Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

Please pay in exact change.
Is it okay to mention Sam’s Club in this thread?

Just moved and have a Sam’s Club 14 minutes away but a Costco about 35 minutes away. Is it worth it for real? I’ve had a Sam’s membership because I never had the option for Costco before now..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Mudcrab Merchant posted:

Just moved and have a Sam’s Club 14 minutes away but a Costco about 35 minutes away. Is it worth it for real? I’ve had a Sam’s membership because I never had the option for Costco before now..

Honestly, they're both fine if you only buy generic consumer goods like paper towels and stuff. But Costco always has a better variety of goods and a ton of upscale stuff at very affordable prices. Costco also has insanely cheap organic eggs and milk and stuff like that, so if you buy/want to buy the pricier stuff, you'll definitely appreciate the massive savings at Costco.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Mudcrab Merchant posted:

Whoa

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Mudcrab Merchant posted:

:frogout:

gently caress the Walton's. I drive an extra 10 minutes away to a smaller Target than a Walmart Supercenter about 5 minutes from me.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Yeah, even leaving aside the politics or whatever (which is totally fine, people have to buy food from somewhere), I find that the 'Sco has better: fresh produce, organics (milk, eggs), and things like consumer electronics, etc. Just go to both, ask to come in, and walk around looking at the selection.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

costco's one fault is the number of products that produce a lot more waste than their sams counterpart. like applesauce, costco only has individual pouches, while sam's sells big containers. also sams sells fruit in big and little recyclable cans, while costco only has a box of individual plastic fruit cups.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Don’t forget the Costco curse. The minute you really start to love a product and buy it regularly is the minute it goes out of stock permanently.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

killer crane posted:

costco's one fault is the number of products that produce a lot more waste than their sams counterpart. like applesauce, costco only has individual pouches, while sam's sells big containers. also sams sells fruit in big and little recyclable cans, while costco only has a box of individual plastic fruit cups.
This very much bugs me about costco. A lot of stuff, especially food, feels more like "six regular consumer units put in a big outer box" than "a large foodservice package" if that makes sense.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

stealie72 posted:

This very much bugs me about costco. A lot of stuff, especially food, feels more like "six regular consumer units put in a big outer box" than "a large foodservice package" if that makes sense.

This may be anecdotal, but I think they used to be more food service style, #10 cans and big bags but went to packs of regular size cans due to consumer preference. It's a lot easier for me to use an 8oz can of tuna than a 64oz can. I generally like it, plus I can still get flour, sugar and rice in huge containers.

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

Please pay in exact change.
I am big on reducing single waste plastics so that’s a little sad to hear about Costco

I mainly use Sam’s to get stuff like toilet paper, potatoes, soda, sour cream, etc. but still buy most meats at the local butcher or grocery store. I’ve never liked the look or feel of the meat at Sam’s and yeah the politics and employee care make me want to drive the more than double distance for sure.

I will investigate the “local” Costco.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Never tried Sam's Meat, but 'Sco Beef is the best. We had a discussion a while back and my preference is prime states and choice tenderloin. It's pricey for sure, but you'll get many dinners out of it. For chicken, the 6-pack of thighs. Obviously you need freezer space.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Costco is for the Bourgeoisie, Sam's club is for everyone else.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The prime steaks at least are identical at both places, just that Costco I think does ribeye's in packs of 3 and Sam's Club does ribeyes in packs of 2.

I bought a tomahawk steak at Sam's Club once, it lasted 3 days and by the end I was done eating steak for a while after. It was good but not great. It's more of a fancy gimmick cook then a really good steak, and the bone is good for dogs.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Nov 16, 2020

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I've had memberships at both and really they are the same with small weird differences. 3lb bags of salad at Costco, 2lb bags of the exact same ones at Sams. 6 avocado to a bag at costco, 5 at sams. Stuff like that.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Trip report on sweatshirts:

GH Bass & Co: $14.99. Comfortable, but sizing isn't great; XL is comfortable but too loose and roomy, while L fits snugly in the chest/shoulders but the sleeves are a tad short which I hate.

Jach's: $12.99. Extremely comfortable, slightly larger neck hole with a kind of scoop-front that shows more of my undershirt than I'd like, perfect sizing, and more substantial wrist/waist cuffs. Less expensive, more comfortable, and better fit to boot, so I'll be returning the GH Bass & Co examples.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

One thing I've always found is that Costco doesn't really sell junk. If you buy something at Costco it's usually whatever mid to high tier brand and it's of decent quality for a good price. Stuff like housewares or small appliance, I'm reasonably sure that it will be of at least decent quality and will generally be at or lower cost than at other big box stores. I don't have to think as much or look at reviews, I just know it will be a good pick.

I used to have a Sams Club membership and bought a trashcan that fell apart after a couple months. They wouldn't take it back and told me to contact the manufacturer who told me to ship a goddman trash can across the country for a replacement. Never renewed the membership.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

BONGHITZ posted:

Uh the place that treats their workers like humans with dignity is not the one owned by the Walton family of parasites, hth

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Costco is S tier

BJs is acceptable in Costco’s absence

Sam’s club is poo poo tier

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Honestly, Lidl has significantly better prices on nut milks and eggs. Eggs are like 50% cheaper at Lidl compared to Costco.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

FCKGW posted:

One thing I've always found is that Costco doesn't really sell junk. If you buy something at Costco it's usually whatever mid to high tier brand and it's of decent quality for a good price. Stuff like housewares or small appliance, I'm reasonably sure that it will be of at least decent quality and will generally be at or lower cost than at other big box stores. I don't have to think as much or look at reviews, I just know it will be a good pick.

This is why I go to Costco. Full stop. Costco tests their products for suitability before selling them. Even my worst buy from Costco, a $20 set of 3 digital meat thermometers, lasted for 6 months before they fully kicked the bucket. Costco seems to gives poo poo, especially compared to the Walton stores where it's not uncommon to buy a product and have it break literally upon first use.

I don't know how Costco's returns work for non-clothing and non-food items because I've literally never felt compelled to return one, because they all just seem to work.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Uh the place that treats their workers like humans with dignity is not the one owned by the Walton family of parasites, hth

I see you've never worked at a Costco

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

I see you've never worked at a Costco

Would you rather work at Walmart?

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

The Midniter posted:

Trip report on sweatshirts:

GH Bass & Co: $14.99. Comfortable, but sizing isn't great; XL is comfortable but too loose and roomy, while L fits snugly in the chest/shoulders but the sleeves are a tad short which I hate.

Jach's: $12.99. Extremely comfortable, slightly larger neck hole with a kind of scoop-front that shows more of my undershirt than I'd like, perfect sizing, and more substantial wrist/waist cuffs. Less expensive, more comfortable, and better fit to boot, so I'll be returning the GH Bass & Co examples.
Jachs makes sweaters now?!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Ya same. I can only remember one item that broke, a pencil sharpener that I decided was more that it wasn't made for 1st grade classroom duty. It was probably just defective really.

Oh and LED shop lights. Out of ten I've had two bad ones, one just recently died after working fine for a while.

Usually I'm surprised that things area better quality than I expected, like the giant tarps I bought. Thick and durable, and bigger than I realized.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Would you rather work at Walmart?

poo poo Shake or poo poo Sandwich

retail is the shittiest job anyone has to accept just as an attempt at survival, be fair

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

BONGHITZ posted:

:hai:

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Carrion Luggage posted:

poo poo Shake or poo poo Sandwich

retail is the shittiest job anyone has to accept just as an attempt at survival, be fair

Retail jobs do suck, but it's a false equivalency to say they suck equally. On one hand, you have a family who controls a mind-boggling amount of the wealth in this country and on the other is a company who is totally willing to tell their shareholders to go gently caress themselves. I'm not talking about whether or not it's fun to collect shopping carts from the lot.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

FCKGW posted:

This is fairly true, and they certainly do better than most retailers, but they definitely have their blind spots where they make some odd choices in what they carry. Generally I find that if the product type in one where you might want to do a little research prior to buying, Costco will often either not carry the best-value model or if they do it will be available elsewhere for a better price.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Nitrousoxide posted:

Honestly, Lidl has significantly better prices on nut milks and eggs.
I get my nut milks cheap from a local supplier. :grin:

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Retail jobs do suck, but it's a false equivalency to say they suck equally. On one hand, you have a family who controls a mind-boggling amount of the wealth in this country and on the other is a company who is totally willing to tell their shareholders to go gently caress themselves. I'm not talking about whether or not it's fun to collect shopping carts from the lot.

I worked at Target for a while and we watched videos about how awful unions are and how we should report employees if we hear them talking about it. I made a joke about how we can't talk about unions once to my lefty boss and it was like saying bomb in an airport, his eyes widened and he basically told me to never go there again.

I'm sure Costco would prefer not to deal with unions (and many locations are non-union), but there are a number of stores that have unionized and the company is not horrid about it.

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug
I went to my local Costco today at 10:30 am. loving place was packed with people panic buying. Saw two separate people arguing with the cashier about the limit on toilet paper and paper towels.

loving here we go again.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Better to go now before Thanksgiving than after

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Cyrano4747 posted:

So is half price jamon in January really a thing or a goon joke.

Also if it’s real January is hereby renamed Jamonuary.

It's real but it's I want to say the second week and only lasts until they run out, so you've got to have your eyes open because at $45 it's gone that day.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Cartoon Man posted:

Don’t forget the Costco curse. The minute you really start to love a product and buy it regularly is the minute it goes out of stock permanently.

That's the blessing, it's to encourage you to try lots of things and really embrace omnivorousness.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

BONGHITZ posted:

I'd argue that if you're doing warehouse groceries Costco is as cheap or cheaper than any competitors.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

Relevant Tangent posted:

It's real but it's I want to say the second week and only lasts until they run out, so you've got to have your eyes open because at $45 it's gone that day.

This is now the official Radio Jamon Network.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Relevant Tangent posted:

I'd argue that if you're doing warehouse groceries Costco is as cheap or cheaper than any competitors.

No one gets fired for buying Kirkland.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

ham's club not sam's club, gtfo

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Costco is paying out an extra $10 dividend on the 11th of December. I wish I had more than a couple of shares, because that's a really nice payout.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/11/16/costco-declares-10-special-cash-dividend/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

This stuff any good? $59 is a great price apparently.