Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

ill admit i do not know very much about american interest rate policy but for the uk at least there’s like zero percent chance of them moving up significantly in the next 2 years

it’s relatively similar, though I guess the thing that differentiates American variables from elsewhere is I’m not entirely sure they cant just jack your interest rate to 18.999% if the going gets too tough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

https://twitter.com/joelycett/status/1328458161402097666?s=19

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

baby were your'e parents operating systems? because you're a piece of poo poo lmaoooooo #yolo #swag *dabs, and segways over a cliff*

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

spankmeister posted:

They are, mRNA vaccines are a miracle.

Much like my posting!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Much like my posting!

wow must be some kind of hosed up blessing in disguise then

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Much like my posting!

ⓘ 𝗢𝗳𝗳𝗶𝗰𝗶𝗮𝗹 𝘀𝗼𝘂𝗿𝗰𝗲𝘀 𝗱𝗶𝘀𝗽𝘂𝘁𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘃𝗮𝗹𝗶𝗱𝗶𝘁𝘆 𝗼𝗳 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝘀𝘁𝗮𝘁𝗲𝗺𝗲𝗻𝘁.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
lol

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
someone make a greasemonkey script to change the ! icon into *ron howard voice*

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Methanar posted:

canadian interest rates are going to still be in the toilet in 2 1/2 years. Which is the length of time before I can next renegotiate for free. In 2 1/2 years I'll lock in a 2.3% or whatever for 3 years.

Fixed rates weren't nearly as good as 1.83%

didn't know you were in canada, but yeah we get hosed on mortgages

for those that don't know, at most canadians usually lock in for five years fixed, ten years is an option but is like 2-4% higher than a five year.

there's a reason why the canadian finance thread is called "Canadian Finance and Investing Thread - Paying More is our National Pastime"

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

spankmeister posted:

They are, mRNA vaccines are a miracle.

Also it's proven technology because it was used for the ebola vaccine.

this is loving cool

since you seem to be keeping up on this stuff, is this related to vaccines i've heard about where they want to target the parts that don't mutate or mutate slowly? i heard they've been working on a version for the flu for years but there's no political will since it only kills a relatively small number of people and we have vaccines already...

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Eeyo posted:

you can also just watch this dude’s youtube where he rides around the world on a unicycle. i think he’s totally unsupported. i haven’t seen them all im sure it gets boring after a while. he even camps by the roadside and eats beans from tins or whatever it is british people do.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLocRYksAqGOJnr-Y0eyP87P5banlFicp4

at the food hole the other day i was wearing a shirt from a triathlon and the checker asked me about it saying she also did triathlons. i said “oh i only did the one and it was just a sprint tri” (a sprint triathlon being half the distances for swim/bike/run of an olympic triathlon) and she said “that’s cool, I usually do sprint triathlons on my unicycle”

i don’t know if she was loving with me or not - even a sprint tri is like a 12 mile bike ride, but no one has owned me that completely with a one sentence comment since i peed my pants in elementary school.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

keep austin wheeled

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
it is the league of american wheelmen after all. just one wheel

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

it director said in a town hall today we will be going back as hybrid eventually, wfh half the time.

wonder how that will work since they already gutted our office to rearrange for the call center, and are in the process of hiring 3k more for the call center

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Cold on a Cob posted:

didn't know you were in canada, but yeah we get hosed on mortgages

for those that don't know, at most canadians usually lock in for five years fixed, ten years is an option but is like 2-4% higher than a five year.

there's a reason why the canadian finance thread is called "Canadian Finance and Investing Thread - Paying More is our National Pastime"

the american 30-year fixed mortgage is an insane thing that only exists because of government subsidy, without that they wouldn't be available or would have an huge interest rate premium

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

DuckConference posted:

the american 30-year fixed mortgage is an insane thing that only exists because of government subsidy, without that they wouldn't be available or would have an huge interest rate premium

home ownership has turned out to be an excellent tool for turning people into conservatives so I’d say it’s paid off in the long run

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Shaman Linavi posted:

it director said in a town hall today we will be going back as hybrid eventually, wfh half the time.

wonder how that will work since they already gutted our office to rearrange for the call center, and are in the process of hiring 3k more for the call center

i have bad news about your upcoming promotion

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

my company did the “oops barely any money for raises this year, y’know, covid and such but we’re a strong team!” followed by announcing two 5 year new customer deals the next week

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
we recently had to scramble to replace our marketing coordinator because she suddenly decided to move back home to care for her parents and my bosses are all being real cagey about why she couldn't work from home there/why she actually left

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

qirex posted:

my company did the “oops barely any money for raises this year, y’know, covid and such but we’re a strong team!” followed by announcing two 5 year new customer deals the next week

I'm expecting to hear our raise budget any day now, expecting even more paltry numbers than usual because of "market conditions" even though we've had a barn-burner of a year massively exceeding all growth targets.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Man if I'd put in my Winter vacation to start a day earlier I would've gotten my vacation money in this month's pay :(

Fäk

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sassafras posted:

I'm expecting to hear our raise budget any day now, expecting even more paltry numbers than usual because of "market conditions" even though we've had a barn-burner of a year massively exceeding all growth targets.

one thing about working in the finance industry is they tend to be super transparent about our actual financial performance which is great even this year but we're wholly owned by a larger company that is not having a good 2020

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Man if I'd put in my Winter vacation to start a day earlier I would've gotten my vacation money in this month's pay :(

Fäk
is this a not-america thing? here you typically just keep getting paid as normal when you're on vacation

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

qirex posted:

one thing about working in the finance industry is they tend to be super transparent about our actual financial performance which is great even this year but we're wholly owned by a larger company that is not having a good 2020

Wholly owned indeed

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

the ninnies who run the place here are trying to fill a pretty important position, that has some significant skill requirements, but they're only doing it as a low-paying temp job through May or something because covid. good luck with that.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

qirex posted:

is this a not-america thing? here you typically just keep getting paid as normal when you're on vacation

Well of course you keep getting paid normally, otherwise it would be a furlough or something. But you get vacation money for coming back (weirdly enough as it's paid before the vacation).

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

So if you don't intend to come back you only give notice the day after your vacation ends.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Our executives very generously said they were going to give up their bonuses to make up for loses but we would have to contribute our part as well.

We're also moving to the FAANG interviewing structure to hire "better" engineers.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

More like FAANG OCKSÅ

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Our executives very generously said they were going to give up their bonuses to make up for loses but we would have to contribute our part as well.

We're also moving to the FAANG interviewing structure to hire "better" engineers.

ask them which engineer got hired that wasn't supposed to have.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cold on a Cob posted:

this is loving cool

since you seem to be keeping up on this stuff, is this related to vaccines i've heard about where they want to target the parts that don't mutate or mutate slowly? i heard they've been working on a version for the flu for years but there's no political will since it only kills a relatively small number of people and we have vaccines already...

I haven't heard about them working on the flu vaccine but it wouldn't surprise me. It's a good idea because the current flu vaccine is only about 40% effective. I don't know if they are able to target any antigens that are common to all influenza viruses but it would be extremely cool. A universal flu vaccine would be a game-changer.

Scientists have been warning about coronaviruses for years, decades. We KNEW about the bats being a reservoir for pandemic-potential coronaviruses. Had we spent more money on research we could have already had antiviral drugs and vaccines ready.
This whole pandemic could have been prevented, 100%. There are no mysteries here. It's just about putting in the time and money and doing the science. That's all.

In my opinion we need to get rid of the economics entirely and just go with a pure science-based approach, funded publicly, globally.

Constant monitoring of pathogens in animal populations so we can predict which ones might jump to humans. Then work on vaccines or antiviral drugs for those, and keep them on hand for when we need them.
Then when there is a new outbreak, we might be able to nip it in the bud.

BTW I get most of my information from a podcast called This Week in Virology, which has been a shining beacon of unbiased scientific information during the pandemic, IMO. They have some very interesting guests (Tony Fauci for example) but they themselves are experts in virology and immunology.
My main gripe is that they often run 2, 2.5 hours which is a large time investment but it's an excellent way to keep current and to get real expert opinion without any bias from the media. My other gripe is that there is a lot of technical jargon, but you get used to that.
https://www.microbe.tv/twiv/

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 17, 2020

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

quote != edit

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

our operating budget has been cut to almost zero (four figgies for the entire department for the year, lomarf) and there will be no raises but apparently it is helping people keep their jobs.

i don't know if i believe the admin when they say that, because some people have still been laid off, but what can you do. at least it seems a little more ethical than making the minimum wage workers take a pay cut along with the exec bonuses because it's "fair" or some bullshit

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

our operating budget has been cut to almost zero (four figgies for the entire department for the year, lomarf) and there will be no raises but apparently it is helping people keep their jobs.

i don't know if i believe the admin when they say that, because some people have still been laid off, but what can you do. at least it seems a little more ethical than making the minimum wage workers take a pay cut along with the exec bonuses because it's "fair" or some bullshit

in the last economic downturn in '08, one of our local colleges had to go to faculty / staff, and not only cut salaries but they asked them to send money to keep the school afloat. i think they're doing okay now, and have developed a bunch more online stuff in the interim. which has been really helpful for weathering corona. afaik they're doing okay now, hope your school does the same you seem like a nice prof

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

spankmeister posted:

I haven't heard about them working on the flu vaccine but it wouldn't surprise me. It's a good idea because the current flu vaccine is only about 40% effective. I don't know if they are able to target any antigens that are common to all influenza viruses but it would be extremely cool. A universal flu vaccine would be a game-changer.

Scientists have been warning about coronaviruses for years, decades. We KNEW about the bats being a reservoir for pandemic-potential coronaviruses. Had we spent more money on research we could have already had antiviral drugs and vaccines ready.
This whole pandemic could have been prevented, 100%. There are no mysteries here. It's just about putting in the time and money and doing the science. That's all.

In my opinion we need to get rid of the economics entirely and just go with a pure science-based approach, funded publicly, globally.

Constant monitoring of pathogens in animal populations so we can predict which ones might jump to humans. Then work on vaccines or antiviral drugs for those, and keep them on hand for when we need them.

lol nobody gets rich off that :rip::911:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

AnimeIsTrash posted:

we only hire the best that we can afford with below market salaries

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

spankmeister posted:

BTW I get most of my information from a podcast called This Week in Virology, which has been a shining beacon of unbiased scientific information during the pandemic, IMO. They have some very interesting guests (Tony Fauci for example) but they themselves are experts in virology and immunology.
My main gripe is that they often run 2, 2.5 hours which is a large time investment but it's an excellent way to keep current and to get real expert opinion without any bias from the media. My other gripe is that there is a lot of technical jargon, but you get used to that.
https://www.microbe.tv/twiv/

cool cool, thanks

:tipshat:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

lol we've now lost the fifth purchasing agent on this project I am running this is great

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

qirex posted:

there's always money for the execs
there's never money for the workers

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i haven't been able to care about work in months
just doing the bare minimum to not get noticed or fired
i have nothing else to do with my day regardless
:sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i guess the reason the tp is getting sold out is because a bunch of truckers are planning on going on strike later this month to protest joe biden and his extreme leftist cronies because they're going to ban fracking

durrrrrrrrrrrr