Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

On a 55" screen it's fine, at 27" I wouldn't be so confident.

It seems to me the new consoles should be able to do a mean 1440p60, but I guess it's just down to a lack of 1440p TVs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

K8.0 posted:

LG 34GN850, but you're paying like three times as much for 35% more monitor. If you're into that kind of gross excess why not look at the 38GN950? But then you realize it costs more than an LG 48" CX OLED. But then you realize it's 48" so now you're remodeling your computer room.

When I search for the 34GN850 on Amazon, it seems to link to the 34GP83A-B. Are these the same?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Jeff Fatwood posted:

Well, because they couldn't do even 60 in all the titles. 4k120 TVs didn't even exist back then. Cheap 144hz monitors are abundant now and the PS5 could easily drive 1080/120, what the hell. It seems like such a dumb and weird oversight.

I mean yeah, obviously the PS4 couldn't do 120Hz, as you say. But I meant that the PS4 also couldn't output at 1440p at all, even though it could do 1080p and 4k. Reading back, that part wasn't clear in my post.

But yeah, not doing 1080p@120 is very strange, and something that we might see added in a firmware update in the not too distant future, much like they don't have VRR enabled yet.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

three posted:

When I search for the 34GN850 on Amazon, it seems to link to the 34GP83A-B. Are these the same?

They use the same panel and are mostly the same.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
Looking for a 1440p monitor somewhere around the $250 price range. I have a GTX 1660 Super if that matters. 27-inch, IPS, non-curved are all preferred but I'm flexible if the price is right.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Looking for a 1440p monitor somewhere around the $250 price range. I have a GTX 1660 Super if that matters. 27-inch, IPS, non-curved are all preferred but I'm flexible if the price is right.

If you don't need it RIGHT NOW and can afford to wait a week or two, the LG 27GL83A-B is the current thread favorite for a lot of good reasons. 27" 1440p@165Hz IPS FreeSync/GSync Compatible. The only thing it doesn't have is a stand that swivels (it tilts and has height and rotation adjustment).

It's $380 normally, but vey regularly you can grab it for $260-$280 from Amazon Warehouse. "Used - Acceptable" for the two I bought ended up meaning "effective or literally new in box, but the box has scratches / dents in it." A+ would buy "used" for 1/3 off again.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Is there some kind of insane item sniping needed? I haven't seen anything below $340 used amazon warehouse and I look periodically for weeks

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
I didn't need to, no. I got mine in late Oct and when I bought them there were 6 others available, and stayed available for a day or two. :shrug:

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Biowarfare posted:

Is there some kind of insane item sniping needed? I haven't seen anything below $340 used amazon warehouse and I look periodically for weeks

If you find one for cheap give a shout-out and I’ll do the same I’d like to grab that monitor

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Biowarfare posted:

Last time I randomly looked there were 2 or 3 at I think $285? Just keep checking.

I_Socom
Jul 18, 2007

A great ride that requires finesse and effort to get the best out of it.

On the topic of the LG 27GLxxx series - there are some decent discounts in the UK atm. The 27GL83-A is £430 at Amazon, but Currys are selling the very similar 27GL850-B at £339. I'm seriously tempted to pick one up as a second (matching) display!

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

lordfrikk posted:

If you're gonna use the monitor for other things then I'd say it's worth it otherwise I would say no. Everything is so crisp on 4K (especially at 27" or 28") that having blurry games is just so much more noticeable. For me, anyway :shrug:

I was worried about that, problem is I can't really tell how bad it would be until the monitor is in front of me.

One thing I've seen is that certain 1440p monitors will accept a 4k signal and then downscale it internally, which seems like a perfect solution. 1440p is a far more achievable goal for a GPU upgrade down the line and I would be able to play PS5 games in 1440p with supersampling, which probably looks loving insane.

Any glaring downsides with this idea?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

FallenGod posted:

I was worried about that, problem is I can't really tell how bad it would be until the monitor is in front of me.

One thing I've seen is that certain 1440p monitors will accept a 4k signal and then downscale it internally, which seems like a perfect solution. 1440p is a far more achievable goal for a GPU upgrade down the line and I would be able to play PS5 games in 1440p with supersampling, which probably looks loving insane.

Any glaring downsides with this idea?

I think it makes sense, from the little I have read about it. I've read that there is a chance Sony will add 1440p as a resolution to the PS5 in a firmware update, too, although I have no idea about the odds of that actually happening. Consoles being geared toward TVs means it is easier for them to ignore common monitor resolutions, although I guess the new Xbox will output 1440p from the getgo. If a monitor has downscaling from 4k to 1440p that looks good it seems like a good compromise.

To be clear, though, I'm not familiar with consoles in general. I think the last time I played a console game at all was in like 2010 at the house of a family member.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

I'll keep researching it, the hardest part is manufacturers seem to actively avoid advertising the feature / the resolution as supported, to the point where it gets mentioned as "virtual 4k" in a one-off press copy from Gigabyte but isn't listed anywhere on the monitor's product page itself. One archived Asus monitor manual lists the resolution as supported, but it is then scrubbed from a newer version of the same manual on their own site. Some redditors think the feature is intrinsic to HDMI 2.0, some claim only certain monitors support it. :gonk:

This is way more complicated than it needs to be, thanks Sony.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
I doubt it's manufacturers hiding it, rather it's just a weird thing that people only recently started to care about.

Obviously there is now a demand for whatever weird scaling and other bullshit that xbox and playstation require to do high refresh rate/vrr, so I'm sure OEMs will start advertising it more. It probably won't get better for ~a year until new product lifecycles get kicked off. Also by then you may see more hdmi 2.1 products.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

monitors have never been great at upscaling/downscaling so you'd prefer the device (console, PC, etc.) to do it

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl

Biowarfare posted:

I think you just have to get lucky, since Warehouse stock updates constantly. Earlier tonight I picked up a 27GL83-A "acceptable" listing for ~$270 after refreshing periodically for the past couple of days, so they're definitely still being posted.

I'll probably be looking for another to go with it too, so I'm not done with the refreshing yet.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah IDK wtf, I haven't seen a used one that was cheaper than the new (or by a legitimate seller, tbh) all day:

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl
Ah, you don't want to look in the normal used listings or listings posted by other sellers. Amazon Warehouse is stock sold directly by Amazon that, for whatever reason, they cannot sell as new. Most Amazon Warehouse stock is probably products that were returned after very light or essentially no use.

Do a search for the 27GL83-A on the Amazon Warehouse section of the site and you should see listings pop in and out throughout the day (though in my experience most will be for more expensive "like new" listings).

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks! This explains a lot. It's weird because I explicitly remember seeing "sold by: amazon warehouse" under the normal used sections

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
at least until recently where amazon has been routinely stocking them, in canada the warehouse deals a-bs were actually considerably more expensive than new ones, despite being used and listed with various cosmetic damages

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm looking for something IPS with great contrast / colors in the 27"+ range, I don't really care about refresh rate or gaming performance.
Is there any great alternative to the LG 27MD5KL-B? I see them refurbished in the $1175 range.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

BlackMK4 posted:

I'm looking for something IPS with great contrast / colors in the 27"+ range, I don't really care about refresh rate or gaming performance.
Is there any great alternative to the LG 27MD5KL-B? I see them refurbished in the $1175 range.

https://www.newegg.com/black-aoc-90v-series-u2790vq-27/p/N82E16824160380?Description=Monitor&cm_re=Monitor-_-24-160-380-_-Product

this?

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824025982?Description=Monitor&cm_re=Monitor-_-24-025-982-_-Product

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Biowarfare posted:

Thanks! This explains a lot. It's weird because I explicitly remember seeing "sold by: amazon warehouse" under the normal used sections

They'll pop up there, too. Looking at the Warehouse portion of the site itself might show them earlier or something, I don't know. I got mine off the normal product page Used section, like you had there.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Any decent TV with dolby vision and a 1440p 120hz w HDRmode?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Don't buy monitors from newegg. Only buy monitors from places with good return policies.

BlackMK4 posted:

I mean if that relatively minor upgrade is worth paying 3x what you'd pay for a 4k monitor, go for it I guess.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
so I googled around and am reading that with linux the proprietary nvidia driver won't do 240 hz and the open driver doesn't either. anybody know anything about this or if they're working on a fix?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Food Boner posted:

so I googled around and am reading that with linux the proprietary nvidia driver won't do 240 hz and the open driver doesn't either. anybody know anything about this or if they're working on a fix?

I'm unaware of that and a quick search doesn't turn up much. I'm running the proprietary Nvidia driver in Linux and getting 144hz, so at least that refresh seems fine.

Edit: A bit more search just finds results of people not realizing their GPUs couldn't push that refresh rate or were using a cable connection that didn't support it. I'm really not seeing anything specifically about Nvidia drivers not supporting 240hz in Linux.

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 18, 2020

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

K8.0 posted:

I mean if that relatively minor upgrade is worth paying 3x what you'd pay for a 4k monitor, go for it I guess.

What is the comparable 27" 4k display?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

It depends exactly what feature set you want, but for example the LG 27UK850 is generally a very well-regarded 4k monitor, and (like most of the mac-focused / USB-C offerings) is definitely on the more expensive end. It's not capable of quite the blinding maximum brightness and they don't claim quite as much contrast, but unless this is a primary money maker it's hard to justify the price difference.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Eh, $1200-1400 isn't that much for something that I use 8-10hr a day and has a lifespan somewhere in the 3 year area, especially in the context of other things money gets spent on. I appreciate a nice panel, if there is something similar in the 27-34" area I'd also be interested in that.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm unaware of that and a quick search doesn't turn up much. I'm running the proprietary Nvidia driver in Linux and getting 144hz, so at least that refresh seems fine.

Edit: A bit more search just finds results of people not realizing their GPUs couldn't push that refresh rate or were using a cable connection that didn't support it. I'm really not seeing anything specifically about Nvidia drivers not supporting 240hz in Linux.

this post is what got me looking into https://bit.ly/2IMraKP

e: they can select 1440p@240hz in windows but in ubuntu 20.04 they can't get it working

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Looking for recs again. Built a new PC in May and splurged on dual LG 27GL83A-Bs. Wife has been working from home a ton like everyone, so she started using my old 1080 monitor as a second monitor for her Mac. Of course compared to her Mac's display, the old 1080 monitor looks like rear end. She's now dropped hints (ie - "THIS IS WHAT I WANT") for Xmas that she'd like a better secondary monitor, and what the Hell - why not two?

So. She does web design work. Lots of photoshop. Lots of illustrator. Some times she designs fliers and things like that that end up getting printed, so color quality matters to an extent. She will never play a single game at all. I'd like to get her something with a high pixel density, but monitors matching the Mac's density are just absurd.

I'd go with a couple more 27GL83A-Bs, but I assume a part of their price is the low response time / 144hz refresh rate? Is there a 27" 4K monitor out there with maybe a slower response time or lower refresh rate in the same ball park money wise?

Ok - about to post when I bothered to go back and read the last couple pages...

This seems to be the same question, though I'm not willing to buy a 5K monitor.

BlackMK4 posted:

Not a fan of NewEgg's return policy, but Amazon has the LG 27UL550-W at $380 or so.
https://www.amazon.com/LG-27UL550-W-Monitor-Freesync-Technology/dp/B07PX8JMJV

I think this fits the bill for her pretty well. 4k, IPS display. Slower response time and refreshrate, but for her kind of work, I assume 60hz isn't going to be an issue. Anyone with more knowledge than me able to weigh in on this? Any other recs? Would like to figure out what I'm looking for in the coming weeks in order to jump on a deal if one pops up.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Food Boner posted:

this post is what got me looking into https://bit.ly/2IMraKP

e: they can select 1440p@240hz in windows but in ubuntu 20.04 they can't get it working

That's a Samsung G9 which appears to be a weird 32:9 aspect ratio monitor. They are trying to run 5120x1440 at 240hz, which may have Windows support and not yet Linux support at higher refresh rates. The person with the G7 in the comments doesn't provide enough information to make it clear if they are just running into the whole card/cable not handling the display output they are trying to get.

Edit: What is your concern about this, anyway? Do you want a 240hz monitor running under Linux, and have a need for that high a refresh rate? Do you have a 240hz monitor running under Windows and are thinking of installing Linux? What programs will you be running that need a refresh rate that high? What is the problem you are seeing here?

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 18, 2020

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Tony Phillips posted:

Looking for recs again. Built a new PC in May and splurged on dual LG 27GL83A-Bs. Wife has been working from home a ton like everyone, so she started using my old 1080 monitor as a second monitor for her Mac. Of course compared to her Mac's display, the old 1080 monitor looks like rear end. She's now dropped hints (ie - "THIS IS WHAT I WANT") for Xmas that she'd like a better secondary monitor, and what the Hell - why not two?

So. She does web design work. Lots of photoshop. Lots of illustrator. Some times she designs fliers and things like that that end up getting printed, so color quality matters to an extent. She will never play a single game at all. I'd like to get her something with a high pixel density, but monitors matching the Mac's density are just absurd.

I'd go with a couple more 27GL83A-Bs, but I assume a part of their price is the low response time / 144hz refresh rate? Is there a 27" 4K monitor out there with maybe a slower response time or lower refresh rate in the same ball park money wise?

Ok - about to post when I bothered to go back and read the last couple pages...

This seems to be the same question, though I'm not willing to buy a 5K monitor.

Not a fan of NewEgg's return policy, but Amazon has the LG 27UL550-W at $380 or so.
https://www.amazon.com/LG-27UL550-W-Monitor-Freesync-Technology/dp/B07PX8JMJV

I think this fits the bill for her pretty well. 4k, IPS display. Slower response time and refreshrate, but for her kind of work, I assume 60hz isn't going to be an issue. Anyone with more knowledge than me able to weigh in on this? Any other recs? Would like to figure out what I'm looking for in the coming weeks in order to jump on a deal if one pops up.

Yeah, for a designer on Mac with no gaming requirements you definitely want 4K IPS with good color reproduction. 5K is unreasonably expensive as you say. Macs don't really support high refresh rate all that well anyway. If you can't find the 27UL550 at a reasonable price there are cheaper alternatives, both from LG and from other brands.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

That's a Samsung G9 which appears to be a weird 32:9 aspect ratio monitor. They are trying to run 5120x1440 at 240hz, which may have Windows support and not yet Linux support at higher refresh rates. The person with the G7 in the comments doesn't provide enough information to make it clear if they are just running into the whole card/cable not handling the display output they are trying to get.

Edit: What is your concern about this, anyway? Do you want a 240hz monitor running under Linux, and have a need for that high a refresh rate? Do you have a 240hz monitor running under Windows and are thinking of installing Linux? What programs will you be running that need a refresh rate that high? What is the problem you are seeing here?

I work in linux and do some gaming on a separate windows install and was thinking about picking up this monitor. I'm sure I could live with 120 hz or whatever in ubuntu.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDB9sONfJ5Q

Check out that ultra setting on backlight strobing (19 minutes) :eyepop:

The downsides don't make it quite worthwhile yet but in a few years...

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

K8.0 posted:

That's not an ultrawide, 16:9 is the standard widescreen AR. That said, ultrawide is the single most budget-unfriendly thing you can ask for on a monitor.
Hah, this is from forever ago but thanks. I've been using my old HP screen (which is apparently a TN screen? :stonklol:) for work and I just couldn't find it in me to spend on a new monitor.

Buuuuuuut.... work from home is extended indefinitely and likely through to next summer, so there's funds available for home office stuff that we'll use.

So I'm thinking either the 27GL83A, AOC CQ34G2E, or the Scepter C355W.

Doing photoshop, video editing, light website maintenance poo poo, but definitely don't want ghosting to be too noticeable.

Is it just "Go with the IPS over VA"?

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

FilthyImp posted:

don't want ghosting to be too noticeable.

Is it just "Go with the IPS over VA"?

Pretty much, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is there a quick way to check if a cable is HDMI 2.0 (or 2.1)? My monitor's on the way, and I'm not sure if my cable's right. I don't have anything to test it with atm.

Should work, but I don't know if it's 1440p 144Hz capable.

Says "High Speed HDMI" and some codes, the one's I've googled haven't helped.