Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
bidets are popular in places that are not america and this is america, dammit. we're defined by not being those places

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/rajat_suresh/status/1328366891166027776

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

i thought it was called barbapapa

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Penisface posted:

aren't there like 2 different vaccines in the pipeline now? i get it that they will be distributed to rich people only at first, but it's got to trickle down eventually, right?

There are literally dozens in the pipeline and the ones that have reported results are the Pfizer and Moderna ones. But the Astra Zeneca one is in phase three as well as the Johnson&Johnson one and there are several others in phase 1/2. By late next year we'll be awash in vaccines tbh.

That's not even mentioning the several chinese vaccines and the Russian one. Which might not be tested quite as rigorously for safety but could be just as effective nevertheless.

I'm actually very optimistic about the vaccine situation. There are a couple of big questions still unanswered but so far the reports are very positive, and even if the frontrunners don't pan out one or more of the other dozens of candidates will pan out.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i'm somewhat surprised that they have several so far along and seemingly effective already. even with a whole ton of resources going towards developing vaccines and building on existing work, that's amazing. now if only they could ramp up production more quickly than six months from now

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

spankmeister posted:

There are literally dozens in the pipeline and the ones that have reported results are the Pfizer and Moderna ones. But the Astra Zeneca one is in phase three as well as the Johnson&Johnson one and there are several others in phase 1/2. By late next year we'll be awash in vaccines tbh.

That's not even mentioning the several chinese vaccines and the Russian one. Which might not be tested quite as rigorously for safety but could be just as effective nevertheless.

I'm actually very optimistic about the vaccine situation. There are a couple of big questions still unanswered but so far the reports are very positive, and even if the frontrunners don't pan out one or more of the other dozens of candidates will pan out.

disclaimer: i’m extremely a fan of vaccinations and have personally received dozens, the only one available to me that i didn’t get was smallpox back when that was a thing for a couple of months.

now that pfizer has broken the dam every other company with one in the pipe is
clamoring to “me too” themselves into the spotlight for that sweet sweet shareholder value. i am not at all convinced that the safety review panels on these trials are going to do their jobs given the pressures on them from all sides to declare their drugs cool and good (it will be illuminating to see how many of the “independent” panel members get jobs and giant grants in the 2022-2027 timeframe). assuming a candidate vaccine is in fact effective and won’t give you cerebral palsy in five years, it has to be made in mass quantities, and nobody cuts corners to save a buck like the american industrial base. assuming we are producing vaccines that aren’t reprocessed toilet water, it then has to be transported and stored correctly and you know walgreens isn’t going to put up the sign that says “no vaccine today” when there are people clamoring for it, just peel that spoilage indicator off and let the poking commence.

basically what i’m saying is i’m considering medical tourism for a vaccine in late 2021/early 2022 since i have every confidence the united states will slaughter millions more of its own people in the name of making old white guys a little bit wealthier.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Slippery Tilde

TerminalRaptor posted:

Why not just poo poo in the shower and save a step

the wafflestomp is a slipping hazard

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

TerminalRaptor posted:

Why not just poo poo in the shower and save a step

actually you'd have to probably do a few steps to get it down there

TerminalRaptor posted:

That being said, I don't understand why its taken so long for these things to gain traction in the west. There's literally no downside. I wish I'd had one a decade ago.

because many americans think wiping their own rear end is gay, nevermind spraying it with water

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I love injecting active biological material whose efficacy and safety validation was politically and financially rushed

first to market rush of capitalism is very good for medical safety

*side effects may include full body cancer, heart failure, sudden death

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Methanar posted:

I love injecting active biological material whose efficacy and safety validation was politically and financially rushed

dude that's very overblown. it would have to be a hella terrible side effect to match even one week's worth of preventable deaths from delaying and taking a wait and see approach, probably.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Slippery Tilde
we were considering forming another babby but i think the vaccine they eventually force my wife to take may put that on hold for a bit

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Methanar posted:

not gonna lie i'd be fine with "this keeps the covid away" and "this kills you so you don't have to spend your last 17 years watching the world fall apart" being on a coin flip bet

im a doomer though

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

we were considering forming another babby but i think the vaccine they eventually force my wife to take may put that on hold for a bit

Why?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
ship it

our data science marketing team's neural network model has identified opportunities of cross selling the vaccine and later immunosuppressants for the end users which develop kidney failure

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Slippery Tilde

flipperbabies

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

i dont think you want to be taking an exciting new poorly tested vaccine whilst you are pregnant

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

exactly, because of the flipperbabies

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Slippery Tilde
it's also a bad time to be pregnant in general

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

dude that's very overblown. it would have to be a hella terrible side effect to match even one week's worth of preventable deaths from delaying and taking a wait and see approach, probably.

Midjack posted:

i have every confidence the united states will slaughter millions more of its own people in the name of making old white guys a little bit wealthier.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Slippery Tilde
also these vaccines are so untested that they don't even know how long they're effective for yet lol

if they're anything like the flu vaccine everyone will need to be taking them a few times a year to maintain immunity

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
https://thehill.com/policy/healthca...rus%20pandemic.

scrum update for today is we finished the cost analysis. we should temporarily subsidize insulin during the next few months until the government bailout in january to keep our revenue streams alive to optimize shareholder returns next quarter

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Methanar posted:

https://thehill.com/policy/healthca...rus%20pandemic.

scrum update for today is we finished the cost analysis. we should temporarily subsidize insulin during the next few months until the government bailout in january to keep our primary revenue streams alive to optimize long term growth

so the endgame for this is you only get life extending treatments if you're a promising future revenue stream?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

qirex posted:

so the endgame for this is you only get life extending treatments if you're a promising future revenue stream?

literally yes

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

qirex posted:

hi welcome to capitalism qirex

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

:tinfoil: thinking would tend towards pharma helping where they can to make rona an endemic thing, with a bunch of anti vaccers and rona truthers screwing things up, so they get a nice long term revenue stream instead of fixing it

https://abovethelaw.com/2018/05/goldman-sachs-asks-is-curing-patients-a-sustainable-business-model/

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

at this point you will still get treated even if you don't have a chronic condition that requires a monthly kilobuck payment

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

also these vaccines are so untested that they don't even know how long they're effective for yet lol

if they're anything like the flu vaccine everyone will need to be taking them a few times a year to maintain immunity

They're not at all like flu vaccines because the coronavirus is not at all like the flu. The flu is able to exchange entire chunks of it's RNA with other strains in the same host, so it's basically ever changing. Coronaviruses don't do that. This is how the flu manages to evade the immune system, and why you need to get a new shot every year. They keep tabs on the flu strains and give you a cocktail of the ones they predict to be the dominant strains for that season.

Now coronaviruses work differently. The ones that have been endemic to humans before SARS-CoV-2 came along, and are still around, cause common cold symptoms. They seem to cause a immune response that wanes after 6mo to a year so you can get reinfected next season.

Thing is, when you're reinfected with these common cold coronaviruses the disease is less and less severe.

I don't know what's going to happen wrt to the vaccines. Do they provide protection against infection, or just against disease? Will they provide lasting protection or will you need to re-up after a year? Will vaccinated persons still spread the disease? If the protection has waned, will the immune system memory make it so that disease won't be as severe (basically turning it into just another common cold virus).

We can make a few educated guesses but there are plenty of questions still to be answered that will only be known in time. However, one thing that we cannot do is directly compare this vaccine to the flu vaccine because they are quite different. :)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I fully expect that by 2022 having an active covid-19 vaccine pumping through your bloodstream will be a condition of gainful employment. Is that legal? Who knows, but it's about to fuckin be.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Jonny 290 posted:

I fully expect that by 2022 having an active covid-19 vaccine pumping through your bloodstream will be a condition of gainful employment. Is that legal? Who knows, but it's about to fuckin be.

Oh yeah 100%

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i mean so yeah i love hearing about eternal plague and how we're all doomed to long, drawn-out painful death but isn't there a whole thread for this poo poo?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

rotor posted:

i mean so yeah i love hearing about eternal plague and how we're all doomed to long, drawn-out painful death but isn't there a whole thread for this poo poo?

like... the coronavirus thread?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

3D Megadoodoo posted:

like... the coronavirus thread?

maybe??

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

rotor posted:

maybe??

which is the thread we're in?

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

we could rename the subtitle to happy fun time, where we discuss all the positive aspects of rona, such as

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
my understanding of the pfizer/moderna vax is that they're both rather remarkable from a medical science perspective

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

The Fool posted:

which is the thread we're in?

no??? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3941589

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

or wait is that the election quarantine thread?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i guess thats the election thread, sorry guys my fault

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ah yes, novel coronavirus, which it's only legal to discuss if you're american