Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I just got access to A Cloud Guru yesterday, so I haven't looked at the offerings much but I'm impressed so far. I bought a Udemy course for AZ-104, the basic Azure Administration cert, which was the highest rated course by far with 14k reviews, and it's fine. But ACG also has practice tests, more labs, and potentially a cloud sandbox, which is helpful because I can't practice everything in my Azure subscription at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fyuz
Dec 15, 2004

This is more of a post requesting advice, but I have been working in 2nd Line Support for an ERP application for the last 3 years. It's been my first 'IT' role as such, and this has been my first exposure to SQL, specifically Oracle. I enjoy working with it to the level I do at my current job, but it's quite basic and I would like to learn more and just generally become more accomplished at it.

The chances of a 3rd line position coming up, or moving teams at my current employer where I could develop further are extremely slim. I've survived a round of redundancies recently but it's impossible to know what might happen in the near future. I'm thinking it would be useful to aim for some sort of certification such as 1Z0-071, thinking at least it's something I can point to rather than expecting future employers to take my word for my skills. Plus there will be a lot I do not know and it would be useful to gauge my own ability/level if I was to try something like this.

I would be paying for it myself. Is it worth pursuing, or is backing myself to make a step up in a new position the better option?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Is the CEH/Pentest+ well regarded as far as certs go? Or is it more HR bait than anything? I took Comptias free Pen+ practice test and it seemed like I was being tested on boring historical background stuff more than anything. Should I just skip it and just start studying for OSCP/CISSP/CISM stuff even if I don't have the "time requirement" for CISSP.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Bonzo posted:

Any feedback on taking courses from Cloud Guru/Linux Academy? Seems a but more robust than waiting for a Udemy course to go on sale for $20. I'm looking to get base certs in AWS. Azure, GCP and then see where I want to go from there.
I didn't like it. When I tried it for the az-104 I found the instructor to be painfully dull and I had a hard time staying awake through everything.

I did the Alan Rodrigues Udemy course with a trial Azure account. I got a lot more from it in result and passed my first attempt.

Can't speak for the GCP and AWS material.

I'm looking at the offerings on WGU and am debating between the geneal IT degree and Cloud Computing. Cloud Computing seems the way to go but how much would it really help me get past that HR filter?

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

Defenestrategy posted:

Is the CEH/Pentest+ well regarded as far as certs go? Or is it more HR bait than anything? I took Comptias free Pen+ practice test and it seemed like I was being tested on boring historical background stuff more than anything. Should I just skip it and just start studying for OSCP/CISSP/CISM stuff even if I don't have the "time requirement" for CISSP.

I can't speak to the pentest+ as I have never seen anyone mention it, but as for the CEH if you mention to anyone who knows the certs that you have it they will say "that's nice" at best. Unless work was paying for it and forcing me to do it I wouldn't, and I probably wouldn't even bother putting it on a resume because I've actually heard of people seeing it as a negative.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

siggy2021 posted:

I probably wouldn't even bother putting it on a resume because I've actually heard of people seeing it as a negative.

Any particular reason? I can't imagine the CEH being any more dumb than any given comptia cert if it's just the same multiple choice/no actual practical test that most certs are?

edit: I thought the purpose of most IT certs was for HR, not for anyone actually involved in hiring anyone?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I'm looking at itpro.tv now and there seems to be more bang for your buck there.

https://www.itpro.tv/compare/a-cloud-guru-vs-itprotv/

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
I work in privacy/compliance consulting and recently passed the CIPP/E of the IAPP and got the ISACA CDPSE (lol) and will continue next year with the CIPT and then the CIPM.

If anybody wants some insights on that I'll gladly help.

Afterwards I want to move heavily towards information security since I have several touch points with the ISO 27k family. Probably the ISACA CISM would make most sense, right?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Bonzo posted:

Any feedback on taking courses from Cloud Guru/Linux Academy? Seems a but more robust than waiting for a Udemy course to go on sale for $20. I'm looking to get base certs in AWS. Azure, GCP and then see where I want to go from there.

ACG used to be pretty good but I’ve seen quite some complaints since they bought LA earlier this year. They removing LA content which was more up to date than the their own stuff. They ended up saying they were combining all courses but it’s a weak defense if they are removing the most valuable courses. Technically those specific courses are not removed, they’re just not findable through search anymore. You can access them if you bookmarked the direct URL. Their CEO came out this week with a typical corporate apology, saying they were sorry people are hurt about this. Which is just a fancy way of “It annoys me that you’re complaining about this”.

Altogether it seems like some shady business going on and since it’s been going on for longer than half a tear I wouldn’t expect things taking a turn into the right direction.

Their practice exams were never really good, although they weren’t super bad either. I’ve moved away from their platform for now. When/if quality ever gets upto their old standards I might take another look but for now I stopped recommending it to people.

Stephane Maarek has the best AWS courses at the moment.

I think Google had some courses for free on Coursera.

Not sure about Azure, I’ll be taking the free AZ-900 course on their website in December. For follow up courses I’d love to hear suggestions.

None of them offer a lab environment but what’s a few bucks for some labs. Ideally you’d be able to clown around on you bosses accounts but I get this is not always an option.

As for the udemy courses being on sale. They’re always on sale. It might be worth it to use a VPN when signing up. A coworker and I were comparing some courses and the screenshot he sent me had the same course listed for 10-15 dollars more than it showed me. Turns out my vpn client disconnected and I checked it over my home connection. When I connected through the company VPN it showed up at the higher price as well. Not sure if that’s a bug or a feature.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

Defenestrategy posted:

Any particular reason? I can't imagine the CEH being any more dumb than any given comptia cert if it's just the same multiple choice/no actual practical test that most certs are?

edit: I thought the purpose of most IT certs was for HR, not for anyone actually involved in hiring anyone?

It's pretty dumb and petty, but I've seen people label other people as just chasing certs. If you just have a bunch of largely useless certs, they assume you just memorized a bunch of useless information. I don't know how prevalent it being a negative actually is in a hiring situation, but I've just heard a few people mention it.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

siggy2021 posted:

It's pretty dumb and petty, but I've seen people label other people as just chasing certs. If you just have a bunch of largely useless certs, they assume you just memorized a bunch of useless information. I don't know how prevalent it being a negative actually is in a hiring situation, but I've just heard a few people mention it.

I'll readily admit to chasing certs, because how else am I gonna make it into figgie land as a *checks notes* IT professional, if I cant get past hr screens.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
If that is an actual issue then the solution is to just list your certifications that are relevant for the position, especially so if they listed on the job posting.
Nobody is going to get fired for failing to disclose a certification during the hiring process. Although I seriously doubt that the fraction of people who will pass on somebody for being a "cert chaser" outweighs all the HR departments that will eat that poo poo up. Just don't list "Security+ 301, Security+ 401, Security+ 501" on your resume, because that will be laughed at.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

LochNessMonster posted:

Not sure about Azure, I’ll be taking the free AZ-900 course on their website in December. For follow up courses I’d love to hear suggestions.

None of them offer a lab environment but what’s a few bucks for some labs. Ideally you’d be able to clown around on you bosses accounts but I get this is not always an option.

FWIW when you go through the MS AZ-900, some of the modules will spin up a sandbox environment for you to play in. Bookmark those specific modules and spin up a free env whenever you want.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

NPR Journalizard posted:

FWIW when you go through the MS AZ-900, some of the modules will spin up a sandbox environment for you to play in. Bookmark those specific modules and spin up a free env whenever you want.

That’s good to know, thanks for mentioning it!

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Bonzo posted:

Udemy is doing a veterans day Singles Day (lol) sale today. Going to recommend https://www.udemy.com/course/aws-certified-solutions-architect-associate-saa-c02/ once again for $11.
If you miss out today, they will 100% have another sale for the thanksgiving weekend.

...Apparently Singles Day is a real thing in China.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Passed my Sec+ yesterday! I was super bummed out after failing it last month and went way behind schedule for the adjacent WGU class but the last two weeks I pounded out some long days that got me an extra hundred exam points. Feels good.

I remember people talking about how Sec+ looks good for defense contractors or something and needing a clearance. Anyone have any insight on that? My degree will be in Cloud Computing but I'm out of work right now and like sec anyways s9

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

cage-free egghead posted:

Passed my Sec+ yesterday! I was super bummed out after failing it last month and went way behind schedule for the adjacent WGU class but the last two weeks I pounded out some long days that got me an extra hundred exam points. Feels good.

I remember people talking about how Sec+ looks good for defense contractors or something and needing a clearance. Anyone have any insight on that? My degree will be in Cloud Computing but I'm out of work right now and like sec anyways s9

Congrats

The reason it's good is because it fulfils DoD Directive 8570, which states

https://www.sans.org/dodd-8570/ posted:

"Any full or part-time military service member, contractor, or local nationals with privileged access to a DoD information system performing information assurance (security) functions -- regardless of job or occupational series.

Must be certified.....
in short, "No sec+ or equivalent cert, you're not allowed to work security related stuff on DoD networks"

You don't NEED a clearance, it just makes you a way more attractive prospect because for jobs requiring a clearance, management would, IMO rather hire a dude who could do the job and already has a clearance rather than have a dude who is x% better at the job and no clearance because getting a clearance is annoying, expensive, and there's no guarantee the guy is gonna get it at the end of the day. IMO, if you have a clearance great, if not don't sweat it, eventually if you're good enough you'll have a company sponsor you for one if they want you bad enough.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

cage-free egghead posted:

:nice:

My WGU term ends at the end of the month and I don't have any quick classes to get out of the way, so I'm planning to study/take the AZ-900 Azure Fundamentals cert to keep my study habits going.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Actuarial Fables posted:

:nice:

My WGU term ends at the end of the month and I don't have any quick classes to get out of the way, so I'm planning to study/take the AZ-900 Azure Fundamentals cert to keep my study habits going.

If you touch databases at all, the DP-900 is fairly simple as well.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
For anyone looking to snag AZ-900, this did wonders for me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKEFWyqJ5XA -- passed in just a week of cramming this video and a few free practice tests/brain dumps

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Microsoft also provides an entire course on AZ-900 for free, including actual labs and all that stuff.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/certifications/exams/az-900

I passed the test with just that and some practice tests I purchased elsewhere.

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

It took me 2 months longer than it should have, but I got my network+ cert. Security+ is already in the bag. Passed by the skin of my teeth so my test prep needs work.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Sneaky Wombat posted:

It took me 2 months longer than it should have, but I got my network+ cert. Security+ is already in the bag. Passed by the skin of my teeth so my test prep needs work.

My man :respek:

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Sneaky Wombat posted:

I got the Net+ exactly 3 years ago and my score was the passing score, it was surreal. Sec+ was so easy after that.

CCNA was way harder but I passed by a much larger margin, so meh.

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

CCNA is next on the docket, along with red hat on my other days.

I started looking at network admin/tech jobs and I see requests for F5 load balancing, and I have never touched that ever.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Sneaky Wombat posted:

CCNA is next on the docket, along with red hat on my other days.

I started looking at network admin/tech jobs and I see requests for F5 load balancing, and I have never touched that ever.

F5 has a certification program, but it's been years since I touched one. Honestly, anyone with a CCNA can do the basics on an F5 with a little training.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I would think AWS/Azure load balancers are probably more in demand at this point anyway. Like Jedi425 said though any decent network admin can make them work with a little bit of experience.

ClumsyThief
Sep 11, 2001

Passed my Sec+ today as part of the Cloud Computing major at WGU. That completes the CompTIA trifecta and I think all I have left with them is Project+ a little bit down the road, as WGU is dropping Cloud+ in February and replacing it with an entry level AWS cert.

I'm glad I have the certs now but CompTIA can gently caress off. 809 on the Security+. I felt like I was failing the entire time but same as A+ and Net+ I passed the first attempt. The school's uCertify content was so-so. Jason Dion's six packs of practice exams are the best. I'd think he wrote the questions for CompTIA they're so similar.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

ClumsyThief posted:

I'm glad I have the certs now but CompTIA can gently caress off. 809 on the Security+. I felt like I was failing the entire time but same as A+ and Net+ I passed the first attempt. The school's uCertify content was so-so. Jason Dion's six packs of practice exams are the best. I'd think he wrote the questions for CompTIA they're so similar.

To be fair, I don't think CompTIA is alone in leaving their test takers feeling "I can't imagine I passed it, I tried" as a mindset; I felt that way with both CCENT and CCNA exams, but very pleasantly surprised with scores solidly above the minimum required.

CompTIA is out for your $$$, nothing more really.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
I'm an intermediate programmer (Masters&PhD in Computer Science) who hasn't programmed for a while, has a bunch of free time, and wants to improve his skills in IT in general, programming, software engineering, but also DevOps related areas (Docker, Ansible, Kubernetes, ...) in order to keep up-to-date, be more relevant to the job market, be able to better contribute to open-source projects, improve useful abilities such as self-hosting and programming home domotics, and so on.

The curriculums or courses can be broad: (beyond-basic) programming courses, Machine Learning, Data Science, DevOps, and so on.
Anything you guys can recommend that is (free), good, fun, potentially even certified?

I've experience with Java, C, Python, some light DevOps skills, and have done some programming projects and tasks but am a bit rusty.

An example of what I mean are things like The Odin Project, but I was wondering what else is out there.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Are there any online resources that I can use to do labs and exercises to keep my configuration skills sharp? I know I can get packet tracer on Cisco's online academy but I don't have a means of getting the actual labs to use in it. I can brush up on the knowledge but I get more out of doing virtual labs.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I cant think of anything online. I used Boson NetSim in the past, might still be an option, albeit a paid one.

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

ClumsyThief posted:

I'm glad I have the certs now but CompTIA can gently caress off.

Amen, I had some CISSP buddies looking at what I was studying and saying the questions were bullshit. I thought about the trifecta but I am done with CompTIA.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I took my Security+ right after I got my CISSP a few months back because work paid for it and I figured why not. It wasnt the worst CompTIA test I've ever taken I guess...

Started on my CEH afterwards and the instructor the first day said "This test sucks, dont take it unless you have a very specific HR reason to do so". Which I didnt so I left that. In exploring my options it actually seems like Pentest+ CySA+ might actually be better? I dont need to have them but I enjoy the structured learning plans of certifications and at least getting exposed to all of the topics included in the tests.

Has anyone here taken Pentest+ or CySA+? Did you learn anything? Were they worth the effort, not necessarily in terms of employability but in what you learned and use concepts covered in your job?

ClumsyThief
Sep 11, 2001

Sneaky Wombat posted:

Amen, I had some CISSP buddies looking at what I was studying and saying the questions were bullshit. I thought about the trifecta but I am done with CompTIA.

You mean CompTIA has mislead me about the immediate threat posed by warchalking, and how to properly install laptops in an internet cafe?

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I took my Security+ right after I got my CISSP a few months back because work paid for it and I figured why not. It wasnt the worst CompTIA test I've ever taken I guess...

Started on my CEH afterwards and the instructor the first day said "This test sucks, dont take it unless you have a very specific HR reason to do so". Which I didnt so I left that. In exploring my options it actually seems like Pentest+ CySA+ might actually be better? I dont need to have them but I enjoy the structured learning plans of certifications and at least getting exposed to all of the topics included in the tests.

Has anyone here taken Pentest+ or CySA+? Did you learn anything? Were they worth the effort, not necessarily in terms of employability but in what you learned and use concepts covered in your job?

What exactly are you trying to do? I haven't taken the Pentest+ and I've also never heard a single soul talk about it. If you want to go down the route of pentesting/offensive security (which I only bring up because you mention the Pentest+) I firmly believe that the best thing you can do is learn how it's done by actually doing it, and the best certification you're going to get to demonstrate that is the OSCP. That being said, the OSCP is expensive, and not particularly easy.

If you're looking to go down the blue team/defensive side of things, I don't know enough about the certification landscape on that.

ClumsyThief posted:

You mean CompTIA has mislead me about the immediate threat posed by warchalking, and how to properly install laptops in an internet cafe?

My Security+ exam had a lot of questions about "Bluesnarfing" on it. I'm still not sure what BlueSnarfing is, but I'm convinced at sometime in the past someone made up a bunch of goofy poo poo and sold someone at CompTIA on the idea so they would have ridiculous words on their exam.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

siggy2021 posted:

What exactly are you trying to do? I haven't taken the Pentest+ and I've also never heard a single soul talk about it. If you want to go down the route of pentesting/offensive security (which I only bring up because you mention the Pentest+) I firmly believe that the best thing you can do is learn how it's done by actually doing it, and the best certification you're going to get to demonstrate that is the OSCP. That being said, the OSCP is expensive, and not particularly easy.

Just trying to learn more about pentesting/offensive security in general. The only reason I look to certs, is because as I mentioned, I like the structured learning plan they provide. Maybe I'll look into the OSCP down the line.

Im leaving an infrastructure/networking job for a blue team security position next week and am just trying to learn as much as I can as I make this pivot.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Passed the AZ-900 :toot:

Didn't prepare for it as thoroughly as I probably should have though. 700/1000 to pass, got 775. I should have taken some practice tests to figure out what I needed to review, but the Microsoft-provided "Learning Path" got me though it regardless.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

BaseballPCHiker posted:

The new CySA+ CS0-002 exam revision changes its focus a lot, so take that into account when you hear from others who have taken the 001 test. Both deal a lot more with vulnerability management, incident response processes, and knowledge of specific security tools than Security+, but 002 added a lot about the role of active defenses, security automation, and use of threat intelligence. If those are topics you want to learn more about it might be valuable.

PenTest+ I haven't taken though I've done some course development work for it. It's very much about the methods and tools for conducting a penetration test, so it's more technically focused than what I understand about CEH. If you're coming at it from a learning perspective, it sounds as though it gives more technical knowledge rather than conceptual knowledge compared to CEH. It's also definitely cheaper if that's a factor. Neither is really a practical test compared to OSCP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Just trying to learn more about pentesting/offensive security in general. The only reason I look to certs, is because as I mentioned, I like the structured learning plan they provide. Maybe I'll look into the OSCP down the line.

Im leaving an infrastructure/networking job for a blue team security position next week and am just trying to learn as much as I can as I make this pivot.

Even if you're not doing the OSCP now, I would recommend dipping your toes in some of the free/freemium resources available for OSCP prep, such as TJ_Null's OSCP prep box playlist on YT which you can follow along with on HackTheBox. There's also a gsheet of OSCP-like boxes here. Most if not all have walkthroughs available somewhere online if you get stuck.