Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Honestly everything shutting the gently caress down this year is the best thing that's ever happened to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I did a decent amount of strength training in my early thirties and it really changed my body shape especially my chest and shoulders, and even after years of not doing any, the shape change is still there

every singe muscle fibre is connected to a neuron in your brain. when you first start really pushing weight you engage more neurons and fibres than ever and once they’re going they’re kinda now just going and so you retain more muscle mass simply thru virtue of doing in some stage in your life

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Honestly everything shutting the gently caress down this year is the best thing that's ever happened to me.

I feel really weird about this. because obviously the pandemic is destroying many people's lives and livelihoods. but I am in a new situation, needing to care for my almostwife's 82 year old mother, and we are both so lucky to be able to work from home at this time. if it were a normal year we would be looking at hiring outside care since we both work. and now that we're here in her mom's house, basically living out of her childhood room, I have been conditioned to accept this sort of constantly-at-home reality since we've been living that way anyway due to covid. so in the end, all of this is less painful than it would have otherwise been, and I must agree that covid has helped our lives. it's so perverse, how many people die, and yet WE are helped. WE who do not need it.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

echinopsis posted:

I did a decent amount of strength training in my early thirties and it really changed my body shape especially my chest and shoulders, and even after years of not doing any, the shape change is still there

every singe muscle fibre is connected to a neuron in your brain. when you first start really pushing weight you engage more neurons and fibres than ever and once they’re going they’re kinda now just going and so you retain more muscle mass simply thru virtue of doing in some stage in your life

yeah i’m really glad i lifted weights as a teenager / through college / a bit in my twenties

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

PIZZA.BAT posted:

yeah i’m really glad i lifted weights as a teenager / through college / a bit in my twenties

same

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

rotor posted:

today i woke up and i think i scratched my eye on my pillow and it really hurt to keep it open

i once scratched my eyeball on some of the dried eyeball mucus you get overnight :saddowns:

"sleepy seeds" is what my brain thinks they're called

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
anyone who has kids should know that the skeletal system stops growing somewhere around 21 or so and you cant make the skeleton stronger afterward

and that simply by putting a load thru the skeleton (strength training is specific for this) before that age will make the skeleton stronger, and (imo) should be specifically encouraged especially in women

for one of my sons itll be pleasure the other not so much lol

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
i’ve read before that power (weight) training is always a good idea through to middle-old age, if you are able. as long as you’re doing it properly and safely it yields net benefits. not sure if that’s still the consensus but worth looking into

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
heh. yeah i lift weights. 20oz of gamer fuel, multiple reps daily.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

I never did any strength training and my skeleton still managed to be incredibly strong. Like I got the poo poo knocked out of me with a steel pipe once and only broke part of the way through my arm 🤷🏻‍♀️

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
“congressman bono sends his regards”

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

for the audience out there fatty crab cakes once talked about how she used to repeatedly prank call sonny bono’s office and for some reason i find the whole thing very entertaining.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
rip mr cher, killed by a tree

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

more like sonny oh no!!

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

echinopsis posted:

anyone who has kids should know that the skeletal system stops growing somewhere around 21 or so and you cant make the skeleton stronger afterward

and that simply by putting a load thru the skeleton (strength training is specific for this) before that age will make the skeleton stronger, and (imo) should be specifically encouraged especially in women

for one of my sons itll be pleasure the other not so much lol

yeah, i just read "jaws" and it's mostly about making your kids chew their food properly so their jaws grow to the right size, the skeleton needs the right stressors to grow to its full potential. i can only imagine what weight training does to your whole body when you're still growing

An cruiscin lan
Mar 4, 2020

https://imgur.com/qlOD5U4

An cruiscin lan fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 15, 2020

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Once the Disease of Gluttonous Aristocrats, Gout Is Now Tormenting the Masses

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

my stepdads beer posted:

yeah, i just read "jaws" and it's mostly about making your kids chew their food properly so their jaws grow to the right size, the skeleton needs the right stressors to grow to its full potential. i can only imagine what weight training does to your whole body when you're still growing

for sure. it’s something you basically have to encourage your kids to do because by the time they’re old enough to want to do that themselves the opportunity has gone.

reduces lifetime risk of osteoporosis and breaks from falls etc

i also believe the chewing thing is why so many people have not straight teeth?? too much soft food equals bung teeth. like japan

get kids chewing bones

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

No poo poo.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

japan and the uk both have lovely teeth because of historic lack of genetic diversity, iirc.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

japan and the uk both have lovely teeth because of historic lack of genetic diversity, iirc.

seriouspost: americans have the worst teeth in the so-called "west" because they're an oligarchic police state where people do not have access to basic necessities, like dental care

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

they have excellent teeth in the uk, https://www.oecd-ilibrary.org/docse...11D274784989B82

otoh i also don't think they have poor genetic diversity, but i don't think that helps this theory.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Nov 16, 2020

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

"The most-conquered island on the planet has a lack of genetic diversity." - Alfred "Marilyn Nomroe" Linclon.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i guess the old thing i was thinking of re: british teeth was incorrect.

there are a lot of tooth problems in japan due to lack of genetic diversity, though. there are lots of journal articles that discuss it.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Mr. Nice! posted:

i guess the old thing i was thinking of re: british teeth was incorrect.

there are a lot of tooth problems in japan due to lack of genetic diversity, though. there are lots of journal articles that discuss it.

name 5 journal articles then

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Brit teeth are usually looked after by the state with regard to cavities and plaque cleaning from the dentists - actual structural stuff - but straightening with braces for kids is a cost and so is whitening/bleaching; yeah I'll take slightly yellow / slightly wonky smiles over a big queue of people who can't afford any care in america waiting for free dental work by charitable dentists in a Walmart parking lot.

Of course in this image-obsessed era a lot of folks will splash for the braces and bleaching so any millennial / zoomer with a bit of spare cash will have well-kept 'hollywood' teeth.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

fart simpson posted:

name 5 journal articles then

oh fuuuuck!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

street justice callout in the goutse thread. never thoiught i'd see it.......

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Brit teeth are usually looked after by the state with regard to cavities and plaque cleaning from the dentists - actual structural stuff - but straightening with braces for kids is a cost and so is whitening/bleaching; yeah I'll take slightly yellow / slightly wonky smiles over a big queue of people who can't afford any care in america waiting for free dental work by charitable dentists in a Walmart parking lot.

americans think the only measure of good vs bad teeth is how straight they are.

12yr old kid with 15 fillings? no thats fine as long as they're all in a neat row.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

c dotage s: i have a lovely cold and am coughing a lot and also my sciatica is back with a loving vengeance so rip me i guess.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sweevo posted:

americans think the only measure of good vs bad teeth is how straight they are.

12yr old kid with 15 fillings? no thats fine as long as they're all in a neat row.

as always, Americans will favour performance* over good. that's why they have aerons and eames chairs and everything they eat.

*) As in a loving pantomime, not as in a really big engine or whatever, although even then

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

3D Megadoodoo posted:

as always, Americans will favour performance* over good. that's why they have aerons and eames chairs and everything they eat.

*) As in a loving pantomime, not as in a really big engine or whatever, although even then

aeron chairs have those mesh seats, and they're great

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

prefect posted:

aeron chairs have those mesh seats, and they're great

thats great if you fart all the time

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

3D Megadoodoo posted:

also, they keep your butt from getting sweaty

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
aeron and steelcase chairs are fine? they're just so expensive i buy the clones.

also lol at the idea that americans have a lock on lovely food practices

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

drat those americans and their weird processed food *squeezes herring pate from toothpaste tube*

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i eat mutilated songbirds while hiding under a pillowcase so god can't see me

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I can hear you're posting from across the Baltic Sea, Jerry

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

President Beep posted:

i eat mutilated songbirds while hiding under a pillowcase so god can't see me

if you just eat your food indoors, i figure you can skip the pillowcase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i eat my mutilated songbirds through a sheet with a hole in it in a big bed with my wife