Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Winner's Circle Poll of People Who Win Contests
This poll is closed.
Bingo Cop Metis 31 17.51%
Major Isoor 13 7.34%
A Cup of Ramen 33 18.64%
Prokhor 14 7.91%
Arzaac 12 6.78%
Bowseretta 52 29.38%
Bernie 22 12.43%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the flynn stuff is already getting backed up by additional anecdotes a la vic micgogna so it seems on the level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

the flynn stuff is already getting backed up by additional anecdotes a la vic micgogna so it seems on the level

gently caress, dude

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

why can't people be fuckin normal!!!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

No heroes, no idols.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

im normal

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Huh I never considered that voice actors might have fans

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I've seen your posts

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I've seen your posts
thank you for vouching for me

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What's the flynn stuff?

Racism? Sexual harassment?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

they have lots, and the creepier ones take super advantage of that

vic micogna had a literal cult of them, led by his own mother

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

a smart decision in a creative industry is to say youre not political but register for a "free speech" alt-right social media platform advertised by ted cruz. even smarter is to share covid conspiracies and then say that someone else did that on your account but you weren't hacked and it's still your account

also wearing a mask is like becoming darth vader

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

There's always Rocksmith

It’s true!

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Whats the best game where Mercia is playable country?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Baron Porkface posted:

Whats the best game where Mercia is playable country?

CK3

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

FirstAidKite posted:

What's the flynn stuff?

Racism? Sexual harassment?

Sexual Predator

https://www.thegamer.com/quinton-flynn-sexual-predator-harassment-kingdom-hearts-metal-gear/

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

I'm hearing especially bad news about James Arnold Taylor and Quinton Flynn, hoping that poo poo is not true

we can get a new ratchet and raiden

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Slowly working through 13 Sentinels and I'm liking it a lot. It's hard to put the game down because there's an absolutely wild plot reveal like every 20 minutes. I'm also liking the combat a lot more than I thought. I was iffy at first when I saw that it's mostly just abstract symbols to represent units, but it has a cool futuristic tactical style to it. The combat seemed easy at first, but then I got to 1-8, and there were so many enemy units the game started to chug. That was intense as heck.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Y7 is making me seriously crave peking duck

urgh god the crispy skin and the scallions and the plum sauce gently caress

maybe this thanksgiving I learn how to make peking duck. i think i have a bicycle pump somewhere.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Jay Rust posted:

Cassandra Morris (Morgana/Kisaragi/Beffica) hasn’t done me wrong yet

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Posting with Power
In 1987, the president of Nintendo of America, Minoru Arakawa had been reading Japanese gaming magazines such as Famitsu, and thought that NOA should begin developing it's own house organ magazine.
Since the NES began being sold in the US the head of marketing, Gail Tilden, had been sending out feedback cards with game cartridges to better understand their audience. Starting in December of 1987, returning a feedback card came with the added reward of a free subscription to the Nintendo Fun Club, a short fan news letter that advertised upcoming games, and offered tips. This publication started at a mere 6 pages, but grew issue on issue until it was nearly the size of the paid subscription publication it would evolve into.

[Nintendo Power Cover Title, Issue 1]
The first issue of the bimonthly publication Nintendo Power was released in July 1988, although Nintendo of America had tested it's ability to publish full color documents with a booklet containing a similar style of tips and tricks called The Official Nintendo Player's Guide the previous year. Nintendo Power was a combination or advertisement for new games, customer service by way of providing tips and tricks, and marketing feedback as it provided similar feedback card as came with the cartridges, although now the reward for returning them was contributing to a poll about which games were most popular (Nintendo Power's 'Top 30') and entry into a sweepstakes. It also promoted a helpline called the Nintendo 'powerline' for customers to receive custom answers directly from 'game counselors' a sort of combined QA and IT group at NOA.

[Nintendo 'powerline' advertisement, Nintendo Power Issue 1]

[Gail Tilden, above left; Howard Philips, above right]

Nintendo Power was primarily edited and published by Gail Tilden, with editing support from head of logistics*, Howard Philips. Howard Philips was both the manager of Nintendo's Seattle warehouse, and the lead of the unofficial QA group within NOA, which also staffed the phone helpline. In other words, he was the person at NOA who played video games the most, so he was able to provide editing details that less experienced people might have missed. (He also was represented in the Nintendo Power comic strip Howard and Nester).

[Partial TOC, Nintendo Power Issue 1]

The tips and tricks provided were split into three basic article categories, 'Classified Information' which were generally developer provided hints and cheat codes, 'Counselors' Corner' which contained frequently asked user questions from the Nintendo 'powerline', along with weird sidebar biographies of the counselors themselves, and individual game coverage for each game when it came out, the scope of which was generally determined by how much Howard and the rest of the QA team had enjoyed the game. These value of the magazine's guidance were greatly aided by the ability of the magazine to publish actual screenshots assembled into maps using a device that was able to print images from a TV screen onto paper owned by a company called Work House in Tokyo. (Although EGM published it's first issue in April of 1989, so it seems the technology spread pretty quickly.)

Also included was 'pak watch' which containted small blurbs about upcoming games along with notoriously inaccurate release dates.

Much of the information for this :effort: post was sourced by Frank Cifaldi's interview with Gail and Howard: https://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/183233/nintendo_power_remembering_.php?page=1
*According to a document recovered by Metal Jesus, Howard Philips actual title appeared to have been "Game Master" and his position "Director of Game Creative [sic?]".

Will there be more Nintendo Power effort posts? Well, I took about a week to research this one, so, um, no promises. But future posts will be able to focus on individual issues so they should be easier.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Great post. Is there a way to read old gaming mags? I used to have stacks and stacks of EGMs and strategy guides growing up, but I’m pretty sure I tossed them out years ago. I’m really wishing now that I could leaf through some old articles.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

There are usually a few issues of the old gaming magazines at the internet archive!

https://archive.org/search.php?query=electronic%20gaming%20monthly

I was a subscriber to Video Games and Computer Entertainment, Game Players Magazine, and Next Generation back in the day

Edit:

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 16, 2020

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i had a subscription to Nintendo Power for something like 6-8 years in the late 90s-2000s, the best part was the pictures that were on the spines when next to each other on the shelf. but at some point they stopped doing that and i was pretty sad

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I lived and breathed EGM, PC Gamer and GamePro as a kid.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

A year or two ago, the fact that there was a collection of Nintendo Power issues on the Internet Archive went viral and Nintendo demanded they take them down. Replacement issues have gone up since and Nintendo seems to not know or not care so long as it doesn’t become a big newsworthy event.

MAN that magazine was a big part of my childhood, I need to reread that stuff sometime.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The only magazines I read was PC gamer for the demos that never worked right for me but worked flawlessly for my friends to my chagrin and Game Informer and Game Informer taught a young me games journalism was a fraud when a cover game Ninja: Shadows of Darkness which they hyped to the moon released a month later to a like 6.5 out of 10

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
lots of very good games i would've never heard about without nintendo power, at least not until they were horribly overpriced on the used market. and yeah you can usually find stuff on the archive

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
https://twitter.com/JATactor/status/1328102255820619776?s=20

lol tidus got old

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

also woah more bookmark colors

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

My Coconut Monkey custom model in Quake 2 deathwatch was the envy of HPBs everywhere.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

why can't people be fuckin normal!!!

I refuse

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

PC Gamer and PCXL for me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

giogadi posted:

Great post. Is there a way to read old gaming mags? I used to have stacks and stacks of EGMs and strategy guides growing up, but I’m pretty sure I tossed them out years ago. I’m really wishing now that I could leaf through some old articles.

There was an amazing compilation archive of nintendo power issues online for a bit, complete with a really simple reader interface. You'd think, since these things will never get new printings, ever, and that the corporate entity that produced them dissolved, they would've let it be. But nope, it got DMCA'd almost immediately.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

What is the DEAL with the Omi Alliance, always up to no good

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

how do i make my bookmarks be colourful?

edit: i found the setting, now my question is what colour should this thread be?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Bingo Cop Metis posted:

how do i make my bookmarks be colourful?

Click the bookmark star when viewing your bookmarks. Don't think you can change them with Awful on iOS, but it remembers your browser's setting.

E: watch out cause one of the colors is actually an unbookmark toggle

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Man the intro to Yakuza 7 is basically a feature film in itself, I'm already completely on board and the game proper hasn't even started yet lol

https://twitter.com/cleargatewest/status/1328207502861692928

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Rinkles posted:

Click the bookmark star when viewing your bookmarks. Don't think you can change them with Awful on iOS, but it remembers your browser's setting.

E: watch out cause one of the colors is actually an unbookmark toggle

I assume the unbookmark is grey? I've made games threads I like to post in purple, the best colour.

edit: oh god my bookmarks page is overwhelming now. I don't know if I like this

Metis of the Chat Thread fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Nov 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

These could make for some cool effort posts too, but you won't get them from me.
I will never reveal the Sushi-X secret.