Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I still don’t understand. Is the “quadrophonic” setting surround? I’m pretty sure OP’s gonna end up with four speakers playing doubled stereo

Just two Left channels and two Right channels playing the same sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The behavior described in games certainly sounds like it’s actually surround, or at least telling the games that it is.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

powderific posted:

The behavior described in games certainly sounds like it’s actually surround, or at least telling the games that it is.

To slightly parrot what I said earlier, I wonder if running 4 speakers then means that OP would be missing their center channel.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Ok Comboomer posted:

To slightly parrot what I said earlier, I wonder if running 4 speakers then means that OP would be missing their center channel.

Any decent sound card or surround system will downmix the channels to whatever speakers you have set up, as long as you configure it right. The center channel will just be split between the front left and right.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Ok Comboomer posted:

I still don’t understand. Is the “quadrophonic” setting surround? I’m pretty sure OP’s gonna end up with four speakers playing doubled stereo

Just two Left channels and two Right channels playing the same sound.

Look I'm as confused as you are. I've plugged the yellow red cables into the other ports on accident a few times when doing cable managment and desk clesn ups and it's pretty funny, i can't hear poo poo and i think i broke my sound but then i jump into a game and i hear the poo poo thats supposed to be behind me lol

Plug them into the right ports and bam i got frontal game sound. Yeah idk

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Figured this would be the best place to ask since a lot of you might be in the same spot as me.

My current setup has a lot of cables, but not necessarily all of it traveling through my computer where it's easy to switch between headphones and speakers digitally.

Ideally, I'd want to find a device that lets me plug in multiple sources of audio (or route audio through it) to then have mechanical knobs and/or switches to control the audio output on whichever thing I've got it set on.

For example, I have an Xbox plugged into my monitor via HDMI and audio comes out via whatever I plug into the 3.5mm jack, a Switch plugged into an Elgato which then routes audio through my computer itself, and then just my computer audio itself. Is there a device that I could buy that would allow me to plug in my headphones and speaker one way, my computer, Xbox, and whatever else I add another way, and then allow me to easily switch between output on the headphones or speakers? Like, mechanically hit a physical button to make it so it would "take in" the Xbox/monitor audio, and then another button to choose whether I want it to output via the headphones or speakers. Then knobs to control the volume of that outputted audio on the speakers or headphones.

I don't know a lot of audio jargon, and I feel like I've seen this exact device exist and used by a bunch of people before, but I don't know where to even begin.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

LODGE NORTH posted:

Figured this would be the best place to ask since a lot of you might be in the same spot as me.

My current setup has a lot of cables, but not necessarily all of it traveling through my computer where it's easy to switch between headphones and speakers digitally.

Ideally, I'd want to find a device that lets me plug in multiple sources of audio (or route audio through it) to then have mechanical knobs and/or switches to control the audio output on whichever thing I've got it set on.

For example, I have an Xbox plugged into my monitor via HDMI and audio comes out via whatever I plug into the 3.5mm jack, a Switch plugged into an Elgato which then routes audio through my computer itself, and then just my computer audio itself. Is there a device that I could buy that would allow me to plug in my headphones and speaker one way, my computer, Xbox, and whatever else I add another way, and then allow me to easily switch between output on the headphones or speakers? Like, mechanically hit a physical button to make it so it would "take in" the Xbox/monitor audio, and then another button to choose whether I want it to output via the headphones or speakers. Then knobs to control the volume of that outputted audio on the speakers or headphones.

I don't know a lot of audio jargon, and I feel like I've seen this exact device exist and used by a bunch of people before, but I don't know where to even begin.
Might be other particular terms but basically an audio mixer? Looks like there's ones with HDMI too, although not sure they'll do what you want specifically or if you need that necessarily.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
Is there any recommended soundbars for a PC set up that are acceptable quality? I haven't used one in a long time and don't have fond memories of them sounding any good. Ideally I'd like to be able to watch movies/listen to music and have it sound as good as the cheap 2.1 set up I bought 15 years ago. The speakers I have now just don't fit in my set up in a convenient way.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
thread seems maybe a lil dead, but gonna give a post a go anyways: anyone here have experience with the Kanto Yu2? I want some nice <$300 speakers for my desk, but I have very little room and will be basically placing them directly under my monitor, giving me about 8" of clearance to work with - too short for most bookshelves (which also take up more room than I'd like in general on my small desk). The Yu2 seems like one of the only good tiny options. Others I'm looking at:

* Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
* Audioengine A2+
* iLoud Micro Monitor

my goals are just 2-channel stereo for games and music, nothing too fancy. the option to get a sub is nice but as long as they have some bass I don't need it day one.

Martian Manfucker posted:

Is there any recommended soundbars for a PC set up that are acceptable quality? I haven't used one in a long time and don't have fond memories of them sounding any good. Ideally I'd like to be able to watch movies/listen to music and have it sound as good as the cheap 2.1 set up I bought 15 years ago. The speakers I have now just don't fit in my set up in a convenient way.

I'm also curious about this, since it seems like it'd be easy to place a sound bar under my monitor!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

abraham linksys posted:

thread seems maybe a lil dead, but gonna give a post a go anyways: anyone here have experience with the Kanto Yu2? I want some nice <$300 speakers for my desk, but I have very little room and will be basically placing them directly under my monitor, giving me about 8" of clearance to work with - too short for most bookshelves (which also take up more room than I'd like in general on my small desk). The Yu2 seems like one of the only good tiny options. Others I'm looking at:

* Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
* Audioengine A2+
* iLoud Micro Monitor

my goals are just 2-channel stereo for games and music, nothing too fancy. the option to get a sub is nice but as long as they have some bass I don't need it day one.
I would guess those all sound roughly similar [except for the Promedias because they have a sub]. Kantos seem to be reviewed well and they go on sale a lot.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I had the promedia 5.1 set 17 years ago when they were like the cats meow and I feel like every 2.0 system I’ve had since is better if you’re not just looking for output. I have the original A2, and have been eyeing the micro monitors.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

powderific posted:

I had the promedia 5.1 set 17 years ago when they were like the cats meow and I feel like every 2.0 system I’ve had since is better if you’re not just looking for output. I have the original A2, and have been eyeing the micro monitors.
Yeah I've had the ProMedia 2.1 and they're fine as babby's first system and the subwoofer is nice, but for audio quality they're basically the bare minimum.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
And I'd third wishing there was a good desktop system designed sound bar. Razer makes one, the leviathan, but I dunno how much I trust them for audio stuff.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

powderific posted:

And I'd third wishing there was a good desktop system designed sound bar. Razer makes one, the leviathan, but I dunno how much I trust them for audio stuff.

lookin' up reviews of that thing make it seem fine for gaming and virtual surround sound, much less fine if you want good music, I guess. a friend of mine just got a refurb Sonos Beam for $280, and I'm curious how that'll end up being - that one is a bit of a challenge tho since the only input is a single HDMI, so you'd probably need to get some adapters and such

the Yu2s are out of stock in most colors at a bunch of places, but Dell claims to have them so I guess I'll try ordering from there with a very high chance they just cancel it, heh

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I vaguely recall the iLouds reviewed well, at least by anal waveform analysis and whatnot (whether you'll like that or not depends on your listening tastes)...they just have the design of generic $20 desktop speakers.

Another option might be Presonus E3.5 at 8.3" tall, purely just going off dimensions here, but general internet searching around seems to say they're ok? If you can go to 9.2", Edifier 1280s have been recommended here and/or other speaker threads. But yeah it's slim pickings at the small sizes. I have the A2s and they're fine. I've debated a sub now and then (it does provide noticeable improvement) but usually forget about it cause they're generally good enough on their own for desktop use.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
What's the current recommendation for a set of 5.1 surround computer speakers?

I had a set of Logitech Z-5500 surround speakers that lasted over a decade but they died due to a lightning strike a few years ago. I replaced them with Logitech Z906 and it's died after only a couple years (specifically, the subwoofer that all the other speakers route through has developed a dead channel ).

Is there a set of high quality surround speakers that'll last me for a long, long time? I want a set of speakers that I won't have to replace for a decade or until the next lightning strike. I don't want to drop $250 on another set of Logitechs that'll just die in a couple years -- I'd rather buy something in a higher price bracket that's more reliable and has better quality.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Nov 7, 2020

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
PC speakers have seemingly moved away from surround sound so I don’t think you have a ton of options unless you roll your own with a home theater setup or a bunch of self powered monitors. Otherwise it’s another set of logitechs or something similar. If you’d be OK going stereo, there’s plenty of options, though I don’t have a great sense of which ones might last you a decade.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

powderific posted:

PC speakers have seemingly moved away from surround sound so I don’t think you have a ton of options unless you roll your own with a home theater setup or a bunch of self powered monitors. Otherwise it’s another set of logitechs or something similar. If you’d be OK going stereo, there’s plenty of options, though I don’t have a great sense of which ones might last you a decade.

Yeah, maybe I just want to roll my own. Is there a good consensus "home theater" pc "receiver" ? I like surround sound for games, but I'm really disappointed in the quality of the Logitechs -- if I'm gonna spend $250 for poo poo that doesn't last I might as well spend twice that and buy something that's real quality. It's not like speakers are technology that changes, I still have a pair of antique Advent loudspeakers from the 1970s that function perfectly fine .

It's tempting to eyeball something like these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0779GRFWF?tag=highlightreviews-28750-20&th=1 but realistically I think I could probably keep using the actual speakers I have, they're fine, it's just the subwoofer they all thread into that's busted.

EDIT:

I think I might go by this article here: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/blog/soundbar-vs-surround-sound-system/ unless someone has some better suggestions.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 7, 2020

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, maybe I just want to roll my own. Is there a good consensus "home theater" pc "receiver" ? I like surround sound for games, but I'm really disappointed in the quality of the Logitechs -- if I'm gonna spend $250 for poo poo that doesn't last I might as well spend twice that and buy something that's real quality. It's not like speakers are technology that changes, I still have a pair of antique Advent loudspeakers from the 1970s that function perfectly fine .

It's tempting to eyeball something like these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0779GRFWF?tag=highlightreviews-28750-20&th=1 but realistically I think I could probably keep using the actual speakers I have, they're fine, it's just the subwoofer they all thread into that's busted.

EDIT:

I think I might go by this article here: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/blog/soundbar-vs-surround-sound-system/ unless someone has some better suggestions.

A 5.1 "computer" system and a 5.1 theater system are going to be the same thing. A game is basically a movie as far as metrics for audio goes (except that movies tend to have better sound mixing and general attention paid to audio).

That being said, I would rather spend $500 on a good stereo / 2.1 system than trying to split that across 6 speakers and an amp.

Check out this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3384469

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

EDIT:

If I really really wanted a nearfield 5.1 setup and I had a low budget to do it in I’d look for a cheap 5.1 receiver (don’t spend more than $250, do consider floor models, heavy markdowns and specials, preowned and free gear from Craigslist or family members, hand me downs from upgrading other systems, etc)

I’d add five Micca speakers (all of their lines are good for this, really just choose based on budget and the size of your space) or maybe five Pioneer ‘Andrew Jones’ (although those are big and ugly) or five vintage Realistic Minimus 7’s at ~$50 per pair.

Then whatever money I had left, I’d look for a cheap 8-10” sub. Maybe add it later if your budget’s stretched.

That system for maybe $450-600 (much less if you’re good at thrifting and cobbling together used gear) built around literally any relatively recent AV receiver will kick the absolute poo poo out of any Logitech boxed desktop surround system.

Edit: if you hustle, you can get this really well-reviewed five speaker set for $220:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JJ5VKHL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ezQPFbE075C1W

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Nov 7, 2020

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I have some JENSEN JP1200 speakers, and I used to have hooked up to 5.1 receivers, though, both my receivers have died of old age (HDMI ports went, way out of warranty, thus it's useless now)

I want to get a record player but I'm noticing that those only seem to have RCA out, and these use regular speaker wire. Do I just get some sort of speaker wire to RCA converter, or do they need to go through an amp or something?

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-KJoPeRNsuO1/p_20646KILO/Kicker-46KiSLOC.html

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You do need an amplifier, and ideally one with a phono input, though you can also add a phono preamp separately.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
Best budget 2/2.1 speakers? I don't want to go all out, as in the future ill's want to spend the money on a sound system for the TV and pass through to that, but something serviceable for desktop gaming or YouTube watching at around the 100AUD mark would be nice. There's the Logitech Z313s or the Pebble Plus that seem to be the go-tos in that price range here, but I'm open to whatever if there's some hidden gem out there.

e: Going back a few pages, and doing some more poking around, the Edifier R1280DB's are on sale (with free shipping) for $140AUD. Looks to be a deal worth paying the extra on?

Aaronicon fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Nov 12, 2020

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

EDIT:

Probably save some space using a sound bar, however I like speaker pairs.

I've used powered and unpowered speakers for my PC for several years.

My current speakers are the LS50 Wireless which sound amazing, and don't require external power. They also have a connector for a subwoofer if you want to add one. But they are expensive. There is also a smaller system by KEF for desktops, but I haven't listened to those. They are much cheaper.

Before that I had SVS Ultra bookshelf speakers using a Sonos amp which worked really well, but I wanted less bass and fewer cables so went with the KEF instead, and before that I used the Audio Engine A5+. Each time was an upgrade in audio quality/detail.

I really think it's worth spending some money on good speakers if you like listening to music or movies/shows through them if you have the desk space or room for speaker stands on either side of your desk.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I have a set of M-Audio AV-40's that are having issues with channel balance (I've got left @ 25% / right at 100% for some semblance of centered sound) and am looking at replacing them - they don't owe me anything after 10+ years. Currently looking at Audioengine A5+, and Mackie CR5-X. Are there others I should be looking at? I am not interested in running a separate amp setup unless there's something for comparable sound/quality/volume at that price point. Budget is about $400 USD, could stretch a bit if needed.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

TrueChaos posted:

I have a set of M-Audio AV-40's that are having issues with channel balance (I've got left @ 25% / right at 100% for some semblance of centered sound) and am looking at replacing them - they don't owe me anything after 10+ years. Currently looking at Audioengine A5+, and Mackie CR5-X. Are there others I should be looking at? I am not interested in running a separate amp setup unless there's something for comparable sound/quality/volume at that price point. Budget is about $400 USD, could stretch a bit if needed.

Don't go with the Mackie CR5-Xs. If you want to go with Mackie move to the MR series as they are not cheap junk. You should also look at the Presonus Eris E5 which I got to hear recently and I am pretty impressed with, especially for the price but I am not sure about longevity and of course the JBL LSR305 which no doubt be recommended as well. All of which should be around that $400 dollar mark.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

TrueChaos posted:

Djarum posted:

Don't go with the Mackie CR5-Xs. If you want to go with Mackie move to the MR series as they are not cheap junk. You should also look at the Presonus Eris E5 which I got to hear recently and I am pretty impressed with, especially for the price but I am not sure about longevity and of course the JBL LSR305 which no doubt be recommended as well. All of which should be around that $400 dollar mark.

Adam A5 are probably the champs in this price point at the moment

I have 305s and love em tho. I’d recommend getting a preamp of some kind with volume control (like a Schiit Sys or Magni if you want a good headphone amp)

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

I wouldn't buy anything from Presonus. I have an Eris E4.5 active/passive pair, and after about 15 months the amp started spewing high-frequency staccato noise into the passive speaker.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So I broke one side of my current speakers (Harmon Kaidon Soundsticks 3) because I accidentally dropped it on the floor while I was cleaning out my room. Going to try to glue it back since it seems like only the enclosure and this small tube in the bottom middle of it split apart almost cleanly. I do have a couple of questions in case this fix doesn't work though:

1. What should I look for if I want a replacement? I got these Soundsticks on a massive sale like 5 years ago more than any love for Harmon Kaidon in particular. I'm currently eyeing the Edifier R1280DB since it seems to be quite well reviewed.

2. If I do get new speakers that might not have subwoofer, is it possible/recommended to use my Soundsticks' subwoofer and connect them together? That makes sense to me but I don't know if it's actually a good idea.

Based in Malaysia, so a lot of the brands in the latest page are either unavailable or, more likely, incredibly overpriced due to import charges etc. We do have the bigger name brands at least: Sony, Klipsch, Harmon Kaidon, Edifier, Bose, JBL...

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Artelier posted:

So I broke one side of my current speakers (Harmon Kaidon Soundsticks 3) because I accidentally dropped it on the floor while I was cleaning out my room. Going to try to glue it back since it seems like only the enclosure and this small tube in the bottom middle of it split apart almost cleanly. I do have a couple of questions in case this fix doesn't work though:

1. What should I look for if I want a replacement? I got these Soundsticks on a massive sale like 5 years ago more than any love for Harmon Kaidon in particular. I'm currently eyeing the Edifier R1280DB since it seems to be quite well reviewed.

2. If I do get new speakers that might not have subwoofer, is it possible/recommended to use my Soundsticks' subwoofer and connect them together? That makes sense to me but I don't know if it's actually a good idea.

Based in Malaysia, so a lot of the brands in the latest page are either unavailable or, more likely, incredibly overpriced due to import charges etc. We do have the bigger name brands at least: Sony, Klipsch, Harmon Kaidon, Edifier, Bose, JBL...

Reach out to Harman customer service, I’ve heard good things. Maybe they’re able to get you a single replacement speaker at reduced cost.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Ok Comboomer posted:

Reach out to Harman customer service, I’ve heard good things. Maybe they’re able to get you a single replacement speaker at reduced cost.

Already did prior to my earlier post but haven't received a response, hence why I'm trying to fix the satellite myself or just replace the thing.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Artelier posted:

Already did prior to my earlier post but haven't received a response, hence why I'm trying to fix the satellite myself or just replace the thing.

eBay, global shipping program.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I just wanted to say that I bought a pair of Roland MA-12 C and I'm loving them.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

MrOnBicycle posted:

I just wanted to say that I bought a pair of Roland MA-12 C and I'm loving them.

Those are so rad looking, I've always wanted a set.

How do they sound?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Ok Comboomer posted:

Those are so rad looking, I've always wanted a set.

How do they sound?

I think they sound great for the size and price. My previous speakers were Logitech Z523s (which are poo poo IMO), and the sound is night and day. Much crisper and fuller. Probably the best PC speakers I've ever had. Well worth getting if you happen to come across some. I paid about $80 for my pair, but googling them they seem to go for more than double on eBay etc, and that might be a bit much. But drat they look cool. Worth it just for the super 90's look that take me back to my childhood and the early computers we had.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

MrOnBicycle posted:

I think they sound great for the size and price. My previous speakers were Logitech Z523s (which are poo poo IMO), and the sound is night and day. Much crisper and fuller. Probably the best PC speakers I've ever had. Well worth getting if you happen to come across some. I paid about $80 for my pair, but googling them they seem to go for more than double on eBay etc, and that might be a bit much. But drat they look cool. Worth it just for the super 90's look that take me back to my childhood and the early computers we had.

Yamaha YST-M10 are really nice alternatives to those as well. I had a pair for years and never had a complaint.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO

Aaronicon posted:

Best budget 2/2.1 speakers? I don't want to go all out, as in the future ill's want to spend the money on a sound system for the TV and pass through to that, but something serviceable for desktop gaming or YouTube watching at around the 100AUD mark would be nice. There's the Logitech Z313s or the Pebble Plus that seem to be the go-tos in that price range here, but I'm open to whatever if there's some hidden gem out there.

e: Going back a few pages, and doing some more poking around, the Edifier R1280DB's are on sale (with free shipping) for $140AUD. Looks to be a deal worth paying the extra on?

Quoting myself here to say, yes, they were paying the extra on. These speakers are absolute bangers and the only downside to them is that I worry they're going to be an entryway to the audiophile money pit where I'll start having opinions about tubes and soundscapes.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Aaronicon posted:

Quoting myself here to say, yes, they were paying the extra on. These speakers are absolute bangers and the only downside to them is that I worry they're going to be an entryway to the audiophile money pit where I'll start having opinions about tubes and soundscapes.

Edifiers are pretty low on the tower, you’ve got a long way to go before you have to think about tubes don’t worry

Never a bad time to think about speaker placement, room characteristics, and listening environment tho

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

My 305P MKII's emit a whine (around 2000-3000hz maybe) after they go into standby mode. I think they didn't do that in the first couple of months I had them. Then they only had the usual amp hiss.
Anything I could do about it?

Sininu fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Nov 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Have you tried turning them off and on again?