Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i really liked The Surrounding Game - that one's about go and pro players

the netflix one? i liked that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

infernal machines posted:

when do you think johnny mnemonic came out?

way before the matrix

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

fart simpson posted:

this is maybe a weird nitpick but the thing that bothered me most about the chess show is how the main character never really has a coach or even people to practice with except for a couple extremely short periods of time. it's kinda implied she's read a bunch of books on her own off screen, but the show portrays her just as a unique genius who was able to become the best player in the world by pure talent & instinct. you never really get the impression she was studying or trying very hard, and all the players she ended up winning against were also talented & took the game seriously while she just got wasted all the time but it didnt matter because she was naturally so much better than everyone else. she sobered up like 1 day before her world championship match and that was enough to win

the truth of it is boring

A lot of times talent is just being good at figuring out what you need to do and then streamlining practice and memorization

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
the show seemed pretty clear that she spent a ton of time practicing and reading chess books and magazines, i guess you wanted a training montage tho

anyway i don't give a poo poo about chess and found it compelling and satisfying, so ymmv

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i guess i would have appreciated a training montage, yeah. i found it unbelievable that she never really had a coach, she was just doing it all on her own except for a small amount of help that she got right near the end

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
it was drugs

also the history of weird chess savants was worth the price of admission

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i fuckin love a good training montage, no lie

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

same

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
the training montage for the queens gambit would be by kronos quartet

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

becoming a chess grandmaster so you can defeat death like in the movie and become immortal

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

wouldnt work because death presumably has access to an iphone with stockfish

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
just cheat at battleship it's not hard

it's just embarrassing

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

actually how do you get $30M and keanu reeves, take a very short story about a technical boy who goes lo-tek with a sawed off shotgun and go all oooh this is the matrix ooooh look at the cyber?

it's not bad but it could have been an early john wick

have you seen new rose hotel

chris walken and willem dafoe are the leads and it still manages to be a complete mess

though i don't think gibson had a hand in the adaptation - it's just based on one of his short stories

infernal machines posted:

when do you think johnny mnemonic came out?

lol do you remember the vhs for it

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

chris walken and willem dafoe are the leads and it still manages to be a complete mess

though i don't think gibson had a hand in the adaptation - it's just based on one of his short stories

that sounds like a lot talent to throw at something that never got my attention

now i have to watch it

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

The Posting Imam posted:

i do not have netflix but i have basically analyzed this show thoroughly in the theater of my mind to bring you what i assume it is like

Old Chess Guy (moving his pieces very smugly): Are you lost at the chess tournament? The Betty Crocker Cooking Convention for Nice Young Ladies is actually next door.
Queen of Chess: Just wait until you see my chess moves
Old Chess Guy: ALl of the chess pieces are men because that's who the game is for. Even the horse and the castle are boys. The king is the most important piece. A woman will never be Vice President of the United States and certainly not a mixed race girl boss to boot because you will not pave the way for her
Queen of Chess: You are forgetting the most powerful piece of all, the Queen. Checkmate
Old Chess Guy: gently caress! How could I forget about that chess piece

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

TOOT BOOT posted:

the truth of it is boring

A lot of times talent is just being good at figuring out what you need to do and then streamlining practice and memorization

yeah. the trope of the natural genius is stupid. I think it comes from people not seeing all the practice that goes into stuff. like with sports most people probably played some or they see or hear about practice all the time so they get it. but with nerd poo poo the practice goes on in a room somewhere that most people will never see so they can't comprehend that mental skills require the same amount of practice and discipline as physics ones.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lol. she made the best chess move

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Shaggar posted:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Shaggar posted:

yeah. the trope of the natural genius is stupid. I think it comes from people not seeing all the practice that goes into stuff. like with sports most people probably played some or they see or hear about practice all the time so they get it. but with nerd poo poo the practice goes on in a room somewhere that most people will never see so they can't comprehend that mental skills require the same amount of practice and discipline as physics ones.

yeah. would they make a movie about golf where the main character was just naturally the best player in the world despite being a drunk and not having a coach or training partners? i mean i guess they did but it’s an adam sandler comedy movie

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
even then his character was a hockey player, so atleast theres some notion of physical training if not specifically for golf.

if they were to make that movie in modern adam sandler times tho, it would definitely be just a drunk dude who walks on to the course at a tournament and hits a ball perfectly.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the main point of happy gilmore is that golf is a dumb and bad sport

e: if you make a movie about high-level chess though you absolutely should also spend a good fraction of the runtime making sure the audience know how stupidly important and monumentally boring opening theory is.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
starcraft 2 is the good version of chess

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the main point of happy gilmore is that golf is a dumb and bad sport

e: if you make a movie about high-level chess though you absolutely should also spend a good fraction of the runtime making sure the audience know how stupidly important and monumentally boring opening theory is.

also one episode should have been literally 4 hours of two people sitting there in total silence thinking for 5-20 minutes between moves

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol do you remember the vhs for it

yes.

new rose hotel was actually the comparison i was going to make re: complaints about cyberspace or whatever in johnny mnemonic

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

that sounds like a lot talent to throw at something that never got my attention

now i have to watch it

you'll see why pretty quick. it's not "so bad it's good" it's just boring as hell

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

fart simpson posted:

also one episode should have been literally 4 hours of two people sitting there in total silence thinking for 5-20 minutes between moves

as someone who has watched each of the last 3 world championships... yeah okay that's accurate. if you don't have a good commentator it's pretty worthless. all too often the commentators are grandmasters themselves and are basically chatting amongst themselves

but there's a guy 'chessnetwork' that is amazing and i highly recommend, especially for the championship commentary. he streams on twitch

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol

and from then on, she was truly the playerest of games

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

lord funk posted:

as someone who has watched each of the last 3 world championships... yeah okay that's accurate. if you don't have a good commentator it's pretty worthless. all too often the commentators are grandmasters themselves and are basically chatting amongst themselves

but there's a guy 'chessnetwork' that is amazing and i highly recommend, especially for the championship commentary. he streams on twitch

and for maximum realism, that 4 hour game should end in a draw

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

fart simpson posted:

and for maximum realism, that 4 hour game should end in a draw

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the dragonball z of sports shows

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Jabor posted:

the dragonball z of sports shows

episode 253: Kasparov screams for 20 minutes before unleashing his caro-kann

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Wife: "Hey season 2 of that weird ferret show starts tonight."

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
will ferret?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

having not seen it I'm declaring that the netflix chess show is an anime

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

oh, nice! we forgot about the last episode and finished the series a few months late, so this is good timing. we also have to start/finish (for me) lovecraft country so thisll be good to mix in so we dont get too binge-y with things again

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shaggar posted:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

the show you just keep waiting for it to fail

get to the good part!

you had nicole kidman daniel craig and sam elliot last time

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

the show you just keep waiting for it to fail

get to the good part!

you had nicole kidman daniel craig and sam elliot last time

still lolling that they left the movie with no resolution but at least avoided the literally on a cliff cliffhanger ending of the first book. its so much setup for the other two books, so hopefully we can get into the story now

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

time to fire up the hbo subscription again

glad this is getting a decent adaptation after the dumpster fire of a movie

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Oneiros posted:

glad this is getting a decent adaptation after the dumpster fire of a movie