Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

So my plan is to build my 2 kids "Gaming PC's" for Christmas this year. (Gaming = RGB lights basically). They're only 8 and 10 and only play light games like Roblox and Minecraft.

My plan is to start them off with something economical, but still decent. Right now they're using 5 to 6 year old Dell business class laptops with built in graphics and they meet their needs adequately, though my son complains it's "laggy" on Roblox Arsenal and other kiddo FPS games.

Cost is a factor, but I will gladly spend a little extra for quality. I'm looking for the best VALUE in parts, not necessarily the cheapest. I'm an IT Admin by trade, but the last PC I built was around 2002. Everything since then has been business class hand me downs we retired from work.

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Virtual School (google meets) for 10/8 year old kids and light light kid gaming (Roblox, Minecraft)
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so. I'd like to go no more than 600 dollars max for just hardware. I have accessories and Windows.
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? What’s your typical project size and complexity? If you use multiple pieces of software, what’s your workflow? n/a
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? Kids have 24" 1080P monitors with VGA and HDMI inputs. 99 dollar Costco Acer monitors.

Please note I'm building 2 computers total, so the less expensive the better, but I am willing to pay extra for better quality parts like the WD SSD, and EVGA power supply.

I know absolutely nothing about the current state of computer hardware. The kids love RGB lights and stuff though, things that make computers "gaming" so I'll pay extra for fancy RGB fans, light strips, etc. It would be cool if they could customize the lights... I think thats ARGB. No idea how it all ties together though.

Here's a baseline build I put together. I really wanted to target a 3400G processor, but they're OOS everywhere right now. I also want the ability to possibly add a dedicated GPU in a year or two, so sizing the case, mobo, and PSU for a potential midrange GPU in the future is worth considering.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($99.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($53.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 500 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($45.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Cooler Master MasterFan MF Halo 47.2 CFM 120 mm Fan ($16.48 @ Newegg)
Total: $409.38
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-16 14:38 EST-0500

I appreciate any and all comments, feedback, links to better resources, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Catalina posted:

Lol, gently caress. My Ryzen 5 3600X gets here Wednesday and it requires a signature, while today I just found out that I need to be quaranting because a member of my household was in contact with a person with a confirmed Coronavirus case, and needs to be tested.

Are you in America where none of that matters?

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Cyks posted:

Doesn't that mean you will be home to sign for it?

Well, yes, but quarantining means not having unnecessary contact with anyone outside your household. Even if I have a mask on, that's not foolproof, I don't want to expose someone else to the risk of COVID, as well as all of the people they could potentially infect. I'm going to call FedEx and see what my options are, either if they can hold it til I'm cleared, or leave it at the door since I'm home.

ETA:

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Are you in America where none of that matters?

Yes, but I'm not an rear end in a top hat.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Catalina posted:

Lol, gently caress. My Ryzen 5 3600X gets here Wednesday and it requires a signature, while today I just found out that I need to be quaranting because a member of my household was in contact with a person with a confirmed Coronavirus case, and needs to be tested.

Just answer the door with a mask and a bottle of hand sanitizer to clean your hands before, you're not going to transfer covid during a 5 second interaction unless you're maskless coughing in the guy's face. I understand not wanting to be a risk vector but if you take those precautions you're going to be far down the list if potential risks the delivery person faces every day.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 16, 2020

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

skipdogg posted:

So my plan is to build my 2 kids "Gaming PC's" for Christmas this year. (Gaming = RGB lights basically). They're only 8 and 10 and only play light games like Roblox and Minecraft.

A lot of the most popular beautiful RGB looking things right now are made by corsair.

Basically if you see fans that react and do different patterns pretty much guarantee that those are LL120s or LL140

Corsair LL Series LL120 RGB 120mm Dual Light Loop RGB LED PWM Fan 3 Fan Pack with Lighting Node Pro https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075VGN4M1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabt1_BXTSFbWD5ARMA

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...p/CC-9011188-WW

This is Corsairs cheapest case that comes with three of those very expensive fans and it comes with the box that you need to actually control the RGB because they have two cables coming from each fan. One for power and one just for RGB.

Corsair’s makes other cases that are cheaper that do you have addressable fans but they’re the cheaper model that has less LEDs.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Cases/Mid-Tower-ATX-Cases/iCUE-4000X-RGB-Tempered-Glass-Mid-Tower-ATX-Case/p/CC-9011204-WW

Both cases will come with a node core that will let you connect to six corsair RGB fans / light strips

Corsair’s products like their fans and their RGB strips use proprietary connectors and are more addressable.

The corsair glowing “vengeance” rgb ram you see everywhere doesn’t have any connectors it draws its power from the mobo.

If you don’t wanna be stuck with corsair than most motherboards have an RGB connector port or two that will allow you to plug-in basic RGB strips or some types of RGB fans.

Corsair’s has spent the last few years trying to be the king when it comes to a RGB and RGB softwear and it shows. But they’re absolutely charging $$$$ for it.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 16, 2020

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Catalina posted:

Well, yes, but quarantining means not having unnecessary contact with anyone outside your household. Even if I have a mask on, that's not foolproof, I don't want to expose someone else to the risk of COVID, as well as all of the people they could potentially infect. I'm going to call FedEx and see what my options are, either if they can hold it til I'm cleared, or leave it at the door since I'm home.

ETA:

Yes, but I'm not an rear end in a top hat.

Some delivery companies have been taking a photo of the item in your open doorway in lieu of signatures.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

skipdogg posted:

My plan is to start them off with something economical, but still decent. Right now they're using 5 to 6 year old Dell business class laptops with built in graphics and they meet their needs adequately, though my son complains it's "laggy" on Roblox Arsenal and other kiddo FPS games.

Cost is a factor, but I will gladly spend a little extra for quality. I'm looking for the best VALUE in parts, not necessarily the cheapest. I'm an IT Admin by trade, but the last PC I built was around 2002. Everything since then has been business class hand me downs we retired from work.

What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Virtual School (google meets) for 10/8 year old kids and light light kid gaming (Roblox, Minecraft)
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so. I'd like to go no more than 600 dollars max for just hardware. I have accessories and Windows.
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? What’s your typical project size and complexity? If you use multiple pieces of software, what’s your workflow? n/a
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? Kids have 24" 1080P monitors with VGA and HDMI inputs. 99 dollar Costco Acer monitors.

Please note I'm building 2 computers total, so the less expensive the better, but I am willing to pay extra for better quality parts like the WD SSD, and EVGA power supply.

I know absolutely nothing about the current state of computer hardware. The kids love RGB lights and stuff though, things that make computers "gaming" so I'll pay extra for fancy RGB fans, light strips, etc. It would be cool if they could customize the lights... I think thats ARGB. No idea how it all ties together though.

Here's a baseline build I put together. I really wanted to target a 3400G processor, but they're OOS everywhere right now. I also want the ability to possibly add a dedicated GPU in a year or two, so sizing the case, mobo, and PSU for a potential midrange GPU in the future is worth considering.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($99.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($53.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 500 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($45.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $409.38
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-16 14:38 EST-0500

I appreciate any and all comments, feedback, links to better resources, etc.

This is a pretty sweet setup for those games: the Intel UHD 620 can crush Minecraft and from what I understand, Ryzen integrated graphics are waaaaay better. You could even throw in a 1650 or 1660 super in there down the line without replacing the power supply and have a pretty capable 1080p gaming rig (for a kid).

change my name fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 16, 2020

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

acksplode posted:

Hello PC building megathread, I have a PC building megaproblem and I need PC building megahelp. tl;dr: I recently assembled a new 3700x/3080 gaming PC that I'm quite happy with, except that certain games seem to be causing it to hard reboot. I suddenly see a black screen, then Windows booting up like normal. Event viewer shows no errors prior to the reboot in the Windows system log. And it's only specific games where I'm seeing this: I can play some newer and demanding games for hours with no issue, then switch to a game that was released a few years ago and I'll see a reboot in under an hour, sometimes as quickly as a couple minutes. My first thought was this looks like a hardware problem with my GPU or power supply, but I've been unable to isolate such a problem. I'm at my wits end, desperately updating drivers in hopes of a fix, so I'd appreciate any suggestions for further troubleshooting steps. Below I have more details on the build, which games are causing reboots, and the troubleshooting I've done so far.

First, here's my build:

These are games that I've played for hours at a time without a problem:

Metro Exodus
Death Stranding
Hades
Crusader Kings 3

And these are games that reliably cause reboots within an hour, sometimes as quickly as a couple minutes:

MGSV
Alien Isolation
Sekiro

This is my troubleshooting so far:

After a reboot I'll check the Windows system log in the Event Viewer, and each time it's silent for minutes before the reboot, only showing errors after the reboot that complain about the unexpected shutdown. Sounds like a power supply issue, right? So I plugged my PC into a 1000 watt UPS that displays wattage output. I can watch my PC draw ~470 watts for hours as I play Metro with vsync off and FPS uncapped, then I can load up Sekiro, which never crosses 400 watts, and I get reboots. Maybe temperature is getting too high? But I used the MSI Afterburner overlay to keep an eye on temps while playing, and the highest I ever see are 55C for the CPU and 65C for the GPU. Maybe it's bad memory? I ran memtest86 for several hours, long enough for about two and a half passes, with no errors. I've made sure that every last driver I can think of is up to date, from GPU to chipset to bluetooth, to no effect. My last guess at this point is that I have a faulty 3080 and need to RMA it, but after the pain I went through to get the thing, I'm reluctant to lose it for a couple weeks on a guess. Anyone have any ideas? :ohdear:

In case you still have issues with this, I had similar issues a while back and it ended up being my Vega 56 card. Swapped in an old GPU that I still had left over and the issues went away, so I got it refunded and bought a different card. No issues since.
This is what my reliability monitor looked like at the time :ohdear:

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Party Boat posted:

Some delivery companies have been taking a photo of the item in your open doorway in lieu of signatures.

Thank you!

My sister works in healthcare, and I forget how some of the precautions we take seem pretty :tinfoil: to the general public.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Bofast posted:

In case you still have issues with this, I had similar issues a while back and it ended up being my Vega 56 card. Swapped in an old GPU that I still had left over and the issues went away, so I got it refunded and bought a different card. No issues since.
This is what my reliability monitor looked like at the time :ohdear:

Thanks, yeah I'm still getting the random reboots :sweatdrop: I'm certain it's not the power supply or memory at this point, so I think I'm gonna try to RMA my 3080 while I have a shiny new PS5 to distract me.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

is there a huge difference between the amd 5600 and 5800 other than the price? id only really be using it for gaming and movie watching and general goon poo poo. im upgrading from the ye olde i5-2500k so anything is an upgrade but everything looks greek to me now

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Ramadu posted:

is there a huge difference between the amd 5600 and 5800 other than the price? id only really be using it for gaming and movie watching and general goon poo poo. im upgrading from the ye olde i5-2500k so anything is an upgrade but everything looks greek to me now

It depends on if you're doing anything that needs more than 6 cores/12 threads.

If you don't know the answer to that then the answer is "probably not" and get the 5600X.

Os Furoris
Aug 19, 2002

What are you using the system for? Workstation work, gaming, light photo editing.
What's your budget? $1500 computer only I'm way under that, what would you upgrade?
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? Trying to max out MSFS @ 1080p. It should be able to crush strategy games.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 chromax.black 33.8 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($179.00 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($229.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Lenovo)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR200 Mini ITX Desktop Case ($79.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GM 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($135.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $779.86
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-16 16:03 EST-0500

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

sean10mm posted:

It depends on if you're doing anything that needs more than 6 cores/12 threads.

If you don't know the answer to that then the answer is "probably not" and get the 5600X.

cool thanks, i have no idea what that means so I'll do that. The next question I have is is there a good mobo that has built in wireless? ive been using usb adapters and they aren't great and it was suggested that a mobo with it is better? Is this wrong? I think I would need a b550 right?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Os Furoris posted:

What's your budget? $1500 computer only I'm way under that, what would you upgrade?

The cost of the 3070 and the 3600 haven't been added to your total. With those at RRP you're basically all the way there to $1500. Build looks OK otherwise although you could get a better cooler that still fits into the nr200 (NH-U12S, Scythe Fuma 2). Another couple of case fans wouldn't go amiss either.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Ramadu posted:

cool thanks, i have no idea what that means so I'll do that. The next question I have is is there a good mobo that has built in wireless? ive been using usb adapters and they aren't great and it was suggested that a mobo with it is better? Is this wrong? I think I would need a b550 right?

It depends on the mobo size rather than the chipset for the most part. Generally speaking all ITX boards and many mATX come with inbuilt wifi. It's available as a feature on many ATX boards too. You can filter by this on PC Partpicker. The b550 chipset is the one you should be aiming for generally though. Inbuilt wifi is not an indicator of quality though, and for the best wifi you want to search for WiFi 6 rather than WiFi 5.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

spunkshui posted:

A lot of the most popular beautiful RGB looking things right now are made by corsair.

Basically if you see fans that react and do different patterns pretty much guarantee that those are LL120s or LL140

Corsair LL Series LL120 RGB 120mm Dual Light Loop RGB LED PWM Fan 3 Fan Pack with Lighting Node Pro https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075VGN4M1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabt1_BXTSFbWD5ARMA

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...p/CC-9011188-WW

This is Corsairs cheapest case that comes with three of those very expensive fans and it comes with the box that you need to actually control the RGB because they have two cables coming from each fan. One for power and one just for RGB.

Corsair’s makes other cases that are cheaper that do you have addressable fans but they’re the cheaper model that has less LEDs.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Cases/Mid-Tower-ATX-Cases/iCUE-4000X-RGB-Tempered-Glass-Mid-Tower-ATX-Case/p/CC-9011204-WW

Both cases will come with a node core that will let you connect to six corsair RGB fans / light strips

Corsair’s products like their fans and their RGB strips use proprietary connectors and are more addressable.

The corsair glowing “vengeance” rgb ram you see everywhere doesn’t have any connectors it draws its power from the mobo.

If you don’t wanna be stuck with corsair than most motherboards have an RGB connector port or two that will allow you to plug-in basic RGB strips or some types of RGB fans.

Corsair’s has spent the last few years trying to be the king when it comes to a RGB and RGB softwear and it shows. But they’re absolutely charging $$$$ for it.

This is great info, thanks!

I wasn't planning on spending that much on a case, but I'm thinking about it. I figure I'm looking at 50 + 45 for say an equivalent coolermaster setup with 3 fans. I'll keep an eye out for any BF/CM deals on the cases as well.

Whats a decent alternative? I was looking at cooler master... anything else worth looking at or just save myself some pain and go Corsair

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

skipdogg posted:

This is great info, thanks!

I wasn't planning on spending that much on a case, but I'm thinking about it. I figure I'm looking at 50 + 45 for say an equivalent coolermaster setup with 3 fans. I'll keep an eye out for any BF/CM deals on the cases as well.

Whats a decent alternative? I was looking at cooler master... anything else worth looking at or just save myself some pain and go Corsair

Chances are your kids have been literally looking at those exact fans if they tell you they want an RGB computer because they’ve been watching twitch or youtube.

If you want to go cheaper I’d still consider the cheaper Corsair 4000 RGB computer just because corsair’s RGB software is top-notch.

For the price difference I think it’s worth getting the 465x case that comes with the nicer looking LL120 fans.

Corsair literally charges over $100 for three of those things without a computer case because they look that good.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
Hey goons, I'm looking to build a PC around my EVGA 3080 XC3 that isn't bottle necking it in games. I'm not a streamer and the video work I do is not intense, so mainly concerned about VR (2160x2160 per eye) and potentially 1440p performance. I already have the XC3 Black, and I'll likely have a 5600x soon too. I tried researching everything, but wanted a second opinion before I buy the rest of it. Put an emphasis on performance airflow for my cpu cooler and case. Anything I'm missing?

What are you using the system for? VR gaming. Very occasional 1080 premiere work. Not too worried about that though.
What's your budget? $2500, PC only.
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? Premiere and Photoshop.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? HP Reverb G2 VR headset at decently high settings in iRacing. I currently rock a 1080 monitor, but may upgrade to a 3440x1440 ultrawide at some point.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($178.31 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 UNIFY ATX AM4 Motherboard ($299.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($249.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB XC3 BLACK GAMING Video Card
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Best Buy)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GA 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1138.26

edit: also i do not really care about overclocking but if it's easy with these parts then maybe i'll gently caress around?

Shogunner fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 16, 2020

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Butterfly Valley posted:

Inbuilt wifi is not an indicator of quality though, and for the best wifi you want to search for WiFi 6 rather than WiFi 5.

Is real-world performance between WiFi 5 and 6 noticeable for the average person though?

I know that WiFi 6 is better at reducing collisions than WiFi 5, but my impression is that this doesn't typically matter unless you are in a sports stadium or concert or something.

Also, the max speed is greater with WiFi 6, but you will only see this difference if your isp connection is insane. I think WiFi 5 goes up to 1 Gbps.

I'm not sure if there are other benefits that WiFi 6 has over WiFi 5? I mean, it is theoretically better and a no-brainer if you can get it for the same price.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Shogunner posted:

Hey goons, I'm looking to build a PC around my EVGA 3080 XC3 that isn't bottle necking it in games. I'm not a streamer and the video work I do is not intense, so mainly concerned about VR (2160x2160 per eye) and potentially 1440p performance. I already have the XC3 Black, and I'll likely have a 5600x soon too. I tried researching everything, but wanted a second opinion before I buy the rest of it. Put an emphasis on performance airflow for my cpu cooler and case. Anything I'm missing?

What are you using the system for? VR gaming. Very occasional 1080 premiere work. Not too worried about that though.
What's your budget? $2500, PC only.
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? Premiere and Photoshop.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? HP Reverb G2 VR headset at decently high settings in iRacing. I currently rock a 1080 monitor, but may upgrade to a 3440x1440 ultrawide at some point.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($178.31 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 UNIFY ATX AM4 Motherboard ($299.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($249.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB XC3 BLACK GAMING Video Card
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GA 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1138.26

edit: also i do not really care about overclocking but if it's easy with these parts then maybe i'll gently caress around?

That cooler is like $100 more than it's supposed to cost so I don't know WTF is up with that, but also you don't need a D15 to cool a 65W TDP 5600X, if you want to look baller the D15 Chromax Black is still "only" $100 when in stock. Otherwise get a U14S for $65.
Why do you want to spend $300 on a mobo? You can get literally the exact same IRL performance for <$200, especially if you don't need wifi
Sadly the SX8200 Pro apparently got a downgraded controller when nobody was looking. You can get a Samsung 970 Evo Plus for the same money now it looks like (they used to be priced higher IIRC)
You don't need an 850W PSU if you're pairing the 3080 with a CPU that only draws like 88W max
If I was spending a lot on RAM I'd rather get Crucial Ballistix, also tall ram doesn't play as well with the D15 (though you can move the front fan a bit to get around it) but should be fine with the D15S or U14S.

e: Just realized the 400D Airflow only comes with 2x120mm fans standard which is kind of mediocre. Maybe get 2x120mm fans more so you can go 3x120mm front 1x120mm rear?

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 17, 2020

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

D15 is fine if you want to OC later and never buy another cpu cooler.

But fine at 79$ like its showing right now, not 178$ due to auto Amazon pricing if it sells out.

Just use stock if that happens.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

AFAIK it's still kind of a waste to OC AMD.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
I'm guessing that D15 is listing at $180 because it's the special AM4 SKU, which I assume they discontinued since they put the AM4 mounting kits in every SKU now.

Anyway if your case has a window you might as well get a black Chromax edition imo

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

sean10mm posted:

That cooler is like $100 more than it's supposed to cost so I don't know WTF is up with that, but also you don't need a D15 to cool a 65W TDP 5600X, if you want to look baller the D15 Chromax Black is still "only" $100 when in stock.
Why do you want to spend $300 on a mobo? You can get literally the exact same IRL performance for <$200, especially if you don't need wifi
Sadly the SX8200 Pro apparently got a downgraded controller when nobody was looking. You can get a Samsung 970 Evo Plus for the same money now it looks like (they used to be priced higher IIRC)
You don't need an 850W PSU if you're pairing the 3080 with a CPU that only draws like 88W max
If I was spending a lot on RAM I'd rather get Crucial Ballistix, also tall ram doesn't play as well with the D15 (though you can move the front fan a bit to get around it) but should be fine with the D15S or U14S.

So, I MIGHT buy a Ryzen 9 within the next year because gently caress it why not, and give the 5600x to someone, which is why I went with the 850w PSU and gently caress off cooler.

I only chose that high priced Noctua because PCPartPicker was saying that the normal version doesn't have an AM4 mount. Apparently I can get the mount free of charge here though? e: nvm they come with AM4 brackets now for the regular priced one. I was under the impression the big boys are quieter under load too which would be nice, and is why I went with the larger one, that and I'm into the retirement home colors on black internals.

Good to know for the SX8200 and ram. I don't really want any RGB except subtle soft white lighting in a black case with brown fans, so I can let go of the tall ram sticks.

The mobo is what I'm having the most trouble with. There are apparently sub $200 X570 boards that don't have PCIe 4.0, which is maybe something I want? Is there a board you'd recommend (that isn't Asus TUF branded) because I'd love to save $100.

edit: ^^^ u goons are crazy that beige is beautiful

Shogunner fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 17, 2020

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Shogunner posted:

So, I MIGHT buy a Ryzen 9 within the next year because gently caress it why not, and give the 5600x to someone, which is why I went with the 850w PSU and gently caress off cooler.

I only chose that high priced Noctua because PCPartPicker was saying that the normal version doesn't have an AM4 mount. Apparently I can get the mount free of charge here though? e: nvm they come with AM4 brackets now for the regular priced one. I was under the impression the big boys are quieter under load too which would be nice, and is why I went with the larger one, that and I'm into the retirement home colors on black internals.

Good to know for the SX8200 and ram. I don't really want any RGB except subtle soft white lighting in a black case with brown fans, so I can let go of the tall ram sticks.

The mobo is what I'm having the most trouble with. There are apparently sub $200 X570 boards that don't have PCIe 4.0, which is maybe something I want? Is there a board you'd recommend (that isn't Asus TUF branded) because I'd love to save $100.

No they all have 4.0 even the cheapest ones so does b550 just on fewer slots/ports

I_Socom
Jul 18, 2007

A great ride that requires finesse and effort to get the best out of it.

Random post for any UK goons - just a heads up that you can get cashback on various Asus products, including motherboards, through till 22nd November: https://promotion.asus.com/en/uk/q4gamingweeks

It brings down e.g. a Rog Strix B550-E from £210 RRP to £160 at Scan (which I'm going to pick up this week for my new build). Thought it might be useful to others too!

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
What country are you in? USA. I'm in western LA, so there's technically a microcenter about two hours away. I don't know if I can get Best Buy to price-match whatever deals they have but that would help. they say they pricematch in a 25 mile radius so I could always go halfway to the microcenter and pricematch at a best buy in central LA, if they match in-store deals.
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Gaming, running a plex server, photoshop.
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so. 800-1000 + monitor
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? What’s your typical project size and complexity? If you use multiple pieces of software, what’s your workflow?
]If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? I'd be happy at 1440p 60 with a 27 inch monitor. If I can swing it, I'd go for a 144hz monitor, but if the build I end up on can't make use of it I assume it would be better to wait and just turn the 1440p 60 monitor into a second monitor in a year or so.

My current laptop is a Lenovo Y50-70, which has served me faithfully since the release of the Witcher 3. In an ideal world, I'd like to not be unsatisfied if I get a game on PC instead of PS5.

I don't want to deal with the tenuous availability of the latest graphics cards, I'm comfortable in the midrange of the previous generation, but I'd like to get the most for my money in the 200-300 dollar range and I'm willing to go up a little for a good deal. Ideally in a year or two I'd like to upgrade to whatever the next midrange one is without being CPU limited at that point. I'm comfortable going up to 1000 before monitor.

This is going to be in a bedroom, so while airflow is very important, I'd like to ensure that it's very quiet when I'm just leaving the plex server running.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.00 @ B&H)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($68.99 @ Corsair)
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($83.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER 4 GB GAMING X Video Card ($216.99 @ Dell)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($78.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA BQ 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($69.94 @ Office Depot)
Total: $907.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-16 18:39 EST-0500

Thank you for your generous help, wise thread optimization elders.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Mimir posted:

What country are you in? USA. I'm in western LA, so there's technically a microcenter about two hours away. I don't know if I can get Best Buy to price-match whatever deals they have but that would help. they say they pricematch in a 25 mile radius so I could always go halfway to the microcenter and pricematch at a best buy in central LA, if they match in-store deals.
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Gaming, running a plex server, photoshop.
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so. 800-1000 + monitor
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? What’s your typical project size and complexity? If you use multiple pieces of software, what’s your workflow?
]If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? I'd be happy at 1440p 60 with a 27 inch monitor. If I can swing it, I'd go for a 144hz monitor, but if the build I end up on can't make use of it I assume it would be better to wait and just turn the 1440p 60 monitor into a second monitor in a year or so.

My current laptop is a Lenovo Y50-70, which has served me faithfully since the release of the Witcher 3. In an ideal world, I'd like to not be unsatisfied if I get a game on PC instead of PS5.

I don't want to deal with the tenuous availability of the latest graphics cards, I'm comfortable in the midrange of the previous generation, but I'd like to get the most for my money in the 200-300 dollar range and I'm willing to go up a little for a good deal. Ideally in a year or two I'd like to upgrade to whatever the next midrange one is without being CPU limited at that point. I'm comfortable going up to 1000 before monitor.

This is going to be in a bedroom, so while airflow is very important, I'd like to ensure that it's very quiet when I'm just leaving the plex server running.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.00 @ B&H)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($68.99 @ Corsair)
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($83.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER 4 GB GAMING X Video Card ($216.99 @ Dell)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($78.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA BQ 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($69.94 @ Office Depot)
Total: $907.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-16 18:39 EST-0500

Thank you for your generous help, wise thread optimization elders.

That 1650 super is way overpriced

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
Is there a thread concensus on which RTX3070 is the best choice? I'm looking at the Gigabyte ones for having 3 fans but I have no expertise whatsoever and I yield to the goon hive mind.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Elliptical Dick posted:

Is there a thread concensus on which RTX3070 is the best choice? I'm looking at the Gigabyte ones for having 3 fans but I have no expertise whatsoever and I yield to the goon hive mind.

Asus TUF

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

change my name posted:

That 1650 super is way overpriced

thank you. what is the 1440/60 card du jour? does the rest of this build look okay? is the 3070 such a great value in terms of “longevity” that i should just suck it up and wait for it to come back in stock?

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
A Ryzen 3700x is only a sidegrade/slight upgrade to a i7 7700k, right?

My 7700k is getting maxed out by every app and their mom these days, and with the impossibility of getting a Ryzen 5600, a 3700x is starting to look mighty tempting. :stonklol:

*edit* I have a 7700k, not a 9700k. Whoops.

Umbreon fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 17, 2020

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Umbreon posted:

A Ryzen 3700x is only a sidegrade/slight upgrade to a i7 9700k, right?

My 9700k is getting maxed out by every app and their mom these days, and with the impossibility of getting a Ryzen 5600, a 3700x isstarting to look mighty tempting. :stonklol:

Whats maxing out a 9700k?

Thats an extremely capable cpu.

Edit: Are you sure its not a gpu thing?

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Nov 17, 2020

SadBag
Jun 24, 2012

Something has gone very wrong for us to get to the point where Hot Dog is the admiral.
Power supply cable/case question. My power supply cable is bulky enough that it pushes the cases side panel out slightly, not enough that I can't shut the case, but enough that I have to push the side panel in while using the thumbscrews and there's a little more space between the side panel and the main case in the back than in the front when screwed on.
Its not pushing up against the motherboard on the other side, just the case behind the motherboard and the side panel.
Is this going to damage the cable or something else at some point if the cable is smooshed like this?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

SadBag posted:

Power supply cable/case question. My power supply cable is bulky enough that it pushes the cases side panel out slightly, not enough that I can't shut the case, but enough that I have to push the side panel in while using the thumbscrews and there's a little more space between the side panel and the main case in the back than in the front when screwed on.
Its not pushing up against the motherboard on the other side, just the case behind the motherboard and the side panel.
Is this going to damage the cable or something else at some point if the cable is smooshed like this?

If it did we would all be in huge trouble.

My cables are all VERY smashed into this tiny cable bar and im running 3 gpu power cables.

SadBag
Jun 24, 2012

Something has gone very wrong for us to get to the point where Hot Dog is the admiral.

spunkshui posted:

If it did we would all be in huge trouble.

My cables are all VERY smashed into this tiny cable bar and im running 3 gpu power cables.

Glad to hear. Thanks

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

spunkshui posted:

Whats maxing out a 9700k?

Thats an extremely capable cpu.

Edit: Are you sure its not a gpu thing?

Sorry, I misspoke, I normally used to have lots of apps running in the background with little issue, but nowadays some of my common apps take significant chunks of CPU, and so if I try to run an actual game(which will take 50-60%), I wind up being maxed out and start freezing/hitching sometimes.

League of legends(the client, not the actual game), tends to take 20-30%, and firefox tends to take another 10-20% even after a fresh restart. By themselves that's fine, but if I start running any demanding games, that becomes a problem. My GPU is an RTX 2080 and I never see that get anywhere close to maxed out, for what it matters.

*edit* I am extremely tired and just realized I've been typing 9700k and not 7700k, which is what I actually have. gently caress.

Umbreon fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 17, 2020

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Umbreon posted:

Sorry, I misspoke, I normally used to have lots of apps running in the background with little issue, but nowadays some of my common apps take significant chunks of CPU, and so if I try to run an actual game(which will take 50-60%), I wind up being maxed out and start freezing/hitching sometimes.

League of legends(the client, not the actual game), tends to take 20-30%, and firefox tends to take another 10-20% even after a fresh restart. By themselves that's fine, but if I start running any demanding games, that becomes a problem. My GPU is an RTX 2080 and I never see that get anywhere close to maxed out, for what it matters.

*edit* I am extremely tired and just realized I've been typing 9700k and not 7700k, which is what I actually have. gently caress.

A 3700X would maybe be 10% faster in games at 1080p vs. a 7700K, but it would be much better at multitasking since it has twice as many cores and threads.

If your main concern is gaming a 5600X is a way better buy for similar money (if you can find one)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Shogunner posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($300.00)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($219.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($149.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($249.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB XC3 BLACK GAMING Video Card ($700.00)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1909.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-16 20:44 EST-0500

Honestly even that board is overkill, you could "downgrade" to a B550 board like the B550M Bazooka and probably lose literally nothing IRL as long as it has enough ports for you.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 17, 2020