Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

bob dobbs is dead posted:

big fov, less lag, teleportation not motion, and a vibrating dildo or other vibrating thing next to your inner ears, those are the things that help motion sickness

teleportation works as vr movement but isn't really a thing in most 3d games on a 2d screen. and i'd rather not play than have anything vibrating on my head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

i'm immensely amused about the thought of certain elements of the gaming community strapping ali express vibrators to their heads with sweatbands to combat motion sickness

not casting aspersions at anyone here, but the thought of the kind of person who yells homophobic slurs doing it while they have vibrating dongs on both sides of their head is pretty great

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its why i think it should be widely spread imo

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

vibrator in ear = frag all night

i don't even care if it's bullshit tbh, i'm 100% going to spread it

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
i don't get motion sickness from vr but it does make my eyes hurt after a bit

i think i need a really minor eye prescription that's just different enough to gently caress my vision up in vr

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

i think i need a really minor eye prescription that's just different enough to gently caress my vision up in vr

yeah i was worried about getting sick in vr but it's been great. you might need an rx or also it's a lot of light right next to your eyeballs for an extended period; can sometimes make anyone hurt after a while.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

BLOBby Newmark posted:

my experience is that dualshocks involve janitoring, but that was with a knock off ps3 model, not sure about the current ones

the model 1708 xbone controller is very good and uses regular bluetooth or can be plugged in with a usb cable. it's officially supported by ms and on win 10 at least just works

360 controllers are still a viable option, but ms broke compatibility with knock off wireless receivers, and official ones were stupidly expensive the last time i looked. you can get the knock offs working, but it's a pain in the hoop

you'll see a lot of 'partial controller support' on steam, but that just means that not 100% of everything can be done with the controller. if it's a console port it'll be fine for gameplay, but you might need to use the mouse for graphics settings or such

BLOBby Newmark posted:

my experience is that dualshocks involve janitoring, but that was with a knock off ps3 model, not sure about the current ones

the model 1708 xbone controller is very good and uses regular bluetooth or can be plugged in with a usb cable. it's officially supported by ms and on win 10 at least just works

360 controllers are still a viable option, but ms broke compatibility with knock off wireless receivers, and official ones were stupidly expensive the last time i looked. you can get the knock offs working, but it's a pain in the hoop

you'll see a lot of 'partial controller support' on steam, but that just means that not 100% of everything can be done with the controller. if it's a console port it'll be fine for gameplay, but you might need to use the mouse for graphics settings or such

The Fool posted:

wired xbone controller is by far the best pc controller experience

I found an Xbone controller in my drawer so he’ll yeah

thanks gang

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

BLOBby Newmark posted:

vibrator in ear = frag all night

i don't even care if it's bullshit tbh, i'm 100% going to spread it

incidentally there’s a market opportunity here

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Sagebrush posted:

try increasing the field of view. a number of years ago i noticed fps games were starting to make me sick and i thought i was getting old. but it turned out to be that console fps games are hugely zoomed in, with like a 60 degree field of view, because otherwise you couldn't see poo poo from across the room, and that default fov was getting ported directly to the pc version. boost it to about 100 degrees (on a 16:9 monitor) and my brain goes ahhhhhh and i can play for hours once again.

just triggers on/off at 50% travel iirc.

FOV and Headbob are two ones. I usually up the FOV in almost every game I can just because I feel claustophobic if I don't and that's unpleasant, but not Motion Sickness inducing

Weirdly though just every once in awhil ehteres a game or two that just absolutely demolish me. for example, Talos Principal gave me horrendous motion sickness, even with tweaking the fov. I ended up having to play in 3rd person and doing some other changes but I have absolutely no idea why that one particularly game did it. There's also been a few others here and there that's like UGH WHATS GOING ON HERE, but sometimes I can manage it with FOV+Headbob or maybe Windowed Mode changes

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

crepeface posted:

the new PlayStation controllers are awesome. the haptics simulate different materials so you feel the difference from dying to a giant hammer swing or dying from a fireball. the triggers have dynamically changeable resistance.

I expect these features will be used in no more than a handful of first party games.
yeah, the demo stuff in astro's playground is very cool, but i have little belief the features will get picked up. i guess it's neat to feel miles shotting webs but it's not like a big thing

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Endless Mike posted:

yeah, the demo stuff in astro's playground is very cool, but i have little belief the features will get picked up. i guess it's neat to feel miles shotting webs but it's not like a big thing

pretty much goes for every NEXT GEN LAUNCH hype feature. lol remember 6-axis poo poo? kinetic? whatever

sadly the fact is it will probably never work on the PC. DS4 button faces and stuff are barely supported as it is, and nothing even uses 6-axis poo poo either. There's also the fact it may have to be included within a game's design framework pretty early on and not just as simply as flipping a switch so it'll take game dev time, so with multi-console launches like having to support XboX X Series S e X gimped version and all that fun stuff, it probably won't be used in many, if any, multi-plat games.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 17, 2020

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sagebrush posted:

try increasing the field of view. a number of years ago i noticed fps games were starting to make me sick and i thought i was getting old. but it turned out to be that console fps games are hugely zoomed in, with like a 60 degree field of view, because otherwise you couldn't see poo poo from across the room, and that default fov was getting ported directly to the pc version. boost it to about 100 degrees (on a 16:9 monitor) and my brain goes ahhhhhh and i can play for hours once again.

nms had this problem, for me, and yep 100 fob fixed it and made the game seem less claustrophobic

which was weird considering its a procedural space and planet game

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

they tighten the fov specifically in the derelict freighter missions though to fit in the confined space which i both hate and respect because it adds to the creepy factor

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

crepeface posted:

the new PlayStation controllers are awesome. the haptics simulate different materials so you feel the difference from dying to a giant hammer swing or dying from a fireball. the triggers have dynamically changeable resistance.

I expect these features will be used in no more than a handful of first party games.

You used to have to do some janitoring with DS4windows (which had a memory leak from ads that'd crash your system after awhile lol).

Steam supports DS4 controllers now, but some games will still use the Xbox button prompts.

i use a ps4 controller and assassination creed it knows what’s up and it just works

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Improbable Lobster posted:

I would love more peripheral vision with it, and even with the average peripheral vision, you kinda have to face something to look at it rather than just move ya eyes around. maybe that can’t be solved idk

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLCcfRZTgVQ

lol

edit:

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qjo5ci8lDt1z0fbu9.mp4

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Nov 17, 2020

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

lmao. also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBtNwAry2mw

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

go on let's have the morrowind one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF-XMtNEudQ

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

the hl sfx meme is an eternal fountain

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

PIZZA.BAT posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idQ4jrr8lN0

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

PIZZA.BAT posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV8kMOXPoZE

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lol gamers suck so bad

https://twitter.com/RenRenHa/status/1324723881563881474

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

:stonk:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

oof

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
:staredog:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

hachi machi

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i just noticed he also says "exspecially," like a five year old

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

the reviewer is black

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I just found the Sphinx in AssCreed Odyssey and one of the riddles she posed me was Gollum's nearly-successful gambit :o:

This thing all things devour: birds, beasts, trees, flowers; gnaws iron, bites steel; grinds hard stones to meal; slays kings, ruins towns; and beats high mountains down.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lmao its so bad

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

it also looks like none of the textures loaded

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/afillari/status/1324735543192645633?s=21

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

the haptics feedback triggers on the xbone controller are pretty cool in the one pc game that supports it forza horizon 4

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

naturally everyone in the comments ignores this or tries to frame the original (black) reviewer as not being black enough to make comparisons like that

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

o/~ thaaat's twiitter o/~

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I'm nearly a hundred hours into AssCreed:Odyssey and its a fantastic ancient greece simulator, I'm enjoying the gameplay loop but I think the sheer effort that's gone into the world here (even more so than Egypt in Origins) is what really impresses me.

Currently on sale https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/assassins-creed-odyssey-gold-pc on a deep discount (and the standard edition without the extra story dlc is a few quid cheaper even), the cash-per-hour outlay is some good value for money.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

naturally everyone in the comments ignores this or tries to frame the original (black) reviewer as not being black enough to make comparisons like that

that also ignores the plenty of black people making comments that don’t say anything about the reviewers blackness except to say that he’s not the final arbiter over whether they thought it was an appropriate way to review the game. reactions were pretty clearly six of one half dozen of another in that community.

with that said the gamespot editor is probably right about the original comment but I don’t consider any opinion I have about the review or responses relevant bc I’m not a poc.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I'm nearly a hundred hours into AssCreed:Odyssey and its a fantastic ancient greece simulator, I'm enjoying the gameplay loop but I think the sheer effort that's gone into the world here (even more so than Egypt in Origins) is what really impresses me.

It's very good. I only wish the games had been made in the other order so that egypt had had a slighty better engine and attention to detail. some places in the desert in origins are good.. and the fact you can see the pyramids from almost anywhere on the map? and the variety of terrain? and bayek? and bayeks hot as gently caress wife?

viking simulator that I am playing now is more different from the last two than the last two were from each other. I've been playing for almost ten hours or maybe more and I am still using the same equipement I got in the first hour. so far it's feeling kinda grindy, basically have to raid enemy bases to get building materials to build my own home town, because there ain't just horses everywhere and I don't have a horse yet and only just got a blacksmith.

just want more progress and may burn out who'll find out

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Currently on sale https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/assassins-creed-odyssey-gold-pc on a deep discount (and the standard edition without the extra story dlc is a few quid cheaper even), the cash-per-hour outlay is some good value for money.
i liked both but i liked egypt as a setting better. apart from crete all the islands with missions looked kinda the same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I never got into the asscreed games but the low key wander around history mode of one of them sounded pretty neat, is it worth futzing with?