original Futari wa Precure.

Flip Flappers looks promising although it also looks like there's some fanservice going on and I am really easily squicked out by fanservice. But it kind of looks like my options are limited so I might give it a try anyway.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Larryb posted:

Remind me again why they’re not allowed to use Cure Mofurun anymore (well part of her cameoed in Hugtto at least)?

One of the companies that cofinanced/coproduced the Maho movie doesn't want to let go of the rights or wants to much which is why Mofurun was just hinted at and didn't focus and I hear it's the same for Cure Echo as well

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

One of the companies that cofinanced/coproduced the Maho movie doesn't want to let go of the rights or wants to much which is why Mofurun was just hinted at and didn't focus and I hear it's the same for Cure Echo as well

I don't think so on the latter as Cure Echo showed up in person during the in-series crossover in Hugtto (I think she even got a line). But who knows.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/krpkmugendai/status/1327804459691380736?s=21

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Pikestaff posted:

The second season of Nanoha, kind of?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's kinda of stretch to call A's a duo show when it's big set pieces are either solo action or the three main girls fighting.

Also as much as I love Nanoha it's got way more fan service than Flip Flappers so I probably wouldn't recommend it to Pike

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Healin Good 33: That was a really good Precure episode tonight. We got some backstory on the doctor who tried his best to heal Nodoka before we leaned that Daruizen was responsible for the whole thing. The fight was well-animated, and the character moments were great. An overall stellar episode of Healin' Good. You can tell the staff put in their best for this week's.

Next week is another Chiyu episode, this time focusing more on her sports plot than her hot springs plot.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Heartcatch episodes 11 and 12: I wanted to wait until I'd seen another cycle of the Generals before saying this, but I think Kumojacky understands people's emotions in a way that Sasorina and Kobraja don't. Sasorina doesn't put in the effort to try and understand her victims, and Kobraja is too self absorbed to care, but all of Kumojacky's appearances so far have seen him very purposefully choosing and manipulating his victims based on a pretty solid understanding of why their flowers have wilted. If the pattern holds I think this could lead to an interesting conflict between him and Tsubomi down the line.

The proposal episode was very cute and just detached enough from the overall plot that I would probably recommend it as a good trial episode.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Thanks to recent scans it would appear the 2021 season finally has a name: Tropical Rouge Precure

So a tropical/ocean theme huh? I’m down with that.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Nov 25, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tropical makes me think its set in like, okinawa or something.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Interesting title for sure, it seems like the colors in the title are blue and red, so maybe two cures this time?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

blossommirage posted:

Interesting title for sure, it seems like the colors in the title are blue and red, so maybe two cures this time?

There were some toy rumors that suggested we might be starting with a duo this time so you could be right.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

blossommirage posted:

There's a bit of green and orange, too.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

We’ve got a poster for the Healin Good movie as well:

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Those movie designs are pretty great and I'm legit hyped to see Cure Dream and Milky Rose back

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

I completely forgot the Yes 5 girls were in it, and was very confused about why we were getting an all stars movie. Cute designs, though! Especially the healing animal buddies. I guess I dunno if that's consistent with the TV show, though, I fell super behind on Healin Good.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

blossommirage posted:

I completely forgot the Yes 5 girls were in it, and was very confused about why we were getting an all stars movie. Cute designs, though! Especially the healing animal buddies. I guess I dunno if that's consistent with the TV show, though, I fell super behind on Healin Good.

We’ve never seen those designs before no, and you should get caught up as the show has recently started to get pretty good again.

Also I kind of hope there’s a Bunbee cameo in the movie as well (they brought him back for Hugtto after all so why not).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Nov 25, 2020

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Larryb posted:

We’ve never seen those designs before no, and you should get caught up as the show has recently started to get pretty good again.

I want to catch up on that and Digimon a lot. When Covid hit and stuff got delayed, I fell off both pretty hard.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

blossommirage posted:

I want to catch up on that and Digimon a lot. When Covid hit and stuff got delayed, I fell off both pretty hard.

Well it’s all up on Crunchyroll for free so there’s plenty of time.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I fell behind on Healin Good too, I stopped watching around the time Cure Earth showed up. It wasn't really holding my interest, and with a real life pandemic going on, it was getting emotionally draining for me to watch the cute dog mascot get sick every week. Maybe I'll pick it up again when the overall world is doing a little better. Until then I've been watching the Sailor Moon seasons I haven't seen yet.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On another note, I’m curious if they’re going to pull a Kamen Rider Decade and make Tropical Rouge intentionally shorter in order to get things back to the normal schedule or if new Precure shows are just going to start in the spring from now on.

Also given the name and part of the logo it’s possible that makeup might be part of the gimmick this time around as well.

Might be neat to have it take place in Okinawa or some seaside town ala Splash Star.

In regards to the movie poster I’m loving bunny Grace and Nyatoran with goggles. Also looking in the background apparently the Wind Fish from Zelda is in this as well.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 25, 2020

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Larryb posted:

Thanks to recent scans it would appear the 2021 season finally has a name: Tropical Rouge Precure

Reddit has translated this:

quote:

Great news!!! A new PreCure was chosen!

Tropical-Rouge! PreCure

What kind of PreCure is the next PreCure going to be? Look forward to more details in the February and March issues of "Tanoshii Youchien"!

So it kind of looks like the new Precure is going to start later in the year instead of traditional early February? Assuming February and March are just going to give us "more details" instead of the actual series. Interesting if so, because I thought Toei said they didn't want to go that route, so maybe they changed their mind.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pikestaff posted:

Reddit has translated this:

So it kind of looks like the new Precure is going to start later in the year instead of traditional early February? Assuming February and March are just going to give us "more details" instead of the actual series. Interesting if so, because I thought Toei said they didn't want to go that route, so maybe they changed their mind.

Well they’ve already confirmed that Healin Good will be 46 episodes and end in February (with the movie coming out March 20th) so it stands to reason this will probably start a little bit after that.

Also that’s apparently the January issue of that magazine (they release things early for some reason) so it’s possible we might start getting some concrete information about Tropical Rouge as early as next month.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Wonder if they're just going for the obvious mermaid angle or something a bit more out there? The villains seem like they'd write themselves in such a premise at least.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah Toei changed their minds as they haven't cut down Healin Good's episodes and even kept in a recap episode that was to air after the Olympics. Now the speculation is that the new season premiere date is gonna change full time or we may get a shorter season in 2021 (which will happen if the Olympics go ahead which is a big if)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Given everything I also wouldn’t be surprised if Tropical Rouge winds up being a bit more lighthearted as well (kind of like how they followed Suite with the more comedic Smile following the earthquake).

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Larryb posted:

Given everything I also wouldn’t be surprised if Tropical Rouge winds up being a bit more lighthearted as well (kind of like how they followed Suite with the more comedic Smile following the earthquake).

I hope so because those usually end up being my favorite seasons :allears:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Looking at the Healin Good poster again I’m kind of curious how big a role the Yes 5 team will actually play in the movie considering how far in the background they are.

Unrelated, Christina Vee (Sailor Mars in the Viz dub) recently did a cover of “Carry On” from the DiC version on her YouTube channel:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=-KltqMoNlsI

Gotta say, for all its faults the DiC Sailor Moon had some drat good music at times.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And we have a website already:

http://www.toei-anim.co.jp/tv/tropical-rouge_precure/

Taglines are "Change with Makeup! Unbeatable excitement!" and "Make it tropical with everyone!"

Make of this what you will.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 26, 2020

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
A focus on make-up for a Precure season reads kind of ominously after Happiness Charge.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

A focus on make-up for a Precure season reads kind of ominously after Happiness Charge.

Well it’s been a while since HaCha to be fair, maybe they’ll do better this time.

The tropical theme makes me think this show might take place in Okinawa (or somewhere thereabouts), which would be something unique for this series at least.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Happiness Charge had many problems the makeup was probably the least of them, even if the mid-season power up attack went way over board and had to get changed

Love to see another series do to Form Changes though. That had so much potential

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Happiness Charge had many problems the makeup was probably the least of them, even if the mid-season power up attack went way over board and had to get changed

What happened here? I bounced off of HaCha ultra hard when it was airing and know only some baseline stuff about it (IE full cast, some broad strokes stuff that happens).

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 27, 2020

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Omnicrom posted:

What happened here? I bounced off of HaCha ultra hard and know only some baseline stuff about it.

Nothing official has been said but it aired when Toei was moving studio locations and was also working on more shows than normal. So visually its got some glaring weak spots to modern Precure usually doesn't have (like not just Aoyama bad but some visually off model episodes. Sailo Moon Crystal season 1 aired during this time for another example)..

As for the story? Well it was the lead directors first big show and given Toei was split in multiple directions there probably was little help beyond directions to use Toys. Thus we end up with a messy plot that is sorta of split in multiple directions and also with Blue the worst Precure character ever.

The Hapiness Charge film is actually pretty good but thats cause of Chiaki Kon's direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

There’s also things like them rushing out Hime’s character arc as quickly as they could, Yoko barely getting one to begin with, being a four Cure show where only two of them really mattered in the end, Megumi taking over the show for the last bit and soloing the final boss while the others literally just watched (it was a decent fight though), the International Precure angle not being used nearly as much as it should have been, and the fact that all this was meant to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the franchise.

On the other hand, the PreCards gave us one of the most unique battle systems in the franchise, Seiji was a decent character that could actually hold his own in a fight despite his lack of superpowers (making him effectively the fifth member of the team), and I liked the overall team dynamic between the group. It also has some really well animated fights at times (the final bout between Megumi and Mirage for example).

HaCha isn’t a terrible season per se but it is a disappointing one in my opinion with a lot of missed potential.