Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
In my most recent OOTP game I made the custom award just the homerun crown, but I named it after that save game's homerun king. Which is why the award was the Aramis Ramirez Award for about 4 decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Mike Clevinger signed a 2 year contract with the Padres for 11.5MM

Mike Clevinger is also undergoing TJS tomorrow and will miss all of 2021

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/Padres/status/1328472990644719616

Well then.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
I think that's his second Tommy John, is the track record still terrible for guys that have had two? Eovaldi is the only one off the top of my head in recent years

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Was this not the year that Jeter was first eligible? I guess it's next year. This is probably the weakest ballot we've had in more than a decade.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

FlamingLiberal posted:

Was this not the year that Jeter was first eligible? I guess it's next year. This is probably the weakest ballot we've had in more than a decade.

Wasn't that last year or am I going insane?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Interesting choice for SD. He's got 4 years of service time right now, so they already had control of him through any potential TJS recovery. Seems like the team is expressing some confidence in Clevenger and offering him stability during his recovery.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

alpha_destroy posted:

Wasn't that last year or am I going insane?

Their induction ceremony would have been this past summer but was postponed a year because of the pandemic.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
DJLM is only asking for 5x100 and the Yankees haven't signed him yet? loving bullshit.

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

I don't know if anyone has a LIDOM subscription but a team just threw a combined no-hitter with Anthony Gose pitching relief.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
https://twitter.com/thekapman/status/1328745004538408961

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

So that's Theo to the Phillies then

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Oh wow he's really doing it. I thought he'd ride out the last year of the core.

Thanks for 2016 Theo.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Is Theo gonna go try his hand at soccer like Billy Beane?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
lol my day just got weird

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Theo itching to leave has to have been the worst-kept secret in Chicago for like a year.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/1328746056037916674

hey theo, come to the mets

e: dammit

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1328746836283314177

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Still laughing at Kaplan calling it an EXCLUSIVE. That guy is such a hack

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

lmao Morosi is always full of poo poo, so I expect Theo to sign within days someplace else.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Poque posted:

Still laughing at Kaplan calling it an EXCLUSIVE. That guy is such a hack

I explained him once to my roommate and his response was "Oh so he's Bob Nightengale but for Chicago sports, got it" and oh god it fits too well.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Boo

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1328746836283314177?s=21

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/Brandon_N_Wile/status/1328379183576330240

Welcome to Toronto (Buffalo), Yu.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

"I'd like at least one year off from being yelled at because my boss keeps slashing my budget to put the money into re-electing Trump, thanks."

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Poque posted:

lol my day just got weird

I heard you say "holy poo poo" in the other room and when I asked what it was, you said "I can't tell you." :mad:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Well poo poo, we suck again.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I hope you like watching aging veterans and ~prospects~

Just keep Baez, that's all I ask.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I am excited to watch a return to Classic Cubs Baseball

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Hoyer gonna tear it all down lol

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

R.D. Mangles posted:

I am excited to watch a return to Classic Cubs Baseball

When I think Classic Cubs, I'm teleported back to a Tuesday after-school afternoon WGN game with Mark Grace and Andrew Dawson and Ryne Sandberg throwing in on a losing effort.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Sydin posted:

Dang, was hoping the Cubs would bring him back. It's a stupid small sample but he pitched really well this season and added a ton of velo. Like he went from sitting 90-91 to touching 96. :eyepop:

Kinda bummed Zaidi wouldn't offer Smyly a 2 year deal if that's what it took. But maybe he wanted to pitch for a contender and try for a bigger contract next offseason

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I heard you say "holy poo poo" in the other room and when I asked what it was, you said "I can't tell you." :mad:

lmao

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I'll take this opportunity of Cubs chat to say: gently caress you ricketts family.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Theo doing a presser right now, apparently one of the reasons he claims he's stepping aside is because for the Cubs to pay the $10M he'd be owed next year, they'd had to have cut other FO staff. :lol::lol::lol:

Mustached Demon posted:

I'll take this opportunity of Cubs chat to say: gently caress you ricketts family.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Sydin posted:

Theo doing a presser right now, apparently one of the reasons he claims he's stepping aside is because for the Cubs to pay the $10M he'd be owed next year, they'd had to have cut other FO staff. :lol::lol::lol:

If that's true, gently caress the Ricketts into eternity.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The email was like "later today, I will be announcing..." and then it was announced like a minute later lol

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Framing Theo leaving as a cost savings is loving incredible.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Key highlights:
1. Theo turning down the final $10M on his contract is a legit cost saving for the org right now, which is sad as hell. Tom took the mic for a bit and tried to downplay the financial aspect but it's pretty clear money was a factor here.
2. Theo readily admitted that he's had to come to terms with the fact that he's simply not as motivated about maintaining a successful team as he is about building one up.
3. Supposedly Hoyer was the one who oversaw all the behind the scenes changes to the FO the past year, I have no idea if this is true or bluster to build up the new bossman.
4. It's entirely possible Hoyer may just nix the whole "GM + President of Ops" dual partnership thing and run the ship himself.

Also he took a fairly blatant dig at Trump with Ricketts sitting right next to him, which owns.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I mean if I’m Epstein I would be pissed that I have to leave as a cost-saving measure because my boss insists on shoveling money into the Trump grift

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Popete posted:

Just keep Baez, that's all I ask.

I want Baez and Rizzo to stay. Given that Hoyer has traded for Rizzo like 3 times, hopefully he still likes him that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

This is perfect timing for the Dodgers to welcome back Yu Darvish. Ricketts clearly handing down a decree to slash payroll so he can probably be had for cheap. LA fans have our title now so the baying morons who would boo Yu over 2017 should be chill now.

:getin: