Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I now have two lottery tickets for a PS5 from two different stores. Even if I win one of them though, for the last month my employer has been saying “we’ll tell you for sure next week” about my planned job transfer to Osaka, so I probably shouldn’t buy one until I know for sure. The lotteries will be called next week and I sure hope I know by then.

This two month period at the end of the hell year 2020 is just a crazy bottleneck for everything in my life, and also happens to be when the PS5 came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Bluepoint didn't do the Silent Hill HD Collection. I used to think they did for years, but it was Hijinx Studios. (PS3 did get a significant patch later on to fix a lot of issues but it's not perfect.)

I know they didn't do the Silent Hill HD Collection. I was offering it as a potential project for them to do because the studio that did do it botched it, and Blue Point actually knows what they're doing, so it'd be cool if we got a version from them.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Maybe this is a dumb question, but if we choose a 60 fps mode in a game, dropping the resolution to 1080p, does the TV/PS4 upscale it back to 4k anyway? I guess that's not as good as native 4k, but is it a LOT worse?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

henpod posted:

I guess that's not as good as native 4k, but is it a LOT worse?

Might still look good enough, but yes.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Never give Bioshuffle attention unless it’s to tell him to gently caress off

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Anti-Hero posted:

Pretty sure it's gig-E.

So this is weird - my brother told me to omit the network and just plug the ethernet connections directly between the two consoles.

Of course, the consoles don't see each other and so I have to log in to the WiFi, but now the data transfer is 10 times faster and is estimated to take a little over an hour to complete. That can't be going over my ancient wireless N connection, can it?

Wouldn't you need a crossover cable (or a dummy switch) for that to work?

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
Well, there was a new system update tonight...

Which didn't fix my Bluetooth problem with my controllers :(

At least I can play wired with Bluetooth turned off, but oy... Hope there's a proper fix soon.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Man, the dualsense battery life is dire. I feel like the DS4 which already had the worst battery life of any controller lasts twice as long.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Firmware issues aside, do games from a normal external HDD run better, as if they were on the main SSD? I know loading times won't be as good, but all these FPS boosts etc.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

Man, the dualsense battery life is dire. I feel like the DS4 which already had the worst battery life of any controller lasts twice as long.
What the gently caress?

The Switch Pro controller lasts like a month. What is Sony doing so wrong?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Does bugsnax make good use of the dualsense's haptics or am I not losing much in the way of experience if I play the ps4 version?

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

I caught the end of peeve streaming some demon's souls the other day and he said his dualsense lasted pretty much 10 hours on the dot till it needed charging, seems like an improvement over the DS4?

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I was playing Demon's Souls for at least 10 hours before the controller said it was running low. I might still get a second controller but might wait for other colors to come out.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Fedule posted:

So, just to be sure, is Amazon UK restocking at 12 midnight or 12 noon on Thursday?

...and where are people getting these updates from? I've signed up for updates since the first preorder wave clusterfuck but they've sent literally no updates to me since then.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
is there enough Production for the current demand? as I don't believe either sony or ms are doing the nintendo "slow shipments to create hype" and pretending it was a covid-19 production or shipment issue when the majority of the west switches were by then made in Vietnam and not China

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Celexi posted:

is there enough Production for the current demand? as I don't believe either sony or ms are doing the nintendo "slow shipments to create hype" and pretending it was a covid-19 production or shipment issue when the majority of the west switches were by then made in Vietnam and not China

lol

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Noon.

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Celexi posted:

Microsoft said they expect hardware shortages to last through Q1 2021.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

Samurai Sanders posted:

What the gently caress?

Fwiw, I get about 50% more battery life with the Dualsense compared to the DS4.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Kirios posted:

Not for years, mate.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Noon. Don't know why I got an email though, I'm not even signed up for updates.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

fridge corn posted:

Does bugsnax make good use of the dualsense's haptics or am I not losing much in the way of experience if I play the ps4 version?

It uses the triggers but it only has one single effect that's not particularly impressive. (The slight click of pushing a button) The vibration effects are pretty good, but overall I doubt any of the experience is lost by playing on PS4.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Anyone in Germany ordered from gamestop.de? I pre-ordered back when they first opened up, thought it was confirmed, but I haven't gotten a shipping email, and my account on their site shows the status of the purchase as "in Bearbeitung" (in processing) still.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Samurai Sanders posted:

What the gently caress?

I mean, the Dual Sense has:

Haptic feedback with finer detail than the Switch Joy Cons
Adaptive triggers that employ small motors
Built-in controller audio
Headphone output with near instant latency
Dual microphones
Higher resolution touch pad than the DualShock 4

In short, it's doing a lot compared to the Switch Pro Controller. It's a standard wireless controller with a NFC touch point.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Kirios posted:

Modern networking hardware don't need actual crossover cables anymore (with a few pins swapped at one end), they're smart enough now that they can figure out they're hooked up directly to another device and figure themselves out on a software level.

Welp, looks like I'm going to have to be one to test external storage with this new firmware.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
ps5 software patch is out apparently. next gen stability.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
i've seen people mention they can turn the speaker in the controller off and have those sounds play through their speakers. How do you do that? I don't see any option in the accessories or sound menu to do so. I see a volume slider bar for controller speaker. Do you just set the slider all way to the left?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I would like to buy the Sony Playstation 5 console.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

VideoGames posted:

You haven't bought it yet? Your name is videogames and you're the video games mod! You are supposed to set an example.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

veni veni veni posted:

I've had the complete opposite experience. I didn't even charge it when I first got it and it lasted two days of pretty intense playing, probably twelve hours total before it gave me the low battery warning. DualShock 4 only lasted like four hours on a full charge.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

VideoGames posted:

Me too :(

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Confirmed: PS5 has no VideoGames

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

John F Bennett posted:

You haven't bought it yet? Your name is videogames and you're the video games mod! You are supposed to set an example.

Back in the pre-order days I had one in my cart! I just decided to save the money for others things instead. Now I am wishing I had clicked proceed.

Soul Glo posted:

Confirmed: PS5 has no VideoGames

:smith:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

il serpente cosmico posted:

I know they didn't do the Silent Hill HD Collection. I was offering it as a potential project for them to do because the studio that did do it botched it, and Blue Point actually knows what they're doing, so it'd be cool if we got a version from them.

if you thought the grousing over the demons' souls art changes was bad, imagine how fans would react if the least gangrenous smear was altered in silent hill 2

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Just installed the system update, my system reset, and I'm not getting any picture... The system is in and my controller is connected. I'm afraid to manually reboot the console. All I got is a black screen.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Early signs for external storage are promising, at least for now it looks like it's cooperating with my 8tb drive.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Detective No. 27 posted:

Just installed the system update, my system reset, and I'm not getting any picture... The system is in and my controller is connected. I'm afraid to manually reboot the console. All I got is a black screen.

What kind of television do you have? It could be an issue with the TV. I know Sony is waiting to roll out an update to fix types of issues.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Hey guys just checking in is the PS5 good and worth getting and is getting the all-digital version a better use of money since I'll be able to expand it later on so I might as well use the extra hundred bucks on a second controller+game thanks in advance.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

VideoGames posted:

Same!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

Hey guys just checking in is the PS5 good and worth getting and is getting the all-digital version a better use of money since I'll be able to expand it later on so I might as well use the extra hundred bucks on a second controller+game thanks in advance.

I buy all my disc games second hand and sell them for the same price I bought them. No digital for me.