Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I can think of a couple of major differences a hypothetical non-terrible president would have made:

-Would have put a nonpartisan expert in charge instead of his idiot son-in-law

-Would not have sorted states into allies and enemies and used that to direct flows of supplies

-Would not have had the feds seize statebound PPE shipments

-Would not have declared that the federal government was a 51st state that deserved its own allocation of PPE

-Would not have refused to personally perform responsible behavior in public to set an example

-Would not have gotten into slapfights with the CDC, or other countries' equivalents, or related NGOs

There would likely still be issues at the state level or in the state-federal cooperation but not on the level of the aggressively malicious stupidity we got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I’m aspiring to become a great “historian” (whatever those citation marks means) and I will do my damndest to ensure that there is no doubt in the historical record that Trump led the worst pandemic response imaginable.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

haveblue posted:

I can think of a couple of major differences a hypothetical non-terrible president would have made:

-Would not have sorted states into allies and enemies and used that to direct flows of supplies

-Would not have declared that the federal government was a 51st state that deserved its own allocation of PPE

-Would not have refused to personally perform responsible behavior in public to set an example

-Would not have gotten into slapfights with the CDC, or other countries' equivalents, or related NGOs

There would likely still be issues at the state level or in the state-federal cooperation but not on the level of the aggressively malicious stupidity we got.

Biden sucks but I'm at least confident he would not have done any of those things.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Nix Panicus posted:

After seeing the response from such Democratic luminaries as Cuomo, DeBlasio, and Newsom, as well as the abject failures of several democrat stronghold/trifecta states, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Trump's response to corona wasn't uniquely terrible, and likely any president would have hosed up as badly just as a function of how much America sucks.

Just to be clear, you're talking about the guy who abused federal resources to steal PPE from states, the guy who refused to wear a mask for 4 months, the guy who deliberately decided not to do anything about the virus because it was only hurting blue states .

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Trump loving stole PPE shipments.
And then resold them...

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Oh good, more slapfights.

:siren: IK Note :siren:

For the love of god, if you're only posting to tell other posters that they are dumb or to dog pile in a slapfight, you're going to get probed.

Either engage with the point/post being made or don't bother posting.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

haveblue posted:

Also the USPS plan to mail masks to every household that Trump actively blocked

https://www.postal-reporter.com/blo...an%20Oversight.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Also the USPS plan to mail masks to every household that Trump actively blocked

It’s such a hilarious no-brainer, too.

I never thought I’d see Whistlin’-Past-The-Graveyard as national policy but, welp

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's becoming more and more clear that the Republican strategy is to hamstring this administration out of the gate which is disappointing because it means people are going to die if we don't have a good transition for the vaccine program.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

LeeMajors posted:

I never thought I’d see Whistlin’-Past-The-Graveyard as national policy but, welp

Did you not see Biden's absolute refusal to support Medicare For All during this whole dog and pony show we call an election cycle?

e: I'd like to ask all of the folks intoning that Hillary would've squashed the pandemic how they think spurned MAGA chuds, angry off of having the 2016 election "stolen" from them would have reacted to Hillary telling them to social distance, wear a mask, and skip the holidays this year? A Democrat administration can make calls for public action, but ultimately it's up to the citizenry and I don't see the 40-whatever% of the country's proud chuds playing any nicer under Hillary.

Lib and let die fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 16, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

haveblue posted:

- Would not have irresponsibly promoted quack "cures" in the hopes one of them might work and take credit for that

- Would not have flamed ethnic violence against region of origin

- Would not have given a definite OPEN BY date

- Would not have turned info briefings into the Pay Attention to Me show

- Would not have let states twist in the wind, creating a patchwork of responses and guidelines

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Slowpoke! posted:

I’m not willing to say Trump had better foreign policy than Obama, and no amount of crying about Libya, Yemen, and drone strikes will change my mind.

There's also enabling a fascist in Brazil, who denied the existence of COVID even after he caught it, as well as legitimizing the military coup in Honduras which is still killing protestors to this day. And the fact that we're extremely likely to be responsible for training and arming ISIS:
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/isis-weapons-arsenal-included-some-purchased-u-s-government-n829201
On top of starting the sanctioning of Venezuela and Iran in the first place.

Also, and this is pure conspiracy on my part & the above is bad enough, but the beats of the Bolivia coup attempt match up with Honduras to an extent that is extremely concerning. At best it means Trump's natsecs are plagiarists, at worst we might have had a greater hand in the Honduras coup than we currently know.

quote:

Trump had a terrible foreign policy and the fact that he didn’t start a new war doesn’t mean he didn’t try. He literally assassinated a top Iranian military leader while he was with one of our allies, and if it wasn’t for Iran shooting down their own civilian airplane and having a massive COVID outbreak, things might have turned out differently.

Multiple presidents can have bad foreign policy! Obama being awful on foreign policy doesnt mean Trump is good on foreign policy! That Obama's competent imperialism was horrific does not mean Trump's incompetent imperialism was benevolent!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The theoretical D in charge of the pandemic response would have been Hillary, mind.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ewiley posted:

Eagerly awaiting President Jianyu, may we all be 7’s on the scale of freshness.

If only more Florida Men were like Jason

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
-would not have left the WHO (Biden can undo this before it goes into effect in July)

-Would not have nearly killed a bunch of his White House people, multiple times, by having super spreader events there (if those people have been helping with the pandemic, instead of being evil morons, this would've been a bad thing instead of a good thing)

-Would not have directly spread coronavirus by holding mass rallies

-Refused to personally report accurate testing that may or may not have been done himself and then put his direct opponent in danger during a debate, still very possibly in purpose to murder the opposition

Pick fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 16, 2020

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

trump is uniquely terrible on COVID. we really should be more comfortable with pointing that out instead of looking at people who aren't the president and who are doing objectively better jobs, pointing to missteps and negative hindsights and saying "see, they both failed!"

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

To be clear, the only thing that would have slowed corona was a total lockdown supported by ongoing stimulus. The closest we got to that was a half assed quarantine, a one time check, and extended unemployment that relied on incredibly overwhelmed state unemployment offices to distribute, and theres no real reason to suspect that would have been different under Clinton. Concretely, even in the midst of a third wave that makes the first two peaks look like jokes Biden still maintains he won't start a second lockdown. All of Trumps various pratfalls and crimes are essentially footnotes compared to the total failure of the American system to grind itself to a halt to protect the vulnerable. Exponential growth would have washed all of a hypothetical Clinton's WE HEAR YOU, WE SEE YOUR SUFFERING early response away

And, again, look at things like Cuomo providing legal cover to nursing homes that let their charges die, something that impressed the republicans so much they tried to cram it into their own relief bills. And OPEN ER UP fever didn't only infect red states. Every state in the union, whether democrat trifecta or ruby red gop stronghold, hosed up its lockdown in the way American federalism does best. America was always going to be a poo poo show. The belief that it was uniquely Trump ignores the core flaws of the nation and the ideology of its oligarchs.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

RBA Starblade posted:

If only more Florida Men were like Jason

And Donkey Doug and Pillboy. Donkey Doug loved and cared for his son, don't forget.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Wait, are people both sides are the same-ing the loving pandemic? How loving broken can you get. If you honestly think that, you really don't actually give a poo poo about anything. You're infected by the same brain worms as glenn greenwald.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Handsome Ralph posted:

:confused: It's not ironic, it's literally celebrating Sherman burning the confederate flag which is/was objectively a good thing in my book.

I won’t disagree but nobody is going to know that without being part of the in group. I just see confederate flags next to posts.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Wait, are people both sides are the same the loving pandemic? How loving broken can you get. If you honestly think that, you really don't actually give a poo poo about anything. You're infected by the same brain worms as glenn greenwald.

Marx Was A Lib posted:

e: I'd like to ask all of the folks intoning that Hillary would've squashed the pandemic how they think spurned MAGA chuds, angry off of having the 2016 election "stolen" from them would have reacted to Hillary telling them to social distance, wear a mask, and skip the holidays this year? A Democrat administration can make calls for public action, but ultimately it's up to the citizenry and I don't see the 40-whatever% of the country's proud chuds playing any nicer under Hillary.

e:

LeeMajors posted:

One crisis at a time, broham.

No.

Lib and let die fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 16, 2020

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Marx Was A Lib posted:

Did you not see Biden's absolute refusal to support Medicare For All during this whole dog and pony show we call an election cycle?

One crisis at a time, broham.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Marx Was A Lib posted:

I believe the poster you're responding to isn't arguing that burning the confederate flag is bad, but that creating a visage of that symbol where one wouldn't have existed otherwise is....questionable, at best. It's a digital version of "buying nikes to burn to own the libs"

GE thread refugees were advised we were welcome here. We are not. Slapfights are the inevitable result when two cultures clash.

uh. You have a loving Stalin gang tag.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

OddObserver posted:

uh. You have a loving Stalin gang tag.

You don't know how people got those?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Infinite Karma posted:

If Obama and Bush and Reagan and Nixon and Trump are all the same murdering piece of poo poo fascist, racist, imperialist monsters, what's the point of even discussing US politics? Every leader we've ever had and will have for the forseeable future is the same: an irredeemable, murdering, imperialist fascist?

to feel smarter than other people by coming up with complicated justifications for why dropping cluster bombs on Yemeni school buses is good if the President is a Democrat and the head of the Penatgon is a woman

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nix Panicus posted:

To be clear, the only thing that would have slowed corona was a total lockdown supported by ongoing stimulus. The closest we got to that was a half assed quarantine, a one time check, and extended unemployment that relied on incredibly overwhelmed state unemployment offices to distribute, and theres no real reason to suspect that would have been different under Clinton. Concretely, even in the midst of a third wave that makes the first two peaks look like jokes Biden still maintains he won't start a second lockdown..

This is not true.

A general lockdown with a subsidy is the only thing that would have *stopped* the pandemic.

All the other things mentioned above are things that could have *slowed* the pandemic, especially the general distribution of masks.

There is no need to both-sides-bad the pandemic response. Binaries are a silly way to analyze most issues and especially this one where there was a wide spectrum of possible responses and each step on that spectrum and each individual action represents marginal improvement.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

mediaphage posted:

I won’t disagree but nobody is going to know that without being part of the in group. I just see confederate flags next to posts.

That's fair. Though if anyone ever calls it out again, I'm more than happy to indulge them and explain it.

Marx Was A Lib posted:

I don't think Clinton would have squashed the pandemic had it played out the same way it did for Trump earlier this year (so Jan through early March) and the problem with that is that it assumes Clinton or any other Dem downplayed or ignored the virus just as much as Trump did during the early months of this year.

I certainly do think that it would not have blown up the same way it did under Trump had she been in office and took precautions earlier in the year/late last year rather than ignoring it or dismissing it as a hoax.

I mean it's a giant what if, and the problem with that is that there is no objectively correct answer here.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Pick posted:

-would not have left the WHO (Biden can undo this before it goes into effect in July)

To expand on this with regards to another disaster of Trump's foreign policy that doesn't get enough attention: freezing US contributions to the WHO during a pandemic, which impacted the Pan-American Health Organization at a critical time (https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/27/world/trump-bolsonaro-coronavirus-latin-america.html)

quote:

White House officials say the administration withheld payments from the health organization to demand transparency. They note that the United States helped the region in other ways, by donating tens of millions of dollars through organizations like the World Food Program, UNICEF and the Red Cross. Over the summer, Washington sent hundreds of excess ventilators directly to government health systems.

But public health experts say the Pan-American Health Organization — with offices inside every health ministry and nearly 120 years of experience tackling epidemics — was uniquely positioned to confront Covid-19. Even some critics of the Cuban program say that punishing the health agency sabotaged that effort.

“PAHO did not have the tools and they didn’t have the money,” said Dr. Mandetta, the former Brazilian health minister who worked with Mr. Bolsonaro to expel the Cubans. “PAHO couldn’t expand the way that they needed to, and in Ecuador, in Bolivia, you had people dying in their homes and bodies left outside in the streets because of the lack of assistance.”

quote:

It [Pan-American Health Organization] is often known as the regional arm of the World Health Organization, yet it is decades older and receives much more funding from member states. Public-health experts credit the agency with eradicating smallpox, polio and measles from Latin America long before they were eliminated from Africa and Asia.

The Trump administration focused intensely on the organization’s ties to Cuba, even though its involvement with the Cuban doctors had ended about a year earlier, when they left Brazil. The United States stopped paying its annual dues of $110 million, more than half the agency’s core budget. Mr. Bolsonaro’s government also froze payment of its $24 million in dues. Mr. Bolsonaro and his staff refused to comment for this article. John Ullyot, a National Security Council spokesman, defended the American funding cutoff as an important step “to demand accountability from all international health organizations that depend on American taxpayer resources.”

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

mediaphage posted:

Do you not see it burst into flames and then make fun of maralago?

I don't know what it is but it clearly is not celebrating the confederate flag

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Get over hating Hillary jfc.

The pandemic was largely apolitical until the loving president made it deeply political. I cannot believe the knots that people will twist themselves into the blame Hillary for everything, somehow, still. It's been four years, get over it.

Also, even Republicans in republican states were pretty good with closing down, and a lot of them still don't go out and about, until literally the president told them to be mad about it. This is a following opinion not a leading one.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Nix Panicus posted:

And, again, look at things like Cuomo providing legal cover to nursing homes that let their charges die, something that impressed the republicans so much they tried to cram it into their own relief bills. And OPEN ER UP fever didn't only infect red states. Every state in the union, whether democrat trifecta or ruby red gop stronghold, hosed up its lockdown in the way American federalism does best. America was always going to be a poo poo show. The belief that it was uniquely Trump ignores the core flaws of the nation and the ideology of its oligarchs.

I'll add to this that we already voted and elected the lesser of two evils, so all of this is academic. Joe Biden is going to be in charge and he needs to do more than what was done, we'll see how hard he tries.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Has Trump attacked twitter’s warning system yet? It’s kind of pointless but you’d think he would be a little upset over that.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Wait, are people both sides are the same-ing the loving pandemic? How loving broken can you get. If you honestly think that, you really don't actually give a poo poo about anything. You're infected by the same brain worms as glenn greenwald.

I dont know if it should be punishable, but I think we should probably discourage this genre of "really? Really? REALLY? RRREEEEAAAALLYYYY?" posting in D&D. It doesnt exactly foster much discussion.

The only way we would have managed to avoid COVID being a disaster, in my opinion, would have been if we either shut down the economy like China did, or if we had comprehensive and thorough track-and-trace & quarantine like South Korea did. I do not personally believe Clinton, or even Bernie, could have accomplished either; we'd sooner coup ourselves than shut down the economy, and our pathetic healthcare infrastructure combined with our populations' reluctance to incur medical bills would have sabotaged T&T&Q.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

MonsieurChoc posted:

Biden [...] built the child cages

I cannot find anything to support this statement.

Marx Was A Lib posted:

You are taking a statement saying that "Hillary would have handled this much better" and making into a strawman argument of "Hillary would have quashed the pandemic".

It's also pretty silly to take a bunch of things that Hillary could have done and say "It wouldn't have mattered anyway!" with the exact same people where it currently isn't mattering with now.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 16, 2020

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

i am harry posted:

Trump loving stole PPE shipments.
And then resold them...

During the height of the Federal government doing that I did an interview on a radio station in Europe (I'm one of the very few Americans who speaks the language the station broadcasts in) and when I told them that they straight up didn't believe me until I showed them sources because they thought that even Trump's administration couldn't be that craven and mercenary.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

haveblue posted:

sums it up well

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/NewDay/status/1328319845012824065?s=20

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

How about the myriad of refutations that have been posted all over the last page or two of how it would have been better.

This is some nihilist sea lioning.

Neurolimal posted:

I dont know if it should be punishable, but I think we should probably discourage this genre of "really? Really? REALLY? RRREEEEAAAALLYYYY?" posting in D&D. It doesnt exactly foster much discussion.

The only way we would have managed to avoid COVID being a disaster, in my opinion, would have been if we either shut down the economy like China did, or if we had comprehensive and thorough track-and-trace & quarantine like South Korea did. I do not personally believe Clinton, or even Bernie, could have accomplished either; we'd sooner coup ourselves than shut down the economy, and our pathetic healthcare infrastructure combined with our populations' reluctance to incur medical bills would have sabotaged T&T&Q.

Don't post moronic takes if you don't want someone to be critical of your posts. Also, the idea that it doesn't foster discussion is refuted by the fact you replied to it.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Nix Panicus posted:

After seeing the response from such Democratic luminaries as Cuomo, DeBlasio, and Newsom, as well as the abject failures of several democrat stronghold/trifecta states, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Trump's response to corona wasn't uniquely terrible, and likely any president would have hosed up as badly just as a function of how much America sucks.

Obama literally left a Pandemic Playbook that they threw out because Trump hates Obama.

America only sucks on this because you had an orange idiot in the white house amplifying and repeating voices that denied and minimized the effects of the virus. Any other president might have embellished the effects of their response, but actively telling people not to wear a mask and that the disease was going to disappear only encouraged people to be willfully stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Handsome Ralph posted:

I don't think Clinton would have squashed the pandemic had it played out the same way it did for Trump earlier this year (so Jan through early March) and the problem with that is that it assumes Clinton or any other Dem downplayed or ignored the virus just as much as Trump did during the early months of this year.

I certainly do think that it would not have blown up the same way it did under Trump had she been in office and took precautions earlier in the year/late last year rather than ignoring it or dismissing it as a hoax.

I mean it's a giant what if, and the problem with that is that there is no objectively correct answer here.

I don't know, I think we have a pretty good indicator of how chuds would have reacted - if nothing else, their protests and general refusal to comply in democrat states with democrat governors and democrat legislative bodies is a perfect microcosm of how they'd react under a democrat administration at the federal level.

and, pre-emptively: this is not an attempt to blame alternate-timeline hillary for any deaths, but it is irresponsible to think that the coalition of morons that exist today and refuse to do what they're supposed to because "it's a radical left new world order democrat conspiracy to stop your soul from communing to god through your oral hole" wouldn't exist under a democrat administration.

I remember being exposed to, say, Alex Jones's nonsense as far back as my senior year in HS (2004).

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

How about the myriad of refutations that have been posted all over the last page or two of how it would have been better.

This is some nihilist sea lioning.

"The Democrat president wants to do this, it's clearly a trick to take our liberty away, we're not doing any of it."

If I'm engaging in nihilist sea lioning (whatever the gently caress that means), then you're being blindly optimistic.

I never denied that Hillary would issue whatever statements and directives she should, I'm asking if anyone is under the, frankly, delusional belief that the group of people actively refusing to comply under Trump would comply under Hillary.

rear end.

Lib and let die fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 16, 2020