Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
my library system doesn't have NALM so i got Wounds instead

lmao, skullpocket

i haven't enjoyed a piece of fiction so much in at least 25 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

FPyat posted:

Is there any good apocalyptic/disaster/all-of-society-is-hosed-up horror? I find a horror story's predicament to be more unsettling if it endangers a larger number of people, the fear not being isolated to a cabin or location but ever-present - specifically, I have in mind the way an entire town is doomed in Junji Ito's Uzumaki. One thing that seems like it'll appeal to me is the podcast I Am In Eskew.

There's Bird Box which focuses on a smaller group but has the whole world falling apart.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I just finished reading the atrocity archives and I like the idea of a series about a government agent who fights technological lovecraftian demons.

What I didn’t like were the bad attempts at humor, the focus on humdrum office politics and bureaucracy, and the super outdated technology references - I’ll give that last one a pass cause the book is ~20 years old now, but it really pegs the story at a particular time.

Is there a series that doesn’t have the above? Feels like lovecraftian stuff is mostly confined to short stories but I’d like to read a longer narrative about saving the world from other realms’ horrors.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bonaventure posted:

lmao, skullpocket

Wounds is cool as hell

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I just finished reading the atrocity archives and I like the idea of a series about a government agent who fights technological lovecraftian demons.

What I didn’t like were the bad attempts at humor, the focus on humdrum office politics and bureaucracy, and the super outdated technology references - I’ll give that last one a pass cause the book is ~20 years old now, but it really pegs the story at a particular time.

Is there a series that doesn’t have the above? Feels like lovecraftian stuff is mostly confined to short stories but I’d like to read a longer narrative about saving the world from other realms’ horrors.

If you haven't already, read "colder war" by the same author. I skipped that series, but his short stories are usually quite good

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Sadly I don't but I'd love to hear if someone else does. I will say the books get much, much better about your critiques as they go on. The dumb nerd-humor sticks around for a bit but rapidly becomes more of Bob's coping mechanism and less of a thing. Also once he starts changing POV characters for uh reasons, it mixes it up a lot. The first books are specifically aping individual spy authors which is cute as an idea but kind of hamstrings the writing sometimes (except for Jennifer Morgue ; fight me).

The old tech however only gets as good as when the book came out, because obvious reasons based on the linearity of time. The most recent book is in 2015 and it has, well, you know, tech circa 2015. It's a little unfair to criticize Pride and Prejudice for the lack of iPhones.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I finished North American Lake Monsters, which was excellent! Want to ask if Wounds is as, shall we say, despair-inducing and bleak or is it a different flavour of horror? Because NALM is excellent but it was such a heavy read

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Artelier posted:

I finished North American Lake Monsters, which was excellent! Want to ask if Wounds is as, shall we say, despair-inducing and bleak or is it a different flavour of horror? Because NALM is excellent but it was such a heavy read

Its much less heavy and has a bit more of a fantasy structure to it. Its also good but different

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Artelier posted:

Wounds is more Clive Barker

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The titular story for Greener Pastures is the scariest story I've ever read. I don't know why it creeps me out on the level it does, but it really works on me.

i've always been sort of fixated on the imagery of roadside gas stations in their little isles of light and this story hosed me up

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bilirubin posted:

I just started The Road, not sure whether it would qualify as "horror" yet or not

Nearly done and I can report there are some horror elements, and it is beautifully written. If you like postapoc lit this is it

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Bilirubin posted:

Nearly done and I can report there are some horror elements, and it is beautifully written. If you like postapoc lit this is it

It's a good book. I remember I read the whole thing on one rainy day and then just like sat there and contemplated for a while.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Bonaventure posted:

lmao, skullpocket

I thought I would hate skullpocket because it seemed kind of twee at first, but now it’s one of my favorite short stories!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

remigious posted:

I thought I would hate skullpocket because it seemed kind of twee at first, but now it’s one of my favorite short stories!

It's a lovely heartfelt journey that has a nice payoff. It's extremely Clive Barker in tone, which I think works really well.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
What's the consensus on the Southern Reach trilogy? I just finished Annihilation, and I liked it, but it felt a little too loose and meander-y, despite being so short. I'm always intrigued by "explore mysterious location" stories, but I don't know if I want to invest the time in two more books.

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

Lester Shy posted:

What's the consensus on the Southern Reach trilogy? I just finished Annihilation, and I liked it, but it felt a little too loose and meander-y, despite being so short. I'm always intrigued by "explore mysterious location" stories, but I don't know if I want to invest the time in two more books.

I really enjoyed the second book, even more than the first, but found the third kinda boring.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I really enjoyed all three, but agreed that the second is the best and the third is the weakest.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Hell I liked the third just as well as the second. They are all very different in narrative scope though so horses for courses

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Huh, I assumed everyone liked the first one best. I enjoyed all three. There are some more fun reveals but they never get bogged down in explanation, which I appreciated.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

With the second book, I thought the first two-thirds was the worst part of the trilogy but the last third or so was the best, truly a novel of contrasts.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Apologies for dropping in like this in a thread where I'm not a regular, but I'd like to invite everyone here to the 2020 TBB Secret Santa. The more, the merrier!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

OK so I'm several stories into Books of Blood (all volumes are combined--these are the first from volume 1) and I have to post up. I've never read Clive Barker before but he's funny, engaging, sympathetic, entertaining, also loves him some gore and gross imagery. Protagonists are just as likely to persevere and survive just fine as die in gruesome, horrible ways. Usually both in sequential stories. After all of the psychological horror I've been reading this hits in the gut in just the right way. Really really enjoying this so far

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Back in 1990 I wrote a poem for an assignment in high school that was me combining (ripping off) Pig Blood Blues with Scapegoats. It made no sense, but I thought I was being deep like only a 17 year old can. It ended up with me have a conference with my guidance counselor and the teacher who assigned it to make sure I was ok in the head. I don’t have a point telling that story except The Books of Blood opened up my young mind in so many ways. Love those volumes.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

I wrote the above just after reading Pig Blood Blues in fact

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Apologies for dropping in like this in a thread where I'm not a regular, but I'd like to invite everyone here to the 2020 TBB Secret Santa. The more, the merrier!

my impulse to send someone some real weird poo poo is tempered by my hesitance to share my real address and name

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Good Citizen posted:

my impulse to send someone some real weird poo poo is tempered by my hesitance to share my real address and name

I've done it before and it's pretty safe. You're not like doxxing yourself, just sharing the bare minimum of information for someone to send you a gift.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I have updated the rules. I don't think that there's a compelling reason to ask for people's real names, so that's been removed. Addresses are obviously necessary.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bilirubin posted:

OK so I'm several stories into Books of Blood (all volumes are combined--these are the first from volume 1) and I have to post up. I've never read Clive Barker before but he's funny, engaging, sympathetic, entertaining, also loves him some gore and gross imagery. Protagonists are just as likely to persevere and survive just fine as die in gruesome, horrible ways. Usually both in sequential stories. After all of the psychological horror I've been reading this hits in the gut in just the right way. Really really enjoying this so far

There's a reason Barker was super huge in the 80s. When he had it, he had it.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Holy poo poo the short story Dread

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/alloy_dr/status/1330142369438715906?s=20

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
Does anyone know of any haunted house/ghost stories with a strong cosmic horror element?

szary
Mar 12, 2014

Yesh posted:

Does anyone know of any haunted house/ghost stories with a strong cosmic horror element?

The House of Frozen Screams by Thana Niveau

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

Yesh posted:

Seems you don't have PMs, but I actually published just such a story a few short weeks ago -- you can get it on a 'pay what you're feeling' basis from Smashwords if you're interested.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Bilirubin posted:

Clive Barker is/was a very gifted writer. It's a bit of a contentious issue sometimes here on the forums but I personally think his short stories are way stronger than his novels. Books of Blood are dope.

I just saw a film on Hulu called Books of Blood that's anthology horror but I don't recognize the stories as being from Clive Barker, are they? It was okay but only the first story was really strong IMO.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Zwabu posted:

Clive Barker is/was a very gifted writer. It's a bit of a contentious issue sometimes here on the forums but I personally think his short stories are way stronger than his novels. Books of Blood are dope.

I just saw a film on Hulu called Books of Blood that's anthology horror but I don't recognize the stories as being from Clive Barker, are they? It was okay but only the first story was really strong IMO.

i haven't seen it but from what i read it was in fact adapted from Barker's writing.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
It's a podcast reading of a short story but I really enjoyed this:

https://pseudopod.org/2020/11/27/pseudopod-733-late-sleepers/

If you'd rather just read it the full text is on the page as well.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
Just read a bunch of Space Horror, here’s my reviews:

Ship of Fools/Unto Leviathan: Extremely good. Satisfying ending, very creepy alien ship, a sexy priest. Very cool depiction of a generation ship. Also has several disabled characters in key roles, including the protagonist, if that kind of representation is your thing.

Hull 03: Deeply strange, almost dreamlike, doesn’t really cohere into a narrative until the second half of the book. It all kind of made sense by then, but I’m not sure it was worth the wait.

The Last Astronaut: Good story, creepy aliens, some gross body horror, and a satisfying mystery. Also a good side plot about the relationship between a near-bankrupt NASA and not-Elon-musk’s space company. I thought it was hurt by the framing narrative of the book being a retrospective documentary, just telling the story straight up would have been better.

The Burning Dark: Apparently this is book 1 of a trilogy? The book was...fine. But that’s about it. There was a lot left unexplained, in a way that was more confusing than creepy. It seemed like there were some ideas that didn’t go anywhere, and the creepy-stuff scenes seemed disconnected from the rest of the book, the characters would wake up the next day and not seem really shaken by all the horror.

Currently reading Blindsight, open to any recommendations that are about creepy poo poo in space. Basically anything that reminds you of event horizon.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Just finished White is for Witching by Helen Oyeyemi and really enjoyed it. Very slow paced and I think the first half could have been cut down significantly, but overall a good read.

I've heard some people complain about the bluntly racist haunted house and the fact that it is one of the book's several narrators, but I think Oyeyemi does a good job weaving that element directly into the supernatural parts, which makes them stand out from fiction I've read with similar themes.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

von Metternich posted:

Ship of Fools/Unto Leviathan: Extremely good. Satisfying ending, very creepy alien ship, a sexy priest. Very cool depiction of a generation ship. Also has several disabled characters in key roles, including the protagonist, if that kind of representation is your thing.

Hull 03: Deeply strange, almost dreamlike, doesn’t really cohere into a narrative until the second half of the book. It all kind of made sense by then, but I’m not sure it was worth the wait.

The Last Astronaut: Good story, creepy aliens, some gross body horror, and a satisfying mystery. Also a good side plot about the relationship between a near-bankrupt NASA and not-Elon-musk’s space company. I thought it was hurt by the framing narrative of the book being a retrospective documentary, just telling the story straight up would have been better.

The Burning Dark: Apparently this is book 1 of a trilogy? The book was...fine. But that’s about it. There was a lot left unexplained, in a way that was more confusing than creepy. It seemed like there were some ideas that didn’t go anywhere, and the creepy-stuff scenes seemed disconnected from the rest of the book, the characters would wake up the next day and not seem really shaken by all the horror.

Currently reading Blindsight, open to any recommendations that are about creepy poo poo in space. Basically anything that reminds you of event horizon.

The Dry Salvages by Caitlin R Kiernan is short and kind of Event Horizon-y. I think you've otherwise hit all of the big ones, though, which bums me out.

fake edit: wait I haven't read Salvation Day but I think that's another

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

von Metternich posted:

I also like space horror so while I don't have much to add I'm glad you brought it up so I can see any others. (Blindsight owns, btw.)

Not a book, but Pandorum is probably the best, recent sci-fi horror film around. It has problems but we only get so many entries in this niche genre so I will stan it to my dying breath.