Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
literally every day when I was in the office, and many times when wfh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

mediaphage posted:

they've put out some pretty piss-poor minis in the past so i wouldn't hold my breath. i still wonder if the next iteration isn't just going to look like an apple tv since they'll literally be using the same chips.

yeah. I just want to continue having just one monitor on my desk, and have a gaming computer and very good mac. I do that right now with a hackintosh, but that's not going to be possible once they drop intel support all together in like 5 years. iMac as display sometimes would have been nice, or mini on top of gaming pc. laptop in clamshell sucks. so I guess future mac pro but that's gonna be pricy ugh

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i sperged out about dacs for awhile and afaict above a basic level of capability (like, having it outside your computer case, or buying an apple product), there’s almost no difference between a $50 one and a $2000 one. it’s just more audiophile bullshit

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

people on forums love bench racing a dac with a 95db noise floor vs 110db, I assume they live in anechoic chambers or something because I live in a city and probably have at least 40db of normal background noise. it is possible to get something badly designed and have audible noise especially if you have really sensitive speakers but the differences are in the analog stage not the chip itself and usually involve sticking you head to the speaker when nothing is playing

people all convinced they can tell the difference between akm and ess “sound signatures” is bullshit

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kenny Logins posted:

if they got consistent about doing a mini phone even every other year i’d get one and never look back

lol

consistency in sizes? nah it’ll forever be swinging back and forward with some years small phones being available and others they’re not etc etc etc

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

FCKGW posted:

yeah, it was only an option on two model years iMac, and only the 27”. it was obviously a feature some engineer enabled because he thought it was neat but as soon as some hardware change occurred he couldn’t be assed to figure out how to fix it.

it got pulled when the imac switched to 5k screens probably because for a long time there was no display port tech able to move the data needed for 5k

displayport 1.4 over thunderbolt has been a thing for about a year so its possible it could come back in the arm imac refresh. would be neat as heck

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
lol

Baxate posted:

if you actually gave a crap you’d have a lightning/usb headphone amp by now. just lol at using a tiny lil built in phone dac with your “good” headphones

Baxate posted:

i use bluetooth headphones, op

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

poty posted:

it got pulled when the imac switched to 5k screens probably because for a long time there was no display port tech able to move the data needed for 5k

displayport 1.4 over thunderbolt has been a thing for about a year so its possible it could come back in the arm imac refresh. would be neat as heck

especially since they could really pull off the one cord thing easier these days imo

tbh i’m pretty skeptical most could tell any difference, with good implementation and set up, between wireless and wired cans

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
the new iPhone really is like a continued/reimagined iPhone 4/5/5s/SE. im really into it

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
tsmc stock is going nuts probably mostly because of the m1 performance

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

mediaphage posted:

especially since they could really pull off the one cord thing easier these days imo

tbh i’m pretty skeptical most could tell any difference, with good implementation and set up, between wireless and wired cans

what about the difference between the apple dongle and blueooth. how would you describe the dac in Bluetooth cans

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

poty posted:

tsmc stock is going nuts probably mostly because of the m1 performance

They're also manufacturing all the chips for the new consoles I believe

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
projecting.. ashamed of his own tiny lil built in

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
picked up a stand-alone qi charger at ikea for like $20 because what the heck. turns out they also have a $5 one that plugs into your existing usb c cable :owned:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I have one of their table lamps with a built in qi pad, it's pretty cool

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Crime on a Dime posted:

what about the difference between the apple dongle and blueooth. how would you describe the dac in Bluetooth cans

i don't get your question

bluetooth headphones used to be really noticeably inferior because transmission rates and lovely codecs pushed heavy compression, they sucked power, etc. better bluetooth standards and better codecs have substantially ameliorated that and i think that most people, again, would have a hard time differentiating between a high-end pair of wireless headphones and a good pair of wired ones.

of course wireless is always going to be more expensive for a given level of quality

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

They're also manufacturing all the chips for the new consoles I believe

taiwan is probably the most important country in the world per capita or something

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Apple posted:

Privacy protections
macOS has been designed to keep users and their data safe while respecting their privacy.

Gatekeeper performs online checks to verify if an app contains known malware and whether the developer’s signing certificate is revoked. We have never combined data from these checks with information about Apple users or their devices. We do not use data from these checks to learn what individual users are launching or running on their devices.

Notarization checks if the app contains known malware using an encrypted connection that is resilient to server failures.

These security checks have never included the user’s Apple ID or the identity of their device. To further protect privacy, we have stopped logging IP addresses associated with Developer ID certificate checks, and we will ensure that any collected IP addresses are removed from logs.

In addition, over the the next year we will introduce several changes to our security checks:

A new encrypted protocol for Developer ID certificate revocation checks
Strong protections against server failure
A new preference for users to opt out of these security protections

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i was wondering if the opt-out and running unsigned binaries stuff included that already and lol i guess theres my answer

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I only run the dankest unsigned code on my machine. makes me feel alive

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Gob's Program: Y/N?
?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

lord funk posted:

can you imagine if other gear had its own proprietary dongle for headphones

like if your nintendo switch had a $20 cable so you could play with ear buds
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/09/no-headphone-jack-nintendo-did-it-first/

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

apple does what nintendid

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
big slug trip report:

work mandated vpn causes kernel panic reboot loop thanks to new security signing

copy/paste is hosed up, I don’t even know how they managed this lmbo

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

the mini is larger than the SE1 but still narrow enough to be tightly grippable. the flat edges mean your grip is more secure and the phone isn't constantly trying to jump out of your hand. you can support it from the bottom with your pinky, or loosen your grip a bit to let it drop into the heel of your palm and it'll stop there, not slide away onto the floor. and it's lighter so those actions are easier to do. after putting up with the Excess for 2 years I'm pretty thrilled with it, ngl

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 17, 2020

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
agreeing with the above post. but also I got a grippy case for it which is nice

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

yeah, it was only an option on two model years iMac, and only the 27”. it was obviously a feature some engineer enabled because he thought it was neat but as soon as some hardware change occurred he couldn’t be assed to figure out how to fix it.

no, they had Target Display Mode for a good while. i used my late-2011 21.5" iMac as a display for my 2018 Mac Mini right up until I got a 4K display for the Mini.

they stopped shipping target display mode on the 2014 5K iMac because they had to build a custom controller to drive the 5K display, and external sources couldn't drive it (displayport, even over thunderbolt, couldn't do 5K at the time).

edit: beaten

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Nov 17, 2020

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

mediaphage posted:

isn’t it just barely bigger than the se?

found these

12 mini owners, is this accurate?

seems like a non-trivial difference, but a lot better than any of our other options if we want a phone of a reasonable size. too bad about the camera bump

pram
Jun 10, 2001
:rolleyes:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

yeah, it's bigger than the SE1 but smaller than the SE2

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
it's a phone

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

it's a pad

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that chrome like finish is ... um..

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
is any of the m1 reviews out yet?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
it’s fast

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Raluek posted:

found these

seems like a non-trivial difference, but a lot better than any of our other options if we want a phone of a reasonable size. too bad about the camera bump

looks like it’s basically the size of the se2 but with flat edges instead of bulging edges?

this poo poo is like cars, the new model always has to be bigger for some reason

guess I’m waiting for the iphone nano

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Doc Block posted:

it’s fast

how many threads can it rip? how many fps? how fast can it do ml?

e: also how big is the performance difference between air and pro?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
searching youtube for m1 reviews gives me some randos like this embarrassing poo poo that i couldn't watch for more than a second
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcXfDk2PISU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lol gross

seems like the mba ssd is 2700/2200 r/w, which, fine? who cares. also I guess adobe learned their lesson (lol) and put out photoshop beta with support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Raluek posted:

found these

none of those phones are the iphone mini

Soricidus posted:

looks like it’s basically the size of the se2 but with flat edges instead of bulging edges?

this poo poo is like cars, the new model always has to be bigger for some reason

guess I’m waiting for the iphone nano

the iphone 12 looking phone in those images is a knock-off or something, the mini doesn't have the three lens arrangement on the rear, and the body is too thick

also lol @ that chrome job

e: the size is about right though. my iphone se and mini for comparison

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Nov 17, 2020