Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

echinopsis posted:

old people should play satisfactory. it’ll dominate them and they’ll love every second. it’s amazing how it gently eases you into an extremely complex factory. the fact that my 9 year old has just unlocked tier 6 and 7 should tell you how obviously manageable it is given how complex it gets

Satisfactory is cool but imo Factorio is better and a little easier. Satisfactory spaghetti bases are both a feature and a bug but can be annoying and the grind at the end is insane, especially without blueprinting and construction bots to spew out layouts to expand quickly. If enemies in Factorio are too much they can be tuned down or off even, but I actually like the enemies because it gives it a tower-defense-lite aspect and keeping you pushing out your walls with an army of turrets fueled up by conveyor belt loops of ammo

I can start it up and then just lose like 10-hrs consecutively playing it.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

The Fool posted:

maybe snowrunner if he’s into trucks, it’s a pretty casual game but I have no idea how it plays on a keyboard

Snowrunner is great but i would suggest a controller, not that it cant be played by a M+K but controller is better. even just a cheapo Bitdo wireless one would be good

There's also European/American Truck SImulator for chilling out. If they love cars at all, maybe My Summer Car https://store.steampowered.com/app/516750/My_Summer_Car/?

Xaris fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Nov 16, 2020

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
for new (PC) gamers, I'd give them Portal. mostly slow paced, puzzles but immersive without really needing 20 years of video game conventions to play and short enough that if he hates it, you can try something else. superhot for similar reasons.

Xcom is a good starter to strategy games.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Xaris posted:

Satisfactory is cool but imo Factorio is better and a little easier. Satisfactory spaghetti bases are both a feature and a bug but can be annoying and the grind at the end is insane, especially without blueprinting and construction bots to spew out layouts to expand quickly. If enemies in Factorio are too much they can be tuned down or off even, but I actually like the enemies because it gives it a tower-defense-lite aspect and keeping you pushing out your walls with an army of turrets fueled up by conveyor belt loops of ammo

I can start it up and then just lose like 10-hrs consecutively playing it.

hmmm i don’t disagree with some points, I’d say tho that satis is a more fun game. it’s kinda got crafting. it’s got exploration, it has a real organic way of encouraging you to make a bigger base eater than forcing it. my kids still make a lot of stuff by hand in the game rather than automate it. it’s gorgeous at times. I like how the research tree wil let you discover things.. or you can find those things and start the research early. the technology isn’t a linear path necessarily (mostly i suppose) and lol you don’t have to deal with the two lane conveyors. love when you upgrade from iron to steel and then have tons of steel, it owns. love how storage is also a buffer and doesn’t require those hand crane things. and I really disliked the research in factorio

but, you’re right it does get unwieldy without putting in huge amounts of time. honestly I think the journey is worth the effort and it’s worthwhile to play it until it just gets too much. i’ve hit the limit, can tell the next stage is gonna take too much effort? the resource reduction means a single line of automation is just tooo slow.

my personal feelings anyway. 😁😁😁

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol just remembered the dumbest fuckin thing is games when they start they have an ad for like amd when i have intel/nvidia

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i think the core problem w/ satisfactory as compared to factorio is the design seems to be that you have medium factories at each resource site and then you manually (or via trucks), move the resources around. this makes for lots of annoying trekking back and forth. in factorio you have your starting factory and you really build out from there with most of your outposts being resource gathering only. This makes things alot easier to deal with cause you're basically plugging remote resources into your existing factory as opposed to having one factory that makes basic stuff, one factory that makes advanced thing y, and one factory that makes advanced thing z.

the distributed factories also leads to way way more complicated logistics chains where you have to get things going back and forth across multiple factories to finish complex supply chains. like you have screws going out of one base and steel coming out of another base, both going to a 3rd base which generates stuff from screws and steel which you then send back to base 1 because thats where you're building some other thing.

factorio big factory works better and also there are trains. i think if you added cargo and tanker trains to satisfactory it would make things alot better.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Shaggar posted:

i think the core problem w/ satisfactory as compared to factorio is the design seems to be that you have medium factories at each resource site and then you manually (or via trucks), move the resources around. this makes for lots of annoying trekking back and forth. in factorio you have your starting factory and you really build out from there with most of your outposts being resource gathering only. This makes things alot easier to deal with cause you're basically plugging remote resources into your existing factory as opposed to having one factory that makes basic stuff, one factory that makes advanced thing y, and one factory that makes advanced thing z.

the distributed factories also leads to way way more complicated logistics chains where you have to get things going back and forth across multiple factories to finish complex supply chains. like you have screws going out of one base and steel coming out of another base, both going to a 3rd base which generates stuff from screws and steel which you then send back to base 1 because thats where you're building some other thing.

factorio big factory works better and also there are trains. i think if you added cargo and tanker trains to satisfactory it would make things alot better.
I've generally just been doing insanely long conveyor belts in Satisfactory back to my home base and factor-ing poo poo there (unless its ingots then I'll do ingots at the nodes and move those on belts to the base),. and the location I selected was not too far from oil deposits, many auartz, coals, caterium, 3 coppers, 5 irons, etc but I also just dont have a whole lot of space and while building in 3D with 3 stories of factories going on so far is cool, it's also annoying because the lack of movement tools to get up and build and remix stuff really hurts it. i kinda feel like a good jetpack should just be part of the base game, it's not like you can't cheese getting up to stuff by just placing a ton of foundations and then jumping and deleting them.

but yeah after you get through the Intro Oil/Rubber tier it gets really unwieldly and doesnt give you the tools to really start expanding in a non-tedium way, and the grind gets really stupid to get to the next milestone. and even though it does give you some movement tools to get around (ive done some really long hyperpoop loops) they are still pretty slow, and at least my planet the terrain is not super favorable for vehicles.

there are also lots of little annoyances like power poles management is pointless in a game of infinite resources, just make it an AOE thing like factorio at most. the alien combat is really kind of a joke, just some dumb pigs you can beat with a stick. exploration is kinda neat in getting slugs, though i suppose once those WIP artifacts do something that'll help it.

i think I just love how utterly logical and refined factorio is and it constantly gives you tools to expand and rebuild/move stuff with Roboports and logistics/construction bots so you never feel like you're fighting UI/movement or tedium placing stuff because its just a simple CTRL+C or blueprint that then jizz out everything to be built, so you're constantly optimizing and expanding but it's such a pain to optimize in this that you just go 'eh gently caress it'll leave it alone and spaghetti it'

trains would definitely be nice. i think they didnt want to be too much "FACTORIO BUT IN 3D" and were hoping the vehicle system is that, but i just don't like the vehicle system and having to pack or pump fuel to the depots and stuff is just ehh. game could really use inserters too.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Nov 16, 2020

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they should make a version of concrete pads that are conductive so you can do away with power poles entirely within your normal factories. like make the cost concrete + copper cable and make it swappable with normal concrete pads so you dont have to destroy and then rebuild existing foundations.

that would feel like a real upgrade vs the goofy power pole upgrades that create more spaghetti. maybe replace that upgrade with transmission towers for sending power between bases

i do like everything being belt based instead of needing inserters, i just think there are some buildings (like tuck depots) that need the ability to be smarter with loading logic. like i should be able to have a single depot full of crap and then based on the truck that shows up it should stick the right resources into that truck. again, this would be easier to do with trains where you can lay out a track instead of having to do the path recording thing.

Shaggar fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Nov 16, 2020

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sICWk0hcWYw

lol in Steel Battalion if you didn't eject from your mecha in time (without honour) your save got erased, RIP to a real hero here.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

echinopsis posted:

lol just remembered the dumbest fuckin thing is games when they start they have an ad for like amd when i have intel/nvidia

"the way it's meant to be played"

*running on manufacturers three generation newer card completely breaks the game*

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

oh before i keep slogging through these AAA titles like Witcher 2/3 on my pc struggling to remember keybinds, can i just plug in a dualshock controller and go to town or do i have to do a bunch of janitor fuckery

my experience is that dualshocks involve janitoring, but that was with a knock off ps3 model, not sure about the current ones

the model 1708 xbone controller is very good and uses regular bluetooth or can be plugged in with a usb cable. it's officially supported by ms and on win 10 at least just works

360 controllers are still a viable option, but ms broke compatibility with knock off wireless receivers, and official ones were stupidly expensive the last time i looked. you can get the knock offs working, but it's a pain in the hoop

you'll see a lot of 'partial controller support' on steam, but that just means that not 100% of everything can be done with the controller. if it's a console port it'll be fine for gameplay, but you might need to use the mouse for graphics settings or such

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

wired xbone controller is by far the best pc controller experience

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I’m getting a reverb g2 be headset tomorrow and I’m really jazzed about it. an oculus without Facebook and an actual good display

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Fool posted:

wired xbone controller is by far the best pc controller experience

this, but wireless.

either way though there is no better controller than the xbone yeah. just stop inventing new designs. it's perfect already

e: okay i guess the only niggling imperfection is that it uses micro usb instead of usb-C. the new one has usb-C but the xbone cross-shaped d-pad is much better. i'll take the latter

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I still have an old wired 360 controller and it works gr8

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

jesus WEP posted:

I still have an old wired 360 controller and it works gr8

same

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the xbone controller is a slightly better version of the 360 controller so if ur 360 controller works theres no reason to get the xbone controller

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
dualshock is garbage straight from a dumpster

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

Shaggar posted:

the xbone controller is a slightly better version of the 360 controller so if ur 360 controller works theres no reason to get the xbone controller

the dpad is way better on the 1708, but if you're big into fighting games you're getting a stick anyway i guess

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
the xbox controller with its weird dual joystick asymmetry makes playing katamari games feel hosed up and weird, same with playing them on the switch.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Shaggar posted:

dualshock is garbage straight from a dumpster

I have and enjoy a PS4 and I agree with this post. the Xbone controller is just better

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

BLOBby Newmark posted:

the dpad is way better on the 1708, but if you're big into fighting games you're getting a stick anyway i guess

i have a 1537 and a 1697, apparently. both are fine and better than the 360

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Shaggar posted:

this is correct

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
i have a generic 360 wired controller with a cross dpad. it’s the best.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the switch pro controller is the best.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

eagerly awaiting ut2k4 im setting it up now. are there any updated shaders or whatever garbage y'all reccomend?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
mildly jealous of all you nerds that can play FPS games for more than an hour without getting massive headaches and the spins

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

either way though there is no better controller than the xbone yeah. just stop inventing new designs. it's perfect already

hosed up how this doesnt say "switch pro controller" but ok

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

switch pro controller doesn't have analog triggers

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
got one of those 8bitdo controllers that can emulate like all the other controller protocols while also having analog triggers

it's basically the best controller i've ever owned

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
does it like pwm the signal from the sticks for consoles that dont have analog or just do on/off

Weedle
May 31, 2006

psiox posted:

got one of those 8bitdo controllers that can emulate like all the other controller protocols while also having analog triggers

it's basically the best controller i've ever owned

yeah i have one of these and it's very good. basically a snes controller with dualshock sticks, triggers and grips. i use it on switch and pc

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

mediaphage posted:

mildly jealous of all you nerds that can play FPS games for more than an hour without getting massive headaches and the spins

try increasing the field of view. a number of years ago i noticed fps games were starting to make me sick and i thought i was getting old. but it turned out to be that console fps games are hugely zoomed in, with like a 60 degree field of view, because otherwise you couldn't see poo poo from across the room, and that default fov was getting ported directly to the pc version. boost it to about 100 degrees (on a 16:9 monitor) and my brain goes ahhhhhh and i can play for hours once again.

bobbilljim posted:

does it like pwm the signal from the sticks for consoles that dont have analog or just do on/off

just triggers on/off at 50% travel iirc.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
the new PlayStation controllers are awesome. the haptics simulate different materials so you feel the difference from dying to a giant hammer swing or dying from a fireball. the triggers have dynamically changeable resistance.

I expect these features will be used in no more than a handful of first party games.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

oh before i keep slogging through these AAA titles like Witcher 2/3 on my pc struggling to remember keybinds, can i just plug in a dualshock controller and go to town or do i have to do a bunch of janitor fuckery

You used to have to do some janitoring with DS4windows (which had a memory leak from ads that'd crash your system after awhile lol).

Steam supports DS4 controllers now, but some games will still use the Xbox button prompts.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Weedle posted:

yeah i have one of these and it's very good. basically a snes controller with dualshock sticks, triggers and grips. i use it on switch and pc

how well does it work over bluetooth? I like my DS4 but bluetooth has been... iffy on it. that may just be my cheapo bluetooth usb dongle

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Xaris posted:

how well does it work over bluetooth? I like my DS4 but bluetooth has been... iffy on it. that may just be my cheapo bluetooth usb dongle

those usb bluetooth dongles are crap. you need something with an actual antenna

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Sagebrush posted:

try increasing the field of view. a number of years ago i noticed fps games were starting to make me sick and i thought i was getting old. but it turned out to be that console fps games are hugely zoomed in, with like a 60 degree field of view, because otherwise you couldn't see poo poo from across the room, and that default fov was getting ported directly to the pc version. boost it to about 100 degrees (on a 16:9 monitor) and my brain goes ahhhhhh and i can play for hours once again.

just triggers on/off at 50% travel iirc.

cheers ill try this out. sometimes i fight through it and end up sick for hours. it’s one of the things i like so much about vr, in that it doesn’t make me sick as long as there are no performance issues

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Xaris posted:

I use a cheap Bluetooth dongle from China with my DS4 and it's fine as long as I don't have too much connected at the same time like headphones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
big fov, less lag, teleportation not motion, and a vibrating dildo or other vibrating thing next to your inner ears, those are the things that help motion sickness