Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nuebot posted:

I'm surprised the big callout was "Oh no, boob armour" and not the fact that the lady mandalorians also had like, weirdly feminized visors as well which I don't think is a thing they've ever really done in star wars before? There've been plenty of women wearing mandalorian armour, and there've been more than one style of visor. But I can't recall off-hand any with that specific style of like, tapering shape that makes it look more like lady eyes. If it was any more cartoonish they would have given them eyelashes.

It’s lifted right out of a cartoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the thing i'll always associate with brentalfloss is that absolutely baffling song where he posits that Tetris is a bad game because girls like it

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

CelticPredator posted:

It’s lifted right out of a cartoon

That would make sense then, the modern cartoons came about right around the turn of me losing my interest in star wars so I never saw them.

Alaois posted:

the thing i'll always associate with brentalfloss is that absolutely baffling song where he posits that Tetris is a bad game because girls like it

He had a lot of bad songs like that; I always knew him as "the guy who put lovely lyrics to any kind of moderately popular game soundtrack" and was completely surprised too find out he had a following and a webcomic and all sorts of poo poo.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Casey Finnigan posted:

there has been so much star wars poo poo shoved down the throat of everyone since 2015, please make it stop. I am not nostalgic for the 70s anymore. Make some kind of new cultural property please

All the people that wanted to make a new thing did so in the 60's and 70's. Now we're just cashing in on it endlessly.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

RareAcumen posted:

All the people that wanted to make a new thing did so in the 60's and 70's. Now we're just cashing in on it endlessly.

that is not true, Death Stranding came out last year. first time I've ever gotten to genuinely befriend a fetus

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I cannot possibly imagine having a strong opinion about Anita Sarkeesian in 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Casey Finnigan posted:

that is not true, Death Stranding came out last year. first time I've ever gotten to genuinely befriend a fetus

So Norman Reedus finally got to star in a video game with a talking fetus that didn't get canceled?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Benne posted:

I cannot possibly imagine having a strong opinion about Anita Sarkeesian in 2020

I think a big part of this is having strong opinions about Star Wars, which is timeless

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
hey wait but I have strong Star Wars opinions...

oh no :smithicide:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Benne posted:

Capital G gamers will never forget a grudge so long as the target is a woman.

Even Jack Thompson can be happily welcomed into their fold as long as he keeps himself focused on the real threat: Females asking why games would be made in such a way that they would find hostile to them on purpose.

Ubisoft's loving 'straight white alpha male' bullshit

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 17, 2020

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I like the owl face visor thing as a design, but it does kind of end up looking like they felt the need to make more feminine Mandalorians when the whole cool, ambiguous armor is part of their appeal. You can justify in-universe how some busty Mandalorians might need special chest plating, but from a character design perspective it's transparently to flag them as women.

sexpig by night posted:

yea I'm fine with things as long as it's the Monster Hunter/Final Fantasy style, let EVERYONE look like Paladins that part time at the local strip club and don't like to change between jobs, drat it. Men want to look like sluts too :argh:

I'm a bottom feeder who adores Monster Hunter, but you're giving it a bit too much credit when it comes to cross-gender armor designs. They'll slip in a couple male armors with tights or mankinis but there's an inverse ratio of female hunter armors that are full armor sets with cool helmets to various cleavage plates and exposed midriffs or thighs. It's nowhere near the worst in that regard but it does make it hard to piece together a cool armored lady costume over the clowsuit you slapped together for optimal skills. :(

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Monster Hunter sure does like exposing thighs, that's for sure.

Take this cold weather outfit, it's cold out! [armor has no pants, exposing the hunter's thighs]

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I like that A.) nearly two days passed before this complaint about the Mandalorian started getting discussed here, and B.) that even half the thread is saying, "Who gives a poo poo about Anita's sex-negative critique and petty complaints over Mandalorians having form-fitting armor?", a sentiment I've seen expressed elsewhere.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Jimbot posted:

Take this cold weather outfit, it's cold out! [armor has no pants, exposing the hunter's thighs]

It became a running joke with my friends that the only thing I was looking for in a character was that they wore pants because we played a string of games (mostly f2p mmos and poo poo) where I kept finding characters I liked but then none of the outfit choices gave them pants, so now pants is an actual thing I look for in a character to play.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

I like that A.) nearly two days passed before this complaint about the Mandalorian started getting discussed here, and B.) that even half the thread is saying, "Who gives a poo poo about Anita's sex-negative critique and petty complaints over Mandalorians having form-fitting armor?", a sentiment I've seen expressed elsewhere.

That discourse also died a quick and quiet death in the Mandalorian TVIV thread, which is amazing because TVIV is an even bigger poo poo pile than this thread tends to be. More hay has been (rightfully) made over the fact that Gina Carano recently outted herself on Twitter as a right wing conspiracy nut, political violence advocate, and transphobe rather than whatever impactless dumbfuck thing Anita Sarkeesian said about boobie armor.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

*roman bellic voice*

beeg mandalorian titties

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

That discourse also died a quick and quiet death in the Mandalorian TVIV thread, which is amazing because TVIV is an even bigger poo poo pile than this thread tends to be. More hay has been (rightfully) made over the fact that Gina Carano recently outted herself on Twitter as a right wing conspiracy nut, political violence advocate, and transphobe rather than whatever impactless dumbfuck thing Anita Sarkeesian said about boobie armor.

I enjoyed the first season of mandalorian but between this and rosario dawson being brought in I just could not care less to defend the show, regardless of my thoughts on anita's mandalorian opinions.

Also how is mandalorian not already in Google's spell checkeror whatever on my phone.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Garrand posted:

It became a running joke with my friends that the only thing I was looking for in a character was that they wore pants because we played a string of games (mostly f2p mmos and poo poo) where I kept finding characters I liked but then none of the outfit choices gave them pants, so now pants is an actual thing I look for in a character to play.

Hey, same here! I play a lot of Japanese games (usually JRPGs) and I keep picking the wrong ones too, because oops all high heels and skirts.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I am a writer for The Mandalorian and when the reason for the boob armor is revealed you will be ashamed of your words and deeds.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Can you please write baby yoda eating cara dunes head for season 3

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

CelticPredator posted:

Can you please write baby yoda eating cara dunes head for season 3

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

RareAcumen posted:

Hey, same here! I play a lot of Japanese games (usually JRPGs) and I keep picking the wrong ones too, because oops all high heels and skirts.

I appreciate Fromsoftware games letting characters (usually) wear the same armorsets regardless of gender settings.
But damnit, I wanted my character to be able to wear the black Church set as a skirt in Bloodborne!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

nine-gear crow posted:

Meanwhile my youtube recs are completely hosed because the anti sarkesian chuds and thin skinned star wars youtubers have been losing their minds over the weekend making videos pointing and shrieking over the boob plate criticism.

And they keep getting recommended to me as videos that people who watch Jim Sterling also watch, which is weird.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Jimbot posted:

it's basically a capcom hallmark

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Max Wilco posted:

She's not even being sex negative here. She's doing the same thing most of her Tropes Vs Women videos are and pointing out baseline obvious things. In this case: the problem with our societal need to gender code things. And like every other time she espouses feminism 101, angry nerds are pissing and making GBS threads themselves and rolling around in their own filth over it. It is funnier in the context that she previously missed that there was a female character with a speaking role in The Mandalorian, but if you asked her she probably wouldn't have suggested this as a "fix" to that "problem".

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I like how the banbaro armors, the armors that are built from and for living in an arctic-like environment, are like

the male armor, making you look like a huge armored moose furball just like banbaro

and then the female armor is a skirt with some very exposed thighs and some boots with the fur

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Honestly, the gendered armor difference that makes me the saltiest in Monster Hunter World is the halloween costume:

It's not even pinup-y but I want to be a cool pumpkin ghost knight... and guys deserve the right to be cute pumpkin witches I guess.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

She's not even being sex negative here. She's doing the same thing most of her Tropes Vs Women videos are and pointing out baseline obvious things. In this case: the problem with our societal need to gender code things. And like every other time she espouses feminism 101, angry nerds are pissing and making GBS threads themselves and rolling around in their own filth over it. It is funnier in the context that she previously missed that there was a female character with a speaking role in The Mandalorian, but if you asked her she probably wouldn't have suggested this as a "fix" to that "problem".

If this is her point she expressed it pretty badly. It kind of just looks like she's upset about a female body shape being visible under clothing at all.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
her tweet is stupid and everyone talking about the tweet is stupid, except me

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

nine-gear crow posted:

The Gina Carano stuff gets even weirder the more you dig too

https://twitter.com/chanelkenobi/status/1328235354042683392?s=20

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Big boomer uncle facebook energy on Gina Carano’s twitter timeline.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Captain Invictus posted:

and then the female armor is a skirt with some very exposed thighs and some boots with the fur

I never get character design like this. Are guys expected to play Monster Hunter one handed or something?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

there is a gulf of difference between horny rear end and titty armor and armor that just isn't designed to crush women's chests

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Augus posted:

there is a gulf of difference between horny rear end and titty armor and armor that just isn't designed to crush women's chests

armor tends to have this layer called "padding" it's pretty great and allows you to flatten the plate itself in a way that deflects blows away from the heart instead of guiding them there

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

CYBEReris posted:

armor tends to have this layer called "padding" it's pretty great and allows you to flatten the plate itself in a way that deflects blows away from the heart instead of guiding them there
Tbf the male Mandalorian has an equally eyecatching target in the middle of his chest.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Honestly if Sarkessian can keep in the public eye with such lukewarm takes more power to her. She should point out that the Mandolorian (probably) hasn't passed the bechdel test yet next.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I feel like people have a problem distinguishing between diagnosis of the problems with our horrible culture and condemnation of specific tv shows or movies. Saying that it's silly that you have to give boobs to female mandalorians in order to signal that they're women isn't saying that the show itself is stupid or bad, necessarily. It's like how Ms. Pacman can still be the best Pacman game but also not a triumph for feminism just because they put a bow on Pacman's head to make a pac lady.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I feel like people have a problem distinguishing between diagnosis of the problems with our horrible culture and condemnation of specific tv shows or movies. Saying that it's silly that you have to give boobs to female mandalorians in order to signal that they're women isn't saying that the show itself is stupid or bad, necessarily. It's like how Ms. Pacman can still be the best Pacman game but also not a triumph for feminism just because they put a bow on Pacman's head to make a pac lady.

Are you suggesting that it's both possible, and even necessary, to simultaneously enjoy media while also being critical of its more problematic or pernicious aspects?

Impossible!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

in other news, Jim Sterling is handling the launch of the new console generation pretty well!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a839K4aHxQo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
wait what happened with rosario dawson