Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
just a drawing but https://twitter.com/rhl__/status/13...se-not-original

shows the minimal size differences. reviews are about as someone suggested earlier, that physically there’s little difference but the mini is ever so slightly more awkward because there’s just more screen to navigate with your thumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
The screen is long. but such is the price of progress

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mediaphage posted:

just a drawing but https://twitter.com/rhl__/status/13...se-not-original

shows the minimal size differences. reviews are about as someone suggested earlier, that physically there’s little difference but the mini is ever so slightly more awkward because there’s just more screen to navigate with your thumb

it doesn't matter. SE-ailures will tell you that even 1 planck length larger in any direction is too large and they will never be able to use it or fit in their pockets

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
my thumb is precisely calibrated to the SE. giving me more screen in the same sized body is not acceptable. tim will pay for this!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Endless Mike posted:

it doesn't matter. SE-ailures will tell you that even 1 planck length larger in any direction is too large and they will never be able to use it or fit in their pockets

people want to buy the low priced iPhone but tell themselves it’s because they want the smaller size. expensive iPhone comes out in the same dimensions, so must find a flaw rather than admit to themselves that what they really liked was the low price.

it’s okay to buy the cheap phone if that’s what you want. you don’t have to buy a mini.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
id like to be able to go into an apple store to actually try out the mini to see how it is but covid

also like see my family and friends and stuff

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
m1 Mac reviews are out. it’s a goddamn monster.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

tbh I’d love an iPhone that is as tall as new mini, maybe slightly shorter, and much more narrow. iMessage, email, basic web browsing, a couple of apps designed for the ui, and a camera. then a bigger device that’s for everything else. it’s an unreasonably luxury idea, i know, but i like the flexibility of going light when i really want to, and having a big display when i don’t. the apple watch would theoretically do some of this but you’re obviously not going to, say, read on one.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
went from a 6s to a 12 mini, it's smaller than the 6s (and therefore smaller than the SE2) and the square sides feel way nicer, less like a slippery bar of soap and more like an easy to grip bar of soap

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/panzer/status/1328700283770179585?s=21

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The Management posted:

m1 Mac reviews are out. it’s a goddamn monster.

the relevant anand test: https://www.anandtech.com/show/16252/mac-mini-apple-m1-tested

as expected things look a bit more nuanced now that we have a broader set of benchmarks, seems to be trading hits with high-end (laptop model) zen3 pretty evenly, both single-threaded and same-count multithreaded. it is likely running in a thinner power envelope as well though.

rosetta 2 has something like a 25% hit in the benchmarks, which is pretty drat good.

will be real interest to see the fanless performance, i doubt anything will touch the m1 there for some time.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

will it be like the OG MacBook that left a burn mark on my thigh

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
making work buy me an m1 pro, I use docker but they have committed to making it work so I'll just work around that for a while

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i assume you cant install windows via bootcamp on the new chips since theyre not intel chips?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Silver Alicorn posted:

yes but the burn will be shaped like an Apple logo

bump_fn posted:

i assume you cant install windows via bootcamp on the new chips since theyre not intel chips?

no bootcamp, vm only.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

The Management posted:

yes but the burn will be shaped like an Apple logo

now that's what i call branding

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the relevant anand test: https://www.anandtech.com/show/16252/mac-mini-apple-m1-tested

as expected things look a bit more nuanced now that we have a broader set of benchmarks, seems to be trading hits with high-end (laptop model) zen3 pretty evenly, both single-threaded and same-count multithreaded. it is likely running in a thinner power envelope as well though.

rosetta 2 has something like a 25% hit in the benchmarks, which is pretty drat good.

will be real interest to see the fanless performance, i doubt anything will touch the m1 there for some time.

that rosetta performance is loving impressive

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
the most important benchmark:

91% battery remaining after spending 20 minutes compiling webkit is pretty impressive too. might actually be able to use it for a few hours of dev work without power

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

drat look at all those threads getting ripped

coke
Jul 12, 2009
ill keep on using the og se while outside because faceid is bad with masks and we ain't getting out of this plague anytime soon

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

coke posted:

ill keep on using the og se while outside because faceid is bad with masks and we ain't getting out of this plague anytime soon

se2 has touchid

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

This site is pretty neat of you want a 3d comparison of different phone models
https://www.hotspot3d.com/#compare/apple-iphone-12-mini-red/apple-iphone-se-2020-black

coke
Jul 12, 2009
^saw that linked posted a few times, no original se :argh:

Celexi posted:

se2 has touchid

yeah but it's also bigger than the se instead of being mini sized or smaller, i mean there's also the 12 pro when im not wearing a mask so it all works out

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Silver Alicorn posted:

reviews i've been seeing are that the air starts throttling at around 10 minutes if running at 100% and they get mildly warm at best

I like dave2d's review for "non-overly technical but a lot of 'how does this actually feel in real world usage'" stuff. he's very to the point as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ6vX6nmboU

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

coke posted:

The og se is still a great phone. I see no reason for me to get a new one right now.

I’ll get a new one when Apple stops supporting the og se. Maybe I’ll get the 12 mini or the newest mini iPhone, if there will be one.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
apparently electron apps will have their performance significantly (source formatting) degraded under rosetta 2, and electron apps may interact badly with fat apps and fully double in size instead of just duplicating the actual binaries (that's a guess) lol

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

that’s a lomarf

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
that should be fixed fast, most electron apps have monthly or weekly builds

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Phobeste posted:

apparently electron apps will have their performance significantly (source formatting) degraded under rosetta 2, and electron apps may interact badly with fat apps and fully double in size instead of just duplicating the actual binaries (that's a guess) lol

i'm not gonna point fingers at apple for electron sucking rear end

coke posted:

i just switched to pin unlock on the 12 mini because lol @ faceid

silence_kit posted:

The og se is still a great phone. I see no reason for me to get a new one right now.

I’ll get a new one when Apple stops supporting the og se. Maybe I’ll get the 12 mini or the newest mini iPhone, if there will be one.

agreed. i wouldn't have changed phones if the mini 12 wasn't bought for me. i got my se in 2017 and probably wouldn't have replaced it until 2022 or so

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 17, 2020

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the spring ios update was supposed to make faceid recognize when you're wearing a mask and fall back to pin much faster, this works most of the time for me

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Perplx posted:

that should be fixed fast, most electron apps have monthly or weekly builds

yes but you have to update to electron 11 which just came out and probably update whatever you use to actually do the full app build infra like electron-builder and also change stuff to distribute the right kind of binary lol. whoops!

infernal machines posted:

i'm not gonna point fingers at apple for electron sucking rear end

oh i'm totally not, this is very funny reap-what-you-sow for everybody relying on electron because they're too lazy to make native apps (of which i am one, but still lomarf)

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
xcode doubled in size when they added arm64 so i don't expect electron to be any better

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
that's because xcode is 95% native code, electron should be able to get away with only having arm and x86 variants for the core runtime and sharing the JS between them. but I'm guessing their packager doesn't work like that and it will output a complete copy of the JS for each target architecture until they put in the work to make it stop doing that

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

haveblue posted:

that's because xcode is 95% native code, electron should be able to get away with only having arm and x86 variants for the core runtime and sharing the JS between them. but I'm guessing their packager doesn't work like that and it will output a complete copy of the JS for each target architecture until they put in the work to make it stop doing that

also the core runtime is chromium which isn't uh small

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I’ll tbh the 7 was always a compromise, it was ok but the size and shape made it less than ideal. the 12 mini is going to be my favorite for several years yet.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

haha the new mac mini draws 4 watts at idle, that's kind of awesome

coke
Jul 12, 2009

haveblue posted:

the spring ios update was supposed to make faceid recognize when you're wearing a mask and fall back to pin much faster, this works most of the time for me

it seem to get really confused by the half face 7500 respirator with sealed 3m goggle that has a much wider fov and the phone just get stuck in a weird screen with a lock symbol on top and no keyboard/prompt lol

looking forward to the day with 12 mini-like same-gen internals and touchid on the lock button

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

mediaphage posted:

haha the new mac mini draws 4 watts at idle, that's kind of awesome
that's sweet af

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

the real 12 mini has brushed aluminum finish. that photo must be some kind of leaked prototype or model but it appears to be the same size and shape as the real mini

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

coke posted:

it seem to get really confused by the half face 7500 respirator with sealed 3m goggle that has a much wider fov and the phone just get stuck in a weird screen with a lock symbol on top and no keyboard/prompt lol
if you tap "face id" it will fall back to passcode, as is expected from tapping "face id"